The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-18-2002, 03:45 PM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril Where did Folco go??

Rereading LotR, I stumbled across a person who's mentioned as one of Frodo's good friends at the beginning, then never spoken of again - Folco Boffin! He helps with the packing for Frodo's move, along with Fatty Bolger, who does stick around for more of the story, showing up at the end as well. But I never found another reference to Folco...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 04:15 PM   #2
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Question

Alas, he seems to have gone the way of the Entwives.

At least Fatty Bolger was mentioned when he got out of the jug, but poor Folco seems to have vanished. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2002, 09:58 AM   #3
Aldagrim Proudfoot
Shade of Carn Dûm

Aldagrim Proudfoot has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Maybe he just didn't have anything else to do with the war of the Ring except maybe being one of the Hobbits at the Battle of Bywater.
Old 07-19-2002, 10:52 AM   #4
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Rimbaud has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Unexpectedly found on an island out in the ocean, clutching a spear and muttering "Never Surrender" some years later.
Old 11-27-2002, 08:36 AM   #5
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Jamaica? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 12:14 AM   #6
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I find it interesting that Tolkien introduces a character, and makes little use of him. He could of skipped Folco all together, and it would have no effect on the plot.
Weird.
Old 11-28-2002, 12:54 AM   #7
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Rimbaud must be reminiscing about Sean Connery's role in First Knight.
Old 11-28-2002, 01:12 AM   #8
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Where have all the hobbits gone?
Gone to Lockholes, every one...

Sorry, that was bad. It is weird that Folco was introduced and then dropped for no discernable reason, though I'm betting that Tolkien just forgot to cut him (in HoME, the names of the hobbit extras, especially in the first few chapters, went through so many revisions that it's a wonder there aren't more incomplete cuts of characters like Folco). It seems like it would have been mentioned if Folco had been in the Lockholes or in the Took Rebellion, or anywhere in the Shire for that matter.

So Folco left the Shire somehow. Three possibilities I can think of (besides, of course, the heretical "Tolkien forgot to follow through on the cut" possibility [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]).

1) Folco, inspired by Bilbo's and Frodo's stories, also by a streak of Tookishness which he may have had in him, took off for parts unknown and was never seen again (though who knows, he may have become as big a name among the Wild Men as Merry and Pippin did among the Rohirrim and the men of Gondor).

2) Folco went boating and met with a tragic demise.

3) Folco bumped into Trotter the Ranger Hobbit while visiting kin in Bree and decided to go traveling with him. Later, disgusted at Trotter's exile from the book, he chose to accompany him instead of abandoning the forsaken character and flocking to the side of Strider.

OK, it's late and I'm silly. Enough for now [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].
Old 11-28-2002, 08:23 PM   #9
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

When will we ever learn
When will we ever learn...

Not to look at threads in which Kalimac has posted! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Sorry. I'm just kidding. I don't know which is more sad, what you said or that I knew imediatly what you were talking about? Oh well.
Old 01-11-2004, 08:22 PM   #10
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

My Too Sense

I'm going to cling to the absolutely baseless belief that Folco was part of the rebels that Fredegar led, and that he was killed in a desperate charge against Sharkey's Men. Were any hobbits killed during the occupation, before the Battle of Bywater?
Old 01-11-2004, 08:24 PM   #11
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I'm sure that some Hobbits were killed by the Ruffians. If they weren't killed outright, they could have been severely injured, and later died of their wounds.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 03:01 AM   #12
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
After over two years of just wondering, I've decided to 'find out' what happened to Folco. I'm having a most fascinating time filling the blank spots in the history of the War of the Rings as it concerns the Shire! Interestingly, some of the things I'm 'discovering' fit in with suggestions made on this thread long ago. I've started writing a fan fiction about Folco; for those who are interested in reading my version of what happened to Tolkien's lost character, it's posted here on the Barrow-Downs Fan Fiction forum. So far, only the prologue and Chapter 1 are there, but I will continue with the following chapters as I have time to write them.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 08:28 AM   #13
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
1420!

Geared up and awaiting chapter two.
mark12_30 is offline   Reply With Quote