The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-21-2008, 06:01 AM   #1
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots Nth Post Angst?

Do you get this?

I've noticed to my surprise that my 4,000th Post is heading this way with all the speed of Gordon Brown chasing an Icelandic banker. Some how I feel I ought to do something special with it, as I've tried to do on my Nth Posts in the past, but that risks a.) ending up starting a really rubbish thread that you thought was impressive and everyone else thinks "yawwwwwn" and b.) you look dead uncool.

In fact a.) and b.) there might even apply to this thread....

Do you store up cunning thread ideas for your Nth Posts, like a squirrel stashing nuts for the winter? Or do you waste it on a WW post accusing Mithalwen of being a cobbler and upsetting her?

And do you actually care?
Old 10-21-2008, 06:37 AM   #2
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I do care, but I do not store anything up.

It is more a case of me suddenly realising a special number is comming up and then either make some panic post or I decide that I will hang onto the post until I figure out what I want to do with it. The problem with the latter is that I always end up forgetting and use the special post on some random thing like "Palantir of Fortune"

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:38 AM   #3
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
And do you actually care?
I do. I've already started the countdown and feel like a kid before Christmas. Lal's 4000th post! Don't know what it's going to be about but I expect something absolutely marvellous!
Old 10-21-2008, 07:04 AM   #4
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip spence View Post
I do. I've already started the countdown and feel like a kid before Christmas. Lal's 4000th post! Don't know what it's going to be about but I expect something absolutely marvellous!
I wouldn't hold your breath, I'm such a flibbertigibbet these days I might do just what Rune says and waste it being facetious

What' funnier is with every pointless post I make time is counting down and using it to go "Hey! That was funny!" in response to an Assigned To Mordor post (and is the process even possibly getting chat-skwerled just to add to the sense of misery) is increasingly likely
Old 10-21-2008, 10:49 AM   #5
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Well, since any milestone I would reach probably won't happen for another year or more, I hadn't really even considered an nth post; however, I will gladly offer spam, spam, spam, spam, spam and eggs (minus the eggs) to assist you in reaching your lofty goal.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:17 AM   #6
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
When it comes to me, I usually realise my n-th post had just happened right after I make it (except for my last jubilee, i.e. 3000th post, when I realised it only several posts later and not immediately. Maybe I am getting blind). From the "EDIT: Wow! #th post!" words which I have seen many times, I assume that this is no rare phenomenon. I think many people, like me, don't realise something special is happening until the number they were used to changes suspiciously. Number, let's say, 3987 by itself does not warn you in any striking way on first sight.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:15 PM   #7
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I don't think I have ever marked any post with "yay my nth post!", whatever the number. What's really so special in your 100th, 500th, 1,000th &c post?

Even now I don't remember how many rep points I have, and about my posts I only remember there's 1,100-something of them. Occasionally glancing at the number actually makes me rather surprised: how come I have this many posts already! The worst thing is that I have no idea where I have posted that much.
I think I noticed I had passed one thousand only when I had something like 1,010 posts.

So no, no storing up for me.