The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2016, 08:17 AM   #801
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
1420!

Cheers, Legate! You are an excellent representative of the spirit of the Downs that has kept me coming here for longer than I ever would have expected from an internet forum.

Here's to another 10.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:48 AM   #802
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Seconded! Congratulations on the double digits!
It's weird to think that I've been dead longer than you were when I first joined. It seemed like everyone has been around so much longer.

And I wonder what it says about me that I also found the Downs through an unrelated Google search, and had to stick my not too well thought out opinion into the first thread I saw. Your story is way better, and as you say, you can always blame the Holy Spirit.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:12 PM   #803
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
White-Hand

Thirded! Happy deathday, Legate, rest in peace and may the Fff-, er, Flame of Anor always be with you! Thank you for the story of your first visit to the Downs - the subject of your query strikes me as characteristic of both yourself and the forum, which has always been a good place to explore the spiritual and philosophical ramifications of Tolkien's legendarium. I also took the time to dig up your old trhead about Saruman's interest in the Shire and couldn't help smiling at the discussion of Saruman's smoking habit, which reminded me of my own first post here, answering a riddle of yours about this very subject.

Belated condolences also to G55, sally, Nerwen and Agan (how could I have missed this?)!
Old 11-15-2016, 02:27 PM   #804
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Thank you all for the warm, ee, cold wishes It has been truly a gift to be in such a company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
I also took the time to dig up your old trhead about Saruman's interest in the Shire and couldn't help smiling at the discussion of Saruman's smoking habit, which reminded me of my own first post here, answering a riddle of yours about this very subject.
Now you made me look it up, and I got sort of stuck reading the surrounding couple of pages. What fun! What a thread! And what an entry from you
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 02:28 PM   #805
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Well, I'm very glad you decided to join.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:56 PM   #806
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Three cheers for Legate!

\o/ \o/ \o/ Huzzah! \o/ \o/ \o/

Old 11-15-2016, 10:07 PM   #807
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan View Post
Three cheers for Legate!

For some reason this reminded me of the scene in Macbeth where the three witches make their prophecies.

Hail Legate, the guest of Galadriel in Lothlorien.

Hail Legate, who passes beneath the Argonath.

Hail Legate, who shall be...
I don't know what's the next reputation level, and couldn't find it anywhere. Well, that wasn't a very good prophecy, was it?
Old 11-16-2016, 09:41 AM   #808
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Hail Legate, who shall be... I don't know what's the next reputation level, and couldn't find it anywhere. Well, that wasn't a very good prophecy, was it?
We'll just have to give him more rep until we find out...

Last edited by Kuruharan; 11-16-2016 at 09:41 AM. Reason: I found a new and exciting way that the code can be broken.
Kuruharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 06:01 PM   #809
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Thank ye, dear fellow wights. Much appreciated.

As for reps, I believe there is something about being lost at Emyn Muil, but maybe that comes only later or I am just making it up.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 06:45 PM   #810
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
As for reps, I believe there is something about being lost at Emyn Muil, but maybe that comes only later or I am just making it up.
I guess no one has gotten lost yet.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:06 AM   #811
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Dear me, I have become so treeish here that I completely missed my 15th death day last month! I may neglect this site, life being what it is, but I will never forget it and the role it has played in my life. Why, right now I am writing a chapter for an upcoming book on Middle-earth and music!

Without the Downs, I would never have made so many friends in real life, both Downers and other fans with whom I came into contact because it all started here. I would not be a published author (non-fiction) and I would certainly not have learned so much about the internet and how to use at least some of it! My book shelves would be emptier and so would have been many delightful hours I spent discovering new aspects of Tolkien and his works. And I would not have travelled to some of the wonderful places I have seen, either visiting friends or seeing Middle-earthian sights.

So here's to the Downs, which will be 17 years old soon - almost of age in modern human terms. May it live - oops! - moulder in peace for many years to come!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:24 AM   #812
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Happy D-Day, Esty! You really should come around more often (said the pot to the kettle).
Old 07-01-2017, 08:15 AM   #813
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Ten years here.

How appropriate they refer to it as a "death day", because obviously I don't have a life.

And it's true my death day was actually 6-4-17, but it has been said by many that I would be late for my own funeral.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:55 AM   #814
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Ten years here.

How appropriate they refer to it as a "death day", because obviously I don't have a life.
Of course not. It is the Barrow-downs, after all.

Happy D-Day, sir.
Old 07-01-2017, 09:22 PM   #815
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Happy anniversary, Morth!
Old 07-06-2017, 09:45 PM   #816
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
So, I did miss my death day by a month...but I realized today that though my activity on the Barrow Downs has been spotty, I still nevertheless have officially been a member of the forum for over 15 years now. Which means I have been "undead" for longer than I had been alive when I initially joined. Whoa.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:51 AM   #817
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post
So, I did miss my death day by a month...but I realized today that though my activity on the Barrow Downs has been spotty, I still nevertheless have officially been a member of the forum for over 15 years now. Which means I have been "undead" for longer than I had been alive when I initially joined. Whoa.
Yeah. Whoa.

And happy deathday!
Old 08-06-2017, 03:50 PM   #818
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
1420!

I awaited August 2 with excitement, because that day marked my 10th (10th!) deathday. One decade on the Downs, the anniversary to which I had looked so forward to celebrating. The day just passed by without me noticing, and next thing I knew, the 2nd had come and gone. Anyway, here's to the Downs, here's to another decade!
Old 08-06-2017, 07:34 PM   #819
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Happy D-day, TGEW!
Old 08-07-2017, 10:12 AM   #820
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Happy anniversary, TeaGEW!
Old 11-05-2017, 11:16 PM   #821
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
A Composition on Decomposition

Ten years ago today, and likely at about this time, a skinny fowl temptress convinced me to join some silly Tolkien website she'd been lurking on for a while.

"It's fun," she said.

"You'll like it," she said.

"Have you heard my one hour summary of the Silm?" she said.

That's probably when I tuned her out, but two and a half hours later, she was still talking, and I had joined my first Werewolf game. I don't regret a moment of it. (Well, maybe the phantom. )

Cheers to all of you fine people! I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, but I've killed some of you exactly as much as you deserve.

Here's to ten years of being dead, and hopefully to many more!
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:44 AM   #822
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Happy Downsniversary Sally!
Old 10-22-2018, 09:00 PM   #823
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

it just struck me today that the oldest members of the forum (and in fact the forum itself) are turning 18 this year, a sort of Downer Coming of Age. Now we have a LOTR coming of age thread for becoming "mature" readers of Tolkien, but not really a way to recognize the coming of age of Downers. And of course it's more difficult to judge that. The Downs has many members who drop off never to return again, many of them barely making a couple posts before disappearing; it's easy to have made an account 18 years ago, it takes a bit more effort to actually be present for 18 years. And like in Fangorn Forest, some once active Downers become more and more treeish, but also some former lurkers become active posters. People come in and out as the currents take them. And sometimes you think that a Downer has become sleepier than Bilbo in ROTK and you're just about ready to give up on having a conversation with them, when out of the blue they wake up and make a Red Book-worthy post or score a record on the Fun and Games subforums.

So here's to all the Downers who are coming of age in their undead lives this year!

Old 10-23-2018, 06:56 AM   #824
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

1420!

Cheers, indeed!

I don't know which is more amazing: that an internet Tolkien forum has lasted so long, or that I still check it every day after all that time.

I really miss a lot of the old members, and the ones who predate my joining have nearly all been absent a long time. It's strange to think how much has changed in my own life since. I actually remember exactly the circumstances of how I stumbled upon the Downs, and my tentative first posts.

If someone had said back then I'd still be posting well into my forties, I'd have thought it as unlikely as a tree-man walking in the Northfarthing.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:20 PM   #825
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
It really is rather remarkable.

I only remember to check the forum once or twice a month, but it still matters so much to my identity and how I perceive my self.

These days I mainly listen to lotr as audio-books, put on the Tolkien ensemble and occasionally play a bit lotro... but I miss being truly nerdy about this wonderful fantasy world.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:06 PM   #826
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Fifteen years ago I joined the Downs. I may not have been so active but this place remains precious to me and so are many of the people.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:29 PM   #827
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Fifteen years ago I joined the Downs. I may not have been so active but this place remains precious to me and so are many of the people.
Congrats! I've been a bit less active myself, due to work and various issues, but I still come here every day.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:30 PM   #828
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Happy birthday MummyMith! What would the Downs be without you? I wish you'd post more on the Downs, I get happy when I see the occasional post from you.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:46 PM   #829
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I will try to be less treeish and post more. I have been reading a lot of John Buchan and want to post about the parallels between him and Tolkien. I just suffered from being separated from my books so long.

Old 05-21-2020, 06:23 PM   #830
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
I will try to be less treeish and post more. I have been reading a lot of John Buchan and want to post about the parallels between him and Tolkien. I just suffered from being separated from my books so long.
Bit of a fail on that front. Maybe when I am no longer an unlikely keyworker. Only managing work’ basic personal maintenance and sleep just now.

Old 05-21-2020, 06:28 PM   #831
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Bit of a fail on that front. Maybe when I am no longer an unlikely keyworker. Only managing work’ basic personal maintenance and sleep just now.
Oh man! I hope things get better! But personal maintenance and sleep are important. We can wait.
Old 06-07-2020, 04:25 PM   #832
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Today is my 18th Deathday.

My Barrow Downs persona has now reached adulthood.
Old 06-07-2020, 04:29 PM   #833
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
1420!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post
Today is my 18th Deathday.

My Barrow Downs persona has now reached adulthood.
Awwwwww, happy deathday!
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:57 PM   #834
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Seconded!
Old 06-09-2020, 03:15 PM   #835
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Somewhere between the WW refreshings this post got lost in my cookies and was marked as read without me seeing it. Happy belated deathday Brin!
Old 06-09-2020, 03:36 PM   #836
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Happy deathday, Brinn! You're a properly hung & dried corpse now!
Old 02-11-2022, 11:57 PM   #837
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Raving ego-mania drives me to note that I have now slipped past (without even noting it on the actual day) twenty years as a member of this forum.

I, in a way, draw some satisfaction that my posts per day stat sits squarely at .50.

A nice tidy number.
Old 02-12-2022, 06:15 AM   #838
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Happy Deathday, Kuru!
Old 02-12-2022, 07:19 AM   #839
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Happy deathday, Kuru! May your shadow grow ever longer!

Ah yes, the average post per day stats. I wonder if they are accurate - I feel that they are skewed to the early days of prolific posting. Or, the posting was just that prolific.
Old 01-06-2023, 05:53 PM   #840
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Helped, perhaps, by Facebook memories in these latter years, the occasion of the great feast of the Epiphany never passes without me remembering my own, smaller, "epiphany," eighteen years ago today.

Not only has my Downs account come of age, since I was seventeen on the cusp of eighteen when I joined, this means I have now spent MORE of my life as a member of this forum--nay, this community--than I spent before joining it. I have rehearsed before that I probably would not live where I do, have married as I have, have the children I do, if it were not for the decision to sign up and participate here.

Though it probably isn't the sort of thing one articulates in most settings, it'd probably be ACCURATE to say that "Barrow-downer" is one of my most fundamental identities, even my truest citizenship, and perhaps it is permissible for me to say as much in this venue on this date.