The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2010, 08:58 PM   #1441
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

Sign you're addicted to the Barrowdowns:

When you sit on a bus for 18 hours to go to a strange city in a strange country simply to meet people from the Downs.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:59 PM   #1442
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilwarin538 View Post
Sign you're addicted to the Barrowdowns:

When you sit on a bus for 18 hours to go to a strange city in a strange country simply to meet people from the Downs.
When you wish you could have done that.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:10 PM   #1443
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
When you wish you could have done that.
We still love you! <3

And yes Wilwa I agree....but it was well worth the 18 hours!!

By the way, I will hopefully be posting part three of my take on Bostonmoot at some point...I've been way too busy to do anything and just started writing it last night before I got swept away on yet another adventure.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:43 PM   #1444
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I was typing on facebook just now and wanted to know why the wouldn't work. *headdesks*
Old 01-19-2010, 05:08 AM   #1445
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
There's an Esty Street in Ithaca, NY. It's not nearly as nice and welcoming as the real Esty, though.
Awwww...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:01 PM   #1446
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
You know you're addicted to the Barrow-Downs when you are sitting in your maths class and the problem on the board is about a plane travelling to Barrow, and you first read it as the Barrow-Downs. I seriously must have been having hallucinations!
Old 01-22-2010, 07:10 PM   #1447
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Silmaril

Today I was driving home and the car infront of me, their license plate started with BEJF, but at first I thought it said BEEF and I got way too excited. Too much P&A I suppose, haha.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:19 PM   #1448
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Today I was driving home and the car infront of me, their license plate started with BEJF, but at first I thought it said BEEF and I got way too excited. Too much P&A I suppose, haha.
You can never read too much Phantom and Alien.

You might be addicted to the Barrow-Downs if you have at least two of your friends (who are not Downers) with more to come that read the Phantom and Alien religiously.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:30 PM   #1449
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

So I was prepping a lesson for youth group and was typing Boaz. Typed Boro instead.

(Then, after texting Boro about this, he convinced me to keep it on the page. So I was teaching and was like "What the heck?!")
Old 02-11-2010, 08:37 PM   #1450
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Silmaril

Today in my Early Medieval History class my teacher was talking about Roland (some Medieval guy with a horn) and she said that anyone who is a Lord of the Rings fan (this sparked my interest and I jumped out of my boredum trance) should read the story about Roland because it would make Boromir's character "make more sense". I of course immediately thought of Boro88 and for a second was confused as to how my prof knew him, and then remembered the actual purpose of this website besides making cool friends, and made the whole connection to the horn and such....
Old 02-12-2010, 02:55 PM   #1451
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Heh, yay sally! You kept it. I guess for wanting to convince you, this would be a sign of my own addiction.

Quote:
I of course immediately thought of Boro88 and for a second was confused as to how my prof knew him, and then remembered the actual purpose of this website besides making cool friends, and made the whole connection to the horn and such....
I can take this in so many directions, but I'll just say thanks for making me laugh. You just made my day.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:36 PM   #1452
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
When I see the beer Stella Artois I think of Shasta, which is odd, since Shasta is lovely and Stella is rubbish.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:11 PM   #1453
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

I think that addiction might come in the form of typing "facebook.com" in the URL and start to type "forum.barrowdowns.com" It doesn't matter that I can't get on the Downs on my home computer, it still is a habit.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:43 AM   #1454
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Silmaril

Yesterday at work I had to look up a customer in the system named D. Wilson. So I typed it in and was shocked to see that there were no results, since it's such a popular last name I was sure I'd have to search through a ton of names. It was then that I realised I had typed in D. Wilwa.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:20 AM   #1455
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilwa
Yesterday at work I had to look up a customer in the system named D. Wilson. So I typed it in and was shocked to see that there were no results, since it's such a popular last name I was sure I'd have to search through a ton of names. It was then that I realised I had typed in D. Wilwa.
That's quite hilarious.

I think one sign of being addicted is probably that when iTunes randomly plays you one song from the LotR soundtrack, you have to dash to the 'downs even from under a horrible pile of schoolwork. (Well, I guess everybody needs their pauses every now and then... )
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:07 PM   #1456
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

You know that you're addicted to the Barrow-Downs when you are plumb exhausted writing this because of an illness, that you swear is making you hallucinate; which means that you can't quite see well enough to write this.

You also know that you are addicted when you had a better celebrated Deathday, than an actual birthday. I can honestly say that my sixteenth birthday was the worst I've ever had because I didn't have the Barrow-Downs and wasn't wished happy birthday by a certain Downer.

Yup. I'm that pitiful.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:31 PM   #1457
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
My little sister named her stuffed penguin Lottie (short for Charlotte)(despite my insistance that it should be Lommy, just 'cause it's a penguin) and now, whenever she mentions her new stuffed penguin Lottie, I wonder who's trying to talk to me.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:07 PM   #1458
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

I've texted/IM'd people and automatically checked to see that my message didn't have more than three smilies. Don't want it to bounce back!

Old 03-14-2010, 07:30 PM   #1459
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Silmaril

So in my Early Medieval Europe History class I'm consistently finding the word "Novgorod" and everytime I see it I have to do a double take, cause it just looks so much like Nogrod.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:22 PM   #1460
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
My little sister named her stuffed penguin Lottie (short for Charlotte)(despite my insistance that it should be Lommy, just 'cause it's a penguin) and now, whenever she mentions her new stuffed penguin Lottie, I wonder who's trying to talk to me.
Aww. But you know, I was like "what? why would some kid name her soft toy after her sister?" ie. I was thinking your real name is Charlotte/Lottie.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:06 PM   #1461
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Aww. But you know, I was like "what? why would some kid name her soft toy after her sister?" ie. I was thinking your real name is Charlotte/Lottie.
Ha! Nice. It's not - and there's actually another similar story about that. I was watching this movie, and one of the minor characters was named Charlotte, and people called her Lottie. I had never noticed that Lottie was an actual name before, so I flipped when I heard people in this movie started using it.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:29 PM   #1462
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
This reminds me - driving home from work the other day, I was overtaken by a car whose license plate began with WIL-W. Imagine a big silly grin spreading over my face.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:14 PM   #1463
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
This reminds me - driving home from work the other day, I was overtaken by a car whose license plate began with WIL-W. Imagine a big silly grin spreading over my face.
like this ->

That's really cool though!!!
Old 03-20-2010, 01:50 PM   #1464
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
So, I'm in my community theatre's production of West Side Story, and one of the songs is a dream sequence and I play Riff (who is one of the leads that croaks like half way through btw). Anyways, so we're in a polishing rehearsal (for those non-theatre folk, that's a rehearsal for fixing and tweaking choreography, making sure everyone's doing the same thing at the same time with the right and movements and all that jazz) and we were told by our choreographer to think of a happy place (which I think is hilarious because by this time in the play I'm dead). And me, being me, said out loud for all to hear "Boston!". So long story short, I have Bostonmoot and thus the Downs on the brain even while performing
Old 03-20-2010, 08:48 PM   #1465
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glirdan View Post
I play Riff (who is one of the leads that croaks like half way through btw).
Gah, way to spoil the ending. Don't need to go see it now. :P
Old 03-21-2010, 12:03 AM   #1466
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Glirdan, darling, you are so rubbishly unmethod. But I love you anyway.

I was watching Dollhouse last night and there was a little girl whose father called her Mariposa. Mariposa means butterfly. Guess who I wanted to tell?
Old 03-21-2010, 06:38 AM   #1467
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
I was watching Dollhouse last night and there was a little girl whose father called her Mariposa. Mariposa means butterfly. Guess who I wanted to tell?

That was my Spanish name when I took Spanish in highschool. It's so pretty. And right now Good Morning America is talking about how butterflies are dying out .
Old 03-21-2010, 02:19 PM   #1468
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:

That was my Spanish name when I took Spanish in highschool. It's so pretty. And right now Good Morning America is talking about how butterflies are dying out .
It is indeed. <3

And oh noes! I'll launch a protest. We must save Wilwa!
Old 03-23-2010, 02:32 PM   #1469
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

So....I was watching Dollhouse this afternoon, the unaired pilot. Topher asked Boyd if he'd been hanging around with 'the Phantom'. I did a bit of a double take. (They were talking about Dr. Saunders, for the record.)
Old 03-29-2010, 01:18 AM   #1470
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Over the weekend, I was at this retreat, and of the fifty people there, five of us had the same name. So when two or more of us were in the same place, my friends actually called me Lottie, just 'cause they knew I'd respond and the others wouldn't.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:21 AM   #1471
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Over the weekend, I was at this retreat, and of the fifty people there, five of us had the same name. So when two or more of us were in the same place, my friends actually called me Lottie, just 'cause they knew I'd respond and the others wouldn't.
Seconded. My contingency plan for more than one of me is to have people call me Sally. I usually get a weird look but people go for it.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:23 AM   #1472
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Silmaril

So at my placement they were doing a craft with some seeds, and one pack was of Perennial seeds and on the top it said Shasta Daisies. It was cool....and is my new nickname for Shasta....
Old 04-09-2010, 11:15 AM   #1473
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
You know you're a Barrow Downs junkie when you come across your BD screen name in a discussion of the book you originally borrowed it from and it takes you a split second to remind yourself that this isn't the Downs and no one's talking about you.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:57 PM   #1474
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
So at my placement they were doing a craft with some seeds, and one pack was of Perennial seeds and on the top it said Shasta Daisies. It was cool....and is my new nickname for Shasta....
Am I the only one who now has the song "Santa Baby" (only as Shasta Daisy) in my head? I may just have to parody it.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:07 PM   #1475
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Silmaril

Quote:
Am I the only one who now has the song "Santa Baby" (only as Shasta Daisy) in my head?
ahahahahahahahaha

Now I do.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:58 AM   #1476
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
You know you're a Barrow Downs junkie when you come across your BD screen name in a discussion of the book you originally borrowed it from and it takes you a split second to remind yourself that this isn't the Downs and no one's talking about you.
It's ok. *comforts* We all do it. Or at least I do.

If someone mentions Eönwë on the BDs, it always takes a second to realise that they're not talking about me.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:23 PM   #1477
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
If someone mentions Eönwë on the BDs, it always takes a second to realise that they're not talking about me.
Well, of course they're talking about you. Why wouldn't they be?

You know that you're addicted to the Barrow-Downs when you see a sign every day when you go to school that you always read as "Better Quality Bacon" when, to the untrained eye, it says "Better Quality Service".
Old 04-10-2010, 08:31 PM   #1478
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
Well, of course they're talking about you. Why wouldn't they be?

You know that you're addicted to the Barrow-Downs when you see a sign every day when you go to school that you always read as "Better Quality Bacon" when, to the untrained eye, it says "Better Quality Service".
Loslote's Better Quality Bacon would have Better Quality Service, too, if its owner/manager/server weren't in jail so often.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:38 PM   #1479
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Loslote's Better Quality Bacon would have Better Quality Service, too, if its owner/manager/server weren't in jail so often.
Yeah, I've noticed that. Hopefully they let said owner/manager/server out of jail long enough to actually get that prestigious title.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:44 PM   #1480
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
Yeah, I've noticed that. Hopefully they let said owner/manager/server out of jail long enough to actually get that prestigious title.
Oh, it doesn't matter if they do or not, I'm about two spoonfuls of dirt away from freedom. There's a reason why I always ask for cell # 47.