The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2003, 05:46 PM   #41
Eressië Ailin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eressië Ailin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eressië Ailin
Question

It takes a LOT to mak my cry... but if I'm acting or something, I can really cry.

That's kinda like when I see horror movies. When I hear scary music in the backround, I start cracking up!! And everyone else around me is like, "SHUT UP!!!!"

[ February 17, 2003: Message edited by: Eressië Ailin ]

[ February 17, 2003: Message edited by: Eressië Ailin ]
Eressië Ailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 09:53 PM   #42
ArrowOracle

Eye

I almost cried only twice, and it was for both of the movies.

1) When Sam and Frodo see the elves leaving Middle Earth, while they are on their way to Bree. You will not see this part of FotR unless you have the special edition...thing...for DVD.

2) When Haldir died. Sorry. It was supposed to be sad, and when bad things happen to the elves, I get all teary. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 03-07-2003, 10:18 PM   #43
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Welcome! and thank you for resurrecting my thread!!! *nances furiously*

Ah i just saw TT again today, adn i cried when:
haldir died
merry had his little speechy thing
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 04:29 AM   #44
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
You know the part for Rohan? That just really gets to me. Maybe it's my Celtic blood...or maybe not.
me too, i think it's the music. and of course the mum putting her kids on the horse, and the rohan people looked so simple, innocent....i'm welling up here! (sniff)

did none of you heartless people cry when boromir died? or was i just not reading carefully enough.
i also cried when they took merry and pippin at the end of fotr, and when eomer says: "Not alone" at the end of TTT. i cried when legolas said: "He is aragorn, son of arathorn" but i have no idea why!
in the book i cried when they seperated merry and pippin, everyone goes on about the friendship of frodo and sam, but merry and pippin are that close too!
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 09:09 AM   #45
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Did any of you cry while watching either of the movies or reading either of the books? If so, at what part?
No, I didn't cry. I almost drowned my sister in tears.

It takes a lot to get me to cry (and even more to get me to feel even remotely frightened during a horror movie), but when I watched FotR, I had tears streaming down my face at the death of Boromir (and I still shed tears whenever I see it). And I was audibly sobbing (quietly) when I read it in the books. In my opinion, it's much more emotional in writing. I also cried at the end of RotK when Frodo leaves for the Undying Lands. Of course, during each and every moment that I cried, I was up past 1:00AM and thus sleep-deprived. So... HA! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 10:32 AM   #46
Lilly Loamsdown
Pile O'Bones

Lilly Loamsdown has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It's normaly difficult to make me cry but I did at the end of Rotk when Frodo left and poor Sam got left
behind.
[img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
And In the movie when Elrond was trying to convince Arwen to go to the undying lands,I didnt cry but my throat got all tight,it was hard to breath.
I think I'm alergic to sadness.
Old 03-08-2003, 08:37 PM   #47
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
And In the movie when Elrond was trying to convince Arwen to go to the undying lands,I didnt cry but my throat got all tight,it was hard to breath.
I just sat there through this whole scene thinking about what Gondor would think when their queen never died.
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 11:43 PM   #48
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Oh, man! I didn't cry but I got major shivers and I felt deliciously overwhelmed when Gandalf and the Rohirrim came rushing down the slope towards the Uruks. *sigh*...

I cried softly in the books when Frodo went to the Undying Lands, when the Scouring of the Shire happened, when the Ring was destroyed. During the Ring destruction part, I also felt a surge of happiness.
Old 03-10-2003, 11:08 AM   #49
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Shy Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Reading TTT when Sam finds Frodo after he's been attacked by Shelob, and his little speech. It was something like:

"Please Mr. Frodo, don't leave me! Don't go where I can't follow!" [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] I don't know how I'm going to make it through that scene.

~The Fellowship of the King~
Shy Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 10:17 PM   #50
Iarephelion
Pile O'Bones

Iarephelion has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I'm not much of a cryer, and I don't remember crying whilst reading the books (it's a while since I last read LoTR) but I must admit to having a tear in my eye inside the first minute of the movie FoTR. It was like something I had dreamed of for so long was actually about to come true. The Shire was everything I had imagined it to be. The rest of the movie and TTT weren't bad either.
Old 03-14-2003, 10:40 PM   #51
Eressië Ailin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Question

Quote:
did none of you heartless people cry when boromir died?
To put it simply... NO!!!!! I was cracking up!!!! But I do think that Sean did an excellent job as Boromir. It's definately a hard role.
Old 03-14-2003, 10:47 PM   #52
Tasslehoff_55
Pile O'Bones

Tasslehoff_55 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Tasslehoff_55 Send a message via AIM to Tasslehoff_55
Sting

i'm a big crier but i cried at the same part as Arwen_Evenstar, when sam found frodo..... i probably cried LOTS of other times tooo, i just don't remember where...probably at sentimental sam and frodo parts.... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
His love for Frodo rose above all other thoughts, and forgetting his peril he cried aloud:"i'm coming, Mr.Frodo!" He ran forward to the crown of the climbing path, and over it. At once the road turned left and plunged steeply down. Sam had crossed into Mordor.
¤§ Tåsslehoff §¤
Tasslehoff_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 01:31 PM   #53
Antien
Animated Skeleton

Antien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I AM TOTALLY HEARTLESS! I DID NOT CRY! HOW COULD YOU CRY! IT WAS NOT SAD! WHY AM I WRITING IN CAPS LOCK!
Old 03-17-2003, 01:33 PM   #54
fraul

1420!

I did not cry!

Tasslehoff is COOL! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2003, 01:34 PM   #55
fraul

Sting

And so is Edmonton. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2003, 05:00 PM   #56
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Cool, Edmonton. I'm going there in May. Go Me!
Old 04-19-2003, 07:54 PM   #57
Eressië Ailin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Question

Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just sat there through this whole scene thinking about what Gondor would think when their queen never died.
lol... That's a very... erm... interesting thought. But I've always wondered about that.
Old 04-20-2003, 09:51 AM   #58
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Nope.
lol, same here. you people are all overly sentimental. its not real (or if it is it happened thousands of years ago). there are lots of powerful bits in there, all the ones youve mentioned are, but its not that sad. its meant to make you think, but cry?
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 07:13 PM   #59
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

yep. we're all nutcases.
Old 04-21-2003, 07:39 PM   #60
Senseless Skwerl
Pile O'Bones

Senseless Skwerl has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i cried from when boromir died (movie) until the end of it, and then for about 15 minutes afterward... i still do even now when watching it, escpecially at, "of course you are! and i'm comin' with you!"
then in ttt, i cried a ton when haldir died, then at the end of the movie again.
i cried in the books (rotk that is) when they all parted ways, never to see eachother agian. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
and for some odd reason, during ttt movie, i cried when elrond was telling arwen what would become of her if she married aragorn. oh yeah, and also, for some EXTREMLY odd reason, i cried when aragorn fell off of that cliff while fighting orcs (or goblins??), but the first time i saw ttt, i bursted out laughing (you know this horse maiden of the shire!), then went into tears when legolas didn't want to leave him, but theoden did [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]
hehee! in short, i'm a cry baby when it comes to movies and books!
Old 04-22-2003, 07:45 AM   #61
Airehiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Airehiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

There's nothing like watching the movies for the first time. That is when it is freshest, and most moving, and where you are most apt to cry. For those of you who think we are silly for crying, we are people who allow ourselves to get caught up in the moment. Who allow ourselves to be so involved that we are moved to tears. Reality is set aside for a moment, and we embrace the life that is on the screen or on the pages. We develop such a connectedness with the characters that it is truly heart breaking to us when one of them is sad/hurting or dies.

I cried more during the movies than the book. I don't really remember the parts that made me cry in the book, but here are my movie soft spots: (forgive me if they are not in chronological order, I'm telling them as I remember them, and I may have to add more later!)

FotR:
Definately when Boromir was killed...the whole scene had me in tears, and even now it will make my throat tight, but I know what happens, so I don't really cry.
When everyone thinks Frodo has been killed by the cave troll.
When Gandalf fell off the Bridge of Khazad-dum.
When everyone cried for Gandalf.
When Frodo cried for Gandalf when he was standing on the river bank.
When Sam came running after Frodo, and the whole scene that ensued with him going under, and then being pulled up...*sigh* I think that one is tied with the Boromir scene for #1 sad part.
When Aragorn said he wouldn't leave Merry and Pippin for torment and death.

TTT:
For some reason the scene where the elves came marching up Helm's Deep moved me to tears, but not because I was sad or mad that it wasn't accurate. I guess because I thought it was such a nice thing to do.
Where the Ents go marching to war...another moved to tears of joy.
When the Rohirrim came to the aid of those fighting at Helms Deep...another joy one.
When Haldir died.
When Aragorn fell off the cliff...even though I knew he couldn't die.
When Sam made his speech.
The whole Arwen being left alone after Aragorn dies scene.
The scene where Grima sheds his own tear looking out upon the army of thousands of Orcs.
The scene where all the young boys were taken from their mothers.
The scene where all the young boys were given swords...it made me think of my little brother, but he would be too young anyway.
The scene where the mother sends her two children off on the horse.

Gee...I know there must be more! But there they are, for all of you to see what a big baby I am! lol
Old 04-24-2003, 03:23 PM   #62
Anardil
Animated Skeleton

Anardil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As a male, I am not allowed to cry in public [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] , but I certainly became very emotional during both FotR and TTT. One scene which has not been mentioned yet is during the Battle of Helm's Deep, when the Orcs have taken the Keep and are breaking into the Caves. Gimli notes that dawn has come, and Aragorn sees the light shining in through the window. We hear Gandalf's last words to Aragorn, and Theoden says "The horn of Helm Hammerhand shall sound in the Deep one last time". Brings water to my eyes every time.
Anardil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 03:44 PM   #63
Arafangwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: WtR: 413 miles/Floating happily across the floor in the arms of The Phantom.....
Arafangwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Arafangwen Send a message via AIM to Arafangwen
Silmaril

You guys have no idea how much it takes to make me cry, I get depressed sometimes, or sad, but I don't cry. My eyes did water though when Boromir died(even though I never really liked him to begin with), and when Haldir died(that one almost did me in, I really like his character). But that's all, I laughed out loud when everyone was crying about Gandalf, I was like, "You dorks! Haven't you read the books?! He's not dead!", I thought it was hillarious! I usualy laugh at horror movies and such so everything in FOTR and in TTT was basicly funny to me! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Arafangwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 12:10 PM   #64
Elrowen Greenleaf
Animated Skeleton

Elrowen Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elrowen Greenleaf
Eye

It usually takes alot for me to cry, but I did tear up abit when Gandalf fell, and I'm not ashamed to say that I still tear up when Boromir died (even after seeing the movie a bunch of times). I also cried a little bit when Arwen was talking to Elrond in TTT. That was SO sad... Also the look on Legolas' face when they had thought Aragorn died... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

In the books, I teared up a little and in the Silmarillion parts were sad. Like when Turin realized he had killed hi best friend, and when Glorfindel and Fingolfin died that was sad... but not sad enough to make me tear up.

-Elrowen

[ April 25, 2003: Message edited by: Elrowen Greenleaf ]

The bow of Legolas was singing.
Elrowen Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 01:24 PM   #65
Catherine
Shade of Carn Dûm

Catherine has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I cried sooo many times. When Boromir dies.
When Frodo "dies". When Frodo left for the Grey Havens. When Gandalf "dies". And many more times.
I don't think I should have had the heart to leave it."
~Merry to Haldir in Lothlórien~
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote