The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2007, 08:47 AM   #41
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
No, each Day and each Night last 24 hours.

So, say we started at 9pm on the 10th then that Day would end at 9pm on the 11th. Night would then begin when the Day ends, so at 9pm on the 11th and it would end at 9pm on the 12th.

Does that make sense?
Old 11-07-2007, 09:38 AM   #42
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I'm all excited to play now. Any idea when we'll get started?
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:53 PM   #43
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally
I'm all excited to play now. Any idea when we'll get started?
We'll get started as soon as we have a few more players, I have all the info I need (Thnaksgiving-things and verifications from the unsures) and I have finished my plannings. Depends, but I guess this might start early next week.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:58 PM   #44
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I'd like to hear the viewpoints from other players on the issue of me playing this game.

I'm leaving to Cuba early on Saturday morning (GMT) 17.11. and will probably have the first possibility to be online on Sunday afternoon / evening American timezones (we're in Havana late Saturday evening and will leave to Santiago early in the Sunday morning local time...). Also I'm not sure how easy it is to get net access in Santiago de Cuba. I've been told there are net cafés but if they are not easy to find I may have no time to search for them extensively.

So after the few first Days (if I'm alive still, that is) my participation would be somewhat unpredictable - depending on the local circumstances I'd be playing something from a bit less than normal to one post aDay or in the worst instance not being able to post. If I'm in the game I would sure do my best to help whatever cause I'm picked to support.

What say you? Is it ok. for you that I play or should I step aside?

PS. If the starting Day gets postponed for a reason or another I might be unpredictably online in the first Days but with full steam after Nov. 25th.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:19 AM   #45
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
I'm sure you would manage to participate in the game well enough, Nogrod. But of course, it's up to you!
Old 11-08-2007, 08:03 PM   #46
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Hi. Is it too late to sign up?
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:58 AM   #47
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen
Hi. Is it too late to sign up?
No, it isn't. Welcome!

edit: 3000th post! Wow!
Old 11-09-2007, 01:40 AM   #48
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Yay!

When do we start?
Old 11-09-2007, 02:13 AM   #49
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Yay!

When do we start?
Probably early next week. I'd like to hear confirmations from the questionmark-players and get replies from three people I've invited, but I guess we're able to start soon.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:34 AM   #50
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
so just a basic game...cool!

4,781st post yay!
Old 11-09-2007, 10:39 AM   #51
Volo

I'll try to participate a bit less this time because of many RL chores.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:22 PM   #52
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
You can take off my question-mark, but I think I better say right off the bat that I may not be very vocal in this game. I'm in the middle of quite a bit of schoolwork and legal gobbldigook, and also in the process of applying to grad school; but I'll do my best to post at least twice each day.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:38 PM   #53
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
You can remove my question mark, too, but I'll have to echo the others that I'll be less vocal in this game than normal. It looks like I already have a lot of schoolwork in store even though the term has just begun.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 05:21 AM   #54
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volo View Post
I'll try to participate a bit less this time because of many RL chores.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
You can take off my question-mark, but I think I better say right off the bat that I may not be very vocal in this game. I'm in the middle of quite a bit of schoolwork and legal gobbldigook, and also in the process of applying to grad school; but I'll do my best to post at least twice each day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen View Post
You can remove my question mark, too, but I'll have to echo the others that I'll be less vocal in this game than normal. It looks like I already have a lot of schoolwork in store even though the term has just begun.
Yes, of course, we trust you all that you won't be as vocal, resisting the temptation to sit by the computer, absolutely hooked in the game...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 05:26 AM   #55
Volo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Yes, of course, we trust you all that you won't be as vocal, resisting the temptation to sit by the computer, absolutely hooked in the game...
Hey! Watch out or I'll not participate in the game at all.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:07 AM   #56
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Well, if you'll offer to do my Physics and Genetics problem sets for me...
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:04 AM   #57
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I really shouldn't paly this as I have so much going on but shall I try some blackmail and say I'll play if the King of all the Nogs plays aswell ?

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 02:57 PM   #58
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mith
I really shouldn't paly this as I have so much going on but shall I try some blackmail and say I'll play if the King of all the Nogs plays aswell ?
Done. He said he'll play. We have now 15 players which is enough to start.

Night 1 begins at 7pm GMT tomorrow.

Anyone who still wishes to join may post in this thread and sign up. The sign up will be closed at 11am GMT tomorrow or something like that.

The roles will be given out before Night1 starts (surprise surprise! ), but I can't specify when exactly. It might be as late as less than hour before the start of the night.

I will try to get the actual game thread up quite soon. I promise it will be created before that 11am GMT.

Aganzir will be the mod-in-case-of-emergency. She will be there if I'm somehow unable to come to stop the day or something like that. She has also helped me with planning and we will co-write some narrations. You can trust her word about things in this game (unless I have said something that disagrees with what she has said).
Old 11-10-2007, 03:01 PM   #59
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

And you can still comment on possible Thanksgiving-holidays and if you want retractable votes (like 1 retraction/day or /game or something like that) you can post here and reason why you think so.

EDIT: One more thing. You don't need to have any in-game roles. You're all Elf miners (or at least pretending to be ones).
Old 11-11-2007, 05:28 AM   #60
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Sting

The roles will most probably be given out less than hour before the start of the first Night.

Soon a spectacle begins...
Old 11-11-2007, 07:58 AM   #61
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
What's up with invisible mode?
Does that mean you can't see who PMs to others?
Old 11-11-2007, 08:14 AM   #62
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Yup, you can't see who is PMing who and you also can't see when people are online. That way you can't use the fact that someone was online more during a Night phase than a Day phase against them.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:53 AM   #63
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Well, just a bit more then an hour left.
Hmmm...maybe I should change my forum time to GMT
Old 11-11-2007, 12:21 PM   #64
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
Hmmm...maybe I should change my forum time to GMT
You don't need to - just remember the deadline is 8pm your time , (unless I'm greatly mistaken).

The roles are coming as soon as I've written the role descriptions.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:54 PM   #65
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

My apologies

The start of the first Night will be about 15 minutes late because I have to send all the roles before that. Sorry. Thus Night1 will last 23 hours 45 mins.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:59 PM   #66
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Pipe An interesting find

I decided to find out how this game began, so I found the original Werewolf post made by the BW. It said that it is played elsewhere as well, so logically I googled it. And found THIS.

The page has some quite interestinf information about the origins and development of the game.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:07 PM   #67
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Ok, I should have sent all the roles now. If you have not received a role (which is possible because I seem to be a very unorganized person), just PM me and I'll PM you your role. You may also PM me if you have some questions about your role.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:09 PM   #68
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Palantir-Green Three things just to clear things up

1) All unknown persons in the texts are referred to as he. So don't make any conclusions of it.
2) Like I said, anything in the narrations doesn't point at any player's role. We wrote this discussion by first writing the comments and tones of voices and then just added (by rolling a dice) random names to the blank spaces. So don't write a serious case based on something someone said in a narration.
3) I seem to be taking after my RL self and being always late... Sorry.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:14 AM   #69
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally
p.s. what are the odds I could be listed in the village numbers as sally? just because my full username is so long. i may change it, but i'm not really sure if i can yet or not. i'm going to go investigate that
I thought I would use the long official names of everybody in the tallies and in the first narration in order to avoid confusion. But if you wish (or if you insist), I can add you as Sally in the next list of who are alive and who are dead. In any case I'm going to use the name Sally in the narrations to come - too much work typing satansaloser2005 all the time...
Old 11-13-2007, 11:04 AM   #70
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Sorry if i don't make the voting deadline some time as i find myself rather busy lately and farther and farther away from the computer too...
Old 11-13-2007, 02:09 PM   #71
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Sorry for making you wait for so long. Next time I'll tell you the identity of the lynchee before writing the narration. Less painsome for you, less hasty for me.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:44 PM   #72
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Oh yeah I forgot I could post in this thread.

"Maybe sally... I don't know, maybe it's his style, the second paragraph of his post does not fit the whole frame of his post, or so it seems to me... ."

I'm a woman by the way, just for those of you who might wonder.

Last edited by satansaloser2005; 11-13-2007 at 04:32 PM. Reason: truncation, if that's even a word
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:49 PM   #73
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Well, I'm not sure if one can analyse stuff in the game during the Night?!
Old 11-13-2007, 04:03 PM   #74
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
Well, I'm not sure if one can analyse stuff in the game during the Night?!
Right so. Let's keep our mouths and return to the game when Day2 starts... those of us alive that is.

So no comments on this thread about the game. Only on the actual gamethread when it's Daytime.

This thread is for actual notifications about possible absences etc. that do not straightly deal with the arguments or whatever said in the game.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:07 AM   #75
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Please note

My father has gone on the blink again. I have skim read and hope to post and vote later but if you all prefer I will withdraw.

Regards

Mith

Old 11-15-2007, 09:42 AM   #76
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
My father has gone on the blink again. I have skim read and hope to post and vote later but if you all prefer I will withdraw.

Regards

Mith
Mith,

I think it's all up to you. You know I'd really love to see you play, but you're the one who knows if you have the resources (time, motivation, energy etc) to do so. So you should make your own decision and I don't think anyone prefers you withdrawing if you are still able to play to an extent and if you yourself wish to do so.

I wish the best to your father and you.

-Lommy
Old 11-15-2007, 10:28 AM   #77
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Sad to hear that Mith.

Have courage!
Old 11-15-2007, 10:39 AM   #78
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

If you feel that you can play Mith then please do, but if you feel it will cause you too much stress we won't make you feel guilty. You do what's best for you.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:39 PM   #79
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Hey, I'm sorry to hear about your father, Mithalwen.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:45 PM   #80
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Thanks..I hope he will be ok .. but at his age stuff is bound to happen from time to time.. I am hoping it is a blip and given the level of absenteeism I shall try to participate as much as I can. However I am sorry for what I regard as an unacceptable level of involvement.