The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-19-2005, 09:27 PM   #1
Bandito Bill

Why Legolas?

There's been a question nagging me ever since I saw the Fellowship a few years back for the first time. During the "Mirror of Galadriel" scene, Frodo looks in the water and sees (in order) Legolas, Merry and Pippin, Sam, and then the (possible) Scouring of the Shire. Now, I get why they're all depressed (obviously indicative of Frodo's potential failure and Sauron's success), but here's what bothers me: why Legolas? If I remember right, he had no purpose in the Scouring in the book, so why should he be shown in a scene about the Scouring?

To further add to this question is the lack of change in the Special Edition. Before buying it, I thought they would add shots of the others looking all glum, or at least give some reason for Legolas being there, but that was not to be.

So please, someone give me a good answer: why Legolas?
Old 08-19-2005, 10:28 PM   #2
radagastly
Shade of Carn Dûm

radagastly is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Welcome to the 'Downs!

If you're referring to the shots I think you're referring to, then I understand your confusion. The gloomy stares at Frodo during the Mirror of Galadriel scene actually refer not to the Scouring of the Shire, but to an earlier scene in Lothlorien. When they first enter the edge of the woods, and are captured by Haldir and his cohorts, Haldir turns to Frodo and says, "You bring great evil here. You can go no further." Galadriel says the same thing inside Frodo's head a little later. Then later, Aragorn and Legolas are trying to persuade Haldir to take them in, to keep them safe from the orcs pursuing from Moria, and Frodo looks around at his companions, and they stare back at him as if it's his fault that they won't be let into safety in Lorien. I think it's meant to show a certain level of guilt and paranoia building in Frodo, a sign that the ring is taking hold of his thoughts. The same shots are repeated in the mirror, and then lead directly into seeing the EYE etc. It was a good idea, that didn't quite work for me. I don't know why.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:14 PM   #3
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah, I also thought it was odd that Legolas was included. I believe that Boromir, and maybe Gimli, were shown when they were actually in Lorien, but they weren't included in the Mirror scene. Legolas and the Hobbits were chosen to be in the Mirror. But why? I really don't know. It would make more sense to show Boromir's disappointment, since he wants the Ring to go to Gondor. Legolas just doesn't seem the type to really blame Frodo for any of the events that might occur.

Last edited by Gurthang; 06-26-2006 at 05:48 AM.
Gurthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 09:14 AM   #4
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

I'd noticed that too. If it was to do with Legolas and Aragorn trying to negotiate with Haldir, then why didn't they show 'Gorn?

I'd have preferred it if they showed Boromir in his place. I don't think the Boromir heel turn (wrestling terminology ) was subtle enough. I liked the scene on Caradhras where he picks up the Ring (which Frodo dropped....how exactly?) but I didn't like Galadriel's line - He will try to take the Ring - or Boromir's mad snuffling on the boat which, conveniently, only Frodo noticed. A bit forced, but it was still alright.

Maybe the Legolas shot was designed simply to get more Legolas in the film. Because he's hot stuff. Might just be that.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:24 PM   #5
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim

I'd have preferred it if they showed Boromir in his place. I don't think the Boromir heel turn (wrestling terminology ) was subtle enough. I liked the scene on Caradhras where he picks up the Ring (which Frodo dropped....how exactly?) but I didn't like Galadriel's line - He will try to take the Ring - or Boromir's mad snuffling on the boat which, conveniently, only Frodo noticed. A bit forced, but it was still alright.
I also disagree with the above statement. This is straying from the topic, but Boromir never turned "heel" or bad. He was just influenced by the Ring. It was the Ring that played on his thoughts. I could go on about this. The scene in the boat is good, seeing as how it is the same way Boromir acted in the book. His eyes were fixed on Frodo, and Pippin notices. It wasn't forced.
MatthewM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 09:47 PM   #6
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewM
I also disagree with the above statement. This is straying from the topic, but Boromir never turned "heel" or bad. He was just influenced by the Ring. It was the Ring that played on his thoughts. I could go on about this. The scene in the boat is good, seeing as how it is the same way Boromir acted in the book. His eyes were fixed on Frodo, and Pippin notices. It wasn't forced.
True on the "influencing" topic - I don't think too many of us would disagree with you there.

But in film there's a pretty big difference between Boromir's eyes being "fixed" on Frodo & Boromir leaning heavily on the boat sniffing and gasping up a storm. And if Pippin notices his behavior in the books, surely his more obvious behavior in the movies would not have gone unnoticed by all but Frodo. I think that's what Eomer was trying to say there.

Not a scene that bothers me terribly (Galadriel's give-away does more), but I can definitly see where Eomer is coming from.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 10:46 AM   #7
Dûrbelethwen
Haunting Spirit

Dûrbelethwen has just left Hobbiton.
I do not know why either because I saw the Fellowship of the Ring extended version first, then the Two Towers theatrical version, then read the books ( I was in the middle of the Hobbit when the Two Towers came out) so I did not get emotionally attached to Legolas's character until the Two Towers, so his appearance would not have had any significant meaning for me.
Dûrbelethwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 05:17 PM   #8
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I assumed (once I saw the EE) that they reshowed Legolas' (and some of the others') expression that we saw earlier just outside of Lorien because they wanted to get the 'things that were' side of the Mirror's power across to us.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 02:27 PM   #9
random elf 800

White Tree

If you look at the book, doesn't it say something about 'one by one it will destroy them all' in that scene? So I think it should have shown the rest of the Fellowship as well as the hobbits and Legolas.

But if the scene was about corruption, it brings us back to Why Legolas? After Aragorn, he's the least likely to be corrupted!
Old 10-19-2005, 03:27 PM   #10
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Quote:
I'd have preferred it if they showed Boromir in his place. I don't think the Boromir heel turn (wrestling terminology ) was subtle enough. I liked the scene on Caradhras where he picks up the Ring (which Frodo dropped....how exactly?) but I didn't like Galadriel's line - He will try to take the Ring - or Boromir's mad snuffling on the boat which, conveniently, only Frodo noticed. A bit forced, but it was still alright.~Eomer
I concur!
Quote:
If you look at the book, doesn't it say something about 'one by one it will destroy them all' in that scene?~random elf
Firstly, welcome to the downs, I hope you enjoy it here. Now onto the thread...

I don't think that line's in there. It's said by Galadriel in the movies, but there's no mention of her saying anyone is being corrupted. We get a really strong sense that Galadriel knows what people the Fellowship is thinking (especially Boromir and Aragorn), and there is plenty of mention that it seems as if she's tested them with their very desires, but as far as saying everyone's being corrupted, I think that's just in the movies.
Quote:
But if the scene was about corruption, it brings us back to Why Legolas? After Aragorn, he's the least likely to be corrupted!
I will be up for a debate over that!
Old 10-19-2005, 05:46 PM   #11
SunniGadi
Animated Skeleton

SunniGadi has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to SunniGadi Send a message via MSN to SunniGadi
Everyone in the fellowship was corrupted, because they were mortals and they had their mortal needs and wants. I can only think of one thing to put Legolas in that scene; to give Orlando more air time. He doesn't have a real big air time/speaking part in Fellowship, and so maybe they just tried to get him in a bit more, to show that he was "a part of the group" and not completely detached, because he wasn't. He was just a big observer in Fellowship and then acted upon his observations in Two Towers.

I was really sad they didn't put the falling of the Shire in the movies and the glory Merry and Pippin got for saving everyone. Or that Pippin and Merry grew when they were with Treebeard....or Tom Bombadil...

Stuff should go here. It might eventually.
SunniGadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 08:04 AM   #12
staff_and_sword

Narya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandito Bill
There's been a question nagging me ever since I saw the Fellowship a few years back for the first time. During the "Mirror of Galadriel" scene, Frodo looks in the water and sees (in order) Legolas, Merry and Pippin, Sam, and then the (possible) Scouring of the Shire. Now, I get why they're all depressed (obviously indicative of Frodo's potential failure and Sauron's success), but here's what bothers me: why Legolas? If I remember right, he had no purpose in the Scouring in the book, so why should he be shown in a scene about the Scouring?

To further add to this question is the lack of change in the Special Edition. Before buying it, I thought they would add shots of the others looking all glum, or at least give some reason for Legolas being there, but that was not to be.

So please, someone give me a good answer: why Legolas?
I think it is because Legolas seems to be too perfect in the movie. For some reason they make him shine more than anyone else in the movie, and this is just another piece of the oddness of having Legolas so popular for no particular reason. They make him too powerfull in everything, so why not make him even more popular in the movie !
Old 03-06-2006, 07:41 PM   #13
Legolas in spandex
Wight

Legolas in spandex has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Ah geez, I've actually wondered that myself, but there is propably no deep or "good" reason other than that is the way the director saw it because , I dunoo, maybe he had been talking to Orlando Bloom all day so that's what came to mind. If I have to give a good reason though, maybe they were in order of those who would be least able to help him in his greatest time of need. That may be a bad answer, but that's all I got.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:26 PM   #14
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield Bringin it back

The question Why Legolas? is also relevant in the battle at the Black Gate. It looks as though Aragorn is about to be crushed by the troll, and we get a couple of shots of Legolas-in-slow-motion doing a classic Noooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Why Legolas?
Old 06-20-2006, 12:35 AM   #15
Flame_of_Udûn
Pile O'Bones

Flame_of_Udûn has just left Hobbiton.
I'm not sure why Legolas was in the mirror but I have some thoughts on the Legolas / Aragorn / Boromir death scene. After watching the director's commentary for FOTR, it seems like PJ wanted to make Legolas (immortal elf) look surprised and not able to comprehend death. This can be seen after Gandalf's death as well.
Flame_of_Udûn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 12:52 AM   #16
DarkLordSauron

legolas in the mirror

i think that legolas being in the mirror seeing that frodo failed represents all the elven kind which sauron hates and he wants to destroy them remember it was the evles fault that sauron made his ring