The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2008, 05:48 PM   #401
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Hey happy deathday Brinn! Six whole years, that's pretty impressive. Next test is the 10 year mark.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:52 PM   #402
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up

Belated congrats, Brinn! It's so wonderful to have you here with us.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:59 PM   #403
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Happy (belated) deathday to Brinn! Great to have you here.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:54 AM   #404
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Thanks guys.

You know, I often find myself reading a thread and when something or terribly clever comes up I'll start laughing and say to myself, "Oh how I love these guys." It's really the people here that makes the Downs so wonderful...I've never seen any other forum like it and so well bonded. Anyways, I really do love the Downs (I don't know how I went almost two years without it) and I can't imagine leaving again anytime soon (and if I ever did disappear for some odd reason, I'm bound to return).

In fact, I can see myself at 30 still haunting the Downs. That'd be way cool actually...because then I could say, "Today is my 16th Deathday."
Old 06-20-2008, 07:26 PM   #405
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Hmmm...It would seem I celebrated a death over two weeks ago, but I still look relatively good and smell fairly fresh *sniffs shirt for tell-tale odor*. Who says all those preservatives in processed foods are necessarily a bad thing?

Which reminds me of a lyric I wrote a couple centuries ago from a song aptly entitled The Artifical Flavor, Monosodium Glutamate Blues...

When I die they won't embalm me
I am already well preserved
I'm a walking Tutankhamun
With all these chemicals in reserve
I got cellophane veins
And plastic-coated nerves.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:11 PM   #406
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Happy 1st Deathday TGEW! (for yesterday)
Old 08-03-2008, 03:19 PM   #407
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
Happy 1st Deathday TGEW! (for yesterday)
Yay! I am happy now, I have been dead for ONE WHOLE YEAR!
Thank You!
Old 08-03-2008, 04:23 PM   #408
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Yes, congratulations on being dead TGEW! May a tombstone be over you head, and your tomb grow ever colder for many more years to come. Glad to have you with us!
Old 08-03-2008, 04:59 PM   #409
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
Yes, congratulations on being dead TGEW! May a tombstone be over you head, and your tomb grow ever colder for many more years to come. Glad to have you with us!
*to adoring fans* Thank you, thank you! I am happy to be here with all of you wonderful wights!

Anyway, it's a good thing that the Downs is big enough for dorks like me, otherwise you all might be really dead...
Old 08-12-2008, 12:11 AM   #410
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
It seems Volo's second deathday (which was last Friday) has passed by unnoticed. I would've mentioned it earlier except I was out of town. Forgotten deathdays occur way too often.

So without further ado...Happy Deathday Volo! Glad to have you among the dead.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:16 AM   #411
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
1420!

It did not go unnoticed in Finland (mainly because Volo him self made sure to mention it).

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:50 AM   #412
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post
It seems Volo's second deathday (which was last Friday) has passed by unnoticed. I would've mentioned it earlier except I was out of town. Forgotten deathdays occur way too often.

So without further ado...Happy Deathday Volo! Glad to have you among the dead.
Wonderful! Thank you a lot for not only noticing it! I'm glad to have myself among such dead too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
It did not go unnoticed in Finland (mainly because Volo him self made sure to mention it).
Well, it was because we discussed the times we joined in the sauna. Oh, and thanks for the mead.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:49 AM   #413
Legolas1
Pile O'Bones

Legolas1 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Legolas1 Send a message via Yahoo to Legolas1
i died a couple of days ago!!!!!
Old 08-26-2008, 06:52 PM   #414
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Ah! Yesterday! And I only realised it because I was looking at old posts from last year, for no reason.

Two years I've been hanging around here. I'm not sure if that's something to be proud of or not...
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 02:15 AM   #415
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Belated congrats Rikae! I don't know if you should be proud of those two years - I would, if I were you - but I'm sure you're glad of them, and we're so glad too because we love to have you around. (Heehee, I'm quite sure I'm not just talking for myself....)
Old 08-27-2008, 05:16 AM   #416
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
Ah! Yesterday! And I only realised it because I was looking at old posts from last year, for no reason.

Two years I've been hanging around here. I'm not sure if that's something to be proud of or not...
Definitely somethin to be proud of If only because it's honor to be a Downer!

And belated deathday congrats from me, too Stay around for many more...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:13 AM   #417
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Ah! I missed your deathday, Rikae! Belated congratulations, love!
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 01:28 PM   #418
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Happy day after your deathday, Rikae. Those two years one the Downs are probably the best spent years of your life!
Old 09-02-2008, 10:21 PM   #419
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas1 View Post
i died a couple of days ago!!!!!
Just wait till you get to the one year mark, like me. GOSH! I'm old...
Old 09-03-2008, 02:21 AM   #420
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
Just wait till you get to the one year mark, like me. GOSH! I'm old...
Yeah, you are... belated congrats, by the way.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:36 PM   #421
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Yeah, you are... belated congrats, by the way.
Okay. Maybe not that old... lets see, in 2004 when you joined, Lommy I was 10. And would not have dreamed of any website like this. Not even in my worst nightmare.

And Thank You!
Old 09-05-2008, 12:48 AM   #422
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Eight years since I took to these fog-shrouded cyber mounds. Yikes!

Yes, I've gone rather quiet in recent years, but I still stroll among the hills, passing them by on the East side no less, when it's quiet and no one is about...
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:52 AM   #423
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Underhill View Post
Eight years since I took to these fog-shrouded cyber mounds. Yikes!
Yes, I've gone rather quiet in recent years, but I still stroll among the hills, passing them by on the East side no less, when it's quiet and no one is about...
I'm amazed both to see the venerable Sir Underhill posting and to realise he's really been here for eight years... That's quite a lot really, quite an achievement. (Achievement? Now that sounds like this was some horrible place that people can't stand for a long time... ) But anyway, congrats Mr Underhill and may you haunt here for many more years!
Old 09-05-2008, 01:18 AM   #424
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Congratulations indeed, Mister Underhill! You've been a vital part of this website, whether posting in its early days (I still enjoy rereading those hilarious exchanges between you and Sharkey!) or quietly working in the background. May you continue to enjoy your life after death here.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:41 PM   #425
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Thank you, ladies. It's hard to believe it's been such a long time since I first clapped eyes on the eerie green blade of the Downs. A lot of changes, a lot of water under the bridge, many friends found and many lost, and through it all, even as I've become more and more tree-ish, a click on the Downs has been nearly a daily ritual during that time.

I feel positively Elvish. Some day, I suppose, I'll sail West and leave the Downs behind me. But not today.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:54 AM   #426
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
A belated congratulations, Mister U. It is good to know you are still lurking about. I had begun to fear you had indeed gone the way of the Eldar and left the Downs forever.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:56 AM   #427
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Happy Deathday Mr. Underhill, I'm glad that you're still hanging around!
Old 09-06-2008, 08:46 AM   #428
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Looks like Mr Underhill is getting a little melancholy. Still, I suppose that's understandable after so many years in the wilderness. Many happy returns on your deathday, and come back to us.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:12 AM   #429
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Indeed. To me, Mister Underhill was always more like a shadow on the borders of old stories...Eight years, that's almost unbelievable, and the more to actually see him, I could say, walking on the green earth in the daylight... *shrugs* Happy Deathday...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 09-06-2008, 10:31 AM   #430
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Happy Deathday to you indeed, Mister Underhill!
Old 09-08-2008, 12:49 AM   #431
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Thanks, everyone, for the well-wishes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
A belated congratulations, Mister U.
Inziladun! Holy smokes! You are almost as well-preserved as myself. I didn't know you were still around either. Nice to see a face from the Elder days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
Looks like Mr Underhill is getting a little melancholy.
Aye, that happens sometimes when I think back on the first few years of the site. The fact that my old compadre HerenIstarion is currently in a war zone doesn't help my disposition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc
To me, Mister Underhill was always more like a shadow on the borders of old stories...
Ai, has it come to that? I post from time to time in the hidden administrative sections of the Downs, pitching in to squash spammers or make sure the machinery continues to clank away behind the scenes, so I feel a little more active than I appear to the naked eye. But I'm actually rereading LotR for the first time in a few years, so maybe I'll dredge up a few new ideas for Books, and the Hobbit movies are sure to draw an opinion or three as well.

Anywho, thanks and regards to all.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:15 AM   #432
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Amazing!

Once again I managed to miss my own deathday. . . It is almost a tradition by now.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:28 AM   #433
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Well, happy belated deathday to you, Runne son of Bjarrne. Many Downer meetings for you in the future... even far more you had until now...
Old 09-22-2008, 11:37 AM   #434
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Haha, Rune, happy deathday. Three years starst to sound rather venerable already... although I still remember it when you joined.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:45 PM   #435
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Haha, Rune, happy deathday. Three years starst to sound rather venerable already... although I still remember it when you joined.
Venerable indeed. . . although I would be worried if you all of the sudden forgot.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:08 PM   #436
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Mine is actually tomorrow, but seeing as I may not be able to get over here tomorrow, pardon me for posting it earlier

So, 8 years

Even if I was a rare visitor for last couple of years (not my fault, circumstances, kind ladies and merciful sirs!)

I'm starting to feel old. At least I've been barely in my 'tweens' when I've stumbled upon this graveyard, and it feels like having been just yesterday

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 04:44 PM   #437
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Heren! Underhillo!

I fear nostalgia is setting in...
Old 09-22-2008, 05:02 PM   #438
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Happy Deathday Heren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerenIstarion View Post
I'm starting to feel old. At least I've been barely in my 'tweens' when I've stumbled upon this graveyard, and it feels like having been just yesterday
Now as you have a child those words are coming more and more true in the RL as well... I remember becoming a father "just yesterday" and now Lommy and Greenie are in the senior secondary high-school!

So beware!

And enjoy!

PS. We never got to talk much back in the days you were more actively around... but you showed me the way when I was posting my first posts as a total stranger to this kind of forums in the first place. I do remember that with gratitude.

Last edited by Nogrod; 09-22-2008 at 05:06 PM.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:10 PM   #439
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Heren

8 years. . .amazing, in 2 years time you must tell me how it feels to have been on this site for a decade.

It is good to see that you still manage to pop in every now and then, it makes the barrows more homely. . . anyways have a good day tomorrow.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:11 PM   #440
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

1420! Cheers

A happy Deathday to HerenIstarion and Rune! I hope you come back Heren and I hope Rune stays for many more years!