The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-15-2008, 10:21 AM   #1281
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
People who played in the Republic WW game might understand why I started giggling on an English lesson after reading the following passage...

When you suddenly change your opinion or decision to an opposite one, you do a 180.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:26 AM   #1282
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I don't understand why that made you laugh. . . . for me that game was rather traumatic.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:40 PM   #1283
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I think one interesting sign of addiction is when your brother is listening to Jethro Tull and your first reaction is to go and tell him: "Hey, I know this song - Hookbill used to have it as his location!"
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:17 PM   #1284
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
When you are very stressed all day long and all night (and the week before) because you haven't gotten your picture for Paper Telephone in yet...

Or when your Downsian friends become more important to you than your RL friends... (except Laurinque, because you can talk about the Downs with her...)

Last edited by TheGreatElvenWarrior; 12-22-2008 at 10:20 PM.
TheGreatElvenWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:12 AM   #1285
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
I think one interesting sign of addiction is when your brother is listening to Jethro Tull and your first reaction is to go and tell him: "Hey, I know this song - Hookbill used to have it as his location!"
That's understandable. I probably would have done that too. Are we "getting a bit short on Legates lately" by any chance? Does your brother like LOTR, by the way? We could get him to come join with us if he does.

Who listens, understands

Hmm... this has inspired me:

I see Amon Lanc
On the horizon
Set under a black cloud
That hides the sun.

Bring me my broadsword
And clear understanding.
Bring me my Silmaril*.... etc

*or Elessar
Old 12-23-2008, 08:28 AM   #1286
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
That's understandable. I probably would have done that too. Are we "getting a bit short on Legates lately" by any chance? Does your brother like LOTR, by the way? We could get him to come join with us if he does.
Hm, but I actually don't think he would. He is not a big Tolkien fan. I don't think he would join to participate very much... Perhaps only on Paper Telephone or something.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 12-23-2008, 08:42 AM   #1287
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
When you need to kill time while waiting for an answer on "Why I can't print", and you come to the downs and post some comment regarding something about spaces and tengwar even though you really don't exactly know.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:56 AM   #1288
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12_30 View Post
When you need to kill time while waiting for an answer on "Why I can't print", and you come to the downs and post some comment regarding something about spaces and tengwar even though you really don't exactly know.
When on the Downs you reply to a post about commenting about not knowing spacing in Tengwar, and haven't even looked at the thread the other poster was referencing.

-OR-

Becoming irritated when no one has posted on the Downs for several hours. Someone post so I can comment, dog nabbit!
Old 12-23-2008, 09:10 AM   #1289
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
You could comment on my lovely tengwar guessanswer.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:40 AM   #1290
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Becoming irritated when no one has posted on the Downs for several hours. Someone post so I can comment, dog nabbit!
This is one I have to agree with.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:22 AM   #1291
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post

That always happens to me on a Sunday and I sit there thinking "Gerrouttabed you lazy beggars!" because there's nowt happening
Old 12-28-2008, 11:23 AM   #1292
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Eats, shoots, and leaves....

When you see the shop name, "BOROS", and think "Where is the apostrophe?", thus combining an obsession with the Downs with the zero-tolerance approach to punctuation.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:39 PM   #1293
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

When you're worried that you ccan't think of anything to post in this thread.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:43 PM   #1294
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
The very fact that you DO post on this thread. Just sayin'.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:50 PM   #1295
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dűm

Gollum the Great has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
When you're worried that you ccan't think of anything to post in this thread.
That's something I've been thinking of for a while. Heartily seconded.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:53 AM   #1296
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
When you do a double take upon reading B88's sig: I should have gone with a Mac.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:20 PM   #1297
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen View Post
When you do a double take upon reading B88's sig: I should have gone with a Mac.
Indeed - probably especially if you do a double take every single time you read it.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:16 AM   #1298
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Indeed - probably especially if you do a double take every single time you read it.
*raises hand sheepishly*
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:48 PM   #1299
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Sign the Barrowdowns is addicted to me: I google a string of words completely unrelated to Tolkien (doing research for a paper on Spenser) and the first hit is a 'downs thread.

Stop following me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen
*raises hand sheepishly*
*does likewise*

Last edited by Rikae; 01-20-2009 at 08:52 PM.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:33 AM   #1300
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

I have been just a bit startled by the fact that I was listening to a music album where one song was named Strider and another one Phantom. There is also a track called Cannon. Good that it isn't Canon...
Old 01-22-2009, 04:12 PM   #1301
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
1) You skip lunch because you have to take the time to play ww from somewhere.

2) You suddenly find the very basic Franch phrase "il y a" (= "there is") very amusing after eight years of studying the language...
Old 01-23-2009, 12:39 PM   #1302
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I was watching a movie the other day called Ride with the Devil about the American Civil War. At first I though it was going to be a great movie, but it soon took a turn for the worst when the typical Hollywood political correctness started showing (hate it when that happens). Anyway, I was about to turn it off when a rebel with long hair and a feathered cap came into play and he looked EXACTLY like Volo! I couldn't stop watching it after that, thank you Volo for saving the movie!
Old 01-23-2009, 01:37 PM   #1303
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
When you have to make a conscious effort to spell "today" correctly, and not with a capital "D" in the middle of the word.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:51 PM   #1304
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

When in physics you write "Volocity" instead of "velocity"
Old 02-10-2009, 05:26 AM   #1305
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
When you have to make a conscious effort to spell "today" correctly, and not with a capital "D" in the middle of the word.
Oh, but that is pretty... normal... erm...

Quote:
When in physics you write "Volocity" instead of "velocity"
Now that is realy bad...
Old 03-03-2009, 05:24 PM   #1306
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

When you think of ME stuff so much that you actually think "HoME" in your head rather than "History of Middle Earth".

But this only happened to me once... er...
Old 03-12-2009, 09:56 AM   #1307
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
When the first thing you think upon reading an article in today's newspaper about a newly opened penguin museum in Germany is, "Oh, I must tell Lommy about this!"
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:43 PM   #1308
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

When you remember this post and use it justify to yourself that "brutal" is the word you are looking for when writing an essay in history:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I saw a juice bottle at the grocery store today. It said "apple, strawberry and lychee" and I read "apple, strawberry and lynchee" and thought: "How brutal!"
Old 03-14-2009, 02:12 PM   #1309
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

When you finally learn how to make an origami penguin, and it reminds you of the Barrow-Downs, so you have an urge to write "Lommy" on it.

Last edited by Eönwë; 03-14-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:21 AM   #1310
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

When you say something to your brother, and he does not understand you, and after clarifying it, he says: "Ah! I thought you said 'Hookbill the Goomba'."
Old 03-15-2009, 10:58 AM   #1311
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
When you develop a habit of naming your clay sculptures after downers for silly reasons.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:53 AM   #1312
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
When you develop a habit of naming your clay sculptures after downers for silly reasons.
"For incredibly silly reasons", you mean?
Old 03-16-2009, 07:35 PM   #1313
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

When I was eating a snack today (really a second lunch), I read a headline of the Anchorage Daily News that said "Hooked on Dogs", I thought it said at first, "Hooked on Goombas." I think this is saying something.

Last edited by TheGreatElvenWarrior; 04-17-2009 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Food
TheGreatElvenWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:53 AM   #1314
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

When you read "Elisabeth Báthory" as "Elisabeth Bethberry"...
Old 03-23-2009, 04:36 PM   #1315
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

When you try to imagine what a BDs TV advert would be like.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:45 PM   #1316
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Quote:
When you try to imagine what a BDs TV advert would be like.
Ooh, could we actually do that?...

Or at least a documentary...
Old 03-25-2009, 03:06 PM   #1317
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

You know that you're addicted to the Barrow-Downs when you're sitting in study hall, and you're supposed to get your maths done (even though instead of doing that, you're reading a book on Britain) and the computer stares at you in the face. You decide that now would be a good time to check to see if Paper Telephone has started yet. And you are still sitting at the computer...

Also, when you start using BD slang in your diary, and everyday life.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:47 PM   #1318
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

I was reading the ingredients list on a package to-day, and I managed to read one of the ingredients off as "Thinlomien".
Old 04-10-2009, 10:50 PM   #1319
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
When you're severely jealous of your dance teacher because she got to perform with a friend's dance company in Helsinki this past week...
Old 04-11-2009, 04:46 AM   #1320
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Not sure this will help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post
When you're severely jealous of your dance teacher because she got to perform with a friend's dance company in Helsinki this past week...
You know, that place is about two blocks from Lommy, Green & Nog's school...