Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-08-2005, 04:58 PM   #481
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Saeryn looked from face to face with a softly nervous look of confusion.

"I..." Her eyes clouded lightly as she glanced into a world invisible to her friends.

The young man before her took her by the arm and they ran together through the tall grass, laughing softly and stealing looks behind them. The only sounds were the light breeze through the fields and of birds singing their praise of the afternoon sun. A pair of horses came into view, rich brown coats glimmering in the light. They stopped and he helped her mount, bareback, onto a fiesty mare. The horse quieted immediately and the lanky youth mounted his own gelding. Immediately they took off across the plains screeching their enjoyment. The wind buffeted their locks, strewing pieces of shining auburn hair across their matching hazel eyes.

"You'll never win, Degas!" she cried, glancing behind her. They reached the end and dismounted at the same time, gasping for breath.

"I let you win." he stated with a laugh, knowing that his twin would always beat him in races.

"Of course you did, brother... of course." She winked as she took her mare by the reins and guided her back to the stables.

The group watched with concern as her attention shifted away from them. Slowly, a look of dawning comprehension crossed her face as she blinked once... twice... and her eyes met her brother's.

"Degas...?" He nodded once, a nervous smile flickering at the corners of his lips. She paused, uncertain, before a flood of memories knocked her unconscious to the floor.

"What in the-" Degas cried out in a series of colorful curses. "But she knew me! What just...?" He trailed off helpless, as he knelt beside Saeryn. Her eyes flickered open and rested on his face.

"Degas!" she cried, as he pulled her into a tight embrace.

--------------------------

A few tear-filled moments later found the siblings seated close upon a bench at the table where he had found her so few nights before.

"Saeryn... Fenrir is coming. He wants you home."

She looked at Degas blankly. "Who is Fenrir?"
Old 06-08-2005, 06:34 PM   #482
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
1420!

Bethberry's side was sore. Not greatly aching, just sore. First, from laughing hard, but inside, where few could see how much she laughed. And, second, from a mighty poking of the elbow of Ruthven over this issue of finding Eodwine a wife.

Yet their demeanour was polite, caring, respectful, as the Saeryn and Degas worked through their patter of loss and recovery. Once the tears had flown and the embraces wound their way, the two felt able to address Eodwine's question, but not without giddy faces pointed at Falco. For his part, the halfling could not quite figure out where the merriment ensuded, for he was not one to jest lightly with the ladies, although, if asked, he would be hard put to acknowledge Ruthven as a lady.

"You ask me if I could help you find a wife, Eodwine, and well you might, for most folk here in Edoras work the matter the other way round, starting first with the wife and then following up with the daughter."

Now a man of the court and society such as Eodwine could never rightly be said to blush, but there was a pinish tinge around Eodwine' s cheeks that made a rare appearance. Was the woman admonishing him, he wondered? He gave her a blank stare as if to ignore her comment.

"Mayhap you know not of some of the rites of the common folk here, Master Eodwine," intoned Ruthven.

"I will ask you kindly to refrain from any rough or coarse insinuations, Mistress Rag-Lady," he retorted, putting a high tone of pique in his voice and allowing himself just a bit to look down his nose at her.

Ruthven guffawed and Falco hit his tooth upon the edge of his mug, his hand was shaking so hard with merriment. He rubbed it hard, with his hand, feeling it to see if it was cracked.

'Oh, we've ways and means of courting that the high folks of the Meduseld might not know of," continued the old woman. "We don't just hop into these arrangements handily like some think, after the manner of The White Lady and her Prince."

"Hush, Ruthven," cautioned Bethberry. "Let us not prejudge Eodwine." She turned to look a the man.

"What business do you think a healer or Innkeeper might have with matchmaking, Master Eodwine? Is it a potion you desire? Or a midnight ritual to prepare yourself for the proceedings? Or lessons in the gentle arts of persuasion and attention?"

At this point it could not be denied that the corners of her mouth were turned up in full grin, yet her face was full of a sombre seriousness. It there were all these matches to be made, why, she might have to put a different shingle out beside that of the Horse.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:20 PM   #483
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Esgallhugwen has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree Gudryn

Her face was absolutely blanched from all the emotion, which was uncommon considering the amount of blood that usually rushes to ones face in such predicaments. Gudryn wasn't prone to faint, but a wife for Eodwine? A mother? Had she truly been blessed by the Valar?

She sat with her hands in her lap, the small Rohirric dagger tied about her waist with a thin leather belt. She smiled, thoroughly pleased with the events unfolding before her rich brown eyes.

All but one. Saeryn was recovering but the issue of Fenrir and the way in which he was bound to take her back would not do at all.

Gudryn's small voice piped up though the conversation was already leading elsewhere, "we must convince Fenrir of what has happened to you Saeryn, we must". The crowd looked at her and she blushed having drawn such attention to her self.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:08 PM   #484
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
"Saeryn," said Degas, "Fenrir is coming. He wants you home."

She looked at Degas blankly. "Who is Fenrir?"

Degas gave her a look of exasperation, but sighed and kept his calm. He proceeded in a quiet voice to try to explain to her who Fenrir was.

Bethberry answererd Eodwine on the other side of the table, suggesting that he had gone about building a family backward. Ruthven couldn't resist some rogueish ribbing, which the traitorious Falco thoroughly enjoyed at Eodwine's expense. Bethberry spoke up again.

"What business do you think a healer or Innkeeper might have with matchmaking, Master Eodwine? Is it a potion you desire? Or a midnight ritual to prepare yourself for the proceedings? Or lessons in the gentle arts of persuasion and attention?" Her mouth was grinning, but Eodwine, imagining that he could not see her mouth, saw that she was serious in the eye.

He opened his mouth to come to his own defense when Gudryn, who sat between Eodwine and Saeryn, and had been tracking both conversations, spoke up. "We must convince Fenrir of what has happened to you Saeryn, we must".

All eyes turned to her and she blushed deeply. "Then we shall do our best to tell him the story of what has passed here," Eodwine said, looking at her seriously.

She looked up at him gratefully, but still seemed embarassed. He reached around her shoulder and drew her to him in a fatherly one-handed embrace. She sank her head into his shoulder. He turned then to face Bethberry.

"My thought was that an Innkeeper knows the folk of Edoras as well as anyone, and better than most. I had no thought for potions or rituals or arts. I seek a woman who can love my daughter and me and would be willing to make of the three of us a new family, given time for proper courting. As for the ways of the Golden Hall of Meduseld, you forget that most of my time is spent on a horse on the road, and whereas I can speak with the haughtiness of the high born on a whim, it is by no means what I am. I was a farmer before I was the King's errand boy." He grinned. "So do you know of any lady that would be willing or even feign interest in a wifeless father?" He looked again at Gudryn with a warm smile.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:24 PM   #485
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots Make me a match

For all her brash, rough humour, Ruthven knew when to cease a line of joking and let quiet contemplation work its way into the conversation. She turned away from Bethberry and Eodwine and towards Falco.

*Cracked your tooth have you on your mug?" she inquired. "Let's take a look at ye."

Without much ado, she picked him up and placed him on a high stool and without granting so much as a by your leave to his sputterings, she pulled down on his jaw and lifted his lips to look at the tooth.

"Tisn't cracked, nor even chipped. Likely just gave it a jolt to wake up your jaw bone, lad." For all her forward nature, she meant her actions kindly, and listened to what Falco had to say.

A hush had fallen over the crowd as Degas strove to acquaint Saeryn with Fenrir and her family. All were too polite to enquire why the man must take her back, yet everyone was eager, as is the manner of people in small communities, to know why he was bound to take her back, and how he would accept a lady with no memory of him.

Bethberry took advantage of the diversion which placed the young people in the centre of attention and turned her attention back to Eodwine. His reply to her had justly met her earlier comments and those of Ruthven. The man deserved a thoughtful reply.

"We have not had a wedding here in Edoras since the first rush of marriages after the War of the Ring. Too few of our men returned and many a lass has looked to a life of penury and diminished expectations without a husband and confidante and bread earner. "

Bethberry watched as Eodwine nodded, silently, and Gudryn's face grew sombre.

"What kind of husband do you think you would make, Eodwine, that a woman would take a shine to you? And what might you look for?"
Old 06-15-2005, 07:35 PM   #486
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
For the life of her, Saeryn could not understand her brother's insistance of another sibling. Her memories of their childhood had flashed back, knocking her senseless to the floor, and yet this Fenrir that he spoke of... she remembered nothing.

She strove with the thought, clutching the hand of her twin, until her head ached. Her wounds still hurt, and she was tired.

"Degas, if you insist that we've a brother named Fenrir, than I will believe you." she sighed, exasperated. Degas did not look much better. He brushed his locks out of his eyes with his bandaged hands. Suddenly a look of concern fell across his brow and he looked at his sister. Her bandages still peeked from beneath her gown, and her face held a small nearly concealed frown.

"Mistresses, I hate to interrupt... but my sister... she is still injured, and she is still exhausted. The day has been long. Will someone help me get her to a warm bed?"
Old 06-16-2005, 03:45 AM   #487
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Bethberry regarded Eodwine with a penetrating gaze. "What kind of husband do you think you would make, Eodwine, that a woman would take a shine to you? And what might you look for?"

Eodwine opened his mouth in reply when Degas spoke up.

"Mistresses, I hate to interrupt... but my sister... she is still injured, and she is still exhausted. The day has been long. Will someone help me get her to a warm bed?"

Bethberry called Maercwen from the kitchen. Once Bethberry saw that Saeryn's need was seen to, she turned back to Eodwine.

He looked at her gravely. "I would make the same as I made before, with fifteen years' additional wisdom to aid me. Remembrance of the family I lost will make me hold a new family dear. My loyalty is unquestioned by all who know me. Other than that, you have seen for yourself through our recent adventures what kind of man I am. As to what I might look for, firstly a woman who would be a good mother to Gudryn. Other than that..." Now a small grin played on his lips "...I would wish that such a one be not much older than I, and be not too hard to look at, if you take my meaning." He grew serious again. "But what I look for most is someone who could give her heart to the both of us and expect no less in return."
Old 06-19-2005, 01:49 PM   #488
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

The departure of Saeryn and Degas with Maercwyn brought a bustling commotion to the Greath Hall, so that people turned away from the central event towards their beer, their dinners, the thankfully calm conclusion of their day. The twins enthusiastically attacked their plates of pastries and ragouts and vegetables while Falco kept his eye on his companion Eodwine. He had not expected the Rohirrim man to accept the adoption of Gudryn, but stranger things had happened in his life. Still, Falco chuckled to himself, for he foresaw some lively adventures in the near future.

Gudryn's blushing concern for herself disappeared as she watched Saeryn leave, so she was neither prepared nor expecting the Innkeeper's question to her.

"Gudryn, you have had a tumultuous day and no doubt your head and your heart are spinning with events almost unbelievable."

The girl turned back to Bethberry shyly and nodded, her hand still holding Eodwine's arm.

"What say you to this idea of Eodwine's, that he supplies not only father but mother for you as well? It is a mighty step, to step into the lives of strangers. Girls don't usually pick their maws and paws as easily as they choose new frocks."

"Frocks," interjected Ruthven, munching on a thick slice of grain bread slathered with butter. "Gives me an idea, Bette."

"Well it might, Ruthven, but let's let Gudryn give us a few leads. Yet don't feel rushed to answer now, dear. The day has been long and much too rushed to recommend sudden decisions. Shall we all finish dinner and like Saeryn and Degas seek our repose, that tomorrow we may consider with fresh mind and heart Eodwine's idea?"

~~~

And so the day finally wound down as the sun set, with tongues wagging slower and slower and people by one and two drifting off for the night. Ruthven bid the twins goodnight and Falco, nodded to Eodwine, and gave Bethberry a parting hug.

For her part, the Innkeeper lit the taper inside a lantern and made the rounds of the doors and windows on the main floor, ensuring all were barred and locked, and then withdrew to her room for rest. She was tired, nay , even wearied by the day's events and hoped for a good, long sleep.

~~~

Alas, she could not sleep, not for the longest time, that is. Her feet ached and her arms and gave her little peace. Yet sleep finally came and the sun did rise again.

It rose not with any particular portent. It was neither bright and cheerful, cloudless with a piercing blue, nor overcast and dark, with a foreboding sense, but was a mixed sky with whisps of cloud disappated into the blue sky to wash it out, without diminishing the sun's rays. It was a morn like any other morn and so did not seem to hold any special meaning for the day it announced. It was, in short, a most unlikely beginning for the story of heart's desire.

Last edited by Bęthberry; 06-19-2005 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:29 PM   #489
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White Tree Gudryn

Gudryn rubbed the sleep from her eyes and bolted out of bed, realizing in terror that something was wrong. But wait. Her heart slowed as she relaxed knowing she was now in a safe place free from the harm of Rand whom was locked away.

She pulled back the curtains to the sunrise, she loved every one she could remember. Though this one wasn't a dazzling display of hue, it had it's own special beauty that could not be denied.

Gudryn sighed thinking all the while about the decision that lay ahead of her, A father, and now perhaps a mother too? But would she still be able to travel the lands of Middle Earth? As pleasant as it might be she wished not to be about the house all day tending to chores. She wished to see lands that would be new to her eyes, and for all her love of Rohan she longed for the experiences that riding across the land would bring her. To Gondor and the Shire and perhaps the fading realms of the Elves before they were truly gone.

She sighed and watched the sun crest over the horizon, "a new day, full of purpose and choices that must be seen to"

She tip toed across the wooden floor in her bare feet to Eodwine's room, and knocked gently on the door. No answer. She knocked again. Still no answer.

Gudryn opened the door to find her Father sprawled out on the bed, "Father?", he barely stirred. Gudryn stepped closer and tapped Eodwine on the nose, his face scrunched up and he turned over in his bed.

"If you want to wake him you'll have to try alot harder than that", a familiar voice huffed behind her, she spun around to find Falco. "Watch and learn", Falco leaped onto the bed and began to shout.

"Up and about big trouble, you can't be lazing about when the day's upon us" he jumped up and down causing Eodwine to bounce along with him. Next thing a white blur clocked the rascally Hobbit sending him backwards and a triumphant laugh follows.

Gudryn's eyes widened as she tried to settle them down, "hush now others are still sleeping", "and I would have been to if it weren't for pint sized trouble over there".

Falco puffed up his chest and was about to retort when Gudryn cupped her hand over his mouth resulting in a muffled grumbling protest of inaudibility.

"Father, a mother would be more then I could ever wish for, but I still want to travel with you and learn of all the realms in this world. And perhaps if the mother does not mind to travel, we can all go together", Falco stopped his bantering and gazed up at the young lass, Eodwine silenced his laughing, contemplating her words.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:17 PM   #490
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Saeryn rose early, stiff and weary. As she prepared for a new day, she allowed her mind to wander.

Finding a small mirror in her bags, she examined her face. Though there was no bruising, she could feel where she got knocked on the head by her fall. Her forehead was well and truly bruised, with no color to show for it. She grimaced, remembering her childhood. Not a soul ever took her seriously when she had a hurt, save Degas, because she could never prove the pain with bright shades of blue and purple.

She washed up quickly and dressed, pulling a pair of worn breeches of indistinguishable color on and belting them tight. Over top, and untucked, she opted for a loose white blouse she had lifted from her twin's bags. True to his penchant for frivolty, it's sleeves billowed in a most dramatic way. Unable to work her shoulder to it's full capacity, she left her locks unbraided and sighed over the ringlets she could already see gently framing her face. Perhaps she would ask Gudryn to plait her hair later.

Ignoring her shoes, Saeryn opened her door and went in search for a cup of tea and a friendly face that would not try to helpfully send her back to bed, or wait on her.

"I wonder what this day will bring." she murmered softly as she padded to the kitchen.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:25 PM   #491
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Eodwine

"Father," said Gudryn, her hand over the hobbit's mouth, "a mother would be more than I could ever wish for, but I still want to travel with you and learn of all the realms in this world. And perhaps if the mother does not mind to travel, we can all go together."

Eodwine watched his foster daughter. Her face was bright with the hope she spoke of, but her eyes pleaded. Something was afoot in Gudryn's mind to cause her to come say such serious things bright and early in the morning. At was as if she could read his mind, for he had thought of settling down now that this makeshift family was bringing itself together around him, with his willingness, granted, but almost it seemed to him that some other will was at work to bring him to this point; a good will, if there was one. But of Gudryn, he brought himself back to thinking.

"You wish for me to keep my place as King's Messenger, and take you with me to see Middle Earth?"

Falco reached up and took Gudryn's hand from his mouth. "You may unhand me, lass, I'll not keep you from your words with your new pa any longer. 'Tis time for first breakfast!" With that, he was out the door and down the hall.

Eodwine sat up and swung his legs out to the floor; he had not changed from his garb of the previous night. He gestured to Gudryn to sit by him. She walked over and sat next to him, kicking her feet in the air as if she was treading water.

"Is that what you wish, my daughter?" Eodwine prompted. She nodded, looking up at him with big hopeful eyes. He smiled, but sighed sadly. "I'll have to give some thought to that. You see," he took one of her hands in his two, "it might be that I could buy a horse and train you to ride and come with me on my errands. Indeed, it might be a great adventure for the both of us. But if you are to have a mother also, it looks to my mind's eye that things change, for then we would be a party of three and move slower than the King needs. So maybe 'tis a choice between a mother and my role with the King. I do not know for certain. Which would you rather have, Gudryn?"
Old 06-25-2005, 07:58 AM   #492
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Shield Welcome Writers of the Mark

OOC Announcement

We have some new faces in Rohan and a new Game Manager.

Welcome Encaitare and Kitanna to Rohan as Game Players. Both of you created intriguing hobbit characters and provided solid character development throughout 'Sailing Away."

Firefoot did a tremendous job managing 'Sailing Away' under frustrating situations. The game was as interesting for its character interaction as for the adventure itself. Well conceived, well planned, well played. Firefoot is very deserving of her status as full Rohan Game Player and Game Manager.

A mug of ale (or mead or your other preference) awaits you at The White Horse. Come sail down the Isen and join us here, Firefoot, Encaitare, and Kitanna!

Bęthberry,
Moderator for Rohan
Old 06-29-2005, 03:23 PM   #493
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril Giedd, daughter of Frécne

The whistle of the teakettle brought Giedd out of her meditative work. She started and as she did so, felt the sharp needle pierce her finger. She started again with a tiny shriek of pain. Finally, index finger in her mouth, she rose and poured herself tea. The beverage was placed on the table untouched, however, and Giedd went back to make the final touches on the apron.

Only when that final immaculate white apron was finished and folded neatly on the pile of aprons and frocks did Giedd allow herself to drink the tea. As she put down her cup, she examined the small hole the needle had made in her finger, contemplating it and verifying its existence. Even after these few years, Giedd still often found herself with such “wounds.” If she could, Giedd would have given up such work long ago, devoting her life to caring for the children of the town instead. This did not pay for food, however, so Giedd had to supplement her income with sewing for the town. The pile she was currently working on was to go to the White Horse Inn this very morning.

Looking at the risen sun, Giedd sighed and rose, placing her tea in the sink. She would wash prepare breakfast when she returned from her delivery. Hefting the pile of clothing, Giedd made her way to the door. Shifting the pile to one arm, she flailed slightly with her right hand to open her door. Leaning on the portal, she pushed her way out into the street, then closed the entrance to her tiny house.

Waving to the occasional mother and child, Giedd made her way up the street towards the White Horse Inn. When she arrived, a few patrons were already scattered around the Inn, enjoying tea or breakfast.

“Excuse me?” Giedd interrupted a serving girl. The girl, carrying a full tray, gave Giedd a pleading look. “Do you know where I could find Mistress Bęthberry?”

“Might be in the back,” the girl grunted, shifting the weight of the tray uncomfortably. After a pause, “Is there anything else, Miss?”

“No, no, thank you,” Giedd said. She saw the girl deflate with a relieved sigh, then scurry off to rid herself of the load.

Giedd wandered back towards the kitchens, nodding to the occasional acquaintance. Eventually, after checking with a few other harried-looking girls, Giedd found Bęthberry.

“Mistress Bęthberry? I have your aprons and frocks,” Giedd finally deposited the pile on a table, glad to be rid of the burden. She never rested well until a job was finished.

“Giedd,” Bethberry acknowledged warmly. “As always punctual with the delivery too. Now what do I owe you for these?”

After Giedd and Bęthberry settled the matter of payment and Giedd felt the comforting weight of the coins in her pocket – she was now assured of dinner for at least a few nights more – she and Bęthberry discussed more pleasurable things.

“I must confess, Giedd,” Bęthberry said, “That Ruthven and I were just thinking of your name last night.”

Giedd remained silent, trying to indicate elaboration from Bęthberry would be well-received. However, Bęthberry did not seem entirely prepared to relate the context. Giedd’s stomach gave a small rumble, pushing curiosity from her mind.

“Do you suppose, Mistress, that I could trouble your staff with one more breakfast? I was going to eat when I returned home, but I confess that it would be far preferable to eat here.”

“Be all means, Giedd, be our guest,” Bęthberry said. Giedd left Bęthberry to her work, wandering back to the bustle of the tavern. A few more patrons had woken, though there were still plenty of tables available for Giedd to choose from. She chose a table by the side of the room – not in the corner, but at the perfect angle to view all of the other diners and employees from afar. Giedd ordered coffee – though she already had enjoyed her tea at home – and a hearty breakfast.

Running through her list of chores for the day, Giedd realized that she had time to dawdle at the Inn. The girl serving her did not seem to be in a hurry to push her out, so, after she had eaten her breakfast, Giedd sat drinking her coffee and watching the fascinating visitors that always seemed to frequent the White Horse Inn.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:25 AM   #494
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Eodwine, Garreth, & Harreld

Eodwine was quiet, his mind still churning from Gudryn's answer to his question as to what kind of life she hoped for with him as her father. He was not ready to divulge the information to anyone yet, however. They ate breakfast together, Gudryn silently waiting for him to think over her reply. Falco was taking a morning stroll through the town.

Garreth and Harreld, the twin blacksmiths, joined Eodwine and Gudryn at their breakfast table. They were trading their usual barbs and double-wit-backs (no such thing as entendrés here) when a woman walked through the Great Room door carrying a stack of cloth.

Garreth and Harreld did not bother to be discreet, but watched her eagerly as she walked through to the kitchen, then back out into the Great Room again, to sit at a table in the corner with a mug of some strong smelling, dark steaming brew that she sipped at daintily.

"Who's that?" Garreth asked Ruthven, who sat at a nearby table.

"What's it to you what 'er name is?" Ruthven the rag lady challenged.

Garreth frowned. "You know well enough. I - um -" Garreth glanced at Eodwine, who watched him with growing amusement. "Eodwine here has declared he's seeking a wife."

"Oh come now, brother!" Harreld cuffed him on the shoulder. "Admit you're looking for your own hopes."

Garreth turned on his brother. "Admit it yourself first and maybe I will!" Harreld threw up his hands in a gesture of peace, and warding off a potential blow. Garreth turned back to Ruthven. "So what's her name?"

"Ask 'er yerself, you bumpkin."

Garreth went all red in the face. "Well," he stammered, "I'd prefer to be introduced."

"Maybe I'll go introduce you to her," Eodwine said, smiling. He stood up, as if ready to do the deed.

Garreth looked at him, startled. "You mean you're just going to walk over and introduce yourself?"

"Well, yes. To ask her name for the sake of my friends."

Garreth raised an eyebrow. "Oh. Well, while you're at it, how about asking her to join us?"

"I can do that," Eodwine said. "But what has suddenly made you the bashful one?"

"I'm not bashing nobody," Garreth said. "What are you talking about?"

Eodwine chuckled. "I'll go make the invitation." With that, he walked over to the table of the cloth woman.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 07-01-2005 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-02-2005, 03:04 PM   #495
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril Giedd returns with Eodwine

Giedd looked up from her coffee just in time to see a tall, fair man of some forty or so years approaching her table. An alarm rang in the back of her mind – she was about to find herself in a social situation unprepared. If only she had received some warning, then she could have asked one of the girls of the identity and nature of the man. She may have even been able to secure Bęthberry or Ruthven to be present with her. Well, in any event, it was too late now – the situation approached her as an inevitable chore. Best to make the most of it and, as her mother always said, “lift your skirts and make the jump.”

“Hello,” Giedd said quite loudly before she could control herself. People around her gave her an odd look and the man appeared nonplussed for a moment or two. He quickly regained his composure, though, far more adept at meeting people than she, while Giedd flushed, part of her wishing she could now just sink through the floor. The other half of her, however, was intrigued by this man and what interest he took in her.

“M’lady,” he said, “I couldn’t help but notice you’re sitting alone here. I wondered if you would be in want of company?”

“Your company?” Giedd asked, starting off shakily, but consciously changing her tone to a more hospitable one by the time she finished the last word. At least, she hoped it came across in that light.

“Well, my friends’ company – and yes, my company as well; if, of course, it pleases you.”

“All right,” Giedd said automatically, without thinking. She could have kicked herself. What possessed her to accept the invitation? For all she knew, she could be agreeing to dine with criminals. But this man did not look like a criminal. But then again, what did criminals look like? They did not all wear dark cloaks and hide in corners, waiting for unsuspecting parties. But no, this man did not look like a pickpocket – and there was a girl at the table he came from. He would not be with a child if he did not have good intentions.

“I am Eodwine,” the man said, extending his hand as Giedd rose, having made up her mind.

“Giedd,” she said, holding out her right hand, and then realizing she still carried the coffee in that hand. She put the cup down and held out her hand again. Eodwine had begun to laugh lightly. For some reason, this put Giedd better at ease. She smiled too and shook his hand. Once their hands broke apart, she took her cup back and followed Eodwine over to his table.

Giedd’s nerves began to overtake her again as she drew nearer to the table. However, she kept her eyes on the young girl when Eodwine introduced her to the other three members at the table – Garreth and Harreld, twins, and the Gudryn, the girl.

“Pleased to meet you,” Giedd said, keeping her eyes on Gudryn and not noticing the fairly intent gaze of Garreth. Giedd took a seat next to Eodwine, and looked around briefly. She noticed Ruthven at the next table. Giedd tried to wave to the woman, hoping to catch her attention and invite her to join the table, but Ruthven seemed to have either become deaf momentarily or was intent on some defect in her dress that Giedd could not see.

So, Giedd assessed her situation, finding herself among four strangers, and yet not feeling entirely uncomfortable. The twins appeared to have the spirit and talk of four in themselves, supplying for conversation even when Giedd could not. But there was something odd about Eodwine – something Giedd could not put her finger on; and still no one had told her the place of Gudryn amidst the four. So finally, when there was a momentary lull in the antics of the twins, Giedd voiced her question. She asked Gudryn, though any would have done, merely because she found it far easier to speak to the child than any of the men around her.

“Gudryn,” she began, “I am curious: what brings you in the company of three grown men? If it is not impolite for me to ask, that is – it is merely curiosity that sparks the question.” Giedd did not ask where Gudryn’s mother was, for fear she may already know the answer, but hoped that the story would also supply explanation for that query as well.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:38 AM   #496
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Saeryn had finished her morning meal in a quiet corner in the kitchen, mostly undisturbed but for a small cat that had pranced its way over to share with her. Once finished, she picked up her now barely warm cup of tea and made her way to the great hall, wondering if anyone has yet risen. She smiled when she saw the twins, Eodwine, and Gudryn, and frowned curiously at the new arrival.

Making her way to them, she slid comfortably and silently into the seat next to Gudryn, smiling at the girl. She had missed the question, but from the look of expectation on the stranger woman's face, she knew that a story may or may not be forthcoming. With this lot, she grinned, t'was most likely on it's way and simply looking for the right words to properly be told.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:51 AM   #497
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

In stacking the aprons and pinafores away in the large linen closet off the kitchen, Bethberry noticed tiny stains on them. She peered closer. Tiny drops of blood with a smear or two.

"Hmm," Bethberry thought to herself. "Giedd is still pricking herself with her needle." The Innkeeper sighed. She pulled the batch of new clothes out of the closet and dumped them in the laundry bin. She did miss the work of the seamstress Estelyn but she knew that Giedd needed the money. Perhaps her strategy of waiting and hoping that the woman would become more adept was not going to work. Bethberry disliked the thought of mentioning the problem to Giedd but she realised finally that she would have to. Wondering if the woman was still at the Horse, Bethberry sought the Great Hall, picking up a steaming mug of coffee on her way.

There, what did she spy! Why, if luck or fate would have it, there was Eodwine introducing himself to the very woman she had thought of when he sought her advice about a wife. But what a titter was about their table! Garreth and Harreld were puffing and huffing and turning a dozen shades of blush and rising from their chairs and bowing and knocking heads and laughing in that nervous kind of way. Eodwine was escorting Giedd to their table, with Gudryn shyly hanging her head. What a way to start the affair!

Bethberry greeted the table cheerily. "The sun rises warmly on our endeavours today. Good morn, Eodwine. How is the family today?" With that comment, she smiled warmly at Gudryn. "And our twin hereos, are they prepared to find their fate and lady loves?" The twins glared at her and so Bethberry decided a strategic retreat was called for. With a nod and smile, she took a seat beside Ruthven, whose eyes were brimming with wicked humour even at this early hour, and waited for Eodwine to reply. Or anyone, really. It was the kind of morning when the best laid plans went stray.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:36 PM   #498
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White Tree Gudryn

"Is that what you wish, my daughter?" Eodwine prompted. She nodded, looking up at him with big hopeful eyes. He smiled, but sighed sadly. "I'll have to give some thought to that. You see," he took one of her hands in his two, "it might be that I could buy a horse and train you to ride and come with me on my errands. Indeed, it might be a great adventure for the both of us. But if you are to have a mother also, it looks to my mind's eye that things change, for then we would be a party of three and move slower than the King needs. So maybe 'tis a choice between a mother and my role with the King. I do not know for certain. Which would you rather have, Gudryn?"

She pondered for a moment, uncertain to what her choice would lead to.

"I think for now," she paused biting the bottom of her lip, "for now perhaps it may be best for it to be just the two of us, we shouldn't move to quickly with these big decisions, a loving wife for you and a mother for me is a mighty step for both of us to take, and we still have so much to learn from one another", she looked up at her father and smiled at him in wonder. Eodwine's adopted daughter could not help but be in awe of her Father's kindness and strength.

"Is that your choice then?" he asked kindly smiling back. Gudryn nodded and replied, "but don't be dissauded from looking for a love you may find it in the most strangest of places".

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*

A curious woman came back with Eodwine after they had shared a few words with one another. She seated herself close to Gudryn and asked.

“Gudryn,” she began, “I am curious: what brings you in the company of three grown men? If it is not impolite for me to ask, that is – it is merely curiosity that sparks the question.” Giedd did not ask where Gudryn’s mother was, for fear she may already know the answer, but hoped that the story would also supply explanation for that query as well.

Gudryn frowned slightly then gave a small smile to reassure the woman that nothing was entirely wrong. "I came to this place under tragic circumstances I will admit, but the kindness of strangers showed me that not all hope was lost. That is how Eodwine became my father for I know not what happened to my birth parents, and yet I feel the worst has come to them."

Gudryn began to unfold the full story of what had occured recently at the Inn, with many a shout of triumph at the outcasting of Rand. She sipped at her tea and smiled sheepishly at the woman.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:11 PM   #499
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Eodwine

"I came to this place," said Gudryn to the Lady Giedd, "under tragic circumstances I will admit, but the kindness of strangers showed me that not all hope was lost. That is how Eodwine became my father for I know not what happened to my birth parents, and yet I feel the worst has come to them."

While Gudryn continued to relate the things that had happened over the last few days, Eodwine narrowed his eyes and gave thought. Gudryn had said far less than she might have about her past. Could it be that she chose to forget it, choosing instead to think only on that which was happening now? He could not blame her if it was so. Still, his curiosity was now awakened. What had happened to her parents? Had Rand killed them? Likely enough. Or had they sold her to him out of the duress of penury? That seemed less likely, but not impossible. Had she been born in the same village as Rand, or had she been born elsewhere and taken to his village?

Eodwine sighed. What did it matter? Did such questions need answers? He was not sure. She seemed to be recovering well from her wounds; at least, the outward wounds to her body, and she seemed to be eating well, though she was still not much more than skin and bone, a starvling waif. And she was so sweet natured! That was what had melted his heart. Somehow, despite all she had endured, their was a wholesomeness to her. It was as if she was a diamond, and not all the mud and abuse Rand could put to it, could touch it.

Eodwine shook his head slightly. No. Surely she was made of softer stuff than the hardest stone short of mithril. It might not be seen now, but days would come when the wounds on the inside, those of thought and heart, revealed themselves. Let them come, he thought. I will care for her when she is in such throes as surely as I would defend her with sword against rogues.

Gudryn looked up at him, smiling, her big eyes searching for sign of his care. He returned her smile and laid his free hand upon her head, brushing back a stray strand of hair.

Garreth and Harreld had been carrying on, exaggerrating their own part in the fight against Rand while Falco demonstrated his excellent marksmanship with a bun sailing right into the hearthfire, at which Bęthberry gave out a vehement protest against the waste of good food.

Eodwine cast a single glance at the Lady Giedd during all this commotion, at which time she happened to be looking directly at him. He smiled and raised his cup, and she smiled back, then looked away, occupied seemingly with the antics of Garreth, who seemed incapable of speaking in a normal tone of voice, let alone whispering. Eodwine sipped from his mug.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:44 AM   #500
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Ruthven had been cackling gleefullyand whispering things in Bethberry's ear when the bun went sailing past their heads right into the fire. Bethberry turned to find the miscreant who had lobbed the foodstuff, but Falco was seated head down, deep in his breakfast dish, with his mouth stuffed full of Herreld's bun. Garreth was pointing vociferously towards Falco in a heroic manner, as if to object to this monumental disruption of courtesy and good manners. Unfortunately, his arm knocked Herreld, who was busy remonstrating with the halfling, pulling on Falco's arm as if to regain his breakfast. Being knocked half over, Herreld pulled too hard, too fast, and Falco's arm went flinging out across the table, knocking Eodwine's mug from his hands and spilling its contents out onto Giedd's lap.

Bethberry sat there quietly, her face a mask of composure, seeing the truth of her concern for good manners borne out by the antics of the ragamuffins in her midst.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:09 PM   #501
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Eodwine

Eodwine leaped to his feet, sending his chair careening to the floor behind him. The lady Giedd was staring, dumbfounded, at her ale-sopped dress. "Lady, I do apologize for my part in your predicament. Is there anything I can do?"

She stammered, "Get Bęthberry."

"Of course." He turned to Bęthberry, who was sitting next to Ruthven, both of whom were shaking their heads (although Ruthven's frame was bouncing with laughter). "Lady Innkeeper, the Lady Giedd has asked for your assistance," he grinned in embarrassment, "for obvious reasons." He then turned his eyes, glowering, at the threesome who had caused the unfortunate chain of events. "'Tis no wonder women stay far from the three of you. You've yet to leave your boyhoods behind!"

"Now Master Eodwine," Garreth remonstrated, "we're most sorry for the plight the fair lady finds herself in, and 'tis true we had a part in it, but you've no business calling us mere boys!"

"Yes you are!" Harreld said loudly. "If I'm not here to watch you, there's no knowing what trouble you'll find for yourself! And worse, somehow you always manage to pull me into the soup with you! It ain't right." Harreld crossed his arms and frowned mightily.

Falco guffawed.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:03 AM   #502
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Saeryn glanced uncaringly at her clothing. Surprisingly, her breeches and blouse had entirely avoided the mess. She wiped a splash of something unidentifiable off of her hand and grinned.

"M'lady Giedd, I think I have some dry clothing that would fit you, at least until your own are no longer playing host to breakfast." She smiled the question.

"My apoligies, young miss, but I'm afraid I missed your name. Who might you be?" Saeryn froze, thinking quickly. Though her recollection was nearly what it had been before the fall, she most certainly preferred that her identity remain safely inconspicuous. Where was Degas when she needed his quick wits? He was the morning person, not her, and yet she'd seen him not even when she infiltrated his room in the early hours to borrow a shirt.

"My name is Saeryn." she replied with a friendly smile. "I have been travelling and this seemed as good a place as any to stop for a time."

"As good a place as any," Falco repeated. "Why you said that you'd been here with--" Saeryn glared with a look that could cut glass.

"I said that my brother had been, and that I'd had word of the Inn's quality through him. In my travels, I came across The White Horse, and decided to stay for awhile. Might I find you something dry, m'lady?"
Old 07-24-2005, 03:29 PM   #503
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril Giedd's Change

“I daresay you might,” Giedd said, a note of relief in her voice. On a normal day, Giedd would most likely have enjoyed the predicament of such a lady from afar. She probably would have laughed at the poor young woman, but been the one to offer the clothing, as this new girl – Saeryn, she said her name was – did. She looked down at her clothing again as she followed Saeryn back to her accommodations. Giedd had noticed the brief exchange between Saeryn and Falco, but decided not to press anything – it seemed as though all of these people had their secrets, and Giedd was not about to be the one to try to force them to relive their histories, as they did not seem to contain entirely pleasant recollections.

Giedd followed the girl into her room. The rooms in the White Horse were always pleasant, Giedd thought. Bęthberry certainly did a good job seeing that even those who had the least to contribute to secure a room had a comfortable experience. Giedd smiled again as she looked around. Saeryn soon handed Giedd some clean attire, then excusing herself to allow Giedd some privacy to change.

After she donned the dry clothing, Giedd paused, mildly wondering whether she dared request that Bęthberry take charge of cleaning the old frock. Giedd was perfectly capable of doing such things on her own, but it had been such an…odd day thus far. Nothing was normal – the least of which involved meeting this man Eodwine, and becoming so immersed in the conversations and arguments of complete strangers. Giedd had never found herself to be an interesting person – her most recent occupation before she took up that of a seamstress had been the care of her parents.

Giedd paused before surrendering Saeryn’s room back to the rightful occupant. She looked around once again at the room. Never had she stayed in a hotel, for she had never traveled outside of the walls of her own city. To be quite honest with herself, Giedd had never seen a reason to do so. Her brother Rynan came to visit her if he wished, and his company, along with that of his wife, was plenty.

Meanwhile, it seems that the people she had now taken up conversation with traveled regularly. Giedd wondered idly if now was not the time to venture out into the world? She was not young and had no knowledge of what lay outside Rohan, but these people seemed to have more adventure in their lives than she did. Certainly, adventure was not everything: look at how so many of them responded to personal questions with silence and sorrow! They all seemed to have dark pasts – darker than Giedd’s certainly. Did she really want to introduce such things into her life right now?

Giedd forced herself out of her reverie without answering the last question she posed for herself. After gathering her soiled clothing in her arms, she turned and left the room, where she found Saeryn awaiting her.

“Everything fits sufficiently?” Saeryn verified, smiling at Giedd.

“Yes. And thank you ever so much,” Giedd said, smiling back warmly. “I think I am also fully prepared to venture back out into the rowdiness, if it has not subsided.”

“I doubt it has,” Saeryn said, shrugging slightly, although she led the way back. “Unless Bęthberry has put her foot down.”

Giedd followed Saeryn back out to the waiting group. Though there seemed to now be a semblance of order, Giedd was not prepared to bet any of her earnings that it would last for long. She had a feeling that trouble followed many of the men involved in the soiling of her clothing – an innocent sort of trouble, more along the lines of mischief, but nonetheless, a trouble she would have to ready herself for if she planned on spending too much more time with them.

Bęthberry intercepted Giedd almost immediately, a rather grim look on her face, though she still demonstrated the greatest civility.

“I do apologize, Giedd,” she said. “I hope that, as the intrusion occurred here, you will allow me to see to it that these,” she indicated to Giedd’s folded clothes, “are sufficiently cleaned for you?”

“Thank you!” Giedd exclaimed, surprised despite her inner hope that this would be Bęthberry’s offer. “I mean, yes, that – that would be lovely, in fact.” She handed over the clothing to Bęthberry, who in turn handed them to a girl and gave her brief instructions.

Second to greet her was Eodwine. Initially, he greeted her with the deepest concern, but, upon finding her once again in good spirits, he smiled.

Giedd looked at this smile as she rejoined the table, where all of the ruffians simultaneously apologized and accused one another of causing the disturbance. Looking at Eodwine, Giedd decided that it would be worth the danger of reliving such a disaster to converse with such a smile. She found herself, in fact, smiling back at Eodwine while she contemplated this notion.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:40 PM   #504
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
A chance meal

As the delicious smells of breakfast wafted through the open kitchen window of the white horse inn, a young girl who had stopped only to rest her wary cracked, bare feet, sat on the low wall to rear of the inn hungrily breathing in the mouth-watering smells. A decision she regretted instantly as her stomach tightened in pain, protesting at it’s long emptiness. It had been several days now since she had last managed to salvage something half edible and it was beginning to tell on her, the rags she wore now practically hung off her skinny malnourished frame that only the tatty brown shawl that she wrapped so tightly around herself seemed to keep them in place.

Fat wet tears streaked her dusty face as she looked longingly at the inn she was so tired and hungry but what little money she had once owned had long gone, but she could not go back not after … she swallowed hard not wishing to relive that night , the night she had been forced to leave her home and her country. Hugging tight the long heavy object hidden beneath her shawl she sobbed quietly wondering what her father if he where still alive would think of what she had done and what she had become.

The sound of a door opening and voices floating on the morning air startled her out of her shame and self pity she quickly hid behind the wall not wishing to be noticed and watch as someone she thought must be the inns cook carry a large pot of scrap food across the yard . ‘oh no a compost heap!’ she sighed disappointedly, watching as the woman heaped the contents of the pot onto the already rotting vegetation. She did not relishing the thought of raking through decomposed vegetables searching for something half edible. But as she watched and as luck would have it the woman returned across the yard with something tucked under her arm, bread by the looks of it and sure enough putting down the pot the woman from the inn began to tear off strips and throw them to the waiting birds, but before she could finish a call from within the inn disturbed her and putting down the bread she turned and re-entered the inn.

Seeing her chance the young girl scrambled over the wall, snatched up the bread and ran hoping to find somewhere quiet to enjoy this chance meal. But weakened with hunger and lack of sleep she only made it as far as the inn’s stables, However finding it quiet she carefully snuck inside and finding an empty stall at the far end of the row she collapsed on the straw and began eating hungrily at the day old bread.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:36 AM   #505
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Saeryn smiled to see the happy faces on Eodwine and Giedd. She excused herself politely and, taking a pair of apples, headed to the stables.

Surely my dearest is well cared for, but there's no thing better than to cosset her every so often. And after she guarded me after the fall...

Saeryn entered the stables silently to the calming sounds of horses. Though it was still quite early, these were mounts of Rohan, and as such, had the love of cantering through the tall grasses as a born trait. She wanted to take out her mare for a brisk morning run, but after the head injury... she fingered the bruise, all but disappeared, yet still tender. T'was not such a good idea. She entered the stall and ran her fingers along her horse's jaw line, caressing her silky fur. The mare butted her playfully, smelling the apples that Saeryn held hidden behind her back. She gave in easily and handed the mare one, finger combing imaginary snarls in her mane.

A quiet sound interrupted her.

"Hello?" she called. "Is there anybody in here?"
Old 07-25-2005, 01:28 PM   #506
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Eodwine sees a change

"I am glad to see that my offensive cup has done you no more damage than a stain soon gone," Eodwine greeted the lady Giedd with a smile as she returned from Saeryn's room in a new dress. The dress was such that a young woman might wear. Eodwine took note that though Giedd was doubtless ten, maybe even twenty years Saeryn's senior, the dress became her. An enchantment, after a fashion, for dress and wearer seemed one, so well it fit her. In fact, Eodwine saw that she was fair to look upon, which her own day-clothes had hidden.

Eodwine held out her chair for her and she sat, giving him another smile of thanks.

"What a pretty dress!" Gudryn exclaimed. Giedd thanked the girl.

Eodwine sat down and still smiling, looked at the lady Giedd. It was not as if he had been dead to the world, but he suddenly felt as if he had woken up, for here sitting near him was a woman who was the wife of no man, was not too young nor too old, and she was not ugly - far from it - and he had just been talking earlier of how he needed a mother for his foster-daughter, a wife for himself. And here was this woman. She looked his way and flushed at the attention, and looked at the table before her. Eodwine did not look away.

"Tell me, lady Giedd, where do you live in Edoras? May I hear of your family?"

"Aye, Lady," said Garreth loudly, "tell us somewhat about yourself!"

Eodwine glanced at Garreth briefly, then looked back at Giedd. Gudryn's eyes were wide, darting back and forth between the woman and her foster-father. Yes, she had woken to the same thought as had see, it seemed. He winked at her and was rewarded with a big grin. Gudryn then turned to the lady Giedd.

"Yes, Lady, please do tell us all about yourself!"
Old 07-25-2005, 02:32 PM   #507
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril Giedd opens up

Giedd felt all eyes fall upon her as Gudryn too insisted that she relate her history.

“Well,” she faltered at first, “There is not much to tell about myself. But I will tell what little there is.”

When she started speaking, Giedd found herself halting every few moments, as though afraid she would spoil the tale. A few minutes into her tale, however, she found her voice growing stronger – the rest of the table seemed to melt away. She found that her voice came louder if she looked at Gudryn and, to her surprise, at Eodwine during the fairly unexciting recount of her life until this point.

“I’ve lived my entire life here,” Giedd started, “I do have an older brother – Rynan. He is five years older than I. He has a wife and two children. I do not see him as much as I did years ago – he is busy with his new life. He lives in a town not too far from Edoras, but far enough that it is a hassle to visit regularly. The two of us were raised within the walls of this city. My father worked at odd jobs all his life. We weren’t rich, but I guess you could say we were comfortable enough – we certainly were never in want of food or shelter. My mother took good enough care of us, and we played with the other children in the town.

“Fifteen years ago, when I was only twenty-three, Rynan met his wife. She was the daughter of a neighbor of ours. After her parents died, she and Rynan decided to move out of the city. That left me alone with my parents. They started growing older, and they looked to me to take care of them. My father had a little put away, so I did not have to struggle to find serious work while I cared for them.

“I spent most of my time caring for my parents – up until five years ago. Hyldo, my mother, died then – it was of old age, and she went gracefully. However, that killed what was left of the spark in Frécne, my father. He lived for his wife. Three years ago, he too passed away. It was not particularly traumatizing,” she paused and scratched her nose absently, then resumed her story, “I had been expecting their deaths for a while. To me, they were, in fact, rather like corpses to care for. Though they avoided illness in old age, it did not treat them well.

“We buried Frécne next to Hyldo – Rynan came back into town with his wife and children. He stayed with me for a bit, but then he had to return to his own business. That was when I realized I would have to start caring for myself. I was able to stay in my parents’ house, so I did not have to look for an abode of my own.

“I suppose I kind of fell into sewing. I know I am no master at it, but it supplements what little I make caring for children while their mothers are away.”

“You care for children?” Garreth interrupted. He received a sharp look from Eodwine, and he quickly fell quiet.

“Yes – mothers pay me to watch their children while they go to market and the like,” Giedd smiled at Gudryn. The girl returned the smile brightly. “I guess I just spent so much of my life caring for others, that it’s kind of what I know how to do. It is nice, though, caring for children rather than the aged and dying. Watching people in the spring of their lives is far preferable to watching autumn move to winter. Both ages have their glory, but death still always has a melancholy ring to it.”

Giedd paused for a moment, frowning now. Her life really did seem like a pattern, caring for others.

“But you never married?” Giedd found herself shaken out of her reverie.

“No, I did not,” she said, still frowning slightly.

“Was it by choice?” Garreth obviously did not intend any rudeness in his curiosity – rather like a child in his frankness, Giedd thought. This led her to smile at him as well.

“Well, I always intended on marrying when I was younger. When my brother got married, I figured it would soon be my turn. I problem was that – I don’t know. I suppose I assumed that a husband would find me. Now I know it does not work that way. Not only because of my own experience, but because I have seen young ladies that have offered their services, helping care for children with me to make an extra bit of money for their families. They never really just ‘fell into marriage,’ the way I always assumed it would be. They actually went out looking – searching for a husband, and trying until they found one. I was just never that aggressive. Now, I suppose, it’s too late.

“The thought of being alone does not depress me, necessarily,” Giedd found herself continuing, “It would be nice to have someone, but, if that is not what is to be, then there are worse things in life. Though I may come home to an empty house at night, I am not strictly alone during the day. I enjoy caring for children, and I have friends in the mothers that leave their young ones with me. Many of the women,” she mused, “Were playmates of mine when we were younger.”

Giedd trailed off again, thinking about the women she knew that had families – sometimes children preparing to be married themselves – and the times they had when they were children. The table fell silent. Garreth looked like he might want to say something again, but seemed to be wary in pushing his luck with Eodwine.

“Well,” Giedd said, smiling. The silence had become unbearable to her. “That is my story. There is far less mystery to it than many – there are no portions of my life I am ashamed of, I regret to say, so I have no need to hide any part of it. Does that sate your curiosity, Gudryn, or is there more you desire to know? And I do not mean that as any sort of reprimand: I suppose, now that I am finished with my tale, I leave myself open to further questioning from anyone.” Giedd looked around the table at the men and especially Garreth, who still looked as though he was struggling with himself – wondering whether it was safe to comment.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:34 AM   #508
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
The young girl ate hungrily ripping great chunks off with her teeth and barely chewing before swallowing the stale bread, which rasped at the back of her dry throat as it went down. But she did not care, she was just so grateful to be at last filling at least a little of the gapping hole that sat painfully in her stomach. Out of the corner of her eye she spotted a fair sized wooden watering bucket nestled amongst the straw next to the stall door, barely able to contain herself she scrambled forwards on her hands and knees and peered over the rim. Unable to believe her luck she stared for a moment at her grimy reflection in the still clear water, then plunging her hands in the cold water she eagerly brought some up to her dry, cracked lips. The water had barely passed her lips when an enquiring voice startled her.

“Hello? Is there anybody in here?”

Ćňelhild froze like a frightened deer wide eyed with fear. So eager had she been to stave her hunger and quench her thirst that she had not heard anyone enter the stable. what if it was the owner of the bread she had just eaten come to find what had become of if …..what if someone had seen her enter the stable…..or the stable mistress…or… or ? As these thoughts and more filled her mind she panicked, her dark frightened eyes desperately searching for a means of escape. However without moving and giving herself away she could not see anything passed the walls of the stall she had chosen to hide in.

Silently wishing she had had sense to chose a better hiding place, she simply closed her eyes and held her breath shrinking as small as she could hoping beyond hope that whoever it was would simply think they had imagined her rustlings or even better attribute it to one of the horses currently inhabiting the stables.

Last edited by Nerindel; 07-26-2005 at 05:41 AM.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:20 AM   #509
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

At the sound of her voice, the sounds had all but disappeared. Saeryn stepped from Dawndancer's stall and looked toward the direction of the conspicuously absent noise.

Perhaps a horse? she thought. Or did I not hear mention of a litter of kittens?

She moved down the line of stalls, stopping to caress each horse and to look in the stall. If there were kittens in there, she would move them. Accidents happened with horses' hooves, and she did not desire to find the younglings too late.

She stroked the nose of a handsome gelding. His fur gleamed golden in the morning light. A slight rustle sounded from the stall opposite. Saeryn turned, crossing the aisle in a few short steps. A small girl knelt huddled in a corner. If will could make one invisible, she surely wouldn't have been there.

"Here little girl," said Saeryn softly. "what's wrong? I thought you were a kitten." She smiled, offering the second apple to the terrified child.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:29 PM   #510
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Goldwine, who styles himself Prince of Cats, doth return

I licked my pink nose as I contemplated the White Horse Inn. Long had it been since I had stayed here, and, if truth be revealed, I could not remember if it had changed much. We felines care little for remembering that which is nostalgic in nature -- we care about the breeze upon a warm sunny day, or recalling a particular patch of dirt which is perfect for a lovely roll (though I usually deferred such pleasure in the company of humans, for the dirt tends to tarnish my auriferous coat), and, of course, we care mostly about ourselves. But that is niether here nor there...

The first thing to do now that I had arrived was to groom away all signs of travel and once more allow my glorious fur to glisten and shine in the bright sun. (You will not imagine how thankful I am that I was not arrayed in a sable coat, which the sun tends to dull and fade. But with my own golden fur, the sun seems to compliment it instead of destroying its beauty.) Grooming one's self is pure pleasure...I still cannot fathom why some of my human acquaintances are reluctant to take baths (which is their coarse version of grooming).

Once done with this, I sauntered towards a building that seemed to be some sort of stable. I sniffed the air delicately...ah yes, there it was. The distinct emanation of horse. My lips curled in distaste, and I wrapped my slender golden tail about my paws. Horses are -- ah how to put it in a way which does not violate my dignity -- bereft of all sort of eloquence and grace. Of course, what could one expect with such clumsy lumps of wood that served as feet. Why, they even had to suffer the indignity of wearing shoes. I could not help but laugh at the thought. Of course there were some horses that were distinguished from their common fellows, such as the Mearas, but they did not count in my general assessment of horses in general.

I yawned mightily. I was weary with my travels, and a warm puddle of sunlight beckoned to me. I licked my paws, layed down right down in the middle of it and gave myself up to sleep.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:43 AM   #511
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

As Ćňelhild slowly uncurled herself to face the voice addressing her Saeryn stepped back slightly surprise, for this was no mere child as first appeared but a girl of nearly 15 yrs. However Ćňelhild neither noticed the surprised look or the warm smile that followed, she was staring hungrily at the delicious red apple in the woman’s outstretched hand, debating whether or not to take it. However her stomach decided for her as it let out another pained rumble, quickly snatching the fruit before the owner had chance to changed her mind she lowered her eyes and mumbled a quick thanks before biting into it’s crisp red skin. Within seconds only the core of the apple remained , wiping her mouth with the back of her grimy hand Ćňelhild again thanked the stranger.

“your quite welcome” the young woman smiled and this time Ćňelhild looked up to see bright auburn curls framing the woman’s friendly face and to her relief the woman’s eyes mirrored her smile with no hidden suspicion but a slight gleam of curiosity.

“What are you doing in here?” the auburn haired woman asked softly.

“I…I..I only wanted to rest a while,” Ćňelhild stammered defensively pulling back as the stranger came to kneel beside her.

“it’s ok , my name is Saeryn, what’s yours?” the young woman asked still smiling pleasantly.

“Ćň…” she began encouraged by the woman’s friendly manner and genuine interest, but stopped remembering her plight and weighing the danger of her name being overheard by others who would carry it back to…. Oh she could not even bare to think of it. “Ćňel, my name is Ćňel,” she quickly replied with a weak uncertain smile of her own.

“Your not the stable master are you?” she asked nervously biting her lower lip as she regarded at the woman‘s almost masculine attire, “I wasn’t going to stay long, I swear I wasn’t, I am just so tired.” she quickly explained, choosing not to rely the tale of the stolen bread. “But I will go if you tell me too.” she said, again lowering her eyes to stare at the golden straw beneath her tired aching bones.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:39 AM   #512
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Shield

Ruthven spoke up for Giedd.

"It's a fair life and not much different from that of many other women here. I'll tell you, Giedd, that I've heard from the mothers of the bairns you watch for that they are thankful for your services. It takes a village to raise young 'uns these days."

Giedd looked up at the rag lady, sitting nearby with Bethberry. She blushed at the woman's words.

Then the old woman turned to Garreth. "You're mighty interested in the lady, lad. Are you not much aware of how the town runs itself, of how the womenfolk organise their lives?" Ruthven knew she was cutting Eodwine off from a chance to speak more, but she thought he might in fact relish a little competition for the woman's attention, given the look she saw in his eye. She nudged Bethberry, who pretended to look away and, doing so, saw something out the window, through the stable door.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:37 PM   #513
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Garreth holds forth

Ruthven said, "You're mighty interested in the lady, lad. Are you not much aware of how the town runs itself, of how the womenfolk organise their lives?"

Garreth put down his mug. "Well now that you speak of it, Harreld and me, we're both in our smithy when we're not in our beds or supping. The men what come to us for their needs don't much talk about what the womenfolk do. Seems they prefer to chew on their own cud 'stead of some other, if you take my meaning."

"Garreth," Falco Boffin said, making a face, "that was such a disgusting example that it turned my stomach. Now I don't know if I'll be able to handle second breakfast."

Garreth rolled his eyes at Falco and looked down his intellectual nose at him. "It was an ana- um an anal- um. What do you call them things?"

"Oh, go now," Harreld said, shoving his brother by the shoulder. "You never used such big words afore. What're you up to? Trying to impress the lady?" At that Harreld gave Giedd a wink.

Garreth slapped Harreld upside the head. "'Twas a figger of speech, you useless append- um - rat's tail!"

"Who're you calling a rat's tail? You ninny!" said Harreld.

"Why, I'll ninny you!" Garreth retorted.

"Men, men!" cried Eodwine, waving his hands to calm them. "There's a lady present!"

"And I would be observing it," cried Harreld, "if my twin here didn't stick both feet in his mouth every other minute!" Harreld's eyes were as fierce as his words, but his smirk gave him away.

"And you thought my figger o' speech was a problem! Both feet in my mouth," grumbled Garreth. Then he looked at Giedd square in the face. "You see, lady, it's this way. Harreld and me, we're not wed, an' we're halfway through our thirties. We need us a wife." Harreld held up two fingers in front of Garreth's face. "Well, right. Two wives. One for each of us, to be exact. So it is that whenever we see a lady here at the inn, whether young or not so young, we take notice."

"You should do less taking notice," said Falco drily, "and do more learning how to behave with a lady. Might take the edge off all that womanless smithying way of yours."

"There, you see?" Harreld pointed to Falco. "Isna' that just what I've been saying to you all along? But nooooo! You keep on saying if'n a lady won't take us as is, she ain't worth takin'. Well, mebbe a woman can't see through all the smith to see us as is. Ever think of that!"

Garreth stared at Harreld wide eyed. "Lor', man, you've gone an' found your tongue!"
Old 07-28-2005, 04:12 PM   #514
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

"The stable master?" Saeryn repeated, baffled. She caught the slight diversion of the girl's eyes and looked to her own attire. She laughed, smiling. "The breeches I wear to ride, or, if you'll believe it," she whispered carefully, trying to gain the girl's trust, "when I do not wish to be well-noticed. A girl in man's attire tends to give others food for thought, but as they may be uncomfortable thoughts, they are quickly forsaken. The shirt... I was recently hurt. I borrowed the shirt from my brother... it is looser and does not press against my shoulder."

The girl watched her, wide-eyed.

"I will not ask you to leave." Saeryn was kneeling before the girl. "Ćňel, if you would not mind, I would like you to be my guest for breakfast. I am lonely amongst these brawny lads, and it seems that Eodwine, whose friendship and protection I treasure, has his thoughts elsewhere. I would appreciate the company. Surely you would wish to clean up. You could borrow some of my belongings until you have a chance to find your other clothes." she added tactfully, though perhaps foolishly so.

She looked carefully at the girl, sure that any quick movement would spook her more quickly than a deer in the twilight.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:46 AM   #515
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

“Breakfast” Ćňelhild nervously repeated, slightly surprised and a little weary of the woman’s offer. In her experience nothing was ever free and she could not help but wonder if a little company would be the only payment the woman would exact from her. But the smells of the inn still sat fresh in her mind, and she found herself thinking how nice it would be to eat something proper, something hot and to wash she thought looking down at her dirt covered hands and remembering the almost unrecognisable reflection in the water. She grimaced as her eyes fell on the tattered skirts that she had long ago given up trying to repair, then slowly she looked up at the woman’s warm eyes and expectant smile and nodded.

“I..I should like that very much, but I have no way to repay you and these are the only clothes that I own,” she replied sadly again lowering her eyes.

“That it is alright I think your company should be payment enough,” Saeryn answered softly offering a friendly hand to help her up. Ćňelhild stared at it for a moment, then hesitantly putting out her own hand she let the woman help her to her feet.

But just as they turned to leave the stall Ćňelhild stopped , “oh wait!” she exclaimed turning back and dropping to her knees in the straw. She searched for something, something she had put down as she ate the stale bread. Hastily pushing the straw away she lifted a long bulky object wrapped clumsily in what looked like an old rag, gold peeped through here and there where the material was worn or ripped but quickly she hid it under her shawl, hugging it almost lovingly as she rose to rejoined Saeryn.

“All I have left of my fathers!” she muttered in quick explanation, averting her eyes as she walked a few steps ahead to avoid any further questions on the matter.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:15 AM   #516
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

As Saeryn led the girl to the Inn's back doors, she chatted with her quietly. "Do not worry about any payment, dear... All I ask for is what I did before... a small bit of company that isn't worried about marriage." She rolled her eyes in an obviously friendly way and continued. "As for the clothes... if you do not object, you may take something of mine. You may not believe me, but I daresay I have too many clothes for my own good. After all, you can only wear one dress at a time, and I rarely wear them at all." The girl's eyes widened, not sure if she should laugh. Saeryn gestured to her garb, the breeches knicked as she left her home, the blouse borrowed unknowingly from her brother.

"Come, this way." Saeryn had taken the quiet route intentionally, ignoring the loud voices from the great hall. The girls padded through the halls making as much noise as so many ghosts. They reached her door and she pushed it open, beckoning the girl forward. She motioned toward an already open bag with its contents slightly strewn laying upon her bed. A beautifully embroidered gown lay at the bottom, but Saeryn hoped the girl would not reach far enough to discover it. Though she was as welcome to wear that, should she choose, as anything else, it spoke of nobility and gold, and that was not particularly the introduction that Saeryn desired of herself. She would have to find a way to discreetly discard anything that spoke of her parentage. She scolded herself briefly for coming so very close again to a stranger discovering her identity. She much preferred the role of mysterious peasant girl than run-away noble.

"Anything you like from there. I'll wait for you outside."
She closed the door behind her and closed her eyes. Please, she thought, if the lass has the wit to learn my secrets, let her keep them close.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:18 PM   #517
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

As the door closed behind her Ćňelhild’s rich brown eyes swept around the modest room, finally returning to the very inviting looking bed upon which Saeryn’s possessions where partially strewn. She dare not touch anything for fear of soiling them with her dirt covered hands, so turning slightly she walked over to a rather ordinary looking dressing table upon which sat a very large and very flowery basin with matching pitcher. Thankfully the pitcher was still full of fresh clear water, So carefully putting down the object cradled under her shawl against the side of the dresser, she slowly lifted it. It felt unordinary heavy to her thin weak arms, but she managed to pour the water into the basin without much difficulty. Returning the pitcher she then unravelled herself from her shawl and removed what was left of her dress, so that she stood only in a very grey looking petticoat.

She washed hurriedly, the water cold against her pale white skin. Catching her reflection in a large dressing mirror to her right she gasped and stared in disbelief at the face looking back at her. Thin and drawn, pale like snow she barely believed it was her own reflection. Nothing like the vibrant young girl who had once skipped gaily through Gondor’s city streets, carefree and oblivious to the horrors in the world, a world she had once thought would never touch her. Believing Her father a captain of Gondor would always be there to keep her and Gondor safe from such evils. With a pained sigh at the memory of her father she purposely turned away and moved towards the bed and the assortment of clothes Saeryn had kindly said that she could choose from.

Remembering what Saeryn had said in the stables about her rather manly appearance and her own need to remain unnoticed Ćňelhild rummaged though the garments and the bag looking to see if the woman owned a second pair of breeches that she could borrow. But alas none could be found only an assortment of simple every day dresses and skirts and a few brightly coloured blouses. Slightly disappointed Ćňelhild let the bag slip from her hands to the floor, but as it did she thought she saw something, a glint of light. Reaching into the bottom of the bag she pulled out the most beautiful dress she had ever seen, light and soft like gossamer it almost shone in the sparse sunlight that filtered in through the open window. Holding it carefully against her body she looked again in the mirror it was beautiful and the fine gold embroidery told her that it belonged to someone of some importance or wealth. But again remembering Saeryn’s odd appearance she looked to the closed door with a puzzled frown. She did not look like any noble woman that she had ever met and she had met a fair few, vain creatures concerned with beauty and wealth and always looking to snare a wealthy husband or so her father had always described them. “Never allow yourself my little Ćňel to fall into the deceitful webs of court with all it‘s trappings, always be yourself my little one” her eyes closed as she remembered her fathers words, his wide loving grin and the way he would playfully press her nose when giving good advice. Opening her eyes and shaking her head she turned back to the mirror. “I guess we all have our secrets” she sighed deciding not to dwell on how the woman came to have such a fine garment, instead opting with care to return it to the bottom of the bag where she found it. She wished to avoid any talk of nobility or court that could eventually lead to her dark secret being discovered.

Hearing the shifting of feet outside the door and realising how much time had already passed she picked out a clean petticoat and the first dress that came to hand and hurriedly dressed . It was a simple garment and plain to the eye which suited Ćňelhild just fine, It fitted well and the rich brown of the fabric seemed to match her eyes beautifully. It felt good to be clean again and even though her hair was still a tangled mess Ćňelhild did not care it had been nearly a year since she had left with nothing but the dress that now lay heaped on the floor, what little gold was in her pocket and her fathers swor…. Suddenly as if only remembering that she had put it down, she crossed the room to where she had set it down . A little of the wrapping had slipped to reveal a ornately engraved pommel at the centre of which sat a beautiful white stag, quickly she covered it, before calling in her small voice that she ready.

As the door opened and Saeryn walked in ,she stood nervously chewing on her lower lip and hugging her fathers sword in her arms. “well, what do you think?” she whispered hoping for the woman’s approval.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:55 AM   #518
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Saeryn smiled to see the girl clean and dressed. Her eyes carried a question and unwittingly, Saeryn answered it. "You look very pretty. The color becomes you." She glanced inside for a moment, eyes sweeping the room undetectably. She sighed with relief that her revealing gown was not in sight. The girl had not detected it. It had been foolish to allow a stranger, no matter how much she trusted the mysterious girl, to come so close to her. Though those who had been at the Inn when she arrived tired and hungry some days before had found out her story... or at least parts, she interrupted herself... it would not do to leave a clear and public trail for anyone to follow who would. Especially this half-forgotten brother that Degas insisted was of importance. Where was Degas anyhow?

Saeryn looked at the girl who stood patiently before her. Her fingers itched to style her hair but she was afraid that the suggestion, though entirely selfish, would be taken as an insult rather than a request. As children, Saeryn and Caeli never grew tired of elaborately braiding each other's tresses into styles that served no point or purpose besides looking pretty. It had been years since Saeryn had seen her only sister. Her eyes grew wet at the thought that she would never see her again. Ignoring her own emotions as well as she could, she spoke again.

"Would you like to join those barbarions" she smiled, indicating the jest, "in the hall? Or would you like to head to the kitchens? I dare say it would be quieter in the kitchens, but I'm sure it would be far more interesting that way." She cocked her head toward the great hall in a way entirely reminiscent of a dog who's just caught the quiet scratching gate of a cat on the winds. Ćňelhild giggled and Saeryn smiled.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:03 AM   #519
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

The Innkeeper stood at the door, listening to murmur of conversation that the door muffled. She waited until the moment when she would not be interrupting the girls in any state that might embarass them and then placed her hand on the door.

Before Ćňelhild could do more than giggle and answer Saeryn, the door to the room creaked open and in walked Bethberry, surprising both young girls.

"Saeryn, I caught sight of you two leaving the stable and was expecting to see you in the Great Hall, or at least be called to your service. That you would sneak behind my back, even with good intentions, is very disappointing to me.

Saeryn looked up at the woman and blushed, unaware of how her actions would have been seen.

"I am not a parent who objects to a child's wishes and who then incurs the child's deceitful misrepresentations. I am an Innkeeper who runs a decent, honest establishment--one which provides sanctuary when needed and fellowship and mirth and good company. How am I to protect my patrons if people think they can sneak into the rooms of my inn without my knowledge? "

Then, seeing the face of the strange young girl turn frightful, Bethberry spoke to her: "Be not afraid of my words to one who broke my trust. If you need food and shelter speak up honestly to me of your need. If you lack coin to pay, you can earn your food by helping out with some labour about the place. But do not play the shifty sneak with me, however much you might be fearful. The town has too many villains and briggands for me to look the other way. I must know who walks about my Inn."

"Well, Saeryn, what do you have to say for yourself?"
Old 08-08-2005, 10:14 AM   #520
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

At the Innkeeper's reprimand, Saeryn's face grew hot. Quick tears sprang to her eyes at the insinuation that she had anything less than honorable intentions. All she had meant was to spare the hungry girl public attention that she may not be comfortable in...

Her mouth worked fruitlessly for a moment before the tears let loose. "Mistress Bethberry, I am so sorry. I did not mean for it to look... however it looked." Saeryn looked terrified, Ćňelhild even more so. "I just... I found her... in the stable. And thought she might like to join me for breakfast. And then... I thought she might like something else to wear maybe... so I brought her to my room. I didn't mean to seem deceitful, ma'am." Her lower lip trembled as she tried to hastily blink away the tears that she had not known she had.

She felt like she had been caught in the midst of a terrible crime, and had not expected it in the least. All she wanted was for Bethberry to say that all was well, but how could she be sure all was when the Innkeeper who had so swiftly earned her respect was looking at her in such a disappointed way.

"I'm sorry ma'am... I... didn't think. Please don't think it was Ćňel's fault... I invited her. If there is blame..." more tears leaked. After all, Saeryn was just a girl, though just barely... she was nearly alone in the world and was still very confused as to just where her place in it was. "Blame me."