The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-03-2002, 08:46 AM   #1
Niphredil Baggins
Wight

Niphredil Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Silmarillion fanfiction?

Anyone know any good Silmarillian fanfiction?

One good author is here: http://www.fanfiction.net/profile.php?userid=168427

And my own works are here: http://www.fanfiction.net/profile.php?userid=138394

I want more!
Old 04-03-2002, 08:54 AM   #2
Ithilwen
Animated Skeleton

Ithilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Funny you should ask that now - I recently sent several Silmarillion-based fanfics (both stories and poems) to the Downs, and am currently working on another which should be ready to post fairly soon. So keep checking the Barrowdowns fanfiction section! I'll try to find the urls of some other good Sil-based stories I recently read tonight - I have the printouts at home, but don't remember the Web addresses off the top of my head. Thanks for the links! I also enjoy good Silmarillion-based stories.
Old 04-03-2002, 02:19 PM   #3
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I am sure you could find some posted on fanfiction.net - there are, I think, over 1,000 Tolkien base fan fics there - though, I tend to steer away from them because I want to keep my visions of Middle Earth and it's characters through Tolkien's eyes. So, I haven't read any to let you know if they are good or not.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 11:11 AM   #4
Ithilwen
Animated Skeleton

Silmaril

Niphredil, I'm sorry it took me so long, but here are the urls I promised I'd find. There's a good story about Finrod called "Departure" at fanfiction.net. The address ishttp://www.fanfiction.net/read.php?storyid=354422

There are also several good, but very short, pieces in the Short Prose section of the Fanfiction Archive at The Middle Earth Fan Fiction Archive. I recommend the pieces written by Eru, Valacirca, Varda, and especially Gwindor.

I'll let you know if I come across any other nice Silmarillion fics!
Old 04-12-2002, 03:06 PM   #5
Ithilwen
Animated Skeleton

Silmaril

Another good piece of Silmarillion-based fanfiction is here - A Chain of Love. Although it does have a few typos and grammatical errors which make me think the writer's native language may not be English, overall, it's well-written. At least, i enjoyed it. And despite the reputation of this site, it's NOT slash!
Old 04-12-2002, 03:20 PM   #6
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Modest though I may be *cough* you may wish to check out Tales from Tol Eressea, particularly the three part Conversations in Avallone, posted at the Downs at our fan fiction section.here

[ April 12, 2002: Message edited by: Mithadan ]
Old 04-16-2002, 11:40 AM   #7
Ithilwen
Animated Skeleton

Silmaril

Here's another good author I recently found at fanfiction.net, with several excellent Silmarillion-based stories (although one or two are slashy) - Finch. Also, check out this story by Joan Milligan - Alqualonde- and these two by Le Chat Noir, The Star in the Ocean andOf Iron and of Steel. And check out their favorite author and story recommendations (linked under their author pages) - the folks who write good stuff generally seem to recommend other good pieces, and it helps avoid the fruitless searching through endless Mary Sue and "I love Legolas" stories that are cluttering up fanfiction.net these days. People ARE writing good stuff, it's just hard to find!

I second the suggestion to read Mithadan's stuff here at Barrowdowns, also. It's a pity that he hasn't written more (HINT, HINT!).
Old 04-17-2002, 07:34 AM   #8
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

OK, ok. Enough complaining. The latest Tales from Tol Eressea was begun a few days ago. It theorizes that the War of the Jewels was in fact the result of a lovers' squabble between Feanor and Morgoth...NOT! But Tales V is in the works.
Old 04-17-2002, 08:04 AM   #9
Niphredil Baggins
Wight

Niphredil Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thanks! Hey, Finch recommends me! That means I'm not terrible... My pen name at fanfiction.net is Arwen Imladviel, which is a translation of my real name. Anyway, I'm going to keep these links in mind. A lot to read, ahh... Another good writer:
Oboe-wan.
Old 04-18-2002, 07:32 AM   #10
Ithilwen
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Mithadan - a lover's quarrel between Feanor and Morgoth!!! Guess that would be the ultimate Middle Earth slash pairing! Do you have any idea how much pain prolonged hysterical laughter causes a person? I owe you for that, mister!

Anyway, it's good to hear that more Tales are on their way. I can hardly wait until you finish it!
Old 04-22-2002, 11:07 AM   #11
Ithilwen
Animated Skeleton

Silmaril

My fics have finally been posted here at the Downs! Check them out if you like Sil-based stuff.

I also have quite a few more stories and poens posted at fanfiction.net, if you decide you like my work and want to read more. The url to my author page is http://www.fanfiction.net/profile.php?userid=197536

[ April 22, 2002: Message edited by: Ithilwen ]
Old 04-22-2002, 01:19 PM   #12
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Thumbs up

Just read the stories which you posted on our Fan Fiction pages, Ithilwen. Great job! Writing in the first person is very difficult and you handled it wonderfully!
Old 04-23-2002, 10:01 PM   #13
Ithilwen
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Thanks for the compliment, Mithadan! If you liked those, I have several more (including a sequal to Dark Forge) posted at Fanfiction.net which I haven't submitted to the Downs because they're either 1. long or 2. very violent or explicit, and we don't have a rating system here. You might enjoy them, though.

Oh, and although I appreciate the flattery, you really shouldn't be responding to posts, you know. You don't have the time - you've got a new Tale to write, after all (can you tell I'm impatient?) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]