The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-29-2002, 12:05 AM   #1
Mayla Took
Wight

Mayla Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Mayla Took
Ring What was Smeagol/Gollum anyway.......

Many people have told me that Smeagol was (before he got the Ring) a Hobbit!!! I dissagree. To me that just doesn't sound correct. Doesn't Gandalf in the FOTR tell Frodo that they were a web footed race that lived by the river? Am I mistaken? Was Gullom REALLY a Hobbit?!?!!?
Bilbo to Merry and Pippin

"Fool of a Took! This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!"
Gandalf to Pippin in Moria

E-mail me at mailto:ThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.comThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.com</A>
Oh, and please rate me. THANKS!
Mayla Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 02:52 AM   #2
Eowyn of Ithilien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn of Ithilien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I believe it is stated somewhere in one of the books (specifics-ah well! :/) that Smeagol was at least of a hobbit-like race, if not a "real" hobbit
But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
Eowyn of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 02:56 AM   #3
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

It's in the 'Shadow of the Past.' Gandalf didn't mention webbed feet, but said Smeagol was likely related to the particular race of Hobbits, the Stoors (mentioned in 'About Hobbits' in the Prologue). But you have good company: Frodo was also horrified!

-Maril
Old 01-29-2002, 07:41 AM   #4
Hama
Pile O'Bones

Hama has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Don't forget, Gollum had been wearing the ring and hiding in the depths of the Misty Mountains for centuriesss my precious. His physical form had been twisted by this: the ring does that sort of thing. With the Nine, it sucked their physical form until they became the wraiths. For a Hobbit, the process is slower, due to their seeming resistance.
Old 01-29-2002, 11:18 PM   #5
Mayla Took
Wight

Mayla Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Mayla Took
Thumbs up

Wow! Thanks guys! That helps my understanding greatly! Great informataion. Thanks again!
Bilbo to Merry and Pippin

"Fool of a Took! This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!"
Gandalf to Pippin in Moria

E-mail me at mailto:ThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.comThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.com</A>
Oh, and please rate me. THANKS!
Mayla Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 05:42 AM   #6
Manwe
Haunting Spirit

Manwe has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I've been thinking a bit over Hobbits customs they give away things on thier birthdays, however Smeagol says that the ring is his birthday-present. That means that it's a rathernew cutom, not more than 300 yeaers or how old smeagol is.
Old 02-04-2002, 03:36 PM   #7
Jjudvven
Wight

Jjudvven has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jjudvven
Sting

HE was more like 1000 years old I thought...
Old 02-04-2002, 04:39 PM   #8
Rhudladion
Haunting Spirit

Rhudladion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Manwe, I'm not so sure that means the custom is new. How do you know that this doesn't speak to the ring's evil nature. What I mean is...maybe the custom was intact, and the fact that Gollum claims the ring as his present shows us how the ring attempts to destroy things (customs) and the like; or how selfish it tries to make the bearer, so as to rebel against the lifestyle of his/her people.

Just a thought...
Rhudladion is offline   Reply With Quote