The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2007, 12:36 PM   #1
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Admin Thread--WW XXXIII - Other Minds and Hands

This will be a relatively basic game, with a couple of twists...

It's the year 2020, and we, the slightly more mature ghouls of the Downs, have come together with a noble purpose; to remake The Lord of The Rings as it should have been. Tom Bombadil and the Barrowdowns will recieve a full hour of screen time; the Scouring of the Shire another. There will be no lemming hyenas or psychadelic Galadriels; Gimli will remain deadly serious at all times, and Orlando Bloom...well, he's playing an elderly man of Rohan who is simultaneously impaled, beheaded and incinerated in the battle of Helm's deep.
Needless to say, this 30 hour epic will not be cheap to film; but we're in luck; the resourceful Volo has discovered a studio which is offering a 98% discount in the wake of certain...interesting events...which occurred during the filming of "An American Werewolf in Hamburg" last year.
We, being (for the most part) not superstitious, and (for the other part) trusting in the benevolent spirit of Professor Tolkien to protect us, have booked said studio and are scheduled to commence filming on May 14th (or later, if we're still too few).

I'm open to suggestions on the deadline; whatever is best for the majority of players is good for me.

Tentative roles:
4 wolves, who may or may not have additional attributes
3 unspecified and slightly unique good gifteds
other roles possible [EDIT: probable] depending on how many sign up and how diabolical I feel....

There will be clues in the narrations regarding what roles are included and how they work (but not, of course, the identies of those who hold them!)

Please specify an occupation related to the theme; that is to say, a member of the cast or crew (the actor playing Aragorn, the director, etc.)

Rules:

Everyone must be in invisible mode for the duration of the game.

Failure to post for two days will result in a horrible death at the hands of my ghost.

Please keep all RL explanations to the admin thread.

Dead people may not discuss the game on the admin thread until it's over.

Votes can be retracted once. Vote like this (except you don't have to all vote for Rune! A majority will do. ):
++Rune
and retract a vote thusly:
--Rune

In the event of a tie, there will be a double lynch. In a three - or more - way tie, I will use a randomizer to choose one lynchee from among those who had the most votes.

Role playing is encouraged, but not required; but occupations will ... no doubt ... feature in the narrations.

NIGHT 1 will begin at 7pm BST on Sunday the 13th, and DAY one begins at 7 pm BST on Monday the 14th.

Starring:

Rikae (mod) - CG Animator
Volo - Gollum
Legate - Sound Master/Saruman
Macalaure - The 7th orc in the 3rd row
Boromir88- Sir Boromir, playing Denethor
Mithalwen- Galadriel
Shasta - Legolas' stunt double
Durelin - Special Effects Pyrotechnician
The Saucepan Man- Set Catering Manager
Xyzzy - Young Fanboy
Brinniel- Wacky Foley Artist
Thinlómien- Non-Winged Balrog
The Sixth Wizard- Protester against Dwarven Comic Relief
Anguirel- Celeborn
Kath - Make-up Artist
Gil-Galad - Zombie-Gil-Galad
Aganzir - Smeagol
Rune -Tolkien geek who is estatic about being an Elf extra
Diamond18? - Lady in charge of Wigs and all other False Hairpieces

Last edited by mormegil; 05-14-2007 at 09:37 AM.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 12:54 PM   #2
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Here, Rikae, sir! (erm... lady) Legate, proposing his service as a sound master. But if someone else wanted the post, also coming to the competitive examination for the role of Saruman. I doubt that there'll be too many of us, so we'll be probably lucky to cover the basic roles. At least the CG animator will have enough job in making the rest...
...and if anyone appeared here and showed some special interest in the role of Saruman, I'm willing to drop it in exchange for something else, just tell me...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 01:03 PM   #3
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Thumbs up

Haha! Sounds great, unidentified roles.... Woo!

I feel like I have to be the studio hijacker (or technician if I can't be a hijacker) as I for some reason am one already!
Old 05-07-2007, 01:41 PM   #4
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I'm in!

I would like to be the 7th orc in the 3rd row. But if somebody else would like to have that post, I'm willing to drop it for the 8th orc in the 3rd row.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:44 PM   #5
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Count me in for another game Rikae. And I shall be Sir Boromir the actor who will be playing the part of Faramir.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:54 PM   #6
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
Count me in for another game Rikae. And I shall be Sir Boromir the actor who will be playing the part of Faramir.
Welcome on board, Boro! Let's hope we have more chance to interact with each other than in the last game

EDIT: Ahem, Rikae, I said Saruman, not Sauron... and I thought we are doing a movie without strange metal robotic creatures and/or eye-shaped power plants... though if we have some sort of "normal" Sauron, it might as well be interesting... but still, I wanted Saruman in the first place...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 05-07-2007 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:03 PM   #7
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
This sounds fun ... I'd love to play if you'll have me ..but I am afraid by 2020 I might be a bit mature to play any of the major female roles - unless the expensive face creams really do their stuff ...I would be almost at the "Dame Mithalwen" stage so I leave the casting to you .. but please NOT Shelob ..though that was Fordim's choice long ago....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:20 PM   #8
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Thought you'd gotten rid of me, eh? :P

Shasta signing up as Legolas's stunt double.

...Do I get my own trailer?
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:22 PM   #9
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I want to be the "bestboy" even though I have NO idea what it is. I just like the name.

*looks it up*

Okay, yeah, that works. I can work with gender humour.

Edit: *coughs* Right. So. Insert "May I join?" somewhere in there....
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:23 PM   #10
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Well at least if you're the mod, I can't mistake you for a Werewolf, Rikae.

I'm in. I shall be the Set Catering Manager - a large, jolly, bearded and slightly balding fellow from New Zealand with a habit of going shoeless, and with no intention at all of sabotaging the project. No, indeed. None whatsoever. Honest.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:43 PM   #11
xyzzy
Haunting Spirit

xyzzy is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
++SPM

Um, I mean, I'll be the young fanboy who snuck in past the senile guard.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:12 PM   #12
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Agh, wait! Rikae, may I switch to being the Special Effects Pyrotechnician?

Sorry for being difficult....
Old 05-07-2007, 06:15 PM   #13
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
erm...I'm sorry for being difficult too...can I change to Sir Boromir playing as Denethor? I think I will have more fun as Denethor than Faramir.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:42 PM   #14
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Denethor, eh...

...can I set you on fire?
Old 05-07-2007, 06:44 PM   #15
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
...can I set you on fire?
As long as fire damage is covered by my insurance
Old 05-07-2007, 07:38 PM   #16
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Rikae, you have climbed right up my alley. How could a film major not join this game?!

Let's see...I could be a bit realistic and be something I've already dappled in...but no. That just might make things more boring.. Time for me to branch out! I'll be...

The Wacky Foley Artist! Hehe...that should be fun. Besides, it is a career I have fantasized about before.

Now, I can't help but wonder...who is going to play the Gaffer? Seriously.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:50 AM   #17
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Palantir-Green

Count me in, because this is most probably either going to be my first game with a recovered net access, or the last game without one. Either way, I feel like celebrating it!

I'll be the actor who plays the non-winged balrog.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:18 AM   #18
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Sixth Wizard has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to The Sixth Wizard
Yay! Another Werewolf game to keep that cursed social life of mine away! May I join?

I think I shall be the "Mouth of Sauron Head Catcher" if that is not too far-fetched.
The Sixth Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:32 AM   #19
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Can't resist...

...I think I shall play the part of...Celeborn
Old 05-08-2007, 04:38 AM   #20
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sixth Wizard
I think I shall be the "Mouth of Sauron Head Catcher" if that is not too far-fetched.
Ha, seems we have one loafer among us... because if I understood it correctly, we have no decapitation scene?!??...
Old 05-08-2007, 05:34 AM   #21
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
? I think I will have more fun as Denethor than Faramir.
Depends on who claims Eowyn's role

Though now Ang will be a truly wise Celeborn I guess it will be fights to be Galadriel *piles on the expensive unguents*

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 07:56 AM   #22
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Noo Brinniel stole my role! Very well then, I will be the make-up artist if you'll have me Rikae.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:58 AM   #23
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Having Kath and Ang return to ww and with all the other great players, this can't be a totally horrible game! (Not that I wouldn't trust Rikae... )
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:07 AM   #24
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Wow...this is taking off like wildfire.
I'd like five or six more players, at least, the more the merrier. If I get 20 players, I think we can have four wolves...

Legate is correct, Sixth - there will be no beheading. So you will be a very idle head-catcher (you can change your role, if you wish!)

I will still need time to prepare things, even if we have enough players...I trust you will be patient. I'll work as fast as I can!

Everybody that cares, go ahead and let me know what deadline-time would be best for you (in GMT, or tell me your time zone!)
Old 05-08-2007, 08:21 AM   #25
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quite honestly if the game starts after Friday (which by the look of things it will be doing) any time is good for me, as I have two completely free of any demand weeks!
Old 05-08-2007, 08:38 AM   #26
Volo

I would be relieved if the game didn't start for a week at least. The Day-Night change can be at any hour, best maybe 7 PM GMT, or 3 PM GMT...
Old 05-08-2007, 11:10 AM   #27
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
If only it was 2021...

count me in!

[EDIT: okay.. i am going to be Zombie-Gil-Galad because in this remake i come back from the dead!!!
Old 05-08-2007, 11:17 AM   #28
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil-Galad
If only it was 2021...

count me in!

[EDIT: okay.. i am going to be Zombie-Gil-Galad because in this remake i come back from the dead!!!
But...that's not in the book!
Old 05-08-2007, 11:21 AM   #29
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae
But...that's not in the book!
and the first film was?

its a remake of a movie, there has to be artistic license, Haldir didn't die in the book but he did in the movie, maybe Gil-Galad can come back to life in this movie
Old 05-08-2007, 01:17 PM   #30
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil-Galad
and the first film was?

its a remake of a movie, there has to be artistic license, Haldir didn't die in the book but he did in the movie, maybe Gil-Galad can come back to life in this movie
*points to initial post*
Old 05-09-2007, 03:39 AM   #31
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
Quite honestly if the game starts after Friday (which by the look of things it will be doing) any time is good for me, as I have two completely free of any demand weeks!
*points up* How come these people even exist? I mean, I have hardly time to clean my teeth. Of course, this does not prevent me from playing Werewolf when I should be doing something else...

Concerning the deadline, personally I'll welcome something around 8-9 PM GMT, but generally, I'm open to almost everything. What I would like to avoid at all costs is the time like it was in Volo's last game, which was totally terrible, as I could almost never catch the deadline (even if I were alive) and mostly I could only participate at the beginning of the day and then at the very end, which was just... well, horror.

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 05-09-2007 at 03:43 AM.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:43 AM   #32
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Quote:
*points up* How come these people even exist? I mean, I have hardly time to clean my teeth. Of course, this does not prevent me from playing Werewolf when I should be doing something else.
Luck. My exams finish Friday but term not for another 2 weeks. But please, don't let werewolf stop you cleaning your teeth!
Old 05-09-2007, 03:50 AM   #33
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Sixth Wizard has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to The Sixth Wizard
Ooh, so I can't be part of that simply genius scene? Then if I must choose a new role it should be ... Protester against Dwarven Comic Relief? PDCR for short!

(One of my friends who was reading over my shoulder just called me a smart aleck )
The Sixth Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:59 AM   #34
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Count me in.

Can I be the dead serious Gimli?
Old 05-09-2007, 07:37 AM   #35
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
This looks really promising.

But I'll be in Turkey for a week from May 16th to 23rd. There may be net-cafes there or there may not (We're in Antalya) and I'm also insecure about how much free time I will be having there. So I'm afraid I need to take my WW-break now.

Have fun!
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:02 AM   #36
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
This looks really promising.

But I'll be in Turkey for a week from May 16th to 23rd. There may be net-cafes there or there may not (We're in Antalya) and I'm also insecure about how much free time I will be having there. So I'm afraid I need to take my WW-break now.

Have fun!
Aw, man! Oh well, that's how it goes, I guess. *disappointed*
Old 05-09-2007, 08:05 AM   #37
Volo

I'll change to the actor of Gollum and Aganzir changes to the actor of Smeagol!

Last edited by Volo; 05-09-2007 at 08:16 AM.
Volo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:20 AM   #38
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
*off topic*

I sick.

We had our senior trip yesterday, though.

*on topic*

Do you live in Europe or North America, Rikae? *is setting a clock with Werewolf time on his computer*
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:40 AM   #39
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volo
I'll change to the actor of Gollum and Aganzir changes to the actor of Smeagol!
I suppose no one wants to be Frodo now. What a pity.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:57 AM   #40
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastanis Althreduin
*off topic*

I sick.

We had our senior trip yesterday, though.

*on topic*

Do you live in Europe or North America, Rikae? *is setting a clock with Werewolf time on his computer*
I'm on the East coast of the US, but I'll list the deadline time as GMT, to save everybody some confusion (I hope).