The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-19-2002, 06:04 PM   #1
Belegfanaion
Animated Skeleton

Belegfanaion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Belegfanaion
Sting Rings of Power

Okay, so I got to thinking one day: "If the One Ring has the power to turn its wearer invisible, what do Narya, Nenya, Vilya, the 7 Dwarven Rings, and the nine Rings given to men do for their wearers?" Anybody care to help me out? I mean, I know that each ring has another name like "Ring of Fire," "Ring of Water," etc. but WHAT SPECIAL POWER DO THEY BESTOW UPON THOSE WHO DARE TO SLIP THEM ON? Thanks for trying to help me out! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
As Frodo did so, he now saw fine lines, finer than the finest pen-strokes, running along the ring, outside and inside: lines of fire that seemed to form the letters of a flowing script. They shone piercingly bright, and yet remote, as if out of a great depth.
'I cannot read the fiery letters,' said Frodo in a quavering voice.
'No,' said Gandalf, 'but I can. The letters are Elvish, of an ancient mode, but the language is that of Mordor, which I will not utter here. But this in the Common Tongue is what is said, close enough:
One Ring to Bring them all and in the darkness bind them.'"
Belegfanaion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 07:34 AM   #2
michael

Sting

Beeing invisible was a side effect of the ring. Remember that it was "invented" in "The Hobbit" which it was a rather childish (I mean for children, not naive) book. So that property of the ring existed before the emerging of the others and could not be changed by Tolkien. It was a lesser, but inevitable to mention power of the ring. Could anybody think that Sauron had any need to be invisible? Remember he was a spirit "dressed" with shape. So the One HAD to make you invisible just because it was written so in "Hobbit". As for the other rings it doesn' matter. It' unworthy to mention
Old 04-20-2002, 08:37 AM   #3
inglorion
Haunting Spirit

inglorion has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The One Ring gave power according to one´s own power, so Frodo and Bilbo only became invisible and had very accute senses when wearing the Ring, maybe because they - being hobbits - were very stealthy and perceptive in their own nature. When for instance Gandalf or Galadriel would have taken the Ring the power they would draw from the Ring would probably be far greater.

The Elven rings were designed to give protection, healing and preserving.
Old 04-20-2002, 11:35 AM   #4
Orodhromeus
Wight

Orodhromeus has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orodhromeus
Sting

We can suppose that the Three were invisible depending on the will of the bearer: Gandalf didn't reveal Narya (?) until the end and I think Frodo saw Nenya (?) not until Galadriel decided to show it to him. But the Three don't make ther bearer invisible. The Nazgûl became invisible because they served the Dark Lord too long, not because they wore the Nine too long. So we can suppose only the One Ring out of the 20 Rings of Power rendered invisible.
Orodhromeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 12:19 PM   #5
Belegfanaion
Animated Skeleton

Belegfanaion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Belegfanaion
Sting

Good points all of you. I commend you for your excellent intellect in this matter. Thanks! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
As Frodo did so, he now saw fine lines, finer than the finest pen-strokes, running along the ring, outside and inside: lines of fire that seemed to form the letters of a flowing script. They shone piercingly bright, and yet remote, as if out of a great depth.
'I cannot read the fiery letters,' said Frodo in a quavering voice.
'No,' said Gandalf, 'but I can. The letters are Elvish, of an ancient mode, but the language is that of Mordor, which I will not utter here. But this in the Common Tongue is what is said, close enough:
One Ring to Bring them all and in the darkness bind them.'"
Belegfanaion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 07:46 PM   #6
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Quote:
The One Ring gave power according to one´s own power, so Frodo and Bilbo only became invisible and had very accute senses when wearing the Ring, maybe because they - being hobbits - were very stealthy and perceptive in their own nature
Remember when Tob Bombadil put on the One Ring? He did not become invisable.
Old 04-20-2002, 08:12 PM   #7
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Ring

I believe that invisibility was a property that could be used at the will of the wearer. I think that it was possible to wear the Ring and be visible if the wearer wanted to be seen.

I might be wrong about that, but I think I read that somewhere.
Old 04-21-2002, 01:02 AM   #8
Thalionyulma
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thalionyulma has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I partially agree with Kuruharan. But I think it said somewhere that the Ring had no power over Tom Bombadil.

Anyone can correct me on this... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Thalionyulma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 03:45 AM   #9
Olorin_The_Grey
Pile O'Bones

Olorin_The_Grey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You are correct, the Ring only granted invisibility to those with no power. Tom Bombadil was not affected
Old 04-22-2002, 08:27 AM   #10
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Ring wouldn't turn you invisible if you could control the Ring. If you could, you might become visible and invisible at will, but Frodo could not.

Tom Bombadil didn't turn invisible, because he was Master. Nothing could 'harm' him, between his borders.
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 05:38 AM   #11
hulle

Sting

As some have already mentioned here in this post it is really obvious to me what the ring does to the bearer. It is such a powerful ring. With Saurons dark force in it. Anyone who puts on the ring or even is the bearer of the ring will be used in some way by the ring. They might indeed get benefits from the ring but we do only know from the Hobbits who use it and Gollum that it makes them invisible. Tom who does not become invisible is an extraordinary character whom I would really like to know more about. He seems to be totally unaffected by its power and he also does not seem to be able to use it ... very interesting.

Magnus