The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-25-2007, 10:33 AM   #1
Sardy
Wight

Sardy has just left Hobbiton.
Gandalf the Distracted?

While recently considering the differences in appearance, demeanor, power and mission of both Gandalf the Grey and Gandalf the White, I was wondering if if the former might have been wandering down the road to distraction... Perhaps even in the early stages of losing his way, straying from his mission.

Consider that of the five (known) Istari, four of them most likely succombed to distraction. Radagast, most obviously; Saruman to the lure of power and fascinations of Ring-lore; and while of the Blue Wizards little is known, it is probably safe to assume that they failed in their mission (possibly becoming distracted with the founding of cults in the far east).

Now let's look at Gandalf the Grey:

--Overly concerned with Hobbits and the Shire. While this certainly became important in the larger scheme of things, it also shows that Gandalf's love of (and desire for?) innocence, simplicity and the agrarian life grew as his days in Middle-earth drew on... Had the Hobbits not become bound up with the Ring, I wonder how Gandalf's increasingly excessive attention in the Shire might've affected things?

--An increasing affection for pipe-weed. Even Saruman noted Gandalf's fascination with smoking with disgust (and went so far as to poke fun at him in front of the White Council).

--Surely there are other instances of Gandalf's increasing infatuation with things other than his mission. I will post some as I come upon them, and ask that other might, as well.

Now, my question for this hypothetical is this: Had the Ring not been found by Bilbo, and had the Necromancer waited another thousand or two years to re-emerge, had the Third Age dragged on and on and on with no sign of Sauron n sight---might Gandalf have strayed from his mission? Become overly distracted with the Shire? Gone Native? Lost his way?

Last edited by Sardy; 05-25-2007 at 11:53 AM.
Sardy is offline   Reply With Quote