The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2011, 12:21 PM   #441
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Hehe.

OK, I suppose I should say something else too - first off, a lot of love to all our cobblers. You were awesome. I especially loved phabbler's Seer reveal. Secondly, a hug to Nog - your tone was so innocent I was leaning towards thinking you were the Seer but obviously wasn't going to be too loud about that! Thirdly, kudos to the mod(s) for the brilliant concept, I really enjoyed it (though I know I'd have had several grey hairs if innocent..) Fourth, nice try village. Oh, don't I love watching the loudmouths tear each other and the quiet players apart.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:56 PM   #442
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
This was fun.

I'd love to do it again sometime...even if it was a little frustrating toward the end.

Well played, everyone. Especially phabbler. :P
Old 02-07-2011, 08:43 AM   #443
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Wowee, those last few days it was rough trying to form any coherent opinions, or good judgements. (Not completely a terrible thing as I found a job opportunity I'm in absolute love with, but it did grab me away from this game towards the end. I'm writing social studies questions for national quiz tournaments and moderating many tourneys over the weekends. I gets to go to Atlanta and possibly D.C. )

Anyway, congradulations to the wolves and cobblers. By the end the only thing I knew for sure was phantom was evil, and I didn't care if he was the cobbler or not and the game was over, I just wanted to lynch him, so there'd be a game he'd finally get lynched. (I should have stuck with my immediate reactions against Glirdan)

Fabulous play on your part phantom. I just so happen to miss the most insane last days I can remember and after I leave Ang reveals as Glorfy, elrond comes forth as the hunter. Then Fea tells me...so, phantom's wink-winking nudge-nudge that he's the seer and begging you come back to back him up. I'm trying not to shout and scream, or the people I was with might have thought I was a mental case. I SAID I COULDN'T COME BACK THE REST OF THE DAY! PHANTOM SHOULD KNOW THIS! I bit my tongue because I knew if I could come back I would be able to immediately expose his lies and save the day, but alas I could not. (Speaking of this, I had a dream about it, which will be appearing in the BDer dream thread momentarily).

Things about the dead thread which amused me.

1) one of the few games I'm not dead before Night 3 happens to be the one game where the dead can participate after death. Wonderful idea Rikae.

2) Poor Nog trying each day to doggedly prove his innocence, but to no avail, with Agan and Fea telling him to go sit in the corner all the time. If I was there, I'd probably sided with Agan, so count yourself lucky Nog.

3) Fea's reasons for why I was an ordo this game...being much more interested in watching Anne Boleyn bust out of her corset. hehe

4) The dead thread waking up after all the reveals on that last day. I don't know, you think the living would take more notice that the dead thread is bursting out at the same time, and therefor would know something or have opinions on all the reveals and such. Still amusing.

Last edited by Boromir88; 02-07-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #444
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
So, just throwing this out there as food for thought...

Even if we would have lynched phantom instead, there were still three Wolves and we knew who the Hunter and Ranger were with Sallycakes as an Ordo and most of the "village" not trusting her, thus leaving us with a pretty much open kill, thus makin us victors anyways. Trust me, I had it planned out.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:46 PM   #445
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I only just got the chance to get on and see this. I was pretty sure we'd lose and all, but the wolves...

Well played, guys. Well played.

And snuggles to Nog... ups
Old 02-07-2011, 01:07 PM   #446
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel View Post
and the biggest irony? I think I shall leave the Dead thread the Unread Thread
I said something nasty to you when you fell into the phantom's trap, but otherwise we were cheering for you. Except for Nog. He cross-posted with your reveal (if you can say so when the posts are in different threads), the title of his post being "Anguirel is a wolf."

I mean, I would have liked to believe him because he behaved more innocently after his death, but when you see things like that you can't help wondering...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
How about I do a sequel in a year or so, maybe with some refinements to the setup?
Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
It could have gone differently if we could have more exploited the special roles and not had quite such a high level of drop out rate.
Exactly. Shasta and I had some things planned out, such as a way to make Lommy give herself away, but we couldn't really do anything because he died so early. I also doubt any information sending thing would have been possible if there hadn't been two known innocents in Mandos so early - and actually it might have been better that way. In the end the village didn't get much out of it while we dead did have strong opinions on the players.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #447
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
YAY for the evil team! *hugs Greenie, Nerwen, Glirdan, Legate and even phantom* You wolves were just brilliant, and phantom, hats off for the trick.

I loved the game, thanks Rikae and Mac! The concept was great, and I'm happy you gave me the chance to be a cobbler (which is a role I never had before).

Anyway, I realised cobblering really isn't my cup of tea after all. Okay, I can cause confusion, keep people talking about silly stuff, argue with people (although I never got to my planned "fight with Agan" part) and get lynched, but that's it. I was so unhappy to find out Legate had been a cobbler - I had such high hopes for the "last" cobbler because I wanted them to counter-reveal after the "real" seer reveal. I seriously kicked myself for not making a seer reveal just after dying, but luckily it was unnecessary. Also, I had very little idea who were the wolves (I was suspecting Nerwen and Greenie to be ones but I also though there'd be wolves among Sally/Lottie/maybe even Nessa).

But most of all, I felt very handicapped most of the time. When I was dead, I wasn't of much use because whatever I tried to say, Agan, Shasta and Fea started barking at me. It's no fun being a dead cobbler among raging dead innocents. Also, I realised cobbler is a role which requires being around at the DL (would've loved to cause some double-lynches!) which was impossible for me because it was 6am Finnish time. And I have to admit - I don't have the heart to be a cobbler. If there's anything more difficult for me in a ww game than following the thread blindly and rooting for the evil side, I don't what it is. I'm too much of a goodie at heart. I literally kept kicking myself for suspecting people who actually looked wolvish and bringing up points which could've been useful for the village. So, it was a wonderful experience but now I know I'm just too nice to be a cobbler (except in RL games, that's totally different!)

Also, Agan was right - cobbler really isn't a good role for someone with an ego. I don't think I have much of one, but I did feel a prickle of humiliation for being intentionally stupid/silly so much of the time.

I would be very interested in a re-round. Only, I think the dead should be somehow motivated to talk more. I think talking both Day and Night was kind of tiresome, I would've concentrated better if I hadn't had to be around all the time. Also, I think we discovered trying to deliver messages is pretty useless, haha.

It was great to play with you all, thanks everybody! I was especially to play with Mith and Ang again after such a looong time, but truly, thanks everybody. (And my especial condolences to Nogrod and Elra, I feel so bad for you!) I shall remember this game.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:24 PM   #448
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I just crashed into this post from the Dead thread...
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Nerwen would be my first choice. Her sarcasm upon arrival might also tell about her being it. And her being away most of the Day would explain why she hasn't yet said anything about it - and if she is the ranger, she would think for a moment now what to do - while trying to find out what has been happening (if she needs to pick it up now). But that remains to be seen.

One possibility is Greenie. She has played low profile, is intelligent enough to lay low and has had no chance to react to the latest developements... Although the problem is that I think Ang "revealed" before she went away. Thus making it a bit unbelievable.

Glirdan might be a better choice: he has been overtly active, protecting and helpful as well and voted "right" - and if I'm not wrong (haven't checked) has been away long enough to have missed the reveal? Now that should have to be checked actually...

Hard to say.
So am I speculating about the wolves here, hitting the nail into to the head?

Nope.

I'm speculating who could be the real ranger if Anguirel is faking... That kind of sums my game in one post...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:27 AM   #449
Mänwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Mänwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Mänwe
Congratulations wolves and thanks to the mods for such a unique game!
- (Letter #124 To Sir Stanley Unwin)
Mänwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:24 AM   #450
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
That was a really interesting game, Rikae! (even though time only allowed me to skim through it )

Not to worry, Nog - I believed you from Night2!

Phantom - that was amazing! I thought you were a wolf or a gifted.

And I didn't suspect any of the wolvsies!
Old 02-08-2011, 09:35 PM   #451
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sorry about not playing you guys. That was seriously unexpected.
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:46 AM   #452
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nog
So am I speculating about the wolves here, hitting the nail into to the head?

Nope.

I'm speculating who could be the real ranger if Anguirel is faking... That kind of sums my game in one post...
Aww, poor Nog! *snigger*
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:36 AM   #453
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Ha, brilliant! Great job, WWs and fellow Cobblers!

I really pity that I had to pull out early, but nonetheless, it was a lot of fun to play in this one.

For the record, I must say that I was only 100% sure about Lommy being the Cobbler - and I left it to the fate to decide, also had her as a bit of "backup" in case a Wolf was threatened and she could be lynched instead of him/her. I didn't know for sure about the Wolves' identity, it was more like that I was pretty sure (and correctly, now looking at it) who is NOT a Wolf, thus, I sort of kept my clear suspicions around people who I presumed could be lynched either way or another. Funnily enough, I also wasn't exactly sure about Nogrod's allegiance, I've been flip-flopping about him a lot (but really sorry Nog! That was absolute martyrdom from your part), but in any case, I thought it would be okay to sacrifice him even if he happened to be evil (more likely Cobbler) and also I thought the general mood was so that if I said that he should not be lynched, people will lynch him anyway, or maybe even more likely, and it will sort of give a better "starting position" to the baddies in the following Day anyway.

In any case, also thanks to the Mod(s), the Mandos idea was veery interesting, hope we'll see a reprise sometime.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote