The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-21-2002, 08:27 PM   #1
Taure Leafsilver
Wight

Taure Leafsilver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Taure Leafsilver
Sting I think I'm gonna cry..................again.

This was the most emotional movie I've ever seen. I hav'nt cried so much since I saw The Phantom of the Opera.With Frodo getting more insnared in the power of the ring and all it is just to much for me. Oh, and the script is well written. For example: compare these two versions of one of Sam's lines and tell me which one is better,<P>movie: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Frodo! It's your Sam! Don't you reconize your Sam? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>could have been: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Frodo! It's me, Sam! Don't you reconize me? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I love you P.J! <p>[ December 21, 2002: Message edited by: Taure Leafsilver ]
Old 12-21-2002, 08:29 PM   #2
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

Personally, I was just scared that Sam said "<I>your</I> Sam".
Old 12-21-2002, 08:40 PM   #3
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Personally, I was just scared that Sam said "your Sam". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Why? It's Tolkien. For example, heres a quote from The Choices of Master Samwise:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>"It's your Sam calling." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>And I agree. The Two Towers was definatlly an emotionall rollercoster.<BR>
Old 12-21-2002, 08:43 PM   #4
Taure Leafsilver
Wight

Silmaril

It seems to imply "not just any Sam, <I>your</I> Sam. The one that will take care of you, no matter what"
Old 12-21-2002, 09:20 PM   #5
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It was an emotional film, though my anger prevented me from crying. I'm sure after I see it a few more times I'll end up sobbing at the end. Though "your Sam" might be interpreted differently today, I think it is a great symbol of Sam's willing servitude and devotion.
Old 12-21-2002, 10:28 PM   #6
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dūm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I loved Sam.<P>"I want to hear about Frodo and the ring daddy!"<P>Loved it, loved it. He saved the movie with his two little speeches near the end.
Old 12-22-2002, 12:23 AM   #7
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I agree with you, Taure Leafsilver. So many things were done so beautifully. I only got teary-eyed in the theatre though, I will do the big crying when I can watch in the privacy of my own home. I didn't cry at Boromir's death until I owned the DVD. So, I sure this will be the same, though I don't know if I'll be able to hold back public tears when seeing ROTK.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 03:41 AM   #8
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dūm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I defintely got teary-eyed with <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Frodo! It's your Sam! Don't you reconize your Sam? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>As well as Haldir dying, I have no idea why but I did.<BR>I also felt sad AFTER the movie was over, I mean now there is only ONE more movie and then its over, thinking about that got me really sad Anyone else feel like this?? or am I all alone?
Old 12-22-2002, 07:16 AM   #9
Celebrodiel

Silmaril

I so nearly cried when Arwen said;<BR>"You have my love Father"<BR>
Old 12-22-2002, 08:17 AM   #10
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

I guess I'm not that sentimental but I don't cry at movies. But if I could cry at movies these parts would have made me:<P>~When the elves show up at Helms Deep. They would be happy tears of course.<P>~When Smeogol feels betrayed and Gollum returns.<P>~Sam's speaches at the end. These would also be happy tears.<P>Maybe next year I'll cry for the first time. Probably because either I'll be extremely tired (I'm going to the Gathering in Toronto and that means I'll be watching all three Lord of the Rings movies in one day) or because of Shelob. I'm almost certain that will be a very emotional moment.<P>A part I like about these movies is that you are not constantly sad through the whole thing. PJ manages to put in some humor (Gimli) that brings your spirits back up for a moment.
Old 12-22-2002, 09:06 AM   #11
Harmonica
Animated Skeleton

Harmonica has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

It was such a tradgedy what happend to Smeagol and turned him into Gollum. When he had his first psychotic breakdown and went totally schizo discussing with himself, most of the people in the theatre laughed and thought it was funny. Me, I almost broke into tears, I felt so sorry for him and it was heartbreaking to see that scene.
Old 12-22-2002, 09:36 AM   #12
Taure Leafsilver
Wight

Silmaril

I found gollum's shcizo scene both funny and sad. The camara changes for each personality was a stroke genius! The facial expressions were great! I thought it very cute when he does the "we told him to leave and never come back!!" I was going "Aaaaaawww! he's cute, in an ugly sort of way!" When Gollum came back I was say "Oh,no." Then When he's talking about <I>she</I> I said a little loudly "Yes!" be cause <I>she</I> is my favorite part!<P>oh, and just so ya' know, I like refering to shelob as <I>she</I>,it is creepy!!<p>[ December 22, 2002: Message edited by: Taure Leafsilver ]
Old 12-22-2002, 12:24 PM   #13
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

I did get a bit angry when at the end Gollum called Sam "the fat hobbit"<P>Oh well, I guess he's right. But why not "the brave hobbit" or "the stubborn hobbit" or "the hobbit that makes the realy good Coney Stew" Ya like Gollum would ever say that.
Old 12-22-2002, 03:03 PM   #14
Nenya
Wight

Nenya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I suprised myself by not crying louder. Instaed of a big "oh my god there's gallons of water coming from my eyes"-scene, I kinda sobbed throughout the movie. <BR>In the "Don't you recognise your Sam?", I was way beyond tears. As I have said before, my heart just broke, I couldn't even cry. (someone's taking this a bit too emotionally... :rolleyes
Nenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 04:03 PM   #15
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

LePetitChoux has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to LePetitChoux
White-Hand

I felt really sentimental in the scenes with the Rohirrim getting all the little boys to fight and their mothers crying...
Old 12-22-2002, 04:42 PM   #16
Taure Leafsilver
Wight

Shield

That was sad. I was all the time imagining if that was me. One of the mothers or boys, scary.
Old 12-22-2002, 06:47 PM   #17
Taure Leafsilver
Wight

Sting

I just found this pic, you'll know what it is. 3rd one down<BR>I'm going to cry now. <BR> <A HREF="http://www.dvdtown.com/disc_details/media.asp?id=10697&type=screen" TARGET=_blank>*sniff*</A><p>[ December 22, 2002: Message edited by: Taure Leafsilver ]
Old 12-22-2002, 07:21 PM   #18
Tśroch
Wight

Tśroch has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Alright, even though it wasn't in the book did anyone else get teary when one of the Rohirrim mothers put her two children on the horse and told them to ride away. Sniff, sniff. I didn't really come as close to tears anywhere else. I was to insensed about some of the movie's changes to feel emotional. Same with Haldir's death. I could feel PJ wanted it to be emotional, but it just didn't come that way to me.
For the valour of the Edain the Elves shall ever remember as the ages lengthen, marvelling that they gave life so freely of which thay had on earth so little. But it is not for thy valour only that I send thee, but to bring into the world a hope beyond thy sight, and a light that shall pierce the darkness." Ulmo - Lord of waters
Tśroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 07:25 PM   #19
Taure Leafsilver
Wight

Sting

I did. The scene felt so familiar, as if I had seen it before. needless to say, I melted.
Old 12-22-2002, 08:56 PM   #20
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I did get a bit angry when at the end Gollum called Sam "the fat hobbit" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>But didn't you just love the look Sam gave him when he said that? It was a sort of "I dare you to say that one more time" kind of look. <p>[ December 22, 2002: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]
Old 12-22-2002, 09:08 PM   #21
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynė

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

personally...Smeagol was my favorite! he was awesome. his schizo scenes were so cute. i love him so much that when Sam was cruel to him i actually got angry towards Sam!! gollum turned good (in case anyone didn't notice!!) he told the bad Gollum to go away! and then, in past themes, it says that Sam's harsh treatment was part of the reason for Smeagol to go permanately bad (ok, so the ring did some too) but there could have been hope! anyway, Smeagol made the movie. I'm glad there were some humorous parts.
Old 12-22-2002, 09:08 PM   #22
Taure Leafsilver
Wight

1420!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>the look Sam gave him when he said that? It was a sort of "I dare you to say that one more time" kind of look. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>That <I>was</I> funny! wish they would've gone into the slinker/stinker nicknames more. It kind of came out of nowhere.<p>[ December 22, 2002: Message edited by: Taure Leafsilver ]
Old 12-23-2002, 08:28 AM   #23
Aragost
Wight

Aragost has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Aragost
Sting

They could have put more of the "shriekers" in to terrify gollum.
Old 12-23-2002, 10:03 AM   #24
Nenya
Wight

Nenya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Any of you ever read Asterix-comics? I'm telling you, I was expecting Sam to respond just like the way Obelix always does when someone calls him fat! He had the exact same look on his face.
Nenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 10:59 AM   #25
Taure Leafsilver
Wight

Shield

never read them. where could I find the? Do you have a link?
Old 12-23-2002, 11:24 AM   #26
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Balin999 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Balin999
Sting

I'll have to admit that I nearly cried everytime when I saw Gollum, especially when Frodo called him Smeagol. I couldn't understand why I nearly wept but I felt so sorry for that poor creature. I also felt very sad when Gollum talked to himself (by the way, excellent work, P.J.), though everyone around me laughed at Gollum. I guess those were the people that hadn't read the books. <BR>But I didn't feel sad when Sam made his little speech to Frodo. I was so angry because of the many changes of the story, especially in the later middle part of the movie. The scene when Haldir died was too much for me, not because I was so sad, but because I nearly got mad of anger. First, 500 bow-elves come out of Lorien (!!!), Haldir (!!!) leading them. (that's because the actor had to play in the second part, too). And then, to top it all, Haldir gets killed. When I saw this scene I cried out aloud "Come on, this is such a crap" and I guess at least 30 people heard mein the theatre. But I was so upset that I wanted to leave, which I didn't, luckily.

...The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, but conformity...

...Everything is possible, except to ski through a revolving door...
Balin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 11:49 AM   #27
DarkRose
Wight

DarkRose has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to DarkRose
Sting

Just to comment on matters of crying or sadness:<P>I got teary-eyed when:<P>1) In the very beginning of the movie, they showed Gandalf falling down the pit in Moria, stabbing at the Balrog. Since I had bawled loudly at the Balrog part of the first movie, it made me tear up in the second movie.<P>2) When Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas find Gandalf in the woods. I loved how Gandalf's face flickered into a kindly-old-man's face again for one second, like it had been back in the Shire when talking to Frodo.<P>3) Any part when the great strain that the Ring inflicted upon Frodo was illustrated. This just tore at my heart to see how Frodo struggled.<P>I actually cried when:<P>1) Aragorn was thought to be dead. It also breaks my heart when the (former) Fellowship loses people. =(<P>2) Frodo is holding his dagger at Sam's throat. That was just devastating.<P>Oh, I also cried when my mom spilled her entire liter of Diet Coke all over my new jeans. Apparently, she had forgotten that a towering class of Coke was perched on her arm rest, and she jabbed it with her elbow. Heh. That broke my heart more than the movie! (Kidding, kidding.)
Old 12-23-2002, 12:11 PM   #28
Cherie Centaur
Haunting Spirit

Cherie Centaur has just left Hobbiton.
Question

I never actually cried during the movie because I was soo mad at it. Though when Haldir died (why was he there in the first place?) and Gollum feeling betrayed I did feel some sympathy, then was ticked off at Faramir. But I know I'll burst into tears during RoTK, with the end and all.
Old 12-23-2002, 01:27 PM   #29
Maylin Talese
Pile O'Bones

Maylin Talese has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I saw the movie yesterday for the first time, and while I was disappointed about Faramir.<P> I was between crying and screaming half the movie. I nearly had a heartattack when Frodo almost killed Sam, I wasn't expecting that until the next movie. Considering how much the movie was changed, (The elves, Ents almost not going to war, faramir) I would almost not be surprised if Frodo really does die, or Aragorn marries Eowyn instead, or something.
Maylin Talese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 04:33 PM   #30
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

I kind of quietly sobbed throughout the whole movie, even when I was laughing at Gimli's antics (John Rhys-Davies was stupendous). I cried hardest:<BR>1. When Gandalf fell, yet again (and I've read the books so many times, you'd think I wouldn't...something about the look in Frodo's eye when it happens)<BR>2. When they 1st touched base with each group, seeing where they were<BR>3. When Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli think that Merry and Pippin are dead (again: I've read them so many darn times!)<BR>4. When Gandalf comes back<BR>5. When Theodred died, but Theoden was too far gone to care<BR>6. When Eomer was exiled<BR>7. When they thought Aragorn was dead<BR>8. How Aragorn kept remembering Arwen, through all that...both when he was remembering her and she was remembering him (when she was standing over his grave too)<BR>9. When they all "knew" they were going to die at Helm's Deep, but fought anyway<BR>10. When Gandalf finally came<BR>11. Oh: when Legolas apologized to Aragorn<BR>12. Nearly every time Smeagol's little face poked through on Gollum's exterior...I felt so sorry for him<BR>13. When Frodo realized he was being taken over by the ring<BR><I><B>14. When Haldir died</B></I> (Oi vey, I cried so much)<P>Hmmm...I cried an awful lot...but I also remember smiling the whole time...yeesh: I need to have some emotional training...<P>I also laughed a lot, while tears were streaming down my face...
Old 12-23-2002, 04:48 PM   #31
Namarie
Pile O'Bones

Namarie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Namarie
Sting

I went to see it with a few of my friends and one sitting next to mee was one of my guy friends so I knew he would totally make fun of me if I cried so I kept holding it in until Sam made his first little speech and then I started bawling! It was so sad. And happy. Thats what I love about LOTR its so sad and happy at the same time. In the first one (in the very beginnig)when hes sitting in the tree reading, I started to cry because It was so happy but it was so sad to know that he was going to go on a journey that would change his little hobbit outlook on life totally. And especially in the second one when that hobbit song is playing and he goes "Frodo wouldnt have gotten far without sam" !
Old 12-23-2002, 04:51 PM   #32
Namarie
Pile O'Bones

Sting

I know Im posting again but i just have to say it gets very emotional when , in the battle sequences, how people are screaming but you dont here them, ya know? How their mouths are moving but all you here is the sad music and the swords clinking...
Old 12-23-2002, 10:36 PM   #33
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dūm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Or when the music has stopped and you just hear the swords and the whistle of the arrows and the groans of the dying. That always gets me - it's like music in itself.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 12:46 PM   #34
Taure Leafsilver
Wight

Ring

I always cry when I remember thet Frodo is going to change so drasticly, I breaks my heart. Sam also makes me cry for the same reson.
Old 12-24-2002, 01:35 PM   #35
PippinSqueak
Pile O'Bones

PippinSqueak has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Even though he didn't have a big part in the last movie..i made me really sad when Haldir died. And when Frodo had the knife to Sam's throat and Sam looked so hurt. AND when they were making the young boys fight at Helm's Deep. The whole movie was emotional.
Old 12-24-2002, 01:44 PM   #36
Taure Leafsilver
Wight

1420!

I'm going to the movie again in a few days and this time I'm prepared!! *waves handkerchief in the air*
Old 12-24-2002, 02:40 PM   #37
Namarie
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Hay Tuare! We are doing the play into the woods this year, I'm little red riding hood!
Old 12-24-2002, 11:59 PM   #38
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Maybe next year I'll cry for the first time. Probably because either I'll be extremely tired (I'm going to the Gathering in Toronto and that means I'll be watching all three Lord of the Rings movies in one day) or because of Shelob. I'm almost certain that will be a very emotional moment.<P> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I'll be there with you, Rose Cotton. We'll have to make sure to have a big ol' box of tissues on hand. I expect to be bawling in many places of ROTK, especially since they moved Shelob back.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 02:42 PM   #39
Gryphon Hall
Animated Skeleton

Gryphon Hall has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Gryphon Hall
Tolkien

PJ was able to do what I thought no one would be able to do: actually portray Gollum in such a way that would evoke pity. Not the 'how pathetic' type of feeling pity or the 'better put him outta his misery' pity, but the 'oh, poor guy! don't hurt him!' pity. Back in the FOTR, all I felt was the second kind; by the TTT, I actually felt how Frodo's 'betrayal' must have been like. It was worse in the book, but the movie (no matter how rushed or abbreviated it was) made me cry with pity for Smeagol. <P>Other emotional moments for me was that muster at Helm's deep. I was not able to enjoy the full moment of it, however, because my seatmate kept commenting on how 'emotional' the scene was. Eventually, it ended up as just me watching an emotional scence on the big screen instead of vicariously experiencing the story.<P>Perhaps when I watch it alone next year. Maybe I can really feel it like I should have. Maybe then I can have a good cry.<P>Moral: Never sit beside a person who feels obligated to make a running commentary when watching 'Lord of the Rings'
Gryphon Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 05:32 PM   #40
Taure Leafsilver
Wight

1420!

I watched for the second time today and I sobbed even more than last time. I'm still gasping for breath! I do belive I'm in love!