Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-23-2010, 10:48 AM   #2641
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Do you all think that it would be alright if, in the near future, we went ahead and moved on to later in the day? I'll write a post sometime about Thornden's search parties going into the marshes, and Dury and I will get a post up eventually with Feaghall and the boys and whatnot. I think we can wait a little while after that and see if anyone comes up with anything. But if no one does, I'm thinking we can move along to the end of the day.

Any thoughts?

-- Foley
Old 08-25-2010, 01:56 PM   #2642
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Hiya folks!

Foley, Firefoot and Dury, I love you! Amazing posts.

I will post now something for Modtryth and if I get inspired, I will also write for Wulfric, Wilheard and/or Cnebba...

As for moving later to the day, I'm all for it. There's nothing urgent I need to interfere with...
Old 08-25-2010, 02:53 PM   #2643
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Posted. Durelin, feel free to have Fearghall approach Modtryth. Folwren, feel free to have the children do whatever they will. Actually, anybody feel free to approach my characters. Modtryth is on her way to the kitchens with Leodern, Wulfric and Wilheard can be anywhere (but separately) and will both be in a very bad mood. My suspicion is that Will would gladly go riding (or even hunting) after a day like this, and Wulfric, hmm, no idea. Use your creativity.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:39 AM   #2644
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Ack. I got sick of school, so I decided to write a post, but then reading all the previous posts and figuring out what to write took too long, so I don't have any more time.

I hope that I get so much of my homework done today that I can post. Keep your fingers crossed, though, 'cause that may just not happen.

-- Foley
Old 09-19-2010, 08:33 PM   #2645
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I REALLY want to write something on here, but I don't want to do it all by myself. If I post, will anyone else post? Chances are, I can work it so that at least one of my characters runs into your character. Please let me know.

-- Foley
Old 09-19-2010, 11:07 PM   #2646
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
I could probably manage a post for Wynflaed on or about Thursday (and if not then, by week's end). I've been anxious to keep this going, too.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:25 AM   #2647
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Hilderinc can make a company to somebody, if need be. I think it will be nice to get this going again
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 09-20-2010, 09:38 AM   #2648
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I can manage something if you approach any of my characters.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:09 AM   #2649
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Durelin has not been online for a month, so I am going to take the liberty of working with Fearghall and actually bringing the boys back...that way, Modtryth can be engaged with the boy characters.

I will also write a post about the search parties in the marshes.

And Nogrod has responded to a PM I sent him and he said we can work with Athanar to free Wynflaed and Saeryn from that so that we can play with those two characters, Mnemosyne.

All that being said, I will do my best to fulfill those ambitious plans just as soon as I have some free time from homework.

P.S. I would like to add that if anyone wants to post, DON'T wait for me to post first! I have nothing planned, so if you writ something, you won't be ruining anything for me.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:55 PM   #2650
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Silmaril

Folwren, any free time in the horizon?
Old 10-05-2010, 02:17 PM   #2651
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Finally... having time in the horizon.

It took longer I expected but now I really should be in again. Let's see this further.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:55 PM   #2652
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
Folwren, any free time in the horizon?
Potentially, yes. If I handle my time correctly and have motivation, absolutely.

What'd'ye want to do?

Nogrod, so glad to see you about. This RPG has been nagging at my mind lately and I'd love to write some.

-- Foley
Old 10-12-2010, 07:37 AM   #2653
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
So, *bump*?

Foley, are you planning still to post something of the things you have mentioned above? And anybody else, are you - are *we* - around? It would be nice to continue this further, yet I am not probably the one to move it forward...

Or what are the plans now anyway? Some things happening in the Hall, the parties returning with no discoveries (or at least the marsh-party)? Any instances towards which we are going to move - evening? Some evaluation of the day by Athanar? Everybody knowing about Lithor and Erbrand missing now via rumor, but will there be any "official stance" made? (Well, that's really looking into the future, but just considering it, and sort of recapitulating also what's going on right now, partially for myself )
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 10-12-2010, 01:56 PM   #2654
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Oh, gosh. Okay, tell you what, today, during class tonight, when I am bored of the professor's ridiculous jokes, I'll work on a post and get it posted tonight or tomorrow morning. How's that sound? I'll cover the people in the marsh and possibly the kids and Captain Feaghall, if the prof is REALLY boring tonight.

--Foley
Old 10-12-2010, 02:24 PM   #2655
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Sounds good to me But no worries. If the prof indeed turns out to be boring however, I think I will be very happy, as well as many others
Old 10-12-2010, 08:48 PM   #2656
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Hello again. I'm back. Looks like you were having lots of fun with the conflict there for a while. Let's see if we can ramp it back up some.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:28 PM   #2657
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
Hello again. I'm back. Looks like you were having lots of fun with the conflict there for a while. Let's see if we can ramp it back up some.
Wait, back as in back, or just popping your head in?
Old 10-13-2010, 03:00 AM   #2658
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnemosyne View Post
Wait, back as in back, or just popping your head in?
Indeed so! A surprise, nice to see you back around at the 'Downs again... But what would be your plans, do you want to stay?
Old 10-13-2010, 03:58 AM   #2659
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
When Samwise said, "Well, I'm back!", what did he mean?

In other words, the answer is 'yes'. Plans? It appears from my scanning of the thread since I went on my little adventure, is that there is a new eorl at Scarburg by the will of the king of the eorlingas. Eodwine will of course obey the king's will. He will also be willing to remain at Scarburg if the new eorl will have him.

Oh, and there's a certain reunion that Eodwine looks forward to in the form of a certain wife....
Old 10-13-2010, 07:59 AM   #2660
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Elempi, my heart (almost) truly stopped and then skipped a beat when I saw you had posted. A bright day just got brigther. Welcome back.

Post 596 on the game thread gives the clearest idea of Athanar's authority. It appears that, upon hearing of Eodwine's condition and the unlikely chance that he should ever recover, King Eomer gave Athanar possession of Scarburg. Do you think he'd change that if Eodwine were to return?

Eodwine's and Saeryn's reunion will be nice. Will he send word before him, or just come? Never mind. I just read your game post and see that he's sending a letter.

And now that Elempi's back, folks, what should we do about this extraordinarily long day? I am currently working on a searching party post and will have it posted within the hour.

-- Foley
Old 10-13-2010, 08:15 AM   #2661
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I posted. Legate and Firefoot, although I wrote to where Thornden turned around, until everyone has decided to move on, you guys can write posts about your characters during the search.

Elempi, would you like an overview of what has happened, or do you think you got most of it by reading?

-- Foley
Old 10-13-2010, 09:39 AM   #2662
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Hi Elempi! Welcome back.

Funny how Elempi's return makes me feel guilty for not posting for a while...
Old 10-13-2010, 09:42 AM   #2663
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Lommy, if you want, I can bring the boys back and then you can post.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:47 AM   #2664
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I'll tell you once I've read your post and thought of what to write about... After all, have four characters atm so I don't have to write about Cnebba.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:02 AM   #2665
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I was thinking perhaps for Modtryth to be able to interact, too....
Old 10-13-2010, 10:11 AM   #2666
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Great posting, Foley. I will see if I want to write something about the search itself, I think that unless I want to introduce some dramatic scene about Hilderinc almost drowning in a pool, I will go through that only very briefly... I don't know if Firefoot is around to post for Léof, so only if he wanted to do something...

Maybe I could have Hilderinc have a few remarks to Thornden when they are still on the way, though. There is still the thing about Hilderinc seeing Thornden talking to "the scout" (as he believes). Hope poor Thornden can cope with this threat of being discovered from all sides
Old 10-13-2010, 10:21 AM   #2667
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Maybe I could have Hilderinc have a few remarks to Thornden when they are still on the way, though. There is still the thing about Hilderinc seeing Thornden talking to "the scout" (as he believes). Hope poor Thornden can cope with this threat of being discovered from all sides
Yeah, that sounds great. I'm perfectly willing for that to happen. Thornden can handle the stress.

-- Foley
Old 10-13-2010, 01:03 PM   #2668
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Elempi, would you like an overview of what has happened, or do you think you got most of it by reading?

-- Foley
I'm satisfied with my reading. My thought is that Eodwine will not know what has been going on, and so I don't want to know too well either. That would make it come off more realistic. Of course, I know enough anyway, for example that Athanar has been having a lot of difficulty establishing his authority in spite of King Eomer's writ of proclamation because of Scarburgians' loyalty to a certain previous eorl. (whistles guiltily)

Quote:
Funny how Elempi's return makes me feel guilty for not posting for a while...

I do need to know how much rpg time has passed. Some help?
Old 10-13-2010, 01:19 PM   #2669
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
I do need to know how much rpg time has passed. Some help?
Ha. Not much...uh, let me see...Saeryn is something like three months pregnant, maybe? And we're calculating that she conceived immediately after marraige. And this is just the day after Athanar's arrival. Eodwine wouldn't know about her pregnancy, I don't think. But I could be wrong. In fact, I wil check to make certain, because I might easily be wrong.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:56 PM   #2670
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Just like Foley said, and I could add that it is the 12th November in the game (now finishing the day, actually). You can compare it with the game-time you remember, LMP There's been some dispute with these nearby lords and that's why Athanar was appointed, also to sort of bring order and make sure they are really serving their king and not just stuffing their own treasuries and such... I guess that's the main few points from the "global picture"...

P.S. My post for Hilderinc is almost ready
Old 10-13-2010, 02:25 PM   #2671
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Okay, I was wrong - Eodwine knew about the baby.

K, I knocked up a brief outline. Here we are...

August 9, Saery and Eodwine married.
October 9th, Eodwine falls ill.
October 10th, the three significant lords of the Middle Emnet come to Scarburg. They refuse to recognize Saeryn's and Thornden's authority and don't pay taxes, but offer to give a gift so they can survive the next month...how kind.
November 10, Degas comes back into town. (Post 506)
November 11, Lord Athanar and his entourage comes to Scarburg. (post 509)
And I believe we are now writing about November 12.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:31 PM   #2672
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Posted. So in the end, I didn't make Hilderinc address Thornden directly, as it would not make any sense in these circumstances, but if Thornden was paying attention, he would be reminded once again now that Hilderinc saw him and Lithor in the morning and that Thornden, if nothing else, had not denied the fact that he has seen this particular person leaving... it could be a matter of time if Hilderinc remembers this, or perhaps Thornden might hope that he will forget it... nonetheless, probably just one more worry to add for Thornden
Old 10-13-2010, 03:07 PM   #2673
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Posted. So in the end, I didn't make Hilderinc address Thornden directly, as it would not make any sense in these circumstances, but if Thornden was paying attention, he would be reminded once again now that Hilderinc saw him and Lithor in the morning and that Thornden, if nothing else, had not denied the fact that he has seen this particular person leaving... it could be a matter of time if Hilderinc remembers this, or perhaps Thornden might hope that he will forget it... nonetheless, probably just one more worry to add for Thornden
I think you're right about Hilderinc probably not addressing Thornden. Little reason to.

And thanks. Thornden needed something extra to worry about.

-- Foley
Old 10-13-2010, 05:13 PM   #2674
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Lord Eodwine is getting better!

Yay!

And welcome back lmp!

The obvious question now of course is how soon in real time would you like to get involved with the matters in Scarburg? Looking at the way we have advanced it would take like ten years (RL) to move us forwards for let's say a month or two it might take from lord Eodwine to both get better and to travel to Scarburg...

I think we could skip some time soonish, but what would be the believable time-frame Eodwine could be back? I mean we'd need to figure out how things went as there clearly is a confrontation ahead with the local landlords. And looking at lord Athanar's character, he would not stay low and wait but take the initiative.

I'm not sure right now if I have made lord Athanar to say this aloud in the thread (or only as PM's to some whose characters we have been discussing), but his idea was that he and the soldiers from Scarburg would visit the landlords one by one - and make sure no messengers could make it between the landlords to warn the others.

That confrontation would need to be written. After that, especially if it ends well on the POV of the Scarburgians we could easily turn the clock onwards. Although we'd have to think a moment, how the new order would have settled then in Scarburg after the more or less succesful submission of the landlords.

So lmp, if you're interested in coming forwards sooner than later, we should try to tie any loose ends there are right now, and then prepare something to carry us to the future.

I can write that confrontation stuff because I have already thought of a few things about it, and after all it's lord Athanar's thing to call and lead that tour. But I'm more than happy with any input from you others concerning it.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:49 PM   #2675
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Is Harreld still the blacksmith? Anything known about all that? And what was the name of the young lady he liked?

If so, then I can write Harreld a wee bit while Eodwine waits in the wings. Don't rush into tying up loose strings on my account! I have plenty to do here and there in RL. And I can keep Eodwine's story line running at the Houses of Healing, too.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:50 PM   #2676
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Yeah, Harreld is still blacksmith, so far as I know. And Ginna was his girl.

Our first step is to finish this day up. Nogrod, what would you like to see happen before we move on?
Old 10-13-2010, 06:42 PM   #2677
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Our first step is to finish this day up. Nogrod, what would you like to see happen before we move on?
The searchers should report back - and if no one has a special idea, then we could make it the next day.

The next day lord Athanar would ride off with the soldiers to meet the landlords one by one.

What is your general feeling, would you like to write on that everyone (who has soldier-characters) so that we would make it a kind of "stuff to write" or should we just skip it with one post by me?

Or should we like write one of the meetings together and then let the others to go past by just one post? Maybe getting ready to go there, the first meeting... (This is the option I'd prefer) I mean if we start writing all those confrontations one by one it will take month(s), but I'd like to see you others writing something on that anyway. And we might have a chance to strengthen (or lessen) some dawning friendships there when they face some real trouble together?

Let's not forget that we'd do well to then also write something about how the life gets settled in the Mead Hall after this most urging problem is dealt with and thus should not spend a half a year getting us over the first hurdle.

And lmp, what would you think, in gametime, would it be when Eodwine might make it back - or a messenger could deliver the message that he is coming? That would help us plan for the timetables after the immediate confrontation...
Old 10-13-2010, 06:54 PM   #2678
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Only a couple of other things I can think of for the particular day's agenda--getting things ready for the searchers' return, treating the attacked soldier, and Saeryn telling Athanar about the additional desertion. I can help move along the preparations back in the Mead-Hall, but Wynflaed's still so new that she'll want Saeryn's help--both because she knows what's going on and because the household staff trusts her.

We should also probably start thinking, long term, how much of our agenda we newcomers want to have achieved so that when we receive news of Eodwine's recovery there will be enough havoc to deal with. From a story-internal perspective, we could really take our time, but externally I think we should move things along a bit.

I know Athanar and Wynflaed were only planning on staying as long as necessary, but out of game things were supposed to be a good deal more flexible. If we want to extend the conflict into the transition back, about the best thing that I can think of, at the moment, to make Athanar's Scarburgian interests at least a little more long-term, would be to have one of his sons knock up a maid...

I don't know if that's a good or a terrible idea, though, and I don't write any of the parties who would be directly involved.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:52 PM   #2679
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Lommy, I posted. I was going to have Modtryth come out of the kitchen and spot them and then I realized that was your privilege, so I didn't.

I have no time to comment on Mnemosyne's and Nogrod's posts and give my own ideas and ask my questions...sorry. I'll try to get on tomorrow sometime, though.

-- Foley
Old 10-14-2010, 03:50 AM   #2680
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
What is your general feeling, would you like to write on that everyone (who has soldier-characters) so that we would make it a kind of "stuff to write" or should we just skip it with one post by me?
Personally, I think it will be a pity if we just skipped it with one post. I mean, if LMP really does not mind (or can post for other characters meanwhile), I don't think we are in any "hurry hurry" rightaway. And since this meeting the landlords was sort of the "most epic" part, the sort of "epic plot" aside from general hanging around in the Hall (and one of the main reasons why Athanar and his people came, anyway), I think it won't do if we just passed it with "And the next day, they visited the lords, threatened them a bit and came back home". I am, of course, speaking especially for my character(s?) as this is finally the place where the soldiers are supposed to be.

Otherwise: there has not been still any official proclamation on Athanar's part concerning the fugitives; is he going to leave it be (since they haven't been caught) and keep it just for rumors among the folk? Not sure if this is Athanar's style and probably not any lord's style, anyway. So perhaps now that the parties return and report, Athanar might want to put some "official position" forwards? (This is probably to Foley and Dury, but depends if they want to write about Thornden and Coen reporting, or if Nog can make it with one post and write about how Athanar reacted.) This is probably also related to Wynflaed, like Mnemo said, and all these various points of view can meet...

Likewise, the "common folk" (including both peasants and soldiers) can still react to Erbrand and Lithor's disappearance and the fact that they haven't been found, and also to react if Athanar makes any official proclamation (that will sort of give the basic impulse from which it will be easy to write). Or even if he tries to hush it up for some reason...
I think the point is that here we have good chances to shape our characters, and there are still so many unsolved things, the old-new Scarburg thing a bit brought forth by this again, old friendships Erbrand had, etc, etc...

Anyway, this looks like it could be a lot of things, but I think it depends only on how fast we post, like, it can be done as fast as in one day RL, with let's say two posts from each person. (That's not supposed to be hurrying people up, that is more like encouraging in case it started to seem to somebody that we have million posts in front of ourselves and we cannot possibly ever finish doing that. There used to be times when we'd write such a thing in day or two just on a rather random basis, I think, without having too much illusions, that we could do it over a week...)

Quote:
Or should we like write one of the meetings together and then let the others to go past by just one post? Maybe getting ready to go there, the first meeting... (This is the option I'd prefer) I mean if we start writing all those confrontations one by one it will take month(s), but I'd like to see you others writing something on that anyway. And we might have a chance to strengthen (or lessen) some dawning friendships there when they face some real trouble together?
I think one meeting is fine - unless somebody gets a brilliant idea about doing something different in different meetings. But basically, just like you say. Let us see once we are there...