The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2018, 04:31 PM   #1
Thingyman
Newly Deceased

Thingyman has just left Hobbiton.
Invitation to Werewolf Championship Featuring 170 Communities

Hi everyone

Galadriel55 was sweet enough to help me and told me that this would be the appropriate place to post this.

INVITATION TO THE WEREWOLF CHAMPIONSHIP (SEASON 5)

It is with great pleasure that I hereby invite your community to take part in Season 5 of the Werewolf (aka Mafia which I will call it below; it's the same game, just two different names for it). Championship.

The Mafia Championship is an annual forum tournament series that pits representatives from various online Mafia (aka Werewolf) communities against one another as they compete to determine the Internet’s greatest forum Mafia player. Each participating community democratically elects one person to represent them and be their “Champion”.

The whole thing started back in 2013, and since then more than 225 different communities and 50+ different nationalities have been represented.

I hope it sounds like a fun and exciting event

1. DO YOU ACCEPT THE INVITE?

If you agree to participate, you just need to pick a representative or have someone volunteer before May 3.

I'm sorry about this incredibly short deadline -- I have actually been trying for weeks to get approved to post on this site and then when I finally did a week ago, the site was down and then after that I went on vacation :/. If you need a couple more days, that will probably be fine too.

The games will take place on Mafia Universe. If it’s okay, I can link directly to the general discussion thread regarding this topic on Mafia Universe.

Important notes
  • You may decide yourselves how you want to elect your representative, but we highly recommend some sort of democratic process (public nominations followed by a poll usually works out well).
  • In addition to electing a representative, you should also name an alternate who will be asked to step in if the first choice needs to back out.
  • Your representative should be prepared for having to read upwards of 500 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game. Additionally, there’s a requirement that each player must make at least 10 posts per Game Day. Only active players should apply/participate. I repeat: Your chosen player needs to be able to promise a good amount of activity on a daily basis.

2. SEASON 5 FORMAT

The tournament structure
  • 170 communities will participate, each sending one representative.
  • 10 Qualifying Games will be played, consisting of 17 players each. I.e. every representative plays in one Qualifying Game. The players themselves vote post-game to determine who is deserving of advancement. 1st place will advance directly to the Finale Game (i.e. 10 of the 17 finalists are found this way), while the 2nd places will advance directly to one of the two Wildcard Games.
  • A Jury consisting of finalists from Season 4 will discuss and vote to determine 25 players in total deserving of a second chance: 1 will advance directly to the finale, and the 24 other players will play in 2 Wildcard Games along with the 2nd places that advanced directly to these. From each game, three players will directly advance to the Finale Game based on a post-game player vote.
  • The Finale Game is played. Once it has completed, the players vote to determine who shall receive the title of Season 5 Champion and a winner’s certificate signed by Dmitry Davidoff, the creator of mafia.
The setup explained very briefly (more details on host site)
This (view picture below) is a semi-open grid setup meant for 17 players: 4 mafia versus 13 townies. First you randomly select a number to decide the mafia team's composition of Power Roles (1-2), then you randomly select a letter to decide the town's composition of Power Roles (A-E). Fill in the number of Vanilla Townies needed to make the town team have 13 members total, and you have your setup.

*Town Jack of All Trades: 1x Vigilante, 1x Roleblocker, 1x Tracker.

Many of these role names might not make sense to you. Again, if it would be okay, I can post a link that explains them all.

Relevant mechanics info
  • Day start.
  • Deadline Lynch w/ Option for Majority starting Day 2. I.e. when day timer runs out, person with most votes will be lynched. However, day can also be ended early (starting Day 2) if there is ever a majority of votes on one person.
  • If there is a tied lynch, one of the tied players will be randomly lynched.
  • No outside communication. I.e. you may not contact the other players outside of the thread (unless you are Mafia and wish to speak with your teammates).
  • Phase Lengths and Deadlines will be up to the players themselves (I’ll organize them into games with deadlines that suit their preferences).
  • Thread is locked during Night Phases.

3. SEASON 5 TIMELINE

There will be 10 Qualifying Games, and your representative plays in just one of these. They will have start dates during the months of May and June. So in other words, as long as your representative can play sometime during that period, they should be good and I’ll make sure they get scheduled into a game that suits their schedule well. I.e. if your rep is busy until June, that isn’t a problem.

Wildcard games will be played in July, and the Finale Game sometime in August/September (whenever we can work out something that suits everyone).

If you want to get in contact with me ASAP, you can find me on Discord (Thingyman#6075).

Kind regards,
Thingyman
Thingyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 03:10 PM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I couldn't do this, myself (nor am I by any means a WW 'champion' ), but do we have any volunteers?
Old 04-30-2018, 04:02 PM   #3
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Tolkien

This looks pretty amazing. I am not also much into volunteering myself, but I absolutely think we should send someone. We have so many veritable legends here.... (For that matter, Zil, I believe you do fully qualify as a WW Champion. I daresay many here do! No modesty needed in this case.)
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 04-30-2018 at 04:06 PM.
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 04:31 PM   #4
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
(For that matter, Zil, I believe you do fully qualify as a WW Champion. I daresay many here do! No modesty needed in this case.)
Aww. Thanks, friend.

Ideally, though, our champ would be somebody who doesn't attract Day One votes the way an all-you-can-eat buffet draws Hobbits.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:50 PM   #5
Thingyman
Newly Deceased

The Championship might sometimes sound more elitist than is intended. Really, the purpose is for communities to bond and for new friendships to be made. Of course, some players are more competitive than others, but many people walk away feeling like they'd be up for a reunion game (and many actually make this happen).

So along those lines, you definitely shouldn't worry too much about whether or not you're a "champion". A good representative is just someone who represents the community and its ways or interests in one way or another
Old 04-30-2018, 05:55 PM   #6
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
++Inzil for representative

Who knows, maybe it's just Downs luck to attract D1 votes? Like a subconscious habit among veteran players?
Old 05-01-2018, 06:37 AM   #7
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Thanks for the vote (of confidence?).

It does sound like a lot of fun, but I just don't think I have the time. My current work assignment doesn't allow me to play on the clock like in the old days.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:21 AM   #8
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Do I really have to say it?

++phantom for representative
Old 05-01-2018, 09:07 AM   #9
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Curses, Pitch! You beat me to it.

I know Phantom has been really busy, but this is definitely something he should see. I'll give him a poke.

Also, Mr. Agreeable, why not volunteer yourself?
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 01:39 PM   #10
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Do I really have to say it?

++phantom for representative
There is a reason why I didn't want to say it.

But yes, I agree he should be informed - if nobody else comes forward.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:36 AM   #11
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Had we but world enough and time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
Also, Mr. Agreeable, why not volunteer yourself?
Did you read the part about 'having to read upwards of 500 posts per 24 hours'? That's a whole game of BD Werewolf. I'm just a little wolf, and long Days bother me.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:29 AM   #12
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Did you read the part about 'having to read upwards of 500 posts per 24 hours'? That's a whole game of BD Werewolf. I'm just a little wolf, and long Days bother me.
Mr. Agreeable becomes Mr. Migraine?
Old 05-03-2018, 05:10 PM   #13
Thingyman
Newly Deceased

If anyone is interested in repping The Barrow-Downs this year, please let me know before the week is over.

A little video to hopefully get you hyped about this season - would love to add your community's name to it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT3s0MrQZxA
Old 05-03-2018, 09:19 PM   #14
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Did you read the part about 'having to read upwards of 500 posts per 24 hours'? That's a whole game of BD Werewolf.
Can even be two whole BD games. In 24h.

Can we play as a collective alter-ego and rotate Downers based on the time zone? We can be the town schizophrenic!
Old 05-05-2018, 09:57 AM   #15
Thingyman
Newly Deceased

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Can even be two whole BD games. In 24h.

Can we play as a collective alter-ego and rotate Downers based on the time zone? We can be the town schizophrenic!
Haha, you're not the first community to ever ask this question - but unfortunately no

However, I do want to note that your representative gets to choose 1) when their game would start, 2) what the deadlines are (i.e. if they're a Euro, they'll get placed accordingly), and 3) what the phases are, so maybe a game with 72 hour day phases and 24 hour day phases would be more suitable for someone who is a bit busy, but can still manage to crack at least 10 posts over the course of 3 real life days.

You guys seem very chill and nice around here, which is why I'm pushing the issue - I REALLY want you guys to participate in this season