The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-08-2008, 02:26 PM   #1041
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
On Facebook, I just received a notification that I have "1 (Lil) Green Patch request" (some sort of extra application for the site).

I'm sure all you other BDers can understand who that instantly reminded me of...
Old 04-09-2008, 10:21 AM   #1042
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinn
On Facebook, I just received a notification that I have "1 (Lil) Green Patch request" (some sort of extra application for the site).
Haha I received that one as well and had to accept it just because it had such a good name... (Me, an egoist? No way!)

"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:59 AM   #1043
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
When you wonder why you've only posted as little posts as you have, when there are so many shiny new threads.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:36 PM   #1044
MaultheStoor
Animated Skeleton

Location: The cave under the Misty Mountains. Just take a wrong turn in the goblin's tunnels.
MaultheStoor is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
Talk to the lonely Stoor

When you get depressed when no one ever answers your posts. When you feel that the only friends you have are online and when you say 'my friends' you'e reffering to the other BDers.

See? You made him mad.
MaultheStoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:51 PM   #1045
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
When someone starts telling about their dreams and says "I dreamt that Iron Maiden had a gig in metro...", your first reaction is: "IronMaiden? Who's that? Should I know her? Is she a newbie?"

Also, if you happily write "wolves" when you should write "vowels"...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:49 PM   #1046
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
When you read the Children of Húrin and think that Mormegil written with a capital "M"... just... looks... wrong.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:54 PM   #1047
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Oh yes... and it seems odd that Nogrod is a place and that they keep missing the 88 off Boromir .......

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:32 PM   #1048
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
When someone starts telling about their dreams and says "I dreamt that Iron Maiden had a gig in metro...", your first reaction is: "IronMaiden? Who's that? Should I know her? Is she a newbie?"
That is not a sign of addiction to the downs. . . It is a sign of lack of education! Iron Maiden is soo retro, soo cliche, which in turn means that they are soo cool! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Oh yes... and it seems odd that Nogrod is a place and that they keep missing the 88 off Boromir .......
When I read in my history books I constantly read Nogrod instead of Novgorod.

Also the fact that I can walk around with a big smile on my face all day, just because some random downer had a dream in which I appeared.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:48 PM   #1049
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
When I read in my history books I constantly read Nogrod instead of Novgorod.
I have made that mistake myself as well... Now what does that tell you?
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:36 PM   #1050
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Also seeing or hearing any mentioning of old runes in Scandinavia brings quite different ideas to me... And I should be able to study the old mythologies!
Old 04-14-2008, 08:06 PM   #1051
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
At the public library they were selling a book called: Literary Market Place 2005. The title was then also abbreviated above in large letters: LMP. That was what I saw first, and, needless to say, I did a double-take.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:42 PM   #1052
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure View Post
When you read the Children of Húrin and think that Mormegil written with a capital "M"... just... looks... wrong.
Very true. If I remember right, morm said somewhere that he wanted to capitalise the first M. I thought it would look very odd.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:12 PM   #1053
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
I had to write a letter about my musical tastes in an English course. So...
Old 04-15-2008, 02:19 PM   #1054
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Sting

A discussion in my creative writing class about describing a room...

Lecturer: So, there's a telephone in the room. What kind?
Me: A paper one.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:39 AM   #1055
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
To add to the education of the not so old Scandinavian Rune ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
That is not a sign of addiction to the downs. . . It is a sign of lack of education! Iron Maiden is soo retro, soo cliche, which in turn means that they are soo cool! ! !
Iron maidens were also a medieaval torture device - and a reason for Mrs Thatcher's soubriquet of "The Iron Lady". No comment.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:28 AM   #1056
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
When reading a month-old issue of the Downer (for the first time) and seeing the words "Doctor Lhunardawen" in an article made your week.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:22 AM   #1057
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen View Post
When reading a month-old issue of the Downer (for the first time) and seeing the words "Doctor Lhunardawen" in an article made your week.
Glad to be of service.
I think you were a scientist at some point in the very early ones... I may be mistaken, I can't keep track of all the lies... I mean facts... (I don't think anyone noticed).

Once again, I felt the niggling sense that I'm addicted to the Downs when my lecturer today said, "I knew someone who had a bone marrow transplant" and I thought he said, "I knew someone who had a mone BARROW transplant."
Old 04-16-2008, 09:35 AM   #1058
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
Once again, I felt the niggling sense that I'm addicted to the Downs when my lecturer today said, "I knew someone who had a bone marrow transplant" and I thought he said, "I knew someone who had a mone BARROW transplant."
Addiction: Your first thought on reading this was, "The lecturer's been reading the Downer. He doesn't know anyone who's had a marrow transplant..."
Old 04-16-2008, 02:51 PM   #1059
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
When you're listening to David Bowie's Jean Genie and the line 'poor little greenie' comes up and you immediately get a picture in your head of that photo of Greenie in the barrow with those hands!

EDIT: Huh, and when you then spend a few minutes wondering just why we collectively shorted Little Green to Greenie with an ie rather than a y like we did with Lommy.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:00 PM   #1060
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
I think 'ie' is more of a diminutive suffix in English...and she IS younger than Lommy, right?
Old 04-16-2008, 04:25 PM   #1061
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
I think 'ie' is more of a diminutive suffix in English...and she IS younger than Lommy, right?
Yes.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:57 PM   #1062
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Tolkien How I wish you where here. . .

This is one for those who was around when we had our "survivor" threads going. . .

When I hear "Another Brick In The Wall" I sing:

"We don’t need no segregation. We don’t need no vote control.
No dark oppression on the Island.
Glirdan, leave those elves alone!"

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:23 PM   #1063
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
I love the idea you think it was a conscious decision.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:23 AM   #1064
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Hmmm... but why's our father called Noggie then?
Old 04-17-2008, 06:45 AM   #1065
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
It must be because I'm so small...
Old 04-17-2008, 06:57 AM   #1066
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
When you're listening to David Bowie's Jean Genie and the line 'poor little greenie' comes up and you immediately get a picture in your head of that photo of Greenie in the barrow with those hands!
Actually, I used that in Greenie's death narration in the ww modded by me. I'm not sure if I quoted it also right when we were taking the photos, but I know for sure that I sang it earlier that day.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:31 AM   #1067
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
He's not...short, is he?
Old 04-26-2008, 11:29 AM   #1068
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Silmaril That which is suitable for a legate is not suitable for a princess

So... I'm reading the Hunchback of Notre-Dame by Victor Hugo, which I now find more amusing than the last time I read it.

Quote:
"Then it is not the same one," said Gisquette, "that was given two years ago, on the day of the entrance of monsieur the legate, and where three handsome maids played the parts--"

"Of sirens," said Liénarde.

"And all naked," added the young man.
Quote:
"That is a pity," resumed Gisquette. "That day, at the Ponceau Fountain, there were wild men and women, who fought and assumed many aspects, as they sang little motets and bergerettes."

"That which is suitable for a legate," returned the stranger, with a good deal of dryness, "is not suitable for a princess."
Quote:
"How well I remember that!" exclaimed Gisquette; "God on the cross, and the two thieves on the right and the left." Here the young gossips, growing warm at the memory of the entrance of monsieur the legate, both began to talk at once.

"And when the legate passed, you remember, Gisquette? they made the assault, and the English all had their throats cut."

"And against the gate of the Châtelet, there were very fine personages!"

"And on the Port au Change, which was all draped above!"

"And when the legate passed, they let fly on the bridge more than two hundred sorts of birds; wasn't it beautiful, Liénarde?"
Old 04-26-2008, 12:07 PM   #1069
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
He's not...short, is he?
Errr... well, not exactly. He's around 180 cm (some 6 ft?) tall so I wouldn't call him short...

Today I was amused by our DVD player's remote control because it had the letters "LG" in it.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
Old 04-26-2008, 12:51 PM   #1070
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
So... I'm reading the Hunchback of Notre-Dame by Victor Hugo, which I now find more amusing than the last time I read it.
Fascinating book. I've only read it once, while I was living in Paris, but I really enjoy all the history that Hugo puts in his books. Chapters and chapters of historical context for a single scene...he does that in Les Miserables as well.

Being addicted to the Barrow-Downs really is a life-enriching experience. You find start finding meaning every where you look, in the littlest of things.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:54 PM   #1071
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
*is an addict*

I actually mentioned the Downs in a term paper. Scary part is, it made sense.

Oh, and the other day, Emily and I were driving to dinner and I mispronounced some word (don't remember what it was, sadly) and said "Finn" instead of "thin" when talking about the fog that was everywhere. Emily responded, "Great. Now I'm envisioning Lommy passing gas." It was excessively random, I'm not going to lie.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 12:57 PM   #1072
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

"That which is suitable for a legate is not suitable for a princess" would make a nice siggy for Legate, actually...
Old 04-28-2008, 11:11 AM   #1073
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
When you do this instead of revising for your vitally important Year 9 SATs.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:14 AM   #1074
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
"That which is suitable for a legate is not suitable for a princess" would make a nice siggy for Legate, actually...
I actually thought about that for one moment when I saw what Agan wrote
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:22 AM   #1075
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Quote:
If it's any help, by the time you get to GCSE's the SATs really don't matter! So don't feel too bad about procrastinating.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:06 PM   #1076
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

When you see a Wheel Barrow painted white and think "Ha-ha! Wheel Barrow Wight! "

Yes.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:30 PM   #1077
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

When you laugh so hard at Hooky's post above that your bemused housemates stare at you and when you try to explain ... well, let's just say they really didn't get it.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:34 AM   #1078
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

When finding the verb "caber" from your book makes your Spanish lesson suddenly far more amusing than it was before...
Old 04-29-2008, 05:52 AM   #1079
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Does this count: for the last two days or so, I've been mistyping every single word ending in -mit as -mith, like just a while ago I wrote admith. And I don't even realise the typo before reading through it again...
Old 04-29-2008, 06:41 AM   #1080
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
Eonwe, don't worry about them.. they are vitally important to the school but not so much for you as an individual....

Lommie, that is a bit scary...

but then I couldn't take a Letter before action as seriously as I might today because it was from "SPM Collections" .... perhaps the reason we haven' t seen so much of him lately is becasue he is mooonlighting as a bailiff (NB the letter was to the company I am working for not me personally!)