The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-14-2003, 11:52 PM   #1
Foolofatook
Pile O'Bones

Foolofatook has just left Hobbiton.
1420! Where did Saruman go?

I'm quite content with Sauron's whereabouts after death, to be a shadow wandering Middle Earth forever. But Saruman was rejected by the Valar as well. Does he share in Sauron's fate? I surely hope not. Saruman was indeed an evil force in the world at the end of the Third Age but he did so much good prior to his 60 or so years of evil at the most inappropriate time. Did he then die as a man would? Or possibly as an elf would?

Taking the Christian approach doesn't really answer my question either. Sauron is a Satan figure whereas Saruman is a Judas figure. Keeping that in mind the two should have different fates and while in the end it will not be good for Saruman there should be some difference. I also don't see him falling into the void. That would be the worst fate of all surpassing Melkor and Sauron, to live forever powerless with a master that you both betrayed and failed. It's an eternity of Wormtongue for a once noble and essentially good being. If you have any ideas I'd love to hear them.
Old 12-15-2003, 04:29 AM   #2
Earendilyon
Wight

Earendilyon has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I think Saruman indeed shared Sauron's fate: he was rejected from Valinor, so he had to stay in Middle Earth as an impotent spirit.
To connect tp Cristianity: the Maiar Saruman and Sauron can be likened to fallen angels, like the angels who followed Satan. Sauron followed Morgoth in the beginning, Saruman in essence also followed Morgoth, just many millenia later.

Dominus Anulorum

TolkienGateway - large Tolkien encyclopedia.
Earendilyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 04:06 PM   #3
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

So they are both spirits that roam Middle Earth?
Old 12-16-2003, 03:35 AM   #4
Earendilyon
Wight

Earendilyon has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Yep. Probably hiding in some hole, as Saddam did [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Dominus Anulorum

TolkienGateway - large Tolkien encyclopedia.
Earendilyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 05:42 PM   #5
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Well then, we'll just have to start a completely useless war, led by a short, monkey-looking man, to try and ferret him out, so we can ask him where he went. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 11:31 AM   #6
Amarie of the Vanyar
Wight

Amarie of the Vanyar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

But Sauron ended up in the Void after the destruction of the Ring, his spirit is not wandering in Middle-Earth:

Quote:
'Go back to the abyss prepared for you! Go back! Fall into the nothingness that awaits you and your Master. Go!'.
Gandalf to the Witch King; The Siege of Gondor; LotR
Quote:
But in the years he rose like a shadow of Morgoth and a ghost of his malice, and walked behind him on the same ruinous path down into the Void.
Of the Enemies; Valaquenta; The Silmarillion
Old 12-22-2003, 07:43 AM   #7
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

The meaning of beening pushed into the viod in the case of Morgoth is stated by Tolkien to be executed and as a spirit band from Ea. The last part needed the special premission of Eru himself. It is very unlikely that such a premission was given in a minor case like Sauron.

The quotation given by Amarie could thus only mean the first part of the fate of Morgoth: to be robed of the physikal shape for ever. And that is exactly what is suggested as the fate of Sauron by Tolkien: a bodyless spirit fixed in the desire to rebuild a physikal form for itself.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote