The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-01-2003, 12:34 AM   #1
The Evenstar
Wight

The Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril What does Minas mean?

Hey!

Please excuse my ignorance but I’ve noticed so many cities in Middle-earth have the name ‘Minas’ in it so I was just wondering what ‘Minas” actually means. Sorry, I know this isn’t a discussion, really, but I needed to ask that question. Thanks!
Old 04-01-2003, 12:42 AM   #2
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

'Minas' is Sindarin and means 'tower'. If you look closely at the locations so named, you will notice that they are all towers. (And it's just fine to ask questions here - that's what the forum is for!)
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 02:35 AM   #3
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Maybe you'd be interested in a few books on Elvish languages, which would help with the meanings of words, names & places.
There's the Etymologies in volume 5 of HoME. An Introduction to Elvish by Jim Allen, or the cheapest, A Sindarin Lexicon by Kenneth Chaij from the Tolkien Society, which as well as giving a list of Sindarin words & meanings, also shows how to write & pronounce the language. (Scroll down to the Tolkien Society Publications section) http://www.tolkiensociety.org/tstrading/index.html
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 06:34 AM   #4
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Minas Tirith- Tower of the Guard
Minas Ithil- Tower of the Moon
Minas Anor- Tower of the Sun
Minas Morgul- Tower of the Something Which I Cant Remember

Any others i dont know about?
Old 04-01-2003, 08:45 AM   #5
Phrim
Haunting Spirit

Phrim has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Minas Morgul means Tower of Sorcery.
Phrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 11:23 AM   #6
The Evenstar
Wight

The Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hey!

Thank you very much for answering my quetsion. Have a good day.
Old 04-01-2003, 11:27 AM   #7
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You too! And thanks for confirming Minas Morgul. I can never remember the meaning.