The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2002, 07:35 PM   #1
Naurlothwen
Animated Skeleton

Naurlothwen has just left Hobbiton.
Question legolas is... what age?

After reading the tolkien books I've been thinking how old is Legolas? There never has been any reference to what age he was. (at least none that I was aware of.
so what age is he????? [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2002, 08:53 PM   #2
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

From some sources, they say that he was born during the 3rd Age. So that would make him no older than 3018.

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 12:22 AM   #3
Thengise Greenleaf of Mirkwood
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thengise Greenleaf of Mirkwood has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Thengise Greenleaf of Mirkwood
Eye

Legolas is 2,931 years old. Or at least that's what Orlando Bloom said in the movie guide.
Old 09-14-2002, 01:19 AM   #4
Amarie
Animated Skeleton

Amarie has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

His age is not known. They probably just deduced an approximate age , and estimated to come up with a number.They probably just figured they needed it for this movie guide because reaaders would want to know his age. Or maybe they'll even use it in the movies, not that I see any use in it. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ September 14, 2002: Message edited by: Amarie ]
Amarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 01:35 AM   #5
Galorme
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galorme has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I may well be shot down from you hard core people who know something more about this, but i have always like to think that Legolas is the same Elf of the House of the Leaf that lead the Survivors of Gondolin. The reason I think of this is that yourfriendandmine Tolkein wrote so much about Glorfindel, about how is he the same person as the one in the LoTRs. During this time he must have re-read the Fall of Gondolin, and how could he not have noticed Legolas there. Yet he never mentioned any problems (i dont think). I think he thought "Glorfinel died, but Legolas lived, hmmm well there is no incostistancy with Legolas". Also
Quote:
he was nightsighted and Far-sighted
and even the name, House of the Leaf sounds very, very like Mr Greenleaf. There is no incosistancy, and this would make Legolas at least 6337 years (the total time between the end of the First and Third ages, am i right? No wait, arg, add to that the time between the Akallabéth and the Last Alliance, which cant be more than a hundred years, if that) Also his father is a survivor of Doriath was he not, so it would be a little odd to wait an entire age for a child?
So my Theory is that Legolas came to Gondolin seeking sheltor after the fall of Doriath. There is the slight problem that would Legolas like to be in a big city in the mountains away from the trees? Then the times were hard and beggars cant be choosers, plus i think he would have loved the company of the Noldor.

Also question: Did Legolas start off with a predudice towards Dwarves? Cause he isn't very nice to Gimili until they become friends, and the predudice could well have come from Meaglin, being a very dwarf-like elf because of his upbringing(DWARROW-ELVES!). I am not saying this is necicarily exactly what Tolkein intended when he wrote the book, but he didn't intend Glorfindel's history either and that is still valid and v. v. cool.

Anyway do i get flamed now? Or could i be right?
Old 09-14-2002, 05:13 AM   #6
Dimaldaeon
Wight

Dimaldaeon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Dimaldaeon Send a message via AIM to Dimaldaeon
Sting

I thought that the Greenleaf family's mistrust of Dwarves came from the Sack of Menegroth.

You're not drunk if you can still hold onto a blade of grass to stop yourself from falling off the face of the Earth
Dimaldaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 06:18 AM   #7
Galorme
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

LOL i cant believe i missed that i admit i failed miserably to see that, especially when i had just talked about how Legolas fleed from the fall [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2002, 09:10 AM   #8
LadyElbereth
Wight

LadyElbereth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

lol, i was just about to post this topic but i guess Naurlothwen beat me to it.
Anyway, i always thought Legolas was one of the younger elves, but what Galorme is saying kinda makes sense. while we're on the topic of age, how old is Arwen? if my calculations are correct she should be around 2,777 yearsold when the Fellowship was created, but i might be wrong, could anyone confirm this for me?
Old 09-14-2002, 11:11 AM   #9
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
There is no incosistancy
Yeah there is. Legolas was Thranduil's son. Thranduil was Sindarin, Gondolin was filled with a bunch of Noldor. Legolas of Gondolin is not Legolas of Mirkwood. It's like the Jimmy that sits next to you in English isn't the same as the Jimmy that sits next to you in Physics. Though I do realize that Elves didn't use the same name twice. Tolkien messed up about that.
Old 09-14-2002, 12:10 PM   #10
Tar Elenion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar Elenion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Legolas of Gondolin was a Gnome (Noldo), Legolas of Mirkwood was Sindarin.
Elves do reuse names (Rumil of Aman, Rumil of Lorien for example, there are others as well).
Old 09-14-2002, 01:05 PM   #11
Dwarin Thunderhammer
Khazad-Doomed

Dwarin Thunderhammer has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Galorme, that's a very interesting theory. But it is most likely not true. The fact is we do not know. Tolkien never told us it's that simple.

The prejudice between dwarves and elves came from the war on beleriand. The Elf King Thingol asked the Dwarves to put the Silmaril in a necklace. When he refused to pay them the dwarves sacked menegroth. The elves resented the sack. The dwarves resented the fact that they were never rewarded for their work.

[ September 14, 2002: Message edited by: Dwarin Thunderhammer ]
Dwarin Thunderhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 02:29 PM   #12
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Legolas said he felt almost young in Fangorn and describes the rest of the fellowship (minus Gandalf) ans children. (Pippin must have seemed infantile). He's probably realllly old. His father lived with Thingol and Melian after all.
Old 09-14-2002, 03:39 PM   #13
Galorme
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Just checking- but was it not said somewhere that the hidden city's numbers swelled from the fugative elves? Could Legolas be amoungst these. This has long ago left whether or not tolkein intended it, but is it possible? I supose it leaves quite a mistery, how did Legolas end up in Gondolin? What was he doing there? Hmm fanfic anyone?
Old 09-14-2002, 03:57 PM   #14
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dûm

GreatWarg has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Where did it say Thranduil dwelt with Thingol and Melian? I do not remember reading that. In fact, I believed Thranduil was still young when Oropher (his father) was in the Last Alliance. (Or am I wrong about that?) I also believed that Elrond was older than Legolas. Elrond was born in the First Age, before the third and last Kinslaying and the defeat of Morgoth. I mean, please, Elrond and Elros were taken captive by the Sons of Feanor! It does say somewhere the exact year of Elrond's birth in the Silmarillion.

Legolas Greenleaf of Mirkwood was a different Legolas from the one in Gondolin. Elves often re-use names, and Numenorean names also were Elvish. Such as Denethor the Elf-lord who was killed by Morgoth's forces in the First Age, and the Denethor the Steward of Gondor. There is also a Haldir whom was a Lord of Men in the First Age. I do not think Tolkien made a mistake in re-using these names, but he might have been pointing out that Men and Elves once held themselves akin when Man wandered into Beleriand.
Old 09-14-2002, 04:08 PM   #15
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and side with Michael Martinez on this one. For an interesting take on Legolas, read "Speaking of Legolas...". Martinez make the argument that Gimli's buddy was a relative young'n in Elvish terms.

I like to think, too, that Legolas was born around the time that Sauron reappeared in Dol Guldur as the Necromancer and the Watchful Peace ended. That would make Legolas about 550-some years old at the time of the War of the Rings. In other words: he's just a baby!
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 10:29 PM   #16
Eol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Birdland's estimate is very close. I read somewhere that you can infer Lego's age by his behavior. His curiousity and recklessness is characteristic of a very young elf then a mature one. I figure is between the age of Three hundred- to five hundred, no older.

Thranduril was his father, hence the age cannot be reversed, it would not make sense.
Old 09-14-2002, 11:00 PM   #17
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Yes, but he cannot be that young. In the appendexes of the Return of the King i read that an elf looks a year older after 144 years even thought they are immortal. So if Legolas was arond 3-5hundred years old he should only appear to be 3-4 years old. The movie guide said he was 2,931 which i find more believable because if you divided that by 144 he should appear to be around 20, which he does.
Old 09-14-2002, 11:05 PM   #18
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

Sting

Quote:
In the appendexes of the Return of the King i read that an elf looks a year older after 144 years
No you didn't. Look again. Then if you are still confused, do a seach here for "elven years".
Old 09-14-2002, 11:58 PM   #19
Childlike Empress
Wight

Childlike Empress has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Because that is the nature of screamingfangirls. Simple as it sounds [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Childlike Empress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 12:06 AM   #20
Dwarin Thunderhammer
Khazad-Doomed

Dwarin Thunderhammer has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

15 year old girls don't scream for him they scream for orlando bloom. He's just an actor. Other than fanfic and certain RPG's you don't see girls running after Legolas do you?
Dwarin Thunderhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 12:37 AM   #21
elengil
Haunting Spirit

elengil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hey, if *I* lived in Middle-Earth I'd take Legolas over Orlando Bloom... unfortunately I just live on normal earth.. so i'm stuck with plain ol mortals with short hair and rounded ears.
Old 09-15-2002, 12:42 AM   #22
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

I'm with you elengil!!!!
Old 09-15-2002, 07:04 AM   #23
Losthuniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Losthuniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Also, If Legolas was old, he would be wise. He doesn't act very wise, now does he?
Losthuniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 10:22 AM   #24
Eol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thank you Lost! There is a certain maturity that comes with age, and Legolas does nothave it.

However in the movie, they made legolas into something he was not. In the book he was kinda prissy, great shooter, did not talk much.

Movie wise, well they made him into the strong, silent type.....tweeking characters is not cool.
Old 09-15-2002, 11:10 AM   #25
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

Sting

Being somber is not the same as being wise. It is perfectly acceptable to be wise and silly at the same time, note Gandalf's smoke rings. On another note, Legolas isn't "prissy" in any way. He shot an arrow straight up into the air really high and killed something, that takes large amounts of Man Power® to pull off. Legolas is a stud.
Old 09-15-2002, 05:00 PM   #26
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Amen to that, burra!

As they all said: the age was not known, they made it up for the movie, blah, blah, blah...

But: I'm willing to live with the made-up age that they had in the movie (do they ever make reference to his age in any stage of TTT or RotK, the movies?): it's good enough for me...
Old 09-15-2002, 05:00 PM   #27
elengil
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Um.. yeah.. what exactly is it that Legolas does that you all deem to be unwise???

He's wise beyond the grasp of mortal man. His sorrow may be greater but so is his joy. He understands the severity of the journey they are on, but to him it is also one more long battle against Sauron to be faught, and there were still elves alive who remembered the last battle faught with him. He is probably one of the few of the fellowship who truly *does* understand what the deepest meaning of their journey are. The hobbits certainly dont grasp the severity, not even Frodo though he is MUCH closer to it than the others. And Boromir didnt truly understand the power of the Ring. Aragorn and Gandalf are probably the only ones along with Legolas who truly understand what their journey means.
Old 09-16-2002, 12:21 AM   #28
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

Sting

Quote:
He's wise beyond the grasp of mortal man.
I'm going to have to disagree there, too. He was certainly much more wise than your average man, but he wasn't particularly wise as Elves go. Legolas is Joe Average of the Elf world, I would wager. But Elves have many superlative qualites that Men might desire (and Men have others that Elves might desire).

But anyway, Legolas was wiser than Boromir, but I don't know if he was wiser than Aragorn. If Legolas was wiser, Aragorn was close.

And to stay on topic, Legolas's age is indeterminate.
Old 09-16-2002, 10:26 AM   #29
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

Does anyone happen to know when Thranduil married? If he hadn't married until sometime in the 2nd Age, Legolas could still be in the region of 3000 years old, if he had older brothers and sisters etc.

For me, I personally see Legolas as being somewhere between 2000 --> 4000. Any older or younger and it just seems weird.
Old 09-17-2002, 12:16 PM   #30
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Burrahobbit is right, elves are not known to reuse names, but I also like Galorme's theory. Bear with me now.
Remember, when Turgon and his people began the pilgrimage from Neverast to Gondolin, it was said that he had a greater following of Sindar than his own people. If Thranduil was indeed around at that time in Doriath or around there anyway, it is entirely possible that he was one of the Sindar that went with Turgon to Gondolin at the beginning, and Legolas was born there. Or, perhaps Legolas was already born and he himself went to Gondolin.
This would explain his quick recognition of the balrog, and also his less than amiable nature towards dwarves, since they attacked his people in Menegroth, where perhaps his father lived.
I'm sure Legolas had heard from Thranduil hundreds of times throughout the years "Did I ever tell you about when those filthy dwarves sacked our home?"
"Yes, dad, you told me that just last millenia."
Anyway, I never imagined Legolas being that old, but I don't think we can rule out the possibility, not yet anyway.
Plus, in the books, I don't think it ever said how old Legolas looked, or appeared to be. Maybe Tolkien imagined him being older, and would've been very disappointed with the choice of Orlando Bloom, because he was too young.
In Fangorn, Legolas said he almost felt young. Well, if he was indeed born in the third age, you'd think he would've definitely felt young! If he was born in the third age, he'd feel young every time he was around other elves! It wouldn't be such a novel experience for him to feel young!
Anyway, that's my two cents.
Old 09-17-2002, 06:42 PM   #31
Tar Elenion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

-------
Phantom wrote:
QUOTE:
Burrahobbit is right, elves are not known to reuse names,
-----------

Wrong. Elves are known to reuse names. Rumil was the name of an Elf in Aman, and the name of an Elf in Lorien. JRRT said Telperimpaur "was a frequent name among the Teleri". There are other examples.

---------
QUOTE:
Remember, when Turgon and his people began the pilgrimage from Neverast to Gondolin, it was said that he had a greater following of Sindar than his own people. If Thranduil was indeed around at that time in Doriath or around there anyway, it is entirely possible that he was one of the Sindar that went with Turgon to Gondolin at the beginning, and Legolas was born there.
-------------

No it is not. The Sindar of Nevrast were not the Sindar of Doriath. Turgon only took the Sindar of Nevrast with him.
As written Legolas of Gondolin is a Noldo (Gnome/Noldoli). Legolas of LotR is not a Noldo.

-----------
QUOTE:
In Fangorn, Legolas said he almost felt young. Well, if he was indeed born in the third age, you'd think he would've definitely felt young! If he was born in the third age, he'd feel young every time he was around other elves! It wouldn't be such a novel experience for him to feel young!
Anyway, that's my two cents.
--------------

Legolas is not familiar with Eregion or the area around Lorien which his father and grandfather had both travelled through and dwelt in. If Legolas were so old then he would have been there with his father and grandfather. Also telling is that he had not met Celeborn and Galadriel.
Old 09-17-2002, 09:08 PM   #32
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hey folks, Tar Elenion is right [ as usual] There is absolutely no way that the 2 legolai are one.

and all speculations to his age are based on more or less accurate and/or plausible inferences. again, T-E's points are relevant.

The movie guides arbitrary age is just that, it has no greater canonical authority than any one else's.

As a personal opine, Legolas acts like I would expect a man prince in his early 20's. Elf wise I would be inclined to place him at less than 1,000 yrs.

but that is pure and useless speculation on my part.
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 09:33 PM   #33
Tar Elenion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

My own opinion on his age is that he was born after Thranduil established his fortess and halls which happened a time after the Shadow came upon Mirkwood (ca 1050). I would imagine Thraduils 'retreat' north to take place of a couple hundred years and Legolas to be born 1500-1600 TA. But that is purely speculative.
Old 09-17-2002, 11:16 PM   #34
elengil
Haunting Spirit

Sting

I have heard the theory that the reason Legolas' name is Sindari and not Quenyan is because he was born after Thranduil established his kingdom in Mirkwood (as mentioned above) and so he was given a name in the language of the Sindar elves there, rather than the high tongue.
Old 09-18-2002, 12:52 AM   #35
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Speculation is fun!

As for Legolas' numerous vague references to how old he is compared to the others in the Fellowship: me "thinks he doth protest too much". It's like a kid bragging to his younger followers about how much more he has seen and done.

You never hear Elrond or Galadriel making such blatant references to their age. They don't need to. Everyone knows they's OLD!

[ September 18, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 01:43 AM   #36
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Sting

Birdland, very true point. When I am in a society of teenagers, I may boast how old I am just to impress them or underline the difference or whatnot. But in fact one of the reasons is I'm not much older myself.

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 07:22 AM   #37
LadyElbereth
Wight

LadyElbereth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

To quote Legolas in Fangorn,"..I feel young again, as I have not felt since I journeyed with you children..."
ok, I think Legolas is actually pretty young, and like Birdland said, he was just kind of bragging. But I can't blame Legolas for saying that, I mean if I were a couple hundred years older than everyone else in the Fellowship (no matter how young I look and feel) I'd be happy to find something that was older than myself and tell everyone about it!
~LadyElbereth

[ September 20, 2002: Message edited by: LadyElbereth ]
Old 09-19-2002, 03:13 PM   #38
Galorme
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Just saying it never does say Legolas of Gondolin is an Gnome, and I would like it if someone would at least concede that there is not much in the way or evidence to disprove that the Legolai (i love that word now) are one. As far as i can tell most of it is circumstantial, that he acts young, hasn't seen Lorien, pretends to be old etc.

Anyway here is something cool if they are not the same or if they are the same. In the book of lost tales it is said that he (whoever he is) went to live on the lonely isle, and that Rumil wrote more about him, which means he probably talked with him. Remember that Legolas sung about the Lonely Isle. So they may well have met there, and compared stories and tales and stuff.

Anyway i believe that Legolas is the same person. They may be in totally different stories, in different ages, in different places, and maybe on different timelines, but they are the same person. What little I have heard about the elf of Gondolin (his far sightedness, his love of Eressëa, even his full name is the same) matches the much greater knowledge I have of Legolas of Mirkwood. In JRRT’s mind they were the same, and the gnome/gnome wannabe just happened to be created at the wrong time of JRRT’s life, but he later came into being in a staring part he can play to perfection. I think that this fact along is enough to ignoor the inconstancies of the text to unite this lost fragment of Legolas to his later form.

As for seeming young, I have already argued in these forums before that when elves get older, they stop worrying and being sombre, and start to laugh, and sign, and see wondering in everything. I believe that Aman would be very much Faërieland, full of childlike elves who have long ago given up the worries of the world. Legolas, after 6000 odd years, had started this process.

I admit this is probably just me just clinging onto something I find really cool and don’t really want to give up.
Old 09-19-2002, 06:01 PM   #39
Tar Elenion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

--------------
Galorme wrote:
Just saying it never does say Legolas of Gondolin is an Gnome, and I would like it if someone would at least concede that there is not much in the way or evidence to disprove that the Legolai (i love that word now) are one.
--------------

"It" does say that. Legolas of Gondolin is from the 'Fall of Gondolin' in BoLT 2. There were no Sindar in Gondolin when that story was written. In fact there were no Sindar whatsoever when that story was written. The Sindar had yet to be invented. When that story was written only Gnomes (Noldoli) dwelt in Gondolin: "Know then that the Gondothlim were the kin of the Noldoli who alone escaped Melko's power when at the Battle of Unnumbered Tears he slew and enslaved their folk...".
What there is nothing of is any evidence whatsoever circumstantial or otherwise to prove that the two Legolas' are the same.
Old 09-20-2002, 03:07 AM   #40
novbarwen greenleaf
Pile O'Bones

novbarwen greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Has anyone heard of this wrathful comment of Legolas?

'He was tall as a young tree, lithe, immensely strong, able swiftly to draw a great war-bow and shoot down a Nazgul, endowed with the tremendous vitality of Elvish bodies, so hard and resistant to hurt that he went only in light shoes over rock or through snow, the most tireless of all the Fellowship.'