The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2003, 09:53 PM   #1
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Did you cry?

Been wondering. Did any of you cry while watching either of the movies or reading either of the books? If so, at what part? I sure did in FotR when Gandalf died (movie) and I did a little in RotK when Snowmane and Theoden died, and when Merry and Eowyn had to go to the Houses of Healing because they were badly hurt. Oh, NO! When i go to see RotK I'll need a whole SLEW of Kleenex!
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 10:02 PM   #2
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Several miles over the madness horizon and accelerating
Bekah has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Bekah
Sting

I couldn't. But I felt like my heart was being wrenched out of me both when Gandalf fell and in the TTT when Arwen was realizing what would happen if she married Aragorn. Even though I knew Gandalf would live, and though my heart tugged when she told Elrond in tearful Elvish that he had her love, I knew that she still decided to remain with Aragorn...despite PJ's changes to her!!!

~ Elentari II

[ February 11, 2003: Message edited by: Bekah ]
Bekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 12:00 AM   #3
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It takes a lot to get me to cry in a movie, all these films have had very emotional parts, I have come close to crying. When I read the book I did not cry but I found myself very sad at the end of ROTK, because it did not end the way I expected.
Old 02-12-2003, 01:34 AM   #4
Arwen_Evenstar
Wight

Arwen_Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Did I cry? DID I CRY? I bawled my eyes out in The Return of The King when Sam found frodo... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Quote:
'It was indeed Mr Frodo. I'd given up hope, almost. I couldn't find you.'
'Well you have now Sam, dear Sam.' Said Frodo, and he lay back in Sam's gentle arms and closed his eyes, like a child at rest when his night-fears are driven away by some loved voice or hand.
[img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
I cried everytime I read it!!! Having Gollums song playing in the backround didn't exactly make the mood more cheerfull.
AND
In TTT movie I cried about eighty times during the Battle of Helms Deep, I cried when the ents said they wouldn't help(which really bugged me), I cried when Sam said his little speech at the end...Oh and in the return of the king I cried when frodo left....i cried through practically everything!!!!

[img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 02-12-2003, 05:36 AM   #5
Pennthangeil
Haunting Spirit

Pennthangeil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pennthangeil
Sting

I cried alot in the books. I cried every single time Frodo was hurt. And i cried when Merry and Pippin were really missing eachother in ROTK. And i cried at Frodos Gandalf Song. And at the end of RotK when Frodo left for the Grey Havens. AND(last one promise) everytime Sam was REALY worried about frodo.

I have no back bone.
Old 02-12-2003, 02:10 PM   #6
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm very emotional, and it doesn't take a whole lot to make me cry. I think I cried when Gandalf fell in the book, but not in the movie--I don't know why, though. Anyhow, I also cried when Boromir died (in the movie, I don't remember about the book), at Sam's speech at the end of the TT movie, and through most of Return of the King, especially the end. Heck, I cry sometimes when I think about the end of RotK. They're going to have to drag me out of the theatre when RotK comes out because I'll be crying so hard it'll disturb the other moviegoers. Oh dear...

~*~Orual~*~
Old 02-12-2003, 02:21 PM   #7
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Shy Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have a different situation than most of you. I'm still fairly new to the trilogy of LOTR and I first saw Fellowship of the Ring last year. I didn't really like it that much, but since I've read the book, and bought the DVD, seems I find something new to cry through each time I watch it! When Bilbo yells at Gandalf in Bag End and then feels badly for it, When Frodo is stabbed at Weathertop, and although it wasn't in the books, I cried right along with Arwen when she thought he was gone. I didn't cry at the fall of Gandalf, but when they showed the other's reaction to his fall, I lost it. Poor Pippin! And of course, at the end when Sam followed Frodo and nearly drowned himself in the process. I haven't seen The Two Towers yet, but I've started reading it. I've peeked at spoiler pics from RotK on councilofelrond.com...I don't know how I'm going to make it though the last film! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

~The Fellowship of the King~
Shy Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 02:44 PM   #8
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

I don't really "cry" (as in audibly sob and blubber), but I do shed silent tears at times, for instance, when Boromir died (kind of the same way Aragorn did in the movie when Boromir died, so I'm in good company).

I also was moved to tears when reading The Silmarillion a couple of places. One time was when the men of Dor-Lomin made their last stand. The other one I can remember is when Turin realizes he's killed his best friend.
Old 02-12-2003, 03:25 PM   #9
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You've all made me sad, and I feel very, well, unfeeling. I can't imagine me crying that much because of a book or film. I have to go now, before my mood is ruined for the rest of the night [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img].
Old 02-12-2003, 03:30 PM   #10
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I, like the phantom, don't sob when I read the books, but I do get teary on a couple of spots. For instance, I'm reading them currently for the fourth time and I got a little 'emotional' when Aragorn and Legolas sang the song to the winds when Boromir died.

[ February 12, 2003: Message edited by: alaklondewen ]
Old 02-12-2003, 03:32 PM   #11
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Yes, there are heaps of bits that make my heart feel wrenched out. And when Frodo cried at the end, and it goes to Gandalf and back again, I remember feeling an uncomfortable but familiar pricking at the edges of my eyes...but I didn't cry. I feel really, really terrible though...I guess it was that kind of grief Legolas felt, the greiving that is too deep for crying. Shows how good the movie is, I guess.

I know I posted here before, but you guys reminded me of the part where Sam almost drowns, and countless others. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Thanks for spoiling my mood.

~ Elentari II

P.S. I don't feel mad at any of you, by the way, it was really my own fault for checking the thread.
Old 02-12-2003, 03:34 PM   #12
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

I heard the cd that Tolkien read some of LOTR on, and I felt terrible when he said the last lines, "the golden falls of Rauros", or whatever it was. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 02-12-2003, 08:49 PM   #13
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
Well, I weep (silently) when Frodo Leaves, when Gandalf dooms frodo to the torment of the dark tower, when frodo is poisoned, when Sam leaves Frodo, when Sam find Frodo is still alive, when Gandalf *dies* (book, I cracked up when he died in the movie, no idea why),
when Merry is brought in after the fight with the Witch-king, at how destroyed the shire is, When Galadriel sings her song of the sea, when Gollum is almost reformed (kinda)...wow thats 10 whens...well 11 now [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 09:39 PM   #14
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

Nope.
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 09:58 PM   #15
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

I cried in both movies and when I finished the books.
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 10:02 PM   #16
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

I cried a tear or two in either movie; but what REALLY gets me going is the end of RotK and the end of the soundtrack in TTT and LotR (Breaking of the Fellowship, Samwise the Brave- same two themes, different titles).
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 10:44 AM   #17
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elven maiden Earwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elven maiden Earwen
Sting

what makes me cry is when aarwen and her dad are talking, the story of arwen and aragon. i criede at the end of rotk and the tale of turin tumbar and the tale of beren and luthien. also at the nirnaeth arnoediad and the ruin of dorith. in the movies i also cried when the brought theodred in to edoras and when theoden has 2 burry him. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
elven maiden Earwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 10:45 AM   #18
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

Being as how I've been referred to as a "heartless fiend" by my best friend (half in jest, of course.) don't let this get out, but I cried my eyes out in both the movies and the books. The first time I read the Fellowship, I was too surprised to cry when Gandalf fell into Shadow, but I cried when they reached Lothlorien and Galadriel did her mind-reading thing and just kind of said it. In PJ's version, I cried my eyes out AFTER they got out of Moria when the hobbits were crying and here, I quote, Boromir said: "Give them a moment, for pity's sake!" I'm ashamed to admit it, but I was bawling. At the end of the book, when Frodo and Sam left and Merry and Pippen were taken, I was thinking: "Gee... that's kind of sad. But now... Aragorn and Boromir are gonna kick some orc-butt and get them back!" Then, when I picked up TTT for the first time and I read the Boromir-death-scene, I started to cry. I was sitting in the living room going: "Why'd Boromir have to die? I was just starting to like him!" At the end of the FOTR movie, when they killed him, I cried simply because I didn't expect it to happen until TTT. In TTT movie, I cried when Theoden said: "No parent should ever have to bury their child." I also cried when Fangorn saw all the tree stumps outside of Isenguard and said "But these trees were my friends..." (although at the time, I was also thinking that he must have no life if his only friends are trees! I know, I know... they had voices, but it was a pretty cheesy line, you must admit!) I was a little sad at the Haldir death scene, but I'm pretty sure it was the work of the music and my anger at the group of pre-pubescent kids sitting behind my friends and I, talking. Those are the only times I've ever actually cried in a movie theater.
Old 02-13-2003, 01:09 PM   #19
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

I'm ashamed to admit it (actually, on second thought, no I'm not) but I felt annoyed that Treebeard decided against going to war against Sauron just because "he had no reason". In the books, of course, he decides to go without being tricked, and he already know about the death of many of the Hruntings and normal trees. I think it's Hruntings. Maybe all I read is getting to be...I have a feeling that Hrunting is the name of the jester's sword in 'Beowulf'. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

~ Elentari II
Old 02-13-2003, 01:50 PM   #20
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i cried my eyes out during ttt on the futuristic arwen/aragorn stuff. then i kept on crying even when i got home, and at any random time i happened to be thinking bout the movie and remembered that scene. i also cried when Theoden said "no parent should have to bury their child" outside theodreds grave (actually, cried is a major understatement)
i also cried big time when gandalf, eomer, and the rohirrim charged down the slope into the uruk-hai at helms deep
i have only ever cried once at haldirs death. the first two times i thought "darn", the third i practically fell off my seat laughing, the fourth i was torn between laughing and crying. the fifth time was when i cried. problem was, i couldnt stop crying for the rest of the film. sixth time i think was a "darn" situation
the other day i watched fotr, and for the first time ever i actually cried at anything to do with fotr. i may have once come marginally close to crying during fotr in the cinema, but never actually cried, so out of about 50 times, this was the first time ive cried. it was when boromir died, and i bawled my eyes out. then naturally i couldnt stop crying until the end.
also, during ttt, i sometimes feel incredibly upset, but dont actually cry, when grima gets thrown down the steps of meduseld and almost bashed up by theoden (i know its kind of a strange reaction, considering my friends are cracking up next to me, and everyone else practically cheers and cracks open the champagne)
Old 02-13-2003, 01:55 PM   #21
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Yes, Mrs Wormtongue. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-13-2003, 01:58 PM   #22
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

:P

*thwaps bekah and dances*

people like my blooper! people like my blooper! whoo!
Old 02-13-2003, 01:59 PM   #23
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

(i know thats entirely unrelated, but im in a very good mood over it [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img])
Old 02-13-2003, 02:16 PM   #24
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
I cried a little,

At the end of Rotk, when Sam says: Well I'm back. At that part I just feld his sadnes. I had some tears rolling across my cheeks when Gandalf falled. That was because I did not read the books then and I tought he was dead.

Greetings,

Anuion
________
Buy iolite vaporizer

Last edited by Helkahothion; 03-07-2011 at 02:41 AM.
Helkahothion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 02:21 PM   #25
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

i also kinda cried (more just felt kinda teary) at the lament for gandalf that the elves were singing in lothlorien
and that bit in rivendell, with arwen and aragorn talking, and it being a good dream, etc. and just about everything on the soundtrack, mainly gollums song and the rohan theme and breath of life- aragorn in the river and arwen/brego kissing, etc.
Old 02-13-2003, 03:35 PM   #26
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

You know the part for Rohan? That just really gets to me. Maybe it's my Celtic blood...or maybe not.

Does anyone know where Sharku is? Because I want to PM him regarding the closing of the Female Fellowship. And I can't find any of his posts. I know that they're there, but I can't find any.

~ Elentari II
Old 02-13-2003, 03:38 PM   #27
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

if hes also called sharku on the chat, hes available on there quite a lot. otherwise i dont know. have u tried finding a list of memebers on the forum? im sure there is one... under profile or something. is he listed in there? u can pm him from there, i think
Old 02-13-2003, 04:20 PM   #28
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

i dont know. i opened another female fellowship but it has seemed to disappeared.
AAH! People have replied to my thread!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]*nances furiously*
Whenever I even think a little about Gandalf dying, i get teary. That is the saddest part becuase of music/Frodo (EW did that part so well, eh?)
I know i probably repeated that from my opening post
Old 02-13-2003, 09:39 PM   #29
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

I think, as far as FF goes, it has been opened three times.

First, by Pennathengil.

Second, by Horse-maiden.

Third, by me.

And all of them got closed, one at a time. Which is why I want to PM Sharku, who I think closed the ones before mine. I tried PMing Mithadan, but she told me to PM Sharku.

~ Elentari II

P.S. I know this is off topic. I'm going to delete this reply of mine soon.
Old 02-13-2003, 09:45 PM   #30
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Yeah. Everytime I hear the music, I hear Frodo's 'Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!" I can't help it. And every single time I feel exactly like the Fellowship, especially Legolas, who didn't physically cry. Though the grief-stricken images of the rest of the Fellowship are also ingrained on my memory, and make me feel just as bad.

BTW, I loved 'In Dreams' so much that I learnt it off by heart and sang it. When someone mentioned that I sounded like a boy soprano, it made my day 'cos it sounds so beautiful (and terribly sad) sung by the boy. If you check the words to that song, though, and then check the words of the Entwife song, you'll find some similarities. (I am a soprano, actually, only I'm a girl... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img])

~ Elentari II

[ February 13, 2003: Message edited by: Bekah ]
Old 02-13-2003, 10:01 PM   #31
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Oh great...now I have Frodo's face and NOOO stuck in my head, and the music too. THANKS A LOT ELENTARI II!!
Hm? Wot's this, In Dreams? Not too sure about that....Haven't the soundtrack and I've heard of in dreams never heard it though
Old 02-13-2003, 11:11 PM   #32
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

If you've got the video, the song is the last one in the movie - it goes right up until the credits, pauses while Enya struts (or sings [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]) her stuff, and then continues.

You're welcome, Horse-maiden. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

~ Elentari II [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 02-14-2003, 04:10 AM   #33
hobbitlass
Shade of Carn Dûm

hobbitlass has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I cried in every instance that has been mentioned. Here's one that hasn't been...I was hysterical (sad and happy tears) when I read Appendix B 'Later events concerning the members of the Fellowship of the Ring'. It has what happens to everyone still left in Middle-Earth, a highly recommended read.
Old 02-14-2003, 02:27 PM   #34
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

i have read appendix B, long ago

(and yes, it made me cry also)

one day, my path will lead me there again. and the librarian shall take up the call: the lord of readers has returned!
Old 02-14-2003, 03:19 PM   #35
nevlhachien
Animated Skeleton

nevlhachien has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

i have never really cried watching or reading any of them but my eyes did fill up with tears and i felt really sad. like when frodo "died" at the end of TTT book. i was reading that part in school and i tried so hard to hold back the tears and i did. but i was sad the rest of the day. i was reading rotk and this one little quote that gandalf says, "darkness has come. there will be no dawn" or something like that just made me so sad. and in rotk at the parts where theoden dies and where i thought eowyn, faramir, and merry died made me sad too. but when i realized they were still alive i was happy. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] then while watching fotr for like the sixth time, i almost cried when boromir died and i have never almost cried while watching it before. i thought that was strange. i have just been really emotional for the past week. well i think that is all for now [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

namarie
-nevie
Old 02-14-2003, 04:31 PM   #36
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

yeah, Nev. THe boromir crying thing happened to me too. I've watched FotR 17 times and I only cried when Boromir died the last tiem I watched it.
Old 02-14-2003, 04:59 PM   #37
Swordblade

Sting

Quote:
also, during ttt, i sometimes feel incredibly upset, but dont actually cry, when grima gets thrown down the steps of meduseld and almost bashed up by theoden (i know its kind of a strange reaction, considering my friends are cracking up next to me)
Oops, sorry Meela, my bad. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Anyway, I never cry at movies, and it takes a lot to get me to even nearlycry.

But I did feel increadibly sad (in a Leg kinda way) at Haldir dying, Gandalf dying (but only for the rest of the fellowship, not for him), and the breaking of the fellowship. Also at the fact that the elves are leaving middle-earth.

I'm sure there are some other bits but I won't remember them till I see it again.

(P.S. Heehee Grima getting beaten up!)
Old 02-15-2003, 06:55 AM   #38
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

*thwaps swordblade and yells to the world that fanfiction has been uploaded

Chapter 3!!!
Old 02-17-2003, 05:24 PM   #39
Lhuntathrawen

Shield

it takes a REALLY sad part to make me cry. i NEVER cry. i don't know why either..but... i cry every time i watch LotR1 and Boromir dies. i sob every time. ugh. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] i cried during LotR2 too, just can't remeber when...off the topic a little, but Braveheart made me sob at the end too. they're like the only movies where i cried...
Old 02-17-2003, 05:39 PM   #40
Goldberry
Shade of Carn Dûm

Goldberry has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Goldberry
It takes a lot to make me actually cry, although I often get teary-eyed. I dont know why, but in TTT when all the people of Helm's Deep are in the caves, and the men, young and old, have to go off to battle, i cry. I guess cause they are old men and little boys and I know that most of them won't return. But otherwise I didn't cry. I always cry after I watch the movies, though, like, a half hour later. I know, I'm weird [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]