Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2006, 10:22 PM   #561
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
Weeell...the Escape plan would be wonderfully ironic.

But I won't be able to get it up till the day after tomorrow or so.

So if you want a quicker time jump, we'd better go with the less Baroque course...otherwise I'd love to write my get-away.
Dueling Wizards Werewolf and RL are sabotaging any attempts to do anything else right now, so the new Day won't start until probably late Thursday night or Friday.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:35 AM   #562
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Hello everyone!

Even though my first Shire RPG (Outracing the Flames) is not over - it should have been over some two weeks ago, but seems now to go on indefinitively - Pio encouraged me to write to the Eorling Mead hall.

I have been reading the stuff and it looks very good indeed.

Before I'm writing a character in to the Inn, I would just have a few questions.

- Are you in need of a certain kind of character? F.ex. still needing some workers to help in the renovation or something? Something that this newest twist of the plot would call for? I'm open for all kind of characters. If you have nothing special in mind, I'll come up with something.

- I see you people write a lot of interaction between the characters, even dialogue, in your posts. What is the common practise here? One writes it and then posts it via PM to the other for approval or editing? The two PM and negotiate about the contents and write it to a dialogue by PMs / messenger? You deal the outlines here on the discussion thread and the other may ask for corrections as the post is in the actual thread?

I could try writing myself in during the weekend.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:54 AM   #563
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
Hello everyone!

Even though my first Shire RPG (Outracing the Flames) is not over - it should have been over some two weeks ago, but seems now to go on indefinitively - Pio encouraged me to write to the Eorling Mead hall.
Welcome, Nogrod!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggy
I have been reading the stuff and it looks very good indeed.
Thanks!

Quote:
- Are you in need of a certain kind of character? F.ex. still needing some workers to help in the renovation or something? Something that this newest twist of the plot would call for? I'm open for all kind of characters. If you have nothing special in mind, I'll come up with something.
I certainly would be interested in having more retainers or craftsmen for Eodwine to work with. If a craftsman, you need to decide if you want to be a visitor with an end date at which point you want to move on, or whether you're going to be in this for the long haul. If short term, be some kind of builder/carpenter. If long haul, then be something more like a guard or man at arms who can help with carpentry. Some of the ladies who post here have graciously chosen to represent male characters so that the gender balance is reasonably good. I'd like it if you would play a man, to keep that gender balance going well.

Quote:
- I see you people write a lot of interaction between the characters, even dialogue, in your posts. What is the common practise here? One writes it and then posts it via PM to the other for approval or editing? The two PM and negotiate about the contents and write it to a dialogue by PMs / messenger? You deal the outlines here on the discussion thread and the other may ask for corrections as the post is in the actual thread?
Basically, we exercise a lot of freedom here. You can plan on posting up, and using your good judgement as to what another character might say, always with the understanding that the primary writer of the character you write, may ask for an edit of some kind. That kind of request can be handled either through this discussion thread, or via PM, up to the requester.

Some of us, notably Feanor and I, have decided to do a PM-post, which is what I think you're talking about. It's just something you set up with another writer if you want to.

Hope that helps!

Quote:
I could try writing myself in during the weekend.
That would be great!
Old 05-11-2006, 09:18 AM   #564
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
Welcome, Nogrod!
-------------------
If long haul, then be something more like a guard or man at arms who can help with carpentry.
Thanks! I think I could stick around. So I'll go for that man-of-arms / carpenter-hand option.

Quote:
Basically, we exercise a lot of freedom here. You can plan on posting up, and using your good judgement as to what another character might say, always with the understanding that the primary writer of the character you write, may ask for an edit of some kind. That kind of request can be handled either through this discussion thread, or via PM, up to the requester.
I'm so happy to hear that!

Looking forwards to enter the game.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:31 AM   #565
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Elempi, when and how is the next day going to start, and who opens it? Is Lin going to be back? (Do you know, I always call her Lin because I can't remember her full name? Linduial? Anyway, I don't want to try.) Just wondering.

Welcome, Nogrod. Have fun.

-- Folwren
Old 05-11-2006, 10:49 AM   #566
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
~*~ A Round of Applause! ~*~

Just to let all know, three new writers have been added to the Rohan Gamers' List:

Thinlómien

Dunwen

Anguirel

For their excellent work in a recent Shire game.

~*~ Pio
Old 05-11-2006, 02:48 PM   #567
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Congrats to the new Rohanians!
(I'll try to follow you one day)

But some thoughts about my characters entry.

- I think my character has been attending the fair and seeks just a place to overnight to begin with. I think it would be too simple, if he would just come in and ask for work (and somehow just happening to be kind of a right person needed). I believe we can come up with something to make him stay for awhile. Maybe tomorrow, there would be some construction work requiring someone who knows how to handle carpenter's tools, maybe you would need an extra man at arms tomorrow for some reason, maybe something else...?

- It's probably the same from my character's point of view, whether you change the day before or after he arrives. In the first case he must have had somewhat a joyful night and have slept somewhere out there - and would be coming to the Mead Hall to get some breakfast (he might then be having some headache too ). In the second case he surely would be just searching for a place to overnight - and would come in after the fair is closed.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:15 AM   #568
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Hi all!

As you might see from pio's list, I'm now allowed to post in Rohan (if I dare to). I would like to get my character in quite soon.

I have thought about a dunlending (or is the correct word dunleding?) character. That could create interesting situations...

I would maybe a female character since I've actively played only men this far, but I can add another guy to my "collections" if that's necessary. My character would probably be a kind of outcast (from Dunland) who has lived in Rohan for at least one year, so she wouldn't be totally unfamiliar with the language and stuff like that.

I don't know yet, why'd she be in the inn, but I'm sure I can make something up.

I think anyway, that I need some advice/comments on dunlendings before starting. Since anglo-saxon names are used for rohirrim, I wonder what kind of names would the dunlendings have; how similar that should be to the rohirric names. Maybe ancient german names? Or do they sound too similar to anglo-saxon names?http://www.behindthename.com/nmc/ger-anci.php

The other thing I maybe should know about is the relationship of the dunlendings and the rohirrim. I imagine that in the Fourth Age they'd be in peace but still wary (or even hostile) towards each other and there's be no love between the peoples. Do you guys agree/disagree?

And I promise I won't start discussing with Nogrod in this inn..
Old 05-12-2006, 09:08 AM   #569
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
Elempi, when and how is the next day going to start, and who opens it?
I'll get a post up today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foly
Is Lin going to be back?
Yes.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:12 AM   #570
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
Congrats to the new Rohanians!
Seconded!

Quote:
- I think my character has been attending the fair and seeks just a place to overnight to begin with. I think it would be too simple, if he would just come in and ask for work (and somehow just happening to be kind of a right person needed). I believe we can come up with something to make him stay for awhile. Maybe tomorrow, there would be some construction work requiring someone who knows how to handle carpenter's tools, maybe you would need an extra man at arms tomorrow for some reason, maybe something else...?
I'd like you to hold off until this new Day begins, please. It's going to be 20 Days later than the last one: three whole weeks. It would be difficult to have your character show up one night, intending to be there for only one Night and then find himself there 20 Days later in the next post. That would mean a different bit of background than the horse fair, but I think it would be easier to come up with a plausible difference that way than the other. Okay?
Old 05-12-2006, 09:19 AM   #571
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien
As you might see from pio's list, I'm now allowed to post in Rohan (if I dare to). I would like to get my character in quite soon.
Welcome, Lommy.

Just a couple things.

Anguirel is already writing a Dunlending outcast. And there are a lot of other outcasts already on this thread. Please come up with an alternative, as that particular background choice is getting a little over-used. I could suggest a couple other ideas, and the other players would be more than happy to share ideas they may have, if you like, I'm sure.

A female character would be fine, but I'd really appreciate it if you could avoid a noblewoman or poverty stricken or runaway, as those two things are already in the Eorling mead hall twice each. I realize I'm asking you to be creative, but hey, that's what this is about, eh?

I suppose a Dunlending would still be okay, but not a runaway or outcast, or former one of these. You could take your lead from Anguirel, who has decided to go with a Celtic rootedness for Dunlendings, which I think is a very believable conjecture.

The Rohirrim are to the Dunlendings as conquerors and victorious invaders and controllers of recently lost land. So there is animosity on both sides towards each other, since the Rohirrim believe that they only invaded Dunland to rid themselves of those who had invaded them in the first place.

Quote:
And I promise I won't start discussing with Nogrod in this inn..
Hmmm.... some kind of background I don't know about, apparently. Care to enlighten?
Old 05-12-2006, 09:50 AM   #572
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thanks, LMP for information and welcome.

Apparently I should look around more carefully...

You told Nogrod that he could play a craftsman and I wouldn't mind taking the advice myself. A little bit individualistic female carpenter from a well-to-do craftsman family? No runaway, no outcast, no noblewoman nor poverty stricken. My character could be a Rohir or a Dunlending, either'd be fine with me.

As I'm not having great ideas, only good/acceptable ones, those willing to give me ideas are very welcome to do so.

One more question: how old are the people in the inn? I wouldn't mind bringing a new perspective to the inn by taking a person from a rare age group.

Quote:
Hmmm.... some kind of background I don't know about, apparently. Care to enlighten?
My and Nogrod's characters (both Beornings) met in the Green Dragon Inn and started discussing. Result: an overlong debate about hostilities between their families, started in early February is still going on and shows no signs of ending. The funniest of it all is that we don't know even ourselves what really has happened, we just make it up as our characters discuss/dispute. But we're not going to establish such an inside quarrel in this inn...
Old 05-12-2006, 09:55 AM   #573
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
We have a lot of the younger generation. Watching this is occasionally like watching Papa Eodwine take care of a bunch of fumbling kids. And welcome everybody new.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:17 PM   #574
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
One more question: how old are the people in the inn? I wouldn't mind bringing a new perspective to the inn by taking a person from a rare age group.
Please, everybody, supply ages. I'm not sure myself on all of them. Eodwine is 41 and Falco Boffin is 53. Garreth & Harreld the Smiths are 35.

Here's a post with
character descriptions which will need to be updated once you and Nogrod decide who you're writing.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:33 PM   #575
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
People have described Manawyth as a "youth", but I intended him to be in his mid-thirties, sort of thing, just about old enough to have fought at the Hornburg when very young and to have experienced all the reprisals since.

Bear in mind he probably doesn't know how old he is himself, precisely.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:35 PM   #576
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Okay, Anguirel, now what? Great post, by the way.

I could have Eodwine hold court on that 20th Day, hoping against hope that Manawyth somehow shows up. You decide whether he does or not. Could make Eorling life interesting for Manawyth and other Dunlendings in town..... Hmm......

I'll post some time today for the new Day.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:44 PM   #577
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I was thinking Manawyth could while away some time in Robin Hoodery and woodsmanship, spot of Eadric the Cild, Hereward the Wake, you know the drill, till some soldiers recapture him and drag him back for trial-on the twentieth day. Would that work?

He's currently headed out of town in a big way...
Old 05-12-2006, 02:56 PM   #578
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
I was thinking Manawyth could while away some time in Robin Hoodery and woodsmanship, spot of Eadric the Cild, Hereward the Wake, you know the drill, till some soldiers recapture him and drag him back for trial-on the twentieth day. Would that work?

He's currently headed out of town in a big way...
Okay, that'll work. Where is the trial going to be, then? At Meduseld, or at the Eorling Mead Hall?
Old 05-12-2006, 03:00 PM   #579
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The Eorling Mead Hall is hardly in any state to hold a trial at...at least it wasn't twenty days previously, and it's not like those twenty days have been easy or given a lot of time to fix it up.

I think I put Thornden's age at 25 on my character's description bio, but I'm not entirely positive. I'm running around like a chicken with my head cut off now, so I dont' have time to go check.

Elempi, I'm thinking about introducing my sister ... Thornden's sister into the game sometime this day. I'll do it after the trial, probably. Will that be alright?

-- Folwren
Old 05-12-2006, 03:10 PM   #580
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Leof is 16.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:40 PM   #581
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
The Eorling Mead Hall is hardly in any state to hold a trial at...at least it wasn't twenty days previously, and it's not like those twenty days have been easy or given a lot of time to fix it up.
I'm leaving it up to Thornden to see that the builders do a good job. Eodwine will be having words with him if there is still no basic hall with a roof by the end of 20 days!

Quote:
Elempi, I'm thinking about introducing my sister ... Thornden's sister into the game sometime this day. I'll do it after the trial, probably. Will that be alright?
That'd be fine.

Ain't no need for a Gob and Twiddle with all these characters to keep things busy... think I'll hold onto them for some later day and time....
Old 05-12-2006, 03:52 PM   #582
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
I'm leaving it up to Thornden to see that the builders do a good job. Eodwine will be having words with him if there is still no basic hall with a roof by the end of 20 days!
Oh. Well, that's kind of stiff, but I guess it'll have to make do.

-- Folwren
Old 05-12-2006, 03:58 PM   #583
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Answers and questions...

- In the OtF I played a retired rider of Rohan (a rider of Croacht - the biggest Rohanian city in Wold - so not one of the real Eored anyhow). So I wouldn't be so keen to make another 40-year-old warrior-guy in this, as I'll be a man of arms here too: two veteran soldiers in a row is quite unimaginative RPG'ing... But if the other people are too young for the game's purpose, I might come up with being in the middle twenties to early thirties. You just tell me the age, and I'll put up with it. 20 is ok., as is 35... (I'll come up with suitable background stories with these as is required) If needs be, I could also play a gammer, but then my character would be less a man of arms and more of a carpenter...

- I will settle easily to the +20 days schedule (game-time), do not worry about that. I'll just come up with some other explanation of him being there. But still I ask, whether you would think it better for my character to be summoned to the Mead Hall by some authority (Form's character already was that way, so maybe something different with mine?) or is he just coming by - and then staying because of the circumstances? I think coming up with the reason to stay for my character (with no intention of staying in the beginning) during the day would be nice gaming - as we would try to come up with it - and then someone hitting the right key...

- I happen to be Lommy's father... And really. If Lommy's character also is a carpenter...? Wooops!
Well, I think we can make it this time, not to stuck in these overlong discussions with ourselves. We just got jammed in the GD, as the storyline we were building up was just too complicated to unfold in the GD-purposes (I think it would be more Gondor-style of a plot, being opened in a year (RL) or something) Just to you others: do not let us loose in this game!
Old 05-12-2006, 04:20 PM   #584
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Saeryn is 18 (so obviously so is Degas).
Old 05-12-2006, 04:44 PM   #585
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Garstan is 35.
Garmund is 9.
Léođern a.k.a. Short 'n Squirmy is 5.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:55 PM   #586
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Um, I don't really know how old Kara is. She just sort of, turned up, without much of a history! I suppose she'd be around 18-20 ish, something like that anyway.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:43 PM   #587
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Náin is 53- so rather young for a Dwarf (probably about 25-30ish were he a Man), but old enough to have fought at Erebor, and to have accumulated a goodly amount of experience as a sculptor.

(Oh, and Elempi: you will need to add Náin as well when you add Nogrod and Thinlomien's characters to the list.)

Personally, I'd like to see another old man around the place. Marenil is pretty much alone in that respect. Another person or two in that age group would be nice.

But that's just me, and as Nogrod said, that about nixes him being a guardsman as well as a carpenter.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:42 PM   #588
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

This is new! Can an old friend just jump in, or do I need to wait until a new day starts?

You leave for a little while and they change everything on you!
Old 05-12-2006, 08:58 PM   #589
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orual
This is new! Can an old friend just jump in, or do I need to wait until a new day starts?

You leave for a little while and they change everything on you!
Wait until the new Day, which will start by midnight my time.

I just got to thinking: How about Lommy's and Nogrod's characters being wife and husband? That hasn't been done. Everybody who comes seems to not be hooked up. Might be fun having a married couple in the place. What do you think?

Orual, what do you have in mind for a character? Just curious.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:15 PM   #590
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
I'm still wrapping up finals over here, so I won't jump in right away. I'll just keep myself posted to when days begin and end.

Anyway, I was thinking about bringing my old character, Rie, back...but, when all is said and done with finals, I might think up a new character to make a fresh start. I'll check with you before I introduce anyone.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:23 AM   #591
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
I just got to thinking: How about Lommy's and Nogrod's characters being wife and husband? That hasn't been done. Everybody who comes seems to not be hooked up. Might be fun having a married couple in the place. What do you think?
That would be insane... But might even work. We just have to arrange it the way that they don't have to talk with each other too much, since I would really rather not have more than little discussion with Noggie in this inn.

Nogrod could play a traveling carpenter and I could play his wife, bored with his husband's work that takes them from one place to another. The couple wouldn't maybe have a loving marriage, but they'd get along with each other though they'd find each other extremely boring...? Well, I'd better hear Nogrod's opinion before visioning more.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:03 PM   #592
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Hee hee! Any brood to run around and play with Garstan's two?
Old 05-13-2006, 03:35 PM   #593
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Oh I would love it with more kids around! Degas loves children and Saeryn's fond of them also. Any kids would be spoiled by my twins.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:09 AM   #594
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

This is looking nice!

A pair bored of each others company & stressed by their hyperactive child! Just great stuff!

We'll deal this together (me & Lommy) and come forwards to the Mead Hall after you change the day. I guess the little brat could be our common npc-like of character (carry-along character or something).

EDIT: You seem to have changed the day already. Sorry. We'll be in there within a couple of days (RL).

Last edited by Nogrod; 05-14-2006 at 05:50 AM.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:28 PM   #595
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Taralphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Taralphiel
Just about my latest post - I hope all the details I've got for the current day are correct. Just poke me if they aren't.

Also, I hope I got Thornden's thoughts right, Foley . I'm being a tad impatient (chanelling Lys, I suppose! *giggles*) so I'm looking forward to him getting out and meeting people!

Tara
Old 05-14-2006, 08:41 PM   #596
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Tara, I may get back with you conserning your last post and the use of Thornden, but not tonight. I've got to go now. It's fine, so don't get worried. . .there just might be a few little things I'll ask for a change. But I'll PM you tomorrow concerning it.

-- Folwren
Old 05-15-2006, 07:18 PM   #597
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Sorry, RL has just gotten really busy crazy the last 3 days and it's all I can do to keep DWWW going. I'll try and get something up as soon as I can. Please feel free to post before I do.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:56 AM   #598
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Everyone, Tara and I've gone over her last post, so it's edited a bit, if you wanted to go back and read it. Just thought I'd say so.

-- Folwren
Old 05-17-2006, 09:49 AM   #599
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

My and Nogrod's basic idea is that we're a traveling family, his character is a carpenter and my character (who is half-Dunlending) could be used to doing maid work etc. Our characters are probably aged around 25-30, since their son is around 5-10 years old.

We (our characters) will arrive tomorrow at earliest and probably. Before next week anyway.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:37 PM   #600
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
We (our characters) will arrive tomorrow at earliest and probably. Before next week anyway.
...and will enter in to the middle of all the hassle of Eodwine's first court-day (while Eodwine's patron is busy writing kills to the WW)!