The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-24-2002, 11:43 PM   #1
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe Let's Go Punting In Mirkwood?

You can probably guess what this is about - it's one of those minor points which are fascinating (well, to me anyway) since they're not really explained. In "The Hobbit" when Bilbo and the Dwarves come across the dark stream, they very fortuitously happen to find a little boat at the other side of the stream, which they haul in with a rope. It wasn't abandoned, since it was still tied up with a painter, but although Tolkien tells us that Thorin "kept his bow ready" in case the owner of the boat appeared, they never found out whose it was.

So where *did* that boat come from? As far as I can tell they were still a fair distance from where the Elvenking lived, and Mirkwood doesn't exactly seem to have had a large population of anything that would be interested in or capable of using a boat (and it must have been a fairly substantial little thing, too, if it could hold the weight of three or four Dwarves at a time). So was it kept by Elves, just in case, or abandoned, or just a (forgive me) Eru Ex Machina? Just curious, since it never does get explained otherwise.
Old 11-25-2002, 04:06 AM   #2
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've always thought the boat was Beorn's. I dunno why but it seems logical to me, and that therefore he knew that he could sent them on the Elven-path.

greetings,
lathspell
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 10:29 AM   #3
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dűm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
Eru Ex Machina
I always assumed it was an elven boat, perhaps a fisherelf or a hermit, but "Eru Ex Machina" is an amusing idea too. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 03:30 PM   #4
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would tend to think that whoever made it, it wasn't the elves. The boat does not seem very elven. The elves would have used strings like in lothlorien. Also, the elves didn't often go into that side of the forest. I agree with lathspell, it was Beorn.
Old 11-25-2002, 06:07 PM   #5
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
1420!

Could the boat have belonged to the Woodmen? I agree it doesn't seem too elvish as it's rope had decayed. (The elves weave to last!) The woodmen seem to have stayed mostly in the West of Mirkwood, perhaps this was the relic of some bold explorer who never came back!
Old 11-25-2002, 06:48 PM   #6
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Silmaril

Well, the Elves of Lórien also used boats (how else would they know to make them so durable?), so you can't really say that the Woodelves would use a rope. Also, it's a little tough to string together a rope bridge just above the water, as opposed to over a chasm or something.

And "Elvish" isn't a generic term; the Noldor (related to Galadriel) Elves of Lórien may have been skilled at weaving rope, while the Silvan Elves of Mirkwood may not have been so skilled, and therefore been unable to create a "rope bridge".

It's my opinion that the boat was just a ferry for the Silvan hunters from Thranduil's caverns. The deteriorating rope was just the Silvan's not-as-good workmanship; who knows how long that rope had been there?

Also, how could any mortals (or Beorn) have been well-enough established in Mirkwood to be able to get a boat in there?
Old 11-25-2002, 07:10 PM   #7
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dűm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Interesting...

I haven't thought about the boat before. Does Beorn travel into Mirkwood much? I remembered his domain stretching from his house to the feet of the Misty Mountains. Though he must have journeyed to Dale from time to time.

Hard to say, woodelves maybe, but ever since Lothlorien in LotR I think of them as using ropes to go across rivers. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2002, 12:22 AM   #8
Man-of-the-Wold
Wight

Man-of-the-Wold has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well, the wood men and others of the Vale of Anduin (who were later termed Beornings, after Beorn and Grimbeorn became more of a cheiftain) were more of West-Mirkwood thing, and if they traversed the forest it would have been on the Old Forest Road, which went in and out of various states of repair.

But the Path was enchanted and in their eyes owned by the Wood Elves of Thranduil's Realm, who perhaps had gone that far west in some time.

Clearly, those Wood Elves were not quite as wary as the ones in Lothlorien. Doubtless, Celeborn's thanes would have done better at not letting Gollum escape, aided or no.
The hoes unrecked in the fields were flung, __ and fallen ladders in the long grass lay __ of the lush orchards; every tree there turned __ its tangled head and eyed them secretly, __ and the ears listened of the nodding grasses; __ though noontide glowed on land and leaf, __ their limbs were chilled.
Man-of-the-Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 06:01 AM   #9
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

The hunters who were chasing the deer. Maybe.
Old 11-28-2002, 01:29 AM   #10
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Thanks for the answers, guys - I was just completely puzzled but this helps organize the possibilities somewhat [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].

Eomer, I'd always been under the impression that the deer hunters were Wood-Elves, Mirkwood just doesn't seem like the kind of the place that men would want to live. Argh. It's confusing. Maybe, though, the boat was Elvish, but from a long time earlier - the Wood-Elves may not have been by that river for quite a long time, and the boat was just left there for whichever reason (which would explain why even an Elven rope decayed somewhat).

Though as Manwe points out, the Wood-Elves may not have been quite the rope-makers that the Lorien Elves were (and the Lorien Elves do seem a little more skilled in crafts in general; it's hard to imagine the Dwarves-in-the-Barrels trick getting past them). Still, it's a good bet that their ropes weren't exactly shoddy, so maybe the boat had been there for twenty or thirty years or so. I don't know why I was taking it for granted that it had to have been abandoned recently (and of COURSE an Elvish boat would have a strong sealant on it [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]).
Old 11-28-2002, 10:49 AM   #11
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I never thought that Men would go near either. But I never thought that Elves would hunt with dogs.
Old 11-29-2002, 05:09 PM   #12
the witch king
Wight

the witch king has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

im gessing wood men or trapers/hunters