The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-12-2003, 07:06 PM   #1
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Amarantha_Daisy has just left Hobbiton.
...What did he say?

Hmmm... Now I have a question. When we first meet Haldir in FotR, Gimli says something in some weird language that...isn't so polite. Or so Aragorn says. What exactly did Gimli say? And what language was that? It didn't sound like Elvish...Or maybe it was...My Elvish isn't too hot...
Old 08-12-2003, 08:06 PM   #2
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> <BR>GIMLI: <B><I>Ishkhaqwi ai durugnul.</I></B><BR>GIMLI: 'I spit upon your grave'<P><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Apparently, <B>Amarantha_Daisy</B>, this is one of the worst insults a dwarf can give; elves are immortal, so what would that mean?... <P>Incidentally, I didn't translate this, I found it at a site online where they have all the elvish dialogue from the movies translated, as well as broken down. It's a pretty neat site, posted in another thread on here if you wanna check it out. I think the thread is called "Elvish in the movies". Hope this helped...

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 08:30 PM   #3
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

Don't we already have a thread on this?

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 09:40 PM   #4
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Sting

Arwen Eruantale:<P>Thanks! Sorry about the repetition. I didn't know there was another thread on it. Should have checked... But... yeah. *laughs* That's a great insult. It shouldn't be...but it's funny. I'm gonna use it sometime...
Old 08-12-2003, 09:48 PM   #5
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

You're Welcome! Don't worry about the repetition, you can just close and/or delete this thread when your finished with it.

Will you pay attention?
Old 08-13-2003, 05:07 PM   #6
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>GIMLI: Ishkhaqwi ai durugnul.<BR>GIMLI: 'I spit upon your grave'<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Sorry guys but in my topic I started a week ago or so on the same subject, I was told that was translated incorrectly. In other words: Gimli does <B>not</B> say 'I spit upon your grave'. It doesn't appear to be translatable, & the only words that match up are something like 'the', & one other. If you want you can always scroll down to nearly the bottom of the page & find my thread, if you want to see what the other people said there. <p>[ August 13, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 05:22 PM   #7
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Sorry O.R.E. - But I think that German translator was talking through his hat, and offers no basis for his rather lame version of Gimli's smart-mouthed remark to Haldir.<BR>Here's a thread that I started on the same question - Smile when you say that, Gimli! - and there is a link mentioned in it regarding Dwarvish words and word fragments. I have a feeling that the Tolkien linquists hired by P.J. just made up Dwarvish "sounds" based on the Good Professor's notes. Whatever the origin of the phrase, I still think Gimli could have come up with something more dissin' than "I spit on your grave." (Ooooooohhhhhhhh! I'm scared!) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> This was said by Birdland, who has 2221 posts, so he/she is probably a fairly credible source. Although the arguement could be made that, "I spit on you grave!", could be rather insulting to an elf, the reason being: Since elves must be killed to die & then be buriede (haveing a grave ), it's kind've like Gimli is telling him that he'll be killed, & then Gilmli will spit on his grave. That puts it in a slightly more insulting light... <p>[ August 13, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
Old 08-13-2003, 05:27 PM   #8
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Exactly, Only Real Estel. I thought I said something to that effect... Maybe I just thought it...

Will you pay attention?
Old 08-13-2003, 05:31 PM   #9
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Yeah, something to that effect. But I was just clarifying it, in a very round-about way!
Old 08-13-2003, 09:08 PM   #10
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Ring

Thanks, everyone! That horrid dwarf! How rude. ...You go, Gimli!<P>Hmmmm... so confusing. That would be insulting, wouldn't it? Owch. The insults these characters come up with seem so much...deeper than things we have nowadays. If that makes *any* sense whatsoever...
Old 08-13-2003, 09:11 PM   #11
birdland

Sting

Frankly, I'm still of the opinion that Gimli said something like "you snotty little ponce"...but that just judging by the tone.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:15 PM   #12
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Frankly, I'm still of the opinion that Gimli said something like "you snotty little ponce"...but that just judging by the tone <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>heh heh heh... I'm gonna crack up from now on, whenever I watch that scene. I could just imagine...
Old 08-17-2003, 04:23 AM   #13
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tarien Ithil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Didn't Gimli say soemthing like "plaque upon my axe" <P>i don't know, I found that somewhere.

Crickhollow
Tarien Ithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 08:11 AM   #14
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Mentioning his axe in that sentence would seem to make a bit more sense, but I don't think any of us will ever really know for sure... <p>[ August 17, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
Old 08-17-2003, 10:09 AM   #15
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

From <A HREF="http://www.elvish.org/gwaith/movie_fotr.htm#gimli" TARGET=_blank>www.elvish.org/gwaith/movie_fotr.htm</A>... <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Gimli's Words [FotR DVD extended version]<P>First time published as a fragment of the movie script revealed by Tolkien-Movies website. It is an unkind aswer of Gimli to Haldir. Included in the extended DVD edition of FotR. According to Andreas Fröhlich, the director of the German translation of the movie, this phrase means: 'I spit upon your grave.' <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>And also <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>gimli: Ishkhaqwi ai durugnul.<BR>gimli: 'I spit upon your grave'<P> <P>ishkhaqwi 'I spit'.<P>ai prep. 'upon', reduced form of aya (WR:20)<P>durugnul 'your grave'.<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>But who knows...not me!
Old 08-18-2003, 02:07 PM   #16
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Many people think the German guy had the translation all wrong though...
Old 08-18-2003, 05:05 PM   #17
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>gimli: Ishkhaqwi ai durugnul.<BR>gimli: 'I spit upon your grave'<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yeah, Only Real Estel, I've read that in several places as well.<BR>But the folks over at theonering.net and most of the '<I>movie elvish</I>' websites that I've seen all seem to say that this is as near to to the correct translation as we're gonna get. <BR>I really don't know, I <I>wish</I> I could speak and understand all of the beloved tongues of Middle Earth, but I am unfortunately unable to take the time to study them enough to even get past a phrase here and there without my trusty little red book. <BR>We'll probably never know... <P><B>Frodo Lives!</B> <I>Pass it on!</I>

Will you pay attention?