Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2005, 02:22 PM   #121
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Here's the bio for my character... I hope it isn't too sparse on the details! I'll put my first post up within the next few days.

Character Description Form:

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? ? YES - The Long Winter, The Hobbit's Gift, Holiday in the Sun (an exceedingly small cameo role), In the Shadow of the Star, Corsairs and Corsets, Breelanders All!, The Hills of Evendim, Farmer in the Dale, Sailing Away

2.) How many RPG?s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? 2

List them, please:

Shadow of the West (Rohan), and Friends of Nimrodel (Gondor)... both, I believe, are drawing to a close

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn ? YES

Nurumaiel's character

NAME: Erinlaer

AGE: an Elf age... say perhaps somewhere past one thousand

RACE: Elf of Eregion

WEAPONS: Erinlaer carries no weapon, and has never been trained to use a weapon, but no doubt she would be able to use one sufficiently if the need
arose.

APPEARANCE: Tall, slender, after the fashion of Elves. Long, dark, silky hair, again after the fashion of Elves. And, once more after the fashion of Elves, grey eyes and fair skin. She has a very light and graceful bearing, more than is usual for her people. She walks about in a way that is almost a dance, and seems constantly to have a sweet melody in her head that she must move with. The expression constantly on her face is very innocent and sweet, almost childish.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Erinlaer is not a dreamer in the strictest sense, but she does have a certain atmosphere of dreams about her. She views all the world in a rosy light, and she disbelieves the existence of evil, not as a willfull choice, but simply because the thought never occured to her. Her mother deplores her naiveness, and her father is delighted with her innocence.

She may constantly be found playing at her harp and humming. She seems to live in a world of light and song, which, though charming to new acquaintances, keeps her from what duties she might have, even the duty of being a joy and affectionate to her parents, though she loves them dearly.

Briefly, to some she is considered sweet, charming, and innocent, and to others she is considered absent-minded, excessively dreamy, and rather simple.

HISTORY: Erinlaer was born to a rather poetic father and a rather common-sense mother. Her father had been renowned for his skill at music and song, but though he was a good husband and father he had the capability of frustrating his wife with his inability at times to look gravely upon the hardness of life and set his hands to hard labour. Music and story was his delight, and he raised his daughter to have a great appreciation for it.

As she grew older her mother searched for and found one who would make a suitable husband for her... a fairly well-off, strong Elf who would appeal to her light-heartedness and innocence by his easy-coming laughter and nobility of heart and mind, but also one who would be a good provider for her by his lack of absent-mindedness. Heledharm himself fell deep in love with her, and she with him, and it was not long before they were wed.

It has not been many years now since their marriage, and they are quite content with their lives, she happy to wile away the hours playing upon her harp, and he more than content to overlook the occasional slips in the housekeeping for the sake of seeing the innocent joy shining in her eyes as she sings.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nurumaiel's post

Erinlaer touched a few strings on her harp and the beginning of a haunting tune drifted to her ears. Her eyes brightened keenly, and then softened and gazed absently off into the distance. She kicked her feet very gently back and forth, but aside from that she was motionless. In every respect she seemed to be entirely in another world, one that held nothing but the music she played.

A tall, smiling Elf entered the room and looked fondly at her. She did not even notice him, so he sat down to watch her. Very softly she began to hum, and then she sprang lightly to her feet and began to dance about the room in a very sweet, childlike way. It was not until she tripped on his foot that she became aware of his presence. Her face lit up and she laughed rather shamefacedly.

"I didn't see you, Heledharm," she said simply.

"I came to tell you that your mother intends to visit us," he said. "Your father, too, but this evening. He wants to hear you play and sing."

"And I wish the same of him," she said. "We shall have to play and sing together." She ran her fingers lightly over the well-crafted wood of her harp and smiled gently. "I still have much to learn from him," she said gravely. "He can decide what tune he would like to play and then play it. I can merely play according to what is in my heart and mind. I should learn to govern my music better."

"No, no!" cried Heledharm. "Play as you always have."

A radiant smile swept over her features. "Very well!" she said. "If you wish it."

He could not explain to her how much her music touched him. The quietness or the swell of her emotions translating easily into melody was, he felt, a rare gift, and he would not want her to unlearn it. The light, merry tunes as she skipped happily here and there... the tears that were spilled in music... and the times when she would sit by his side, playing a melody of peace and contentment, that turned to a sweet unswaying love when her eyes fixed on him. He would not have her unlearn that.

"When is mother coming?" she asked, setting her harp down upon the table. "I should be sure that everything is neat and well-ordered before she arrives." She bent down and inspected severely a little stain on the floor. "I fear very much that I've neglected the house these past few days," she said with a sigh. "I hope you have not been bothered much by it." She looked regretfully into his face, and then began to dance from the room. "Never mind!" she said. "In a few minutes everything will be set proper. Mother shan't find fault when she arrives."

And not too long after there was not much fault to be found, for she had danced hither and thither and, though she had gazed several times longingly at her harp, she had set her face grimly and dutifully cleaned house. And once again she was sitting atop the table, singing light and merry.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Nurumaiel; 07-13-2005 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:02 PM   #122
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I am happy to be under Encai since this is my first game and as I will have ti disappear off at some point it would likely be better that I was not the sole voice for a garrison.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:12 PM   #123
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Hey,

I should have my first post up this evening or tomorrow. Concerning the structure of Ost-in-Edhil: I can only find one diagram of the city's structure, but hope this is helpful maybe:

Ost-in-Edhil
Old 07-08-2005, 04:51 PM   #124
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sorry for not being around all day today...another trip to my grandmother's. But no excuses.

Aman - Thanks for the map! That's very helpful.

Pio - Absolutely wonderful post!

Nurumaiel - I love your character.

I sent Nuru a PM concerning her questions, but I'll also put this here.

I didn't have too much in particular in mind for the female roles except that it is possible that they (and their husbands, if they have them) could be among those who live outside the city and who would be arriving as refugees. Or, they could simply be city dwellers and be aiding in finding the refugees places to stay and such. Also, of course, it would probably arise that their husbands (again, if they have them) have been asked to take up some kind of military role.

Concerning that... At this point, I think that military action in Eregion will be consisting of small parties of troops that will be traveling to towns and settlements in the outlying lands surrounding Ost-in-Edhil, mainly finding survivors of orc attacks and possibly running into some raiding parties.

As Nuru said, "at our homes, or out taking a little stroll, or whatnot" works very well for the beginning, as I wanted to begin a little early (1695 rather than 1697) so that we can have a little time where the Elves aren't preparing for war or fighting in a battle, simply for some pleasant character development. The female roles give a very different perspective, a look at the more 'everyday life' of these Elves, particularly in a time where this race still reigned in Middle-earth with great cities and Kings. This is about to change, Eregion being the first to fall when facing Sauron's hatred of the Elves, furthering the race's diminishing from Middle-earth that began with the many Elves that went into the West neart the beginning of the Second Age. So, I think it is and important part of the story, to show that these Elves are a little different than the Elves seen in The Lord of the Rings simply because of the situation of their race at this point.

I hope that was more coherent than it seemed, and not as vague as it seems. Suggestions are welcome.
Sometime in the next few days I need everyone to check into the Planning Thread, to get a head count, as it seems a few people have gone MIA.

Those who I need to hear from either via PM or a post here are:

Gwydion
Sleepy Ranger
Esgallhugwen
Encaitare
Mithalwen (though we know she's been busy with werewolves )

If I do not hear from any of them, I will begin hunting down people to replace them.

Thanks!

-Durelin

Last edited by piosenniel; 07-08-2005 at 06:41 PM. Reason: missed the enter key!
Old 07-08-2005, 05:07 PM   #125
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
Nurumaiel, as for your second question, here are my opinions.

I always imagined elven homes in the cities to be like ancient Roman houses: organized around a central courtyard, with lots of plants, maybe a fountain, tiled roofs, etc.

As for food, Tolkien made some Elvish names for: meat, bread, juice, honey, fruit, flour, oranges, edible roots, and corn (probably not the maize of North America).
Older sources give Elvish names for: soup, plums and cherries, berries, and cheese. So elves of that time seemed to have a varied diet. I was articularly surprised by seeing oranges. I thought that would have been to exotic, but I suppose there might be some orange trees in Gondor, or that some were brought from Valinor to be cultivated in Middle-Earth when the Noldor rebelled.

Just my ideas.

P.S. I will get my first post done as soon as possible, tonight probably.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:17 PM   #126
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thank you, Alcarillo! That was some marvellously useful information.

Okay, here's yet another question for everyone: At what pace do we want to go (ignoring the time-leap we'll be doing)? Should each week be a day, or should we cover more ground than that?

If we do each week as a day (day/night), then near the end of our month and a half stay in 1695, the Lorien contigent, along with the dwarves, should arrive. But I don't think we want to wait that long for them to arrive in the city. So, we'll either have to speed things up through making days shorter or skipping days. Or...there are other options.

I really sound like the game owner who's supposed to know what she's doing right now...
Old 07-08-2005, 06:45 PM   #127
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

Durelin

I took Garien LiLorian off your previous list - he thought he might lose internet access, so I padded the Dwarf contingent with an extra body anyway.

In answer to your PM - I'll go in and edit Riv's name in your post to his father's as needed. Let me just go see . . .

~*~ Pio
Old 07-08-2005, 07:12 PM   #128
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

If it's alright with all - I'll put Aman's diagram for Ost-in-Edhil on with the other map link.

My thoughts on moving forward with the storyline ---

Let's not get too tied up with deadlines from the start. Can we see how the game flows along when we start it and then decide?

~*~ Pio
Old 07-08-2005, 09:01 PM   #129
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Okay, so all that is going on is...we're writing our first posts and then waiting on Durelin? We have until next Friday? I'm so sorry, but I'm being by two days. Today, we were gone all day and when we got back, we learned that my older brother had gotten into an accident so I was at the hospital this evening. *sigh* However that is, I'm behind, but I've done my best to catch up. I just want to make sure that I've got everything right.

Pio, in my first post, do I start or continue the conversation that Riv just sat down to after saying goodnight to his wife and son? Or, if the others have done their posts yet, go along with them? Or do I re-write what you wrote in my own perspective...I am doubting that's what I'm doing...

And we're going to be discussing what we know of the whole situation and talking about the mission, if you will, that we're about to set off on. Is all that right?

And......I can't think of anything else. I'm exhaustedly tired. Please say anything that should be obvious but might not be, or that is essential that I know.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:23 PM   #130
Garen LiLorian
Wight

Garen LiLorian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Garen LiLorian
Yes, well... looks like it's all been sorted out. Sorry I won't be able to join you guys, this game looks like really a lot of fun. But the only net access I'm going to have for a while is at the public library, so I just don't feel comfortable signing up for the time commitment of a new RP. Sorry again, and I'll keep reading with interest.
This is my quest, to follow that star; no matter how hopeless, no matter how far. To fight for the right, without question or pause. To be willing to march into Hell for a Heavenly cause! -Man of La Mancha
Old 07-08-2005, 10:59 PM   #131
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Tolkien

I've just gotten my first post in. Tell me what you guys think of it. I've also changed a detail in my bio, just to let Piosenniel know.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:47 AM   #132
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Alcarillo

Well done post!

Thanks for alerting me to the changes on your Bio - I've replaced the old one I'd transferred to the Discussion Thread.

Folwren

I hope your brother is feeling better!

Durelin won't be all that available this coming week - So I want to encourage players to get their Bios and Posts in by the 16th or 17th, so that when Durelin is back we can get the actual game going.

As to what you write -- that is up to you. If you feel like you want to, you can reflect on the scene I set with Riv and his wife and son. I left it open that your character was there playing his harp. You can pick up on that and run with it. Or you can just launch into a discussion of the expedition to pick up the Lorien elves. Let drop any gossip you've heard . . . just take the ball and run with it; let us see a little more of your character and how he feels and acts . . . that's what fun about RPG'ing.

Oh, and rest up . . .

~*~ Pio
Old 07-09-2005, 10:02 AM   #133
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril Nerisiel's first post

My first post for the game...

~*~

Amanaduial's post

Seated gracefully on the banks of the river, Ost-in-Edhil spread it’s elegant almost lotus-shaped leaves out over the River Glanduin. Bordered on one side by mountains and surrounded by rivers on all others – the Glanduin and smaller Siranon, glancing off the larger river, the tributaries of Nin-in-Eilph, and the majestic Mitheithel – it sat harmlessly in the South of Eregion. In the capital of the ‘holly region’, all was hustle and bustle as always: the year was drawing on yet above the heads of the elven inhabitants the holly leaves still swung gently in the winds, and the sound of the elvensmiths in their forges, always, always sang out among their evergreen leaves. From a birdseye view, little could the eagles that circled regally overhead have guessed what busy little bees had been working on inside those forges – and what evil their creations would bring from over the mountains of Mordor…

As Maegisil was rushing hastily down the stairs of Celebrimbor’s regal dwelling from his master’s rooms on his master’s errand, one of the Lord of Eregion’s other advisors was also working hard, but far away from the finery of Celebrimbor’s rooms, where her lordship played games of strategy. Hers was another type of work indeed: the work that Ost-in-Edhil’s Mirdain were famous for.

The clang of Nerisiel’s hammer rang out again and again on the anvil, the flat-ended instrument chiming out almost musically. The elf took careful aim each time before she clashed iron against steel, but the force with which she smashed down her tool seemed to convey anger more than anything else. Eventually, her pale face glinting in the firelight of the forge, the elvensmith set her hammer down, with a pair of tongs, lifted the object of her attentions from the anvil; and after close inspection, she nodded slightly, her delicate features satisfied, and took the item over to her workbench. Setting the article – a new sword blade – carefully down on the bench, Nerisiel seated herself beside it, her feet curling up around the chair leg in an almost lady like manner that was somewhat contradicted by the loose, dark workman’s trousers that they were clad in, overlaid with the shin-length leather apron common to working smiths. Not that any who came to see the Master Smith would have commented on it – or not out loud anyway. After all, in Ost-in-Edhil, female smiths were not entirely uncommon – but for one to reach her standard of craftsmanship: that was.

Humming softly to herself, the elf studied the blade she had made closely, holding it almost delicately in the tongs although it had now cooled sufficiently to be touched. It was a commissioned blade from one of her husband’s colleagues, a Captain in Eregion’s army, as a gift for his son, and would therefore be rather more ornamental before she had finished with it. After all, her own blade, which hung proudly over her forge as an example of her work, was testimony to the fact that simply because a weapon is a tool of violence, it cannot also be a thing of beauty – and having known the boy to whom the sword would be bestowed since be was a small child no more than about ten summers, she intended to make this article just such. Nothing less would do for Nerisiel, for she was after all a jewel smith above all else. A profession which had come back recently to haunt her… The elf pursed her lips grimly and turned back to the task in hand. Yes, the blade would have to take another heating before the engravings that she planned were carved on it, but not too much: she could begin them today, it was not too late in the day…

“Who is that for?”

The voice came from the entrance to the forge and was one so familiar to the smith that it did not make her jump but instead prompted a smile on her pretty features. She turned, smiling, to face the young elf who leant with his arms nonchalantly crossed against the door post of her workshop, the leaves of the holly that was trained around her doorway lightly brushing hair as dark as his own. Her finest work of art: her son.

“It is for a friend of yours actually, Artamir – Leneslath, Captain Rimborien’s son. A gift from his parents, a reward for his recent promotion?” Artamir nodded, coming slowly forward into the dim of the forge, the light glinting mischievously in his eyes, lighter than those of his mother, as he examined the blade from behind his mother’s shoulder. She turned to watch her son proudly: he would be fifty summers this year and had truly grown into a beautiful young man, a son who both she and her husband were proud of.

Artamir smiled at his mother, stepping back slightly, and then nodded towards the beginnings of a hilt that lay further down the bench. “For the same?” When his mother nodded, Artamir raised his eyebrows. “Silver? Will you be using rubies with it?”

She smiled and shook her head. Although he was bound to be a soldier, as his father was, she was glad that her son nonetheless did not dismiss his mother’s art and had come to appreciate her craft – even to the point of knowing some of her designs. “Emerald. His previous sword was made of the same, Rimborien informs me, and besides, they will suit his nature more: he is a far less fierce young man than yourself, Artamir!” she chided teasingly.

“And where did I get such a trait, I wonder, mother? Not from my father I think…” the younger elf grinned and raised a sardonic eyebrow at his mother. “Am I then to have rubies?”

Nerisiel kept a straight face as she replied, “What makes you think you shall receive such gems in your sword, my son? Why, I had intended simply a plain design for you – nay, in fact, your current training sword shall do just fine, I shall model my design on that!” she teased, referring to the sword that Artamir used for sword training, a plain, blockish instrument that the smith’s trained elf regarded critically as the bare essentials – that is, it had a blade, a hilt, and not much else. Her son’s eyes widened – he still had the innocence of youth enough to be surprised – then he put on a mock sad face. “As you wish, mother…”

Nerisiel laughed and embraced her son fondly before sending him on his way out of her workshop – he had come by on his way home from training with a few of his friends, and he proudly informed her that Rimborien’s son – a boy no few years older than himself – had complimented him on his style. Nerisiel smiled at the doorway that her son had just left. Style, they said? And style his gift would most certainly have, once his coming of age was reached next summer – as Sirithlonnior, his father, would certainly have been able to tell him, had Nerisiel not sworn him to secrecy, for a light came into her eyes whenever she spoke of the sword’s details. The blade she made as her son’s first sword would be one of her finest weaponry creations yet…

Her finest creations yet…

Nerisiel sighed heavily and rubbed her tired eyes with the back of one hand. The thought of those rings, those finest of all pieces ever created, and her part in their making had returned more and more often to her mind of late. Pushing away the sword blade she had been working on, the smith walked across her workshop and stepped out into the street outside to behold the view from the city walls. Although she had the privilege to work for and with Celebrimbor in the innermost forges, she had not wishes to give up her own workshop at the East side of the city, for the memories it had of her earliest days with her mentor, and for the view it held over the Sirannon and the mountains to the East. Maybe this siting was no longer such an advantage: every day, Nerisiel was reminded of the darkness that was growing in the East, over those mountains in Mordor…

Sighing, the elvensmith returned to her desk and, after a slight hesitation, she put aside the soft cloth that she had her hand on with a mind to wrapping it up. No: she had people to see but what use would it be to brood on the dark thoughts on her mind? After all, Leneslath’s blade would not get done itself… Picking up the tongs again and resuming her humming as she tried to lighten her heart, Nerisiel returned to her forge to heat the blade – the engraving would be next. As her humming continued, the elvensmith’s heart lifted as she turned once again to the business in hand – weaponry, rather than those three, beautiful pieces of jewellery…

Last edited by piosenniel; 07-09-2005 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:53 AM   #134
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

My post is also up...here

Fellow dwarf RPGer's I basically talked about what happened with Orin before and up to Riv's arrival. Poor, Orin, he's so lost....Folwren, or Arry, perhaps you can fill him in a bit?

Last edited by Boromir88; 07-09-2005 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:30 AM   #135
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Good post, Boro! I can tell Riv and his Uncle will have a fine time together whacking the filthy Orcs!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enjoyed reading your post, Aman - have moved it to the Discussion Thread.

~*~ Pio
Old 07-09-2005, 11:39 AM   #136
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

ENCAITARE

Please clear out your PM's.

~*~ Piosenniel, Game Moderator

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone

Here is a link to the Discussion Thread I'm setting up for the game.

I'm transferring Bios & Posts to it, so it is an easy, uncluttered way to check on someone's character or on First Posts.

Last edited by piosenniel; 07-09-2005 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:30 PM   #137
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Wonderful posts, everyone!

Quote:
Let's not get too tied up with deadlines from the start. Can we see how the game flows along when we start it and then decide?
That sounds like a good idea. Getting ahead of myself, in my anxiety...

Old 07-09-2005, 01:32 PM   #138
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

I've put Seth Cotton's name on the list for players.

S-C will hopefully be joining the game as an Elf of Lorien.

~*~ Pio

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alcarillo

Nice avvie (Star of Fëanor)!

Now I can sscroll to your posts by your avatar and not have to look at names. Lazy me!

~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 07-09-2005 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:46 PM   #139
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Okay, Pio, I just put up my first post.

Was going to say more, but, alas, I've got to be running.

-Folwren
Old 07-09-2005, 03:52 PM   #140
Seth Cotton
Pile O'Bones

Seth Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Bio

Okay, here goes, my Lorien elf for this RPG:

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – NO

2.) How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in?

None

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn – YES

Seth Cotton's character

NAME: Vaele Andarion

RACE: Elf of Lorien

WEAPONS : Vaele carries a fine, carved long bow which he is very accurate with. The bow as engraved runes and is of very good quality. It was a gift from his father and therefore means quite a lot to Vaele. He also has a short sword attached to his leather belt which he uses at times for more close combat.

APPEARANCE: A lithe and elegant elf and has blonde shoulderlong hair with thin plaits on the sides that stretches all the way down to his shoulders as well. His clothing that he bears seems rather simple, but it offers more protection than it seems to. He wears a woven shirt with wristpads, shoulderpads and a thin armourplate on the stomach. Due to his need of staying flexible at all times, his armour must not weight him down. He has a dark green woven robe that gives him a splendid camouflage in trees, and in forest terrain in general actually. The rest of his outfit is pretty standard, elven light boots and typical pants with no remarkable protection, as he after all is a marksman.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: A quite laid back and calm elf, even in the most pressured and hasty situations, he somehow remains cool when many others panic. He often says that his brain is more powerful than his bow when it comes to fighting in a war, and at times it seems hat he is right. He takes advantage of the situations, the terrain and things around him to do what he has to do. Either it is about defeating a foe or bypass obstacles in his way.

He has a lot of honour and pride, and he is definitely not an elf to insult. Because insults is something he doesn't take lightly. This pride is nothing that really shows on the calm surface of his, but it is noticeable when talks, always adressing people with respect which is a way for him to show that he is honourable, acts or is being insulted. At verbal confrontations he is very quick to reply to comments about him, still with a calm intention, but his way of keeping his pride on top is obvious.

HISTORY: Vaele lived peacefully in Lorien, being trained as a marksman with a clear talent for accuracy and speed with the bow. He has become more and more skillful over the years of training in the forest, practicing his silent movement and sharp hearing which appeared to prove useful to him later in his life. He longed to prove himself worthy after all the training he had went through, and one day his chance came. To aid Eregion at all means.

Seth Cotton's post

(Gee, I hope this will do... This is the first time I am doing this so... Well, tell me if I am doing anything wrong. Hehe.)

Last edited by piosenniel; 07-09-2005 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:52 PM   #141
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

That is exactly what I said, Master Cotton...this is also my first RPG.

Your bio looked good, though.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And I remembered I what I was meaning to say last time I posted.

I did a little talking for a couple other characters in my first post. Not very much and nothing to shape their character, I don't think, which is against the rules, I know, and I hope that it's alright. If it is not, then let me know and I'll change or take it out, or replace it with what the RPer would like. (I think I spoke for Skald and Orin - one line each...)

I hope that's alright. I'm guessing I won't be excommunicated or anything for it. Just let me know.

-Folwren
Old 07-09-2005, 05:10 PM   #142
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Folwren, it's ok by me. The way I've understood it is it's ok to have a conversation it makes it easier to figure out what you're going to post. Just refrain from making remarks about other players characters unless if it's oked by the player in PM or on the Discussion thread.

Looks like a great post, Folwren, I look forward to get started.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:23 PM   #143
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Well, here are my thoughts concerning the Orcs... Kath, please chip in, and I hope Encai returns.

I think it might be easier if all three of us wrote individual first posts. I will probably be starting some kind of post tomorrow. I think it would also be best if Grimkul/Ulwakh and Olburz were under Glutkask's command - I will start writing as such, but make it an easy change if we end up deciding otherwise.

I've also been giving some thought to what Sauron's forces might be doing at the start of the RPG. After some research in both the Appendices and UT, I've concluded that about the most precise information we have is "Sauron invades Eriador." So in order to tie in while still doing 'our own thing,' I was thinking maybe we could stage a raid on some village somewhere in the vicinity of Eregion - since there are refugees coming into Ost-in-Edhil, they have to come from somewhere.

Thoughts?
Old 07-09-2005, 08:24 PM   #144
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Good bio, Seth! & Welcome to the game.

--------------

Folwren

Nice post!

I can't speak for Arry, but for my character, try to leave any conversations open for Riv to respond himself. Using what Riv's already said is certainly fine - but give me the chance to respond to anything your character says.

What Boro said is true - you can pre-arrange with another writer to carry his/her character in a scene or conversation. Otherwise, do it very minimally.

Just try to think of it as playing a game as a single character and not as writing a story where in some scenes you might handle several of the storyline characters.

~*~ Pio
Old 07-09-2005, 10:15 PM   #145
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Esgallhugwen has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

*Cough cough weeeeeeze*

Hi, *cough cough*, I'm incredibly sorry for being so stupidly sick, end my misery now *gah*. When it hits me it really hits me.

But I'm here now and sorry for the delay.

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – Yes Which ones? The Hills of Evendim, Breelander's All!, Search for Rhûn, W,W &WT. I think that's all of them.

None

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn – YES

Esgallhugwen's Character

NAME: Fëaglin Lómë

RACE: Elf of Eregion

WEAPONS : A long sword, light yew longbow, elvish rope.

APPEARANCE: Usually has a stern contemplative look on his face. Which only adds more severity to his clear grey eyes that some say give off an odd glint of light. His long blonde hair is plaited along the sides in intricate if not eccentric braids to keep it out of his face. He is well built but thin and lithe enough to pass by unnoticed. His garb usually consists of the colours crimson and black (very eccentric indeed) of course he does wear a customary leather apron when doing his silver smith work.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Fëaglin has a cool and collected head on his shoudlers. He is a reliable and loyal friend with a cunning mind and a keen skill in silver craft. He hopes to someday be true to kind and noble deeds. But for all his good qualities he can be a bit of a loudmouth on rare occasions when he over indulges in the finer vineyards of wine housed in the cellar.

HISTORY: Having lived in Eregion for quite some time Fëaglin was accustomed to the peacefulness that came with it. He often spends his time deep in thought about his next venture in silver smithing, whether rings or ring mail he considers the designs with a tacticians grace. He has a sharp eye and deft fingers to detail and throughout his career has never missed an oppportunity to show his skill with a master's flourish. His father was somewhat of a military man and showed his young son the art of sword and bow in case they would be needed some day. His mother was a kind hearted soul always willing to give to others and often spent her time in the garden tending to flowers and singing with the birds.

Esgallhgwen's post

Hope it's alright.

Last edited by Esgallhugwen; 07-09-2005 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:43 AM   #146
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
Good posts, fellow Dwarves!

My post is up - here. Skald has cut Riv off from answering Bror's question and spilled the results of some sleuthing he's done. He's not particularly happy at what he's learned.

The stakes for the Dwarves have gone up. Sauron is named.

I figured that while we might be a little out of the loop as far as knowing what exactly the bad guys are after; we should at least know who is the one sending the Orcs against the Eregion Elves and their allies.

Last edited by Arry; 07-10-2005 at 03:57 AM.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:19 AM   #147
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Quote:
I was thinking maybe we could stage a raid on some village somewhere in the vicinity of Eregion
This sounds like a good idea Firefoot, it should put us in an equal timeline with the others then. I had thought it would be a good idea also for us to be under Encai's command since her character is 'higher' than ours are.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:25 AM   #148
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Good post, Arry. Wonderfully enlightening.

Alright, Pio, I'll keep what you said in mind for future posts.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:33 PM   #149
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Echoing Folwren - good post, Arry! Looking forward to playing this scene out in light of Skald's revelation.

----------

Folwren

I'm from the old style RPG'ing (actually many groups still play this way) - where you actually dress up and play the game in person over a series of months. That's why I prefer having total control over my characters and letting others control their reactions to mine. Makes the game fun and exciting when someone reacts in character and throws a sort of monkey wrench into the action.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:45 PM   #150
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
A bio of an elf-brat ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – YES/Fall of the North

List them, please: One -Fall of the North

Please note you may play in only 2 (TWO) Shire games at one time. Exceptions to this may be made for this on a case by case basis by the Shire Moderators. (The Green Dragon Inn DOES NOT count as a game for this.)

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn – YES/ Probably too much
For your character please include:

Mithalwen's character

NAME: Losrian Lindiel

AGE: Born 1645 SA So 50 (borderline adult in elf years) at the start of the action

RACE: Elf (Noldorin/Telerin)

WEAPONS : Good sharp knife, long bow (will acquire sword later)

APPEARANCE: Has reached what is likely to be full height of 6 Feet. Although of mainly Noldorin blood she has inherited the silver hair of her Telerin grandmother. She has the pale complexon and grey eyes of her people. As a craftsperson she cares deeply for the appearance of the things that she makes but has not yet developed any interest in her own appearance. She wears the clothes that are most practical for what she is doing and her long hair is usually pulled back into a loose and untidy plait. Generally looks quite scruffy especially by elvish standards.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Seems quite "difficult" stubborn and awkward but this masks a little suspected shyness and lack of confidence. Very determined and will usually find a way to acheive her ends. Very loyal and will usually do theght thing even if she grumbles about it. Basically a very young elf who has some growing up to do.

HISTORY:

Born in Lindon in to an unremarkable family she is the daughter of a carpenter / woodcarver and a musician. she is descended from refugees from Gondolin and Sirion. All though she has a fine singing voice (hence her "mother name" of Lindiel) her shyness has given her a horror of performing and to her mother's great disappointment she was determined to become a smith. Her reply to her mother's protests that women did not become smiths was that one of the greatest smiths in Eregion was a woman. As soon as Losrian had heard of Nerisiel it had been her ambition to be apprenticed to her and finally her parents relented. Her elder brother was already at Ost in Edhil, working as a carpenter like their father and while they grieved that both their children woujld be far away, at least the elder could keep an eye on the younger. In 1690, Losrian arrived in Eregion and had been delighted when she was accepted as an apprentice. Losrian is devoted to Nerisiel to the point almost of worship,and has shown a side of her personality that would surprise her family. In the forge and design rooms she is diligent, hardworking and eager to learn as much as possible as soon as possible. At home she resents the domestic duties that keep her from her craft.

Mithalwen's post

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by piosenniel; 07-10-2005 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:22 PM   #151
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Question: My character is a blacksmith, i.e. an iron-wright, so should he be called from now on an angdan? And Esgallhugwen's character is a silver-smith. Should he be called a celebdan? Or should we continue using the English names for these professions?
Old 07-10-2005, 07:40 PM   #152
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
My apologies...

Quote:
Hm... according to the Member's List, Encai hasn't logged on for two weeks (25th of June), nor did she ever say anything about an absense in her recent posts. Might anyone know how to contact her...?
Sorry, everyone, for not explaining my absence properly. I was at band camp (no jokes, please ) for two weeks, and just got home today. I told Durelin I'd be gone for this duration, but I suppose she never mentioned it. Didn't mean to get everyone confused -- nor to agitate Pio! I'll make sure my PM box has plenty of room in it from now on.

Alright, so shall Kath and Firefoot's characters be under Glutkask's command? I agree that seems to be the best way for us to interact. What do you say we start off in Mordor, going about our orkish business, as was suggested? We can have a little bit of backstory explaining relationships, opinions, and such. Later, we can move out. For a bit of pre-sacking action, might we obliterate a village or two?

I'll get to work on my first post and hopefully will have it up soon.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:56 PM   #153
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Nice to see you back, Encai.
Quote:
What do you say we start off in Mordor, going about our orkish business, as was suggested? We can have a little bit of backstory explaining relationships, opinions, and such.
The only issue I'd be able to see with this is that we would be on a different time schedule than the others, since the journey between Mordor and Eriador would probably have to be skimmed over. This could get confusing, unless there was a similar time jump amongst the other groups. At least, I'm assuming that we're going to try and coordinate time? That is, a day in Eregion will occupy the same time as a day in Lindon, etc.?

A possible alternative for Orcs could be we start out in an army camp, probably somewhere in southern Eriador, say Enedwaith or Minhiriath.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:53 PM   #154
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Okay, Piosennial, I'll do my best - letting others control their own characters. If I need someone to say something in order for me to continue a post, is it possible that I PM them? And I did alright with my first post, right? (That's how all this explaning started, me asking if I did alright...)

------------------------------------------------------------------

I like your character a lot, Mithalwen.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:36 PM   #155
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
A possible alternative for Orcs could be we start out in an army camp, probably somewhere in southern Eriador, say Enedwaith or Minhiriath.
Works for me. How about Enedwaith, since it's further east, and the orcs would have been travelling from the east?

Question: on what side of the river is Ost-in-Edhil located? There's no compass on the map of the city given in post #123, but assuming that north is up, I guess it's on the northern bank? With a little bridge-thing to the northwest? I sense a battle plan forming.

Also, I am a little confused on the timing of the game. Here in the Discussion thread, it says that we will be skipping or skimming over a period of a little more than a year. Invasion will begin late in 1695, and Eregion will be destroyed by early 1697. The game will begin with the prologue, covering up until 1692. Then, we'll start up in 1695.

It seems to me like a pretty broad span of time to cover. Durelin suggested two possibilities: skipping every other month and getting to the climax of the story that way (a "journal" style, as she called it), or skipping right to 1697 at the proper time. I think the second way is better, personally. It will let us set the stage and get in enough backstory at the beginning. We won't have to have "fillers" in the middle to take up all that time. Then we can get straight to the battle and climax.

What do you all think? The reason I'm wondering about all this is because I'm not sure where my character ought to be when I submit a first post, or even if a first post is necessary just yet.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:53 PM   #156
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encaitare
Question: on what side of the river is Ost-in-Edhil located? There's no compass on the map of the city given in post #123, but assuming that north is up, I guess it's on the northern bank? With a little bridge-thing to the northwest? I sense a battle plan forming.
The map is not oriented with north on top (I think), because the city is shown between the Rivers Sirannon (the smaller one to the left, with that bridge) and Glanduin (the big river to the right); on Piosenniel's (maybe I should call her Pio, like everyone else) map of Eregion, the Sirannon flows slightly south and the Glanduin slightly north, and their confluence makes an arrow pointing west. So west would be downwards, I think, east is upwards, north is to the left (Sirannon was the more northern of the rivers), and south is to the right. (Glanduin was the south river.)

Sorry if I overused commas and parentheses, there.

Last edited by Alcarillo; 07-10-2005 at 09:56 PM.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:55 AM   #157
Seth Cotton
Pile O'Bones

Seth Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Gone for a while, but do not fear...

... It won't affect my activity here! I am going to Paris for the next 10 days now, and I am really sorry for telling you guys this so late. I will still be going to Internet Cafés every time I get the opportunity to do so, so I will still be around.

I hope you aint to annoyed by this, it still may be so that I will not be as active as when I am home since I can't always go to the internet cafés while I'm in Paris.

I hope you'd understand.

-Seth
Forth Eorlingas!
Old 07-11-2005, 10:24 AM   #158
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encaitare
I told Durelin I'd be gone for this duration, but I suppose she never mentioned it.
Oh I'm so sorry! I remember now, though of course I completely forgot before. I even saved the PM in which you told me of your absence, but...well, little good that did. I'm very sorry. And, about the jokes...I went to band camp too, just a couple years ago.

And, I'm very sorry for the confusion. First of all, a first post isn't needed from the *baddies*. Second,
Quote:
I think the second way is better, personally. It will let us set the stage and get in enough backstory at the beginning. We won't have to have "fillers" in the middle to take up all that time. Then we can get straight to the battle and climax.
This is what most people have agreed on...and I prefer it too.

And, as Pio said, we'll have to see how the game moves along to get any more specific with the passage of time in the game.

Seth - No problem. And, a very lovely bio.

Mithalwen - Also a lovely bio. Shall be an interesting character.

Esgallhugwen - Wonderful bio. I hope you feel better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot
At least, I'm assuming that we're going to try and coordinate time? That is, a day in Eregion will occupy the same time as a day in Lindon, etc.?
It would be nice if we could coordinate time. Of course, there's no good in being a stickler about this, but be basically on time with each other is a good idea.

And thanks for clearing directional stuff up, Alcarillo.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:01 AM   #159
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
I'm a little unclear when (what year) you expect Elrond and troops to show up in Ost-in-Edhil.

Is it this year that we're starting the game?

Either way, I don't see the feasibility of trying to match the timeflow in Lindon to that in Eregion. Most of the Lindon Elves time will now be spent getting from Lindon to Eregion - that can be accomplished in a few 'traveling-along' posts. So it seems to me, the Lindon Elves' time will be a little nebulous until we actually reach the Elven-smiths.

- E -
Old 07-11-2005, 11:05 AM   #160
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
Folwren

Your post was fine with me.