The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-16-2002, 11:17 AM   #1
Ibun_Clawarrow
Pile O'Bones

Ibun_Clawarrow has just left Hobbiton.
Sting When it comes right down to it...

Okay, we all know that Elves were supposed to be the most beautiful and skillful creatures ever to set foot on Arda, but when it comes right down to it, can we really say it would be better to be an elf or that they're better than Men? I've been thinking about this for awhile, and it's beginning to seem like being an immortal elf isn't all its cracked up to be. Elves seem to have many of the same faults that people do; jealosy, anger, bloodlust, hatred, lust etc. And their immortal nature does seem to present them from being more curious about lfe. I mean, if you've been around for 3,000+ years, life can get pretty boring, I imagine, but Men, with their short life spans, feel the need to go out an accomplish their dreams as soon as possible. Don't get me wrong, I love the Elves, but I'm beginning to realize that being an Elf is more than just singing songs about stars. I imagine every ME race has its pros and cons though.
Isil was first wrought and made ready, and first rose into the realms of the stars, and was the elder of the new lights, as was Telperion of the Trees. Then for a while the world had moonlight, and many things stirred and woke that had waited long in the sleep of Yavanna. The servants of Morgoth were filled with amazement, but the Elves of the Outer Lands looked up in delight; and even as the Moon rose above the darkness in the West, Fingolfin let blow his silver trumpets and began his march into Middle Earth, and the shadows of his host went long and black before them.
Ibun_Clawarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 12:48 PM   #2
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Well, that kinda goes along the lines of mortality being the "doom of Men" and immortality being the "doom of Elves".
The grass always looks greener on the other side, but when you hop the fence the grass may look greener on the side you just hopped from.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 01:27 PM   #3
The Half-Hobbit
Haunting Spirit

The Half-Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Half-Hobbit
Pipe

I believe that elves and men are different but equal. It is easy for elves to seem superior to men at first glance because the gifts that Illuvatar gave to men are strange: death, and restlessness to seek beyond the world, and the power to shape their own fate beyond that which was laid down by the music of the Ainur. That is why men often stray from the light.
Elves have the greater bliss, but I think that men have a greater influence on the world's fate.
But really I'm not actually your friend,
But I am.
-They Might Be Giants
The Half-Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 07:18 PM   #4
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

Elves, are men as if they had never left the Garden of Eden.
Qoute from Tolkien in the Autobiography
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 11:00 PM   #5
Ibun_Clawarrow
Pile O'Bones

Ibun_Clawarrow has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't know if I would say Elves are like Men in the Garden of Eden. Remember Adam and Eve were innocent befor eating the apple from the Tree of Life ad afterwards they kne the diference between good and evil. The Elves definate know the dffererence and they do a fair amount of killing, lusting and other stuff (examples: Feanor, Eol, Celegorm, Cufurin, etc.) They're people too, I suppose, or they have many of the same flaws that humans do at any rate.
Isil was first wrought and made ready, and first rose into the realms of the stars, and was the elder of the new lights, as was Telperion of the Trees. Then for a while the world had moonlight, and many things stirred and woke that had waited long in the sleep of Yavanna. The servants of Morgoth were filled with amazement, but the Elves of the Outer Lands looked up in delight; and even as the Moon rose above the darkness in the West, Fingolfin let blow his silver trumpets and began his march into Middle Earth, and the shadows of his host went long and black before them.
Ibun_Clawarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 01:29 PM   #6
Jessica Jade
Wight

Jessica Jade has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jessica Jade
Sting

There are pros and cons to both. Elves are immortal, and their memory lasts for ages,but men grow old and die, and lessons they learn are quickly forgotten. However, The Gift (or Doom) of Men allows them to die and to be free from the circles of the world, whereas elves are forever bound to Arda.

Quote from ch. 1 of Quenta Silmarillion:
Quote:
It is with this gift of freedom that the children of Men dwell only a short space in the world alive, and are not bound to it, and depart soon whither the elves know not. Whereas the Elves remain until the end of days, and their love of the Earth and all the world is more single and more poignant therefore, and as the years lengthen ever more sorrowful. ... But the sons of Men die indeed, and leave the world...death is their fate, the gift of Iluvatar, which as Time wears even the Powers shall envy.
Before i read the Sil i had thought that Elves are what Man would have been like if not for the fall of Adam and Eve, but in LOTR, it was all from the perspective of men, hobbits, dwarves...to them, elves seemed Magical because they (hobbits, men, etc) knew so little about the elves. Now i think i'd still rather be human. Although i'd like to dwell in the bliss of Valinor or Tol Erresea, i'd probably wnat to be free from the circles of the world one day rather than be bound to it forever.

The musicians had indeed laid bare the youngest, most innocent of our ideas of life, the indestructible yearning for the way things aren't and can never be. ~ Philip Roth, The Human Stain
Jessica Jade is offline   Reply With Quote