The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-13-2002, 09:43 AM   #1
Elven Mistress
Wight

Elven Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Gollum and The One Ring

My deepest apologies if this has been discussed before...

I don't understand how in The Hobbit Gollum couldn't see Bilbo when he put the ring on, but he could see Frodo in ROTK on Mt. Doom.

Any one have any explanations (sp?)??
Old 10-13-2002, 09:58 AM   #2
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Could Gollum see Frodo? I don't think he could.

He could smell Frodo, certainly (no bath in how long???) and no doubt he saw exactly where Frodo was when he put the ring on.

And I think (guessing here, but bear with me) that Frodo would have been far too focused on finally putting the Ring on and wearing it, and experiencing all that that entailed, to move far from the spot. He wasn't putting the Ring on to hide, so why would he have moved away from the spot that he was standing on?

For me, it adds to the suspense that Gollum was "wrestling an unseen foe", because I want Gollum to "win" and get that dratted thing off of Frodo.
Old 10-13-2002, 10:49 AM   #3
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

Quote:
For me, it adds to the suspense that Gollum was "wrestling an unseen foe", because I want Gollum to "win" and get that dratted thing off of Frodo.
Indeed for me as well because my heart sunk when Frodo said:

Quote:
'I have come,' he said. 'But I do not choose now to do what I came to do. I will not do this deed. The Ring is mine!'
I was like "Nooooo, Frodo, no! The Ring has to be destroyed!" Little did I realize that it would be ultimately Gollum who destroyed the Ring along with himself!

And when it was finally destroyed, I had to read and reread that one paragraph 3 or 4 times to understand that the Ring as well as Gollum was no more in ME... [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2002, 12:06 PM   #4
Nils
Wight

Nils has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

How Gollum was able to bite the ring finger off of an invisible foe just demonstrates how Gollum was fulfilling his destiny.

I don't believe Frodo failed in his quest at all. It was Frodo's job to get the ring to Mt. Doom, it was Gollum's job to destoy the ring. At the same time, Gollum was able to end his agony.

I find Gollum's experience even more tragic than Turin's.

~Matthew 12:37
Nils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 12:17 PM   #5
Elven Mistress
Wight

Elven Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I still don't understand completely, why Gollum couldn't find Bilbo when he had the ring on, but could find Frodo. Even if he did see Frodo put the ring on, he fought with the invisable foe so well, like he could see him. Was it just the madness of the ring? i don't understand!
Old 10-13-2002, 01:14 PM   #6
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't think Gollum was able to see him. Sam didn't see him and Gollum came in after Sam. I guess Frodo could definitely smell him and feel him, or I should say: feel the Ring and that means that he knew where Frodo was.
The Ring was at last where it was made and there it's power was tremendous. Gollum had wore and owned it for 500 years or so. His whole mind was bend on the Ring, so i guess he just felt it, as did the Ringwraiths, only he felt it far less accurate.

greetings,
lathspell
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 01:16 PM   #7
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Remember that Gollum would not suspect Bilbo to be aware of the invisibility powers of the Ring (which he didn't, of course) but the Ring slipped onto Bilbo's finger. Gollum rushed along the tunnel in a rage expecting to maybe catch a glimpse of Bilbo running off in the distance and altogether missed the Hobbit crouching at the side of the floor.

Plus I think Gollum did sense Bilbo as he crept nearer to him and he certainly sensed him leaping over him and running off.
Old 10-13-2002, 02:28 PM   #8
Westerly Wizard
Haunting Spirit

Westerly Wizard has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The one ring was originally included in the Hobbit merely as a means for Bilbo to escape from Gollum's lair. Thus, it would not very serve this purpose if Gollum could see Bilbo with the RIng on (thus there isn't really a need for concern over the issue). The more meaningful concern is why Gollum can see Frodo and Sam cannot (which can be answered pretty easily).

If you want a reason for the difference, it may be hard to find because it wasn't of importance (although perhaps Tolkien, the nitpicker that he was, had one in his mind). A possible explanation might come from the idea that when someone was in sunlight with the Ring on, peopel could still see their shadow (as explained in The Hobbit). When Bilbo has the ring on underneath the mountains, it is extremely dark, so no shadow. But when Frodo has the Ring on at Mount Doom, he is standing in front of a fiery pit, so there is light. Gollum, having lived half an age in the dark, would possibly have the ability to make out a shadow easier than Sam.

Personally though, I think Gollum is only able to see Frodo due to his total obsession with the Ring and because he wore it so long. Like the Nazgul are drawn to the ring, so is Gollum (which is why he left the mountains for Mordor). Bilbo does not claim the Ring for his own, but Frodo does, so therefore Frodo is drawn to it like he was to Mordor, and the drawing is strong because they are at the location of the Ring's forging.

Another reason that Gollum could see Frodo but Sam can't is because Gollum has worn the Ring for so long, he now lives partly in the Wraith world that the bearer enters into when he puts on the Ring (like the Nazgul do entirely). Thus, Gollum can still see Frodo.
Old 10-13-2002, 04:40 PM   #9
Taure Leafsilver
Wight

Taure Leafsilver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Taure Leafsilver
Ring

i dont thik gullum could see frodo but i believe that frodo didnt care about being quiet and as it has been said he hadnt bathed in about a year so he smelled pretty bad i bet making it easy for gullum to find and fight him
Old 10-15-2002, 05:22 PM   #10
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Sting

Ok, Taure. Please, for the sake of other readers, use proper grammar and punctuation. I don't understand a word you just said!

I'm not trying to be mean! Seriously! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 06:30 PM   #11
Dwalin
Pile O'Bones

Dwalin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gollum could not see Frodo! Frodo was invisible. Gollum could not see Bilbo either. If you remember, in The Hobbit, Bilbo tripped and fell when Gollum was chasing him. Then the ring slipped on his finger. So, Gollum didn't have time to sniff around and carefully look for Bilbo; he thought the crafty hobbitses was getting away! When Frodo put on the ring, he wasn't running anywhere. I assume he was overwhelmed by the power that claiming the ring brought forth. Thus Gollum had plenty of time to sniff Frodo out. This also kinda helps explain why Gollum was doing such a good job of wrestling with Frodo. It's much easier to tackle a distracted person then an alert person. Furthermore, Gollum would be attracted to the power of the ring when it was claimed, just as the Nazgul were when Frodo claimed it.

Whew! Tired myself out! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]