The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-18-2002, 08:34 PM   #1
Wormtongue
Pile O'Bones

Wormtongue has just left Hobbiton.
1420! Smeagol, Deagol, & their race of beings

Hail all! I've read all there really is to read about these interesting braches of Hobbit, and was wondering about the vastly numerous portrayals of these creatures. I've seen him (Gollum) pictured as almost a quasi-amphibian with green skin and bulbous eyes to an emaciated little naked halfling with long hands and feet. I opt for the latter, but he doesn't seem as devilish and slimey as the pitiful halfling type would make him out to be. A number of pictures I've seen float in between frog-man and gnome. I'm curious as to your general mental image (is it the same as the movie?) of these people and if you've any more information than what Gandalf reveals in Fellowship, feel free to enlighten my rogueish countenance! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Bowstring and steel will prevail..."
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Manowar
Wormtongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 08:47 PM   #2
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If I'm understanding your question right, you're wondering what Gollum would have looked like "pre-Ring"?

My own image of the three branches is that they reflect the three races of Middle Earth; Harfoots being the most "mannish", Fallohides being like elves, and Stoors reflecting dwarves, (mainly because they had facial hair.)

Mind you, they all look like Hobbits. Your never going to mistake a Halfling for a Man, Elf or Dwarf. I just think that each branch had a slight overlay of these physical traits to them.

Tolkien even suggests that their interests and personalities reflect the Three Races. Fallohides were more interested in hunting and the arts. Harfoots copied the homes and farming of Man. So I suppose the Stoors may have had a touch of the "love of wealth" that defined the Dwarves.

which kind of explains Smeagol's un-natural attraction to the Ring the moment he saw it.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 04:00 AM   #3
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The only thing said that I know of is that they are akin to the ancestors of the ancestors of the stoors. So I guess he would look hobbit-like most of all the M-E races.

I've made thread on this case too: Bilbo & Gollum. I guess it's somewhere on the second page of Books II.
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 04:40 AM   #4
Bramblerose Gamgee-Took
Haunting Spirit

Bramblerose Gamgee-Took has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My mental images of the three hobbits kinds some pretty much the same as Birdlands description, but Gollum to me, I guess looked liked a slimy green hobbit, with big silver eyes, and very decietful, yet pathetic. That is what your asking, isnt it? [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]
Bramblerose Gamgee-Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 05:21 AM   #5
Shadowfax Clawson
Pile O'Bones

Shadowfax Clawson has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Shadowfax Clawson
Shield

I seem to remember Tolkien writing something to the effect of Gollum's skin being pale and tallow, such as many creatures who make their homes in caves. I found they portrayal in the movie of his eyes to be the best thing about him; pale, malicious, and ghostly grey. However, I always have imagined him with pale skin, characteristic of cave creatures, with any pigment leached over the 500 years he made his home in the Misty Mountains.

Great question, Wormtongue!
Old 04-20-2002, 12:49 PM   #6
Belegfanaion
Animated Skeleton

Belegfanaion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Belegfanaion
Sting

Well, if ya want my point of view, I read the Hobbit WAY before the movie FOTR came out, and I only read LOTR after seeing the movie, so I only had the Hobbit to go on. But I'd imagined a slimy Halfling-sized creature with long, black groping fingers, perhaps something like a mole with large round eyes that were adept at seeing in the dark. He/It wold have had long legs and fin-like feet and hands for swimming, a keen sense of smell, and, obviously, a love for treasure, as was made clear in the LOTR. That's how I'd imagined him. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
As Frodo did so, he now saw fine lines, finer than the finest pen-strokes, running along the ring, outside and inside: lines of fire that seemed to form the letters of a flowing script. They shone piercingly bright, and yet remote, as if out of a great depth.
'I cannot read the fiery letters,' said Frodo in a quavering voice.
'No,' said Gandalf, 'but I can. The letters are Elvish, of an ancient mode, but the language is that of Mordor, which I will not utter here. But this in the Common Tongue is what is said, close enough:
One Ring to Bring them all and in the darkness bind them.'"
Belegfanaion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 04:31 PM   #7
avarerniliel
Haunting Spirit

avarerniliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to avarerniliel
The Eye

How I think of Gollum...hmmm...pale, blue, rotting skin, bulbous eyes, keen smell and hearing, greasy, strangly, and little hair, a sunken face, skinny, malnourished, gruesome, large hands and feet, gangly, a body that's too small for him, and all that Gollum is wearing is a loincloth.

It's amazing how you never hear of anyone picturing Gollum in a pink tu-tu with curly blonde hair...oh well. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Wormtounge! Long time, no see! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
avarerniliel is offline   Reply With Quote