The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-15-2005, 11:57 AM   #1
Da Skorpion
Animated Skeleton

Da Skorpion has just left Hobbiton.
Lord of the Rings Battlegames

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone around here heard, or even played, the LOTR battlegames of Games Workshop?

I'm planning to make a Gondor army? Anyone else?
Da Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 01:51 PM   #2
Neurion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Standing amidst the slaughter I have wreaked upon the orcs
Neurion has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

I have some friends who collect the GW miniatures.

"And a cold voice rang forth from the blade.

Yea, I will drink thy blood, that I may forget the blood of Beleg my master, and of Brandir slain unjustly. I will slay thee swiftly."
Neurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 05:51 PM   #3
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye

Hi Skorpy,

here's a couple of links to old threads discussing this....

short one

long discussion/argument
Old 03-16-2005, 02:31 AM   #4
Da Skorpion
Animated Skeleton

Yeah, I have seen those, but they're over a year old. New members joined by then and I was wondering if anything had changed.

I myself like the idea, but I don't like to play with known hero's. A while ago, gw introduced a free suplement so you can create/grow your own party of hero's and wariors set in middle earth. I much more prefer that.

I also play warhammer 40k, and have an Imperial Guard Army and an Ork army.

I also co-own a forum as big as this one, if not bigger, about wargaming: http://www.dicetroll.com
Old 03-16-2005, 06:19 PM   #5
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye

Hi Skorpion,

thanks for the link, its an interesting website. I was wondering how you rate the various GW supplements that have come out for the original rules? I thought the rules were a nice skirmish set with some novel mechanisms and good heroic flavour, but I'm more interested in the mass battle aspect. Have you tried Warhammer Historical rules? They can be quite easily adapted to fantasy wargaming, as they are derived from the original Warhammer set.

I'm a very occasional member of a wargames club in my home town and drop in for a game once in a blue moon. Mostly it's historical but occasionally they do a fantasy game. I was most distressed last year to miss out on the Battle of the Pelennor Fields, one of my major gaming ambitions! Unfortunately I was away at the time but it was a most gigantic and impressive game by all accounts, with purpose-built city walls, some GW stuff such as the heroes and the Nazgul and a large number of historical figures and old RPG orcs dredged up from people's attics. Still at least my Haradrim (Saracens) and orcs (old Prince August mold-em-yourself jobs) got a run out on the table. I probably haven't used them since the first edition of the warhammer fantasy rules!

I have been thinking about renovating my old collection and have bought some GW plastic orcs (you always need more orcs), so I'll see how it goes.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:20 AM   #6
Da Skorpion
Animated Skeleton

Quote:
thanks for the link, its an interesting website
Thank you

Quote:
I was wondering how you rate the various GW supplements that have come out for the original rules?
Haha, sorry I only have just begun reading the RotK rulebook. The only real reason I bought it was to teach my 9yr old brother the game. He had a number of LotR minis and I thought it would be a nice game for him where you, other than 40k or whfb, don't require a whole lot of minis.

So, I can't really answer your question, I however do like the Battle Companies Rules where you can 'level' your wariors into unique hero's. This way you don't depend on the know characters of the books which gives you a bit more freedom imo.

Quote:
Have you tried Warhammer Historical rules? They can be quite easily adapted to fantasy wargaming, as they are derived from the original Warhammer set.
No, I've never played WarHammer Historical, nor WarHammer Fantasy Battlegames. I only have played WarHammer 40k and GorkaMorka so far.

Quote:
I was most distressed last year to miss out on the Battle of the Pelennor Fields, one of my major gaming ambitions!
Well, make sure you don't miss out on this summer campain! Its LotR, and where I got those Battle Companies Rules from. Linky linky

Quote:
you always need more orcs
Amen