Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2004, 12:50 PM   #481
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
1420!

Great posts, everyone! Aylwen, nice touch on Bella's dream! Must weave that into the Tapestry somehow...
Old 08-28-2004, 09:39 AM   #482
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien Minor revision needed...

Orual, there's a minor problem in your last post: Gond was sent toward Ravion and they should have met half way. Gond can't be used as a pillow for Erundil. He should instead be under Ravion's care as he comes back.

Other than that, what an amazing post! I'm gettin' all teary eyed. *sniff*
Old 08-28-2004, 10:26 AM   #483
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Thanks, lmp! I completely misread it. I'm going back to edit right now.

I'm glad you liked it, though!
Old 09-01-2004, 06:58 AM   #484
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Good news!

This morning alak pm'ed me-- she is settling into a new place and her internet connection is up and working! Hallelujah! I'm sure RL is still keeping her busy as she settles in, but she promises to post before too long.

lmp is also busy-- he can use prayer as FWW is taking up a good deal of his time.

Some game thoughts:

Mellondu, aka Fingon, has resurfaced in Amroth. Amroth is not in complete despair, but he is quite discouraged and has retreated to consider his options. Amroth sensed (or will sense) Mellonin's dreams slipping through as he was searching desperately for the withdrawn thoughts of Nimrodel. He dismissed her as unimportant; but Mellondu recognized her, and concern for her was part of what caused him to assert himself.

Mellonin does not know any of this (I think.)

I would think Erebemlin and Taitheneb should be feeling pretty insecure about their king having withdrawn. They might interrogate Mellondu, or they might just go digging for their king... alak, what do you think? How would they react to this?

I do think they will keep up with the detective work. Tharonwe is guarding against Amroth; is he guarding against Mellondu? (since he's sharing a body with Amroth, Mellondu is catching the message-traffic so to speak.) Is Tharonwe guarding against Erebemlin and Taitheneb? What about Nethwador? Any one of them could sense additional interference from Tharonwe, thus clue-ing the Rohan fellowship to go Swamp-Elf-Hunting.

Speaking Of Swamps and hunts:

We need to come up with some sort of explaination for the Swamp Watcher in the Water. He seems to be Tharonwe's pet. Remember that Nimrodel, Amroth, and Tharonwe were around 1000 years ago when the dwarves aroused Durin's Bane in Moria, and that was what caused Nimrodel to flee. How would Tharonwe have connected with The Watcher In The Water's spawn?

I can think of a few options: One, he traversed to the West Gate of Moria (Over or Under the mountains) and spoke/osanwe'd with THe Watcher, and negotiated to take an egg or a baby-watcher eastward. The Watcher seems pretty reptilian and probably wouldn't care much.

Or-- the Watcher came from the northern mountains, beyond Mirkwood, where the Dragons are etc, and is a leftover from Morgoth.

Meanwhile:

Ędegard and Argeleafa are seeing a different type of stars this morning? More like the cartoon-style, after having been slugged...
(0_0)
(x_x)
Old 09-01-2004, 08:33 AM   #485
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

post 413, 422, 423, 424, 425, 426, 427: night of Dec 22

428, 429: late night Dec 22/ morning of Dec23
430, 431: Wee hours of Dec 23
433: morning of Dec 23.
441: Morning of Dec 23: Ravion rejoins Raefindan's troop

435-440 (Rohan): Dec 25-- Amroth is rejected by Nimrodel; Ędegard falls from Argeleafa's grace; Nethwador struggles for Bella's attention

445: MY GOODNESS!!! Boneheaded me-- I didn't realize that lmp had taken Raefindan's troop through TWO nights and days. Raefindan's trooop is now at Dec 25!

**FANFARE**

We are now synched up!! Astounding! lmp, you rule!!!

This works very well. We can work through this day-- Dec 25 (Merry Christmas, everybody) with plenty of elvish & Rohirric angst, and a happy reunion between Aeron and Gwyll. Tonight game-time, someone in the Rohan troop can osanwe-spy Tharonwe. Tomorrow, Dec 26, at Dawn the Rohan troop thunders southeastward.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:06 AM   #486
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Goodness, does that mean we're growing closer to where the Rohan and Gondor groups meet up? That'll be... fun... the Rohan group is having some trouble all ready and I've been sitting for hours on end each day wondering what Liornung is going to think of Aeron. Maybe... they'll like each other?

I'm going to run over and do a post for Argeleafa, and she's going to Ędegard's presence in tears and go to Liornung and Bella.... So, Aylwen, if Bella wants to say anything about this, you can go right ahead. It seems that both of the lassies are having some difficulties with love... And Liornung is going to be stuck sitting between them.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:54 PM   #487
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Just to let y'all know I've fill in my save.

Old 09-01-2004, 05:58 PM   #488
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Post for Bellyn will be up directly!

And I do love your new avvy, Nuru!

-Aylwen
Old 09-01-2004, 08:42 PM   #489
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien

I'm very sorry, Imladris, but I forgot to mention about Gwyllion - had intended to and all, but distractions have been blocking my mental energies from this board. Anyway - I mean for Gwyllion to remain asleep - comatose in effect - for quite a while yet. Would it be asking too much to ask you to save that little exchange for a few days later when I'd like to have her wake up?

As for the lurker in the swamp waters, I prefer the Morgoth idea - - - always been there, it's just that swamps don't get passed through much, and anyone that does and gets eaten, goes missing, and people don't know why and don't go searching in the swamp because where are you going to start looking, you know?

I figure Tharonwe has had plenty of alone time to hone whatever skills he has chosen. He has had plenty of practice with osanwe considering Nimrodel. Also, being a loner and liking to keep it that way, and vigilant, he has been constantly on the lookout (or whatever you call it in osanwe terms), so he should be able to handle anything that comes his way. I want to keep his abilities unfolding as the story develops. We just don't know what all he's capable of yet.

I have not yet seen Ędegard slugged. Did I miss something?
Old 09-01-2004, 09:09 PM   #490
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

lmp, I think Nethwador was on the point of doing something to Ędegard, whether it was slugging or no, but Bella jumped up and is trying to calm him down. Now it's up to Helen to decide whether Nethwador is calmed or whether the slugging commences.

Now to wait in suspense for her post.

By the way, Aylwen, I love my new avvy too.

And lovely post for Bella!

...I think conflict is so beautiful!
Old 09-01-2004, 09:24 PM   #491
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Edited, LMP! Satisfactiory I hope?

Old 09-02-2004, 06:46 AM   #492
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Somebody slugged somebody. Bella didn't see who threw the first punch, and she's a little too close to the action despite Nethwador's attempt to push her back towards Liornung.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:56 AM   #493
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Aylwen, would you like to do a post for Bella with her reactions to the fight before I do one? Liornung seems to be the only man left to intervene (save the Elves, but they're not Men ), and if I post for Argeleafa he's going to have to do something. So, steal this opportunity away.

And lmp...? If you want to do anything before Liornung jumps in?

I can't say he'll be successful in trying to stop the fight, but all the same...
Old 09-02-2004, 01:29 PM   #494
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I'll have a look around then post; in which I'll show that Ędegard doesn't know how to fight, but has the strength one would expect of a hardened wheelwright. (darn now I'll have to do some research on wheelwrights).
Old 09-02-2004, 05:35 PM   #495
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Aylwen, would you like to do a post for Bella with her reactions to the fight before I do one?
Oops! Sorry I wasn't home in time to put up a post. Back to school again. That's fine that you did though, no complaints here. I'll get another post up tonight.

-Aylwen
Old 09-02-2004, 06:11 PM   #496
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Tolkien Regarding anachronism

I have been trying very hard to present Ędegard as a true Rohirrim with Rohirric sensibilities. The Rohirrim were modeled after the Anglo-Saxons from the middle ages, before 1066 (the date of the Norman Conquest). Honor and blood loyalty were core beliefs.

Now, we moderns think like moderns. No duh, eh? And therefore it comes as no surprise that Leafa and Liornung, especially, but also Bellyn, think like moderns instead of like Rohirrim and Gondorians of Middle Earth.

This is why I'm having Ędegard speak in the way he is to Leafa, who, for all her Rohirric looks and name, sounds to Ędegard nothing like what he would expect a Rohirric girl to sound like. To his mind, he half wonders if Leafa has been too much under the influence of the Easterlings, but he has to reject that notion, because it does not account for why Liornung and Bellyn think the same way. There is no such thing as a new fad or style in Gondor and Rohan - so he can't fathom that something has perhaps come down from the courts. The only conclusion that he might draw is that this new way of thinking comes from the Elves by way of the King in Minas Tirith, who had much to do with Elves.

Okay, yeah, I've had a lot of education to help me along, compared to some of you who aren't out of high school yet - and might I add that you're all doing quite admirably for all that and it ain't your fault that you don't have so many years under your - um - belt *ahem* (not to mention a few extra pounds) - but I'd like to encourage us toward one additional thing:

Immerse yourselves not only in your own characters and all the connections between characters, but into the culture of the time and place your characters inhabit.

It means forcing yourself to think in other ways than you're used to. And that's a really powerful tool for writing! Oh, and keep having fun with it, eh?
Old 09-02-2004, 08:43 PM   #497
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

In the morning (my time) or in a few minutes (game time), once an elf comes by to translate for them, Nethwador will be able to clarify that part of his anger was due to Ędegard's rejection of him-- but the other half of the anger was, that Ędegard made the quiet, gentle Wayfarer-girl cry.

Loyalty to the Wayfarers! Bad Ędegard!

And if he ever makes Bella cry, Nethwador just might bite him.

See y'all in the morning.,.. zzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 09-02-2004, 09:15 PM   #498
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Elves...that would be me. I truly apologize for my unexpected disappearance. What I anticipated to be a smooth move to a new city (internet access included) wasn't as quick as I thought, so I've been access-less for some time. Please forgive me.

I am still catching up on reading (fantastic writing that always has me on the edge of my seat!). I will get a post up as soon as I can. My fingers are itching to write, so I hope it's very soon.
Old 09-04-2004, 02:05 PM   #499
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

out of town

Helo Tapestry Team,

My mom is in the hospital after a surgery. It was successful, she is recovering (slowly). I am going up to help out for the rest of the weekend. Please popst like blazes as the Spirit mmoves you...

Please pray for my mom's swift & complete recovery, and please, continue to pray for lmp.

Love to all, and see you Tuesday or so! God bless.

--Helen
Old 09-05-2004, 10:50 AM   #500
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

lmp,
I'm a little confused. Are you trying to explain your reasons for presenting Ędegard in a way that might make him appear 'cruel,' or am I do something wrong with my characters?

The way Ędegard is acting about the whole thing makes perfect sense; the way Liornung and Leafa are acting is a little confusing, and I had to think for awhile to figure out how they would act. Neither of my characters are as truly Rohirric as Ędegard, and for reasons, as well.

Leafa was raised by a father who was not very much 'into,' as you might say, his culture, and by a mother who was too meek to speak up against his ideas. Leafa met many kinds of different people and saw them all treated just as a Rohirric, and she was a Wayfarer for a little while. This combined with her naturally rather timid and gentle nature, she can't understand the concept of 'blood-guilt.'

Liornung was raised in a stricter Rohirric sense, but without lengthy explanation I can just say that working as a travelling bard in many different lands, he lost some aspects of the Rohirric nature as far as 'outsiders' are concerned. He can understand the concept of 'blood-guilt,' but he doesn't agree with it (anymore; 'twould be interesting to write of Liornung's earlier life before he took to the road).

There, my little clarification.
Old 09-05-2004, 03:55 PM   #501
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Tolkien answers to Nurumaiel

You're not doing anything wrong at all, Nuru. Sorry to lead you to think so - didn't mean to do that. Or maybe I did, but stand corrected. Yeah, that's probably more like it. You're right. Leafa, having been a wayfarer, would have had a non-Rohirric experience, which would lead her not to think the way Ędegard would; and Liornung, a traveler, would have adjusted his way of thinking to account for all the differences he has seen in his travels. The same kind of thing happened to the crusaders in the Middle Ages. They left Europe to fight the infidel..... they came back changed by their experiences, with a broader perspective. So yes.

On....the....other hand, there is still my point about modernistic ways of thought, in which in terms of the individual is automatically the way we think. It's not that people from the middle ages didn't realize they were individuals, but saw themselves as part of a whole; so much so that to be cut off from family and community was like being condemned to death. These days it just as often means "freedom". I hope that makes more sense.
Old 09-05-2004, 08:51 PM   #502
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

lmp,
I was just talking about that with my mother today. Family loyalty, cultural loyalty, etc... something to keep in mind when writing any kind of story... in certain situations, such as the current one, it brings up conflict. Thanks for bringing this up, and I'll bear it in mind (especially in a current work, which has been struggling to find suitable conflict). I won't go too much farther for fear of straying off the topic of the RPG.

Helen, I forgot to mention in my last post that I am praying for your mother. I'm glad to hear she's doing well!
Old 09-06-2004, 09:40 AM   #503
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Erebemlin snaps...

I feel like maybe a short explanation of Erebemlin's behavior may be needed, especially since I have been gone lately and have not been able to bring him to this point in my posts.

Erebemlin is undergoing a lot of stress, as are the other members of the company. I've tried hinting at his ever growing irritation in earlier posts with Taitheneb. To this point, the other elf has been the only one to see anything changing, but with the return of Mellondu, he is snapping. His heart is broken with the disappearance of Amroth and unfortunately he is not dealing with it in an appropriate manner.

With that said, Erebemlin's sudden harsh speech toward Ędegard is not uncharacteristic, and I've been planning this kind of confrontation or outburst for sometime. lmp, feel free to push his buttons if you so choose.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:45 AM   #504
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

So is there anything that the Gondor troup should be doing? Also, what kind of symptoms will Gwyllion be experiencing in this comotose state do you suppose, LMP? More nightmares?

I hope your mum is okay, Bolco.

Old 09-08-2004, 11:51 AM   #505
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

THank you! She is steadily improving, praise God, and thank you all for your prayers. And as much as my mom improves, my dad continues to cheer up... it's all good.

Thank you again, all, for your prayers. Hugely appreciated.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:36 PM   #506
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Tolkien Tharonwe's strategy at this point

Thinking out loud here (so to speak ). Gwyllion and Mellonin are pawns in Tharonwe's control. As such, Gwyllion is unimportant, and he has little time to spare for her dreams. He started by giving her a potion to get her asleep in the first place, but once she was asleep, Thraonwe has been using his will and that alone to keep her asleep. It is not yet to his purpose to waken, for he does not want Aeron and company to become too hopeful. So as to symptoms of Gwyllion, she will begin to sleep more peacefully, but under duress, being asleep at the will of another. That will be a cause of stress on her person, so there can be symptoms of illness not unlike Frodo's from Weathertop to Rivendell, but nothing nearly so serious! Hope that helps.

Mellonin is in the same state, but there is something about her that has drawn Thraonwe's attention; he is not yet sure what it is, but it will come clear now during the next night, since Amroth and Mellondu have switched places, as it were. At that point he will have changed his mind and not returned her to Ravion and company, for it becomes clear that there is a connection between Amroth's group and this wandering band of wayfarers looking for a lost brother.

Tharonwe continues to give Nimrodel the same type of messages and dreams as always, but does so carefully, trying to avoid detection by the Elves from Lorien. (Don't ask me what happened to Falowik and Uien - that seems to be a dead issue which we must do without - it occurred to me just now because it certainly would have altered Tharonwe's strategies.)

Nevertheless, Tharonwe knows that he has already been detected via osanwe, and that it is a matter of time before the two parties discover each other..... unless he can force the wanderers back to Minas Tirith.

So the upshot seems to be that Tharonwe will follow Ravion's group south back into Gondor, leaving his swamp and the swamp beast behind. This keeps the Elves of Rohan at a distance, but increases Tharonwe's risk of being caught out away from the lands he controls and knows so well. Hmmm...... would he leave the swamp? It depends on what he can determine regarding Mellonin and Mellondu. So he's not sure yet, and the spinning of our plot will have an effect on his decision (if and how soon to return Mellonin to the others).
Old 09-09-2004, 07:00 AM   #507
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Soooo.... Mellonin is still captive, still miserably dreaming nightmares, and there's no release in sight? Oooo, Tharonwe is a rotten meanie.

Uh... *blinks*... time to go pray about what's next... ...Lord??
Old 09-13-2004, 06:18 AM   #508
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

lmp, the elf on the deck of the ship is Tharonwe. Also Tharonwe hides Mellonin and Raefindan from Amroth. Let me know if this is handled okay-- any issues, let me know.

If Amroth hasn't 'resurfaced' already (read: if ye Rohan writer(s) isn't/aren't ready for him to surface just yet) then he will, soon.

ps. alak, whatcha think?
Old 09-13-2004, 06:48 PM   #509
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Tolkien Wow!

Helen, that has to be one of the best posts I've ever read on BD. Wow! It all fits. Beautifully executed! Don't change a thing!
Old 09-14-2004, 06:38 AM   #510
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

**blushes, and bows**

Do we want to discuss the timing of Amroth's re-emergence and Mellondu's re-submerging? Amroth will (as usual) push Echo to the limit, and all his old stubbornness will resurface, tempered by love of his group, but intensified by the new information.

Nethwador will be confused but loyal, still annoyed with Ędegard, still drawn to Bella. Hmmmm.... currently, he would want to protect Bella (as he "protected" Argeleafa from Ędegard's tear-inducing mean-and-rotten-ness) but he only knows how to use his fists. Must consider this.

It's odd, when Nethwador ("Wild Mellon" ) first appeared, I saw in him only a foil for Mellondu. How he has grown...

Last edited by mark12_30; 09-14-2004 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:13 AM   #511
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Save filled.

Old 09-14-2004, 07:14 PM   #512
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Save deleted, but post up. Guys, I am so sorry that I've been absent lately--things have been getting crazy here with auditions and academics and productions. I'm hoping to develop a routine soon, so I ought to be back to normal posting. I haven't forgotten--I'm just trying to sort things out.

Love where everything's going! You guys are the best.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:27 PM   #513
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

I'm definitely enjoying this myself!! Whatta team!!!

First month of school is always a whirlwind? I think most of the students have been on the 'quiet' side.

Good to see you 'back', Orual! And good old Ravion...
Old 09-16-2004, 09:22 PM   #514
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Tolkien time off

I am going on a four day vacation. I'll be back Tuesday. Just so you know where things are going....

1. Mellonin will NOT be returned to the Raefindan group (in case that wasn't obvious).

2. The merchant and his footman, accompanied by a mercenary group of 12 armed men, will confront the Raefindan group just before noon of the new day, and will require that Aeron and Gwyllion go with them back to Minas Tirith. Obviously, this number is intended to intimidate the five into putting up no resistance. If and when they do, an arrow (from hidden Tharonwe) will strike true to severely wound whichever individual shows first initiative; the nature of this arrow's point will be revealed upon my return.

3. Ędegard will continue his descent into morose self-abuse, and will respond emotionally to whomever engages him at this point, and in mirror image to however he is engaged. If pity, with piteousness; if anger, with unacted upon rage (boiling teapot syndrome). Whatever, he will not take physical action of any type, no matter how needful; but he will speak in a subdued fashion.

4. Tharonwe will keep tabs on the Amroth party by means of careful Osanwe. His careful mind searches can be detected, but only if Amroth or one of the two Elves directs his Osanwe directly at the swamp, with the purpose of discovering that which BLOCKS Nimrodel. Make sense?

Helen, this is your rpg. You've allowed me plenty of influence, which has been fun. Please feel free (of course) to overrule any of the above that you think needs it.

Hope that gives the rest of you enough to go on.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:44 PM   #515
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Quote:
2. The merchant and his footman, accompanied by a mercenary group of 12 armed men, will confront the Raefindan group just before noon of the new day, and will require that Aeron and Gwyllion go with them back to Minas Tirith. Obviously, this number is intended to intimidate the five into putting up no resistance. If and when they do, an arrow (from hidden Tharonwe) will strike true to severely wound whichever individual shows first initiative; the nature of this arrow's point will be revealed upon my return.
Lmp, how in the WORLD did you know that I was going to have the merchant come back???? That is just too scary...

Cheers,
Immy

Old 09-17-2004, 07:04 AM   #516
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
Helen, this is your rpg. You've allowed me plenty of influence, which has been fun. Please feel free (of course) to overrule any of the above that you think needs it.
Why, thank you! But it all sounds marvelous. And "Plenty of influence" is what Gondor is all about; that's what gives a Gondorian game a life of its own! I wouldn't have it otherwise.

I was braced for that when I started this game, with the main caveat being "Keep it as canonical as possible." As a team, you have all done a marvelous job with that. My only nervousness was having a swamp-beastie in the Entwash Delta so far from Moria Westgate, with no way for it to have wriggled downstream from Mama. I think we have settled on the explanation for that. (And since I facetiously suggested it myself, that's a relief!!!) I am content.

And if it sounds like I am quite proud of all of you, well, you could say that too.

Old 09-17-2004, 08:57 AM   #517
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Tolkien

"Lmp, how in the WORLD did you know that I was going to have the merchant come back????"

Thought I'd check in quick one last time before we drive off to Drummond Island. At to your question, Immy, you kind of left the merchant open as a plot point to be called back into action at any time, so I've been intending to make use of him for quite a while.

Thanks, Helen, for your encouragement and high regard. Back at ya!
Old 09-17-2004, 11:00 AM   #518
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Nuru, dear, this post brought me to tears.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:34 AM   #519
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

With baited breath, I anticipate THE LITTLEMANPOET's return.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:27 AM   #520
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

"Uh.... Hello....?"

**looks behind several tussocks of swamp-grass, but finds no writers in sight**

"....Dratted Swamp-Elf must have gotten them..."

Last edited by mark12_30; 09-24-2004 at 07:21 AM.