The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2005, 05:43 PM   #1
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield What other fantasy movies do you like?

Like the What other fantasy books do you read thread I was just curious what other fantasy movies people on the Barrow Downs liked to watch. And this isn't limited to live action either because there are plenty of good cartoon fantasy movies out there.
Personally I'm in love with Star Wars (the trilogy is a work of genius regardless of what Lucas says) and I'm a big fan of the Last Unicorn and Labyrinth.

SO what fantasy movies do you guys like to watch?
Old 02-10-2005, 08:07 PM   #2
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
Here's my list: I love Star Wars (and I agree with you; the original trilogy is the best by far) and I'm an avid fan of Star Trek.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:10 PM   #3
TomBrady12
Haunting Spirit

TomBrady12 has just left Hobbiton.
I enjoyed reading the Chronicles of Narnia books when I read them in about 5th grade, I also like the movies, even though they look a little silly compared to the LoTR movies.

Star Wars is good, interested to see the last one, hopefully it will be good.

I've recently been reading Morgan Llywelyn books, which I suppose are more historical then they are fantasy, (although there are cetainly some fantasical elements). I think they are excellent books and would recommend them highly, particularly "Lion of Ireland"

TB12: Dynasty
TomBrady12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 08:35 PM   #4
Ainuosérė

I heard about these just recently, the Chonicles of Earthsea. They were originaly a book series but were recently (from what I know) made into movies. i havnt personaly watched all of them, but i have read the books and they are great.

and yes, the original starwars trilogy is one of the best, though i havnt really liked the later ones that have come out.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:03 PM   #5
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Well, I'm a Trekkie and a "Wars-ie," I guess would be the corresponding Star Wars term, and I'll add another vote to Narnia.

I also love a (canceled) sci-fi TV show called "Firefly." All of you like it too, you just don't know it yet.
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 02:15 PM   #6
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Star Trek all the way. I have all six movies and I got them at the final sale of a closing video store for about $7. "The Wrath of Khan" is my favorite.

Other favorite fantasy movies...
-The Princess Bride
-Indiana Jones, all three of them
-The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast = my favorite Disney movies ever. I still love them.

Did anyone ever see A Fairy Tale? It was a little artsy to be a kid's movie, as I remember it, but it was a very nice movie.

I liked Troy, King Arthur, and especially Hero as well, although maybe they would be considered more historical.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 02:51 PM   #7
Snorri Swifthammer
Animated Skeleton

Snorri Swifthammer has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elianna
I also love a (canceled) sci-fi TV show called "Firefly." All of you like it too, you just don't know it yet.
I second this!!! One of my favorite shows I've ever seen.

As for movies

Legend was interesting.
Princess Bride is great.
Logan's Run is a classic.
I thought Final Fantasy:Spirits Within was good if you can tolerate a rather open ending.
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is beautiful and could be seen as Eastern Fantasy.
Hellboy is a fun pulp fantasy.
Snorri Swifthammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 03:31 PM   #8
Sett
Pile O'Bones

Sett has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elianna
sorry i have to agree as well. I watched every episode on the sci fi channel and when i found out it was cancled i freaked, A sci fi/western. Must have been the first in the genre , and the humour was great. God i miss that show.

Willow is a great fantasy film in my opinion
Sett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 03:33 PM   #9
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Quote:
Star Wars is good, interested to see the last one, hopefully it will be good.
I never like Star Wars too much, it seemed a little out-dated when I saw the originals, and the new ones are very visually interesting but not particularly grabbing. I don't know much about Episode three but I do no how it's going to end. Anyone take any guesses?

I liked the Matrix Trilogy and the Animatrix. I consider it fantasy as well as sci-fi. It opened up a lot of philosophical questions, which I now research. The puddle is very deep.

Also, I love watching good, un-tampered-with Anime. Coming from Japan is some of the best modern fantasy available. The genre is diverse and you can find any type of story you could ever want. This is also a very deep puddle.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 03:45 PM   #10
Eruanna
Memento Mori

Eruanna has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Firefly fans...yes, me too!
The best thing on tv or dvd for years. Looking forward to the film?

Also a fan of Star Wars, Star Trek, Farscape, Babylon 5 and most of the comic book films that have been made over the last few years.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:47 PM   #11
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Ah, yes, the Firfefly movie coming out in September. That's going to be great! Maybe Fox will see the error of its ways and launch the TV series again....

Anyone sensitive to spoilers: Don't read this! Any guesses on the end of Episode 3 of Star Wars? *shrug* Vader's there. But because of that and "always two there are," you know Dooku's going to die, and my main worry is how. Will it be an awesome lightsaber duel, or will he be poisoned in the first five minutes of the film?

Yee, more votes for Willow and Princess Bride! Oo, Tenth Kingdom; it was a mini-series on a long while ago. Has anyone mentioned Ever After?
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 08:18 PM   #12
drigel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

drigel has just left Hobbiton.
Sam L Jackson says it will be an awsome death - I cant wait!

I cant wait for the Narnia movie:
Narnia
drigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 11:14 PM   #13
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

The two newest Star Wars movies were pretty terrible, but the third one looks like it's going to be awesome. Finally, Darth Vader!
Also, can't wait for the Narnia movies, too bad it won't be ready until about Dec. of this year.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:34 AM   #14
Assasin
Wight

Assasin has just left Hobbiton.
E_d! you're a Treky! I love Star Trek too. I also like the Princess Bride, and the Pirates of the Carribean.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:07 PM   #15
Linnahiril Tinnufinwen
Haunting Spirit

Linnahiril Tinnufinwen has just left Hobbiton.
I would have to say that my other favorite fantasy movies would be the Star Wars Trilogy. I used to be obssessed with it in Jr. High. I'm not so sure I like the prequels so much, but I am still curious about the third one that is going to come out. My favorite fantasy books are the ones from the Harry Potter series, and other children's stories, like Polar Express, Cinderella, Where the Wild Things Grow, etc.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:53 PM   #16
Luinalatawen
Wight

Luinalatawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luinalatawen
Shield

Personally, I don't really do any Sci-fi. I took a class last month called "Love and Sex in Medieval Art and Modern Film" in which we watched a movie just about every day. Most of them had huge fantasy elements in them. One of my favorites was Ladyhawke. Also, I'm currently in a fantasy literature class and we watched the silent Dracula film Nosferatu on Thursday. LotR, Smith of Wootton, and Farmer Giles of Ham are just a few of the titles on the book list for that class, so I'm excited I tend to like medieval era movies, so pretty much any film set in Medieval times with a fantasy theme will be one of my favorites.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:42 AM   #17
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dūm

Saurreg has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saurreg Send a message via MSN to Saurreg
I like David Lynch's Dune, Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal and Ralph bakshi's Fire and Ice. The first Conan movie was ok too.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:53 PM   #18
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I would say I'm no fan of fantasy films, but thinking about it, there are a few decent ones aside from LotR - which is the best one of course (yes, despite the story errors!).

Excalibur is a classic. It's very over the top, but then when you want to watch something about King Arthur then you want mad and far fetched! Though Merlin reminds me a little of Leonard Rossiter. If sci-fi is being included, then I've got the Star Wars trilogy and still haven't watched it but I remember it as being good. I also enjoyed all the Matrix films, even the ones which pontificate. But my favourite sci-fi has to be Close Encounters - which I wouldn't class in this category as its mostly earth bound and doesn't feature any kind of secondary world.

One I can recommend is the BBC adaptation of Gormenghast. This really does leave out a lot of the book, but the sheer drama of it is well worth seeing, plus it's got a fabulous cast, including Christopher Lee as Flay. Also The Box of Delights, an early 80's adaptation from John Masefield is also now available, which is worth watching, particularly if you like a bit of nostalgia like me. Spirited Away, a Japanese animated film which was a massive success has been recommended to me, but I haven't got around to watching it yet - apparently it takes at least two viewings to properly grasp the story.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:30 PM   #19
Eruanna
Memento Mori

Eruanna has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I've recently watched Spirited Away, it's a beautiful film, although a little bit confusing at times!
Another Japanese animation called Princess Mononoke is also a lovely story, beautifully drawn
I thought the BBC did a good job on Gormenghast, the sets were amazing.
Thanks for the tip about The Box of Delights Lalwendė that's definitely one for me to look out for.
I agree about John Boorman's Excalibur. Nicol Williamson all but chews the scenery. I did find Arthur's accent a little bizarre; but it is, as you say, a classic.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:30 PM   #20
Shelob
Shade of Carn Dūm

Shelob has just left Hobbiton.
My favorite non-LOTR fantasy movie is Princess Bride, but since most of you seem to agree with me there I will only add the point that if you have not read the book you really ought to.

Elsewise I enjoy Star Trek (and Encaitare it's really funny you should say you got the movies at the final sale of a video store--that's where we originally got ours, though we've since bought DVD coppies of them all), most anything that could be classified as action (so Indiana Jones, Pirates of the Carribean, and similar) as well as anything bassed off of a book ( but that's more because I like comparing texts to their movie interpretations).

And, while it might fit in this category only marginally, I would add to the general mix Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

For those of you who have suggested Gormenghast, is that worth reading/watching? I've heared about it piecemeal but never enough to determine what it's about or if it would be an interesting read. Thanks.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:02 AM   #21
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Is Gormenghast worth reading? Oh yes!

It is, more than anything, a tale about the castle Gormenghast, from which the trilogy (usually found bound in one doorstop of a single volume edition nowadays) gets the title. This is an immense place filled with history, danger, junk and dust. And weird people. There is the Groan family, the nobles, who are weird enough, but in addition there are a myriad other people who keep the whole place running. It is almost undefinable as to which category of fiction it could be placed in, though it does tend to be seen as fantasy. But it also has strong elements of gothic horror and satire.

The main narrative thread follows the adventures and machinations of Steerpike, a kitchen boy who has escaped, and now seeks to climb the social ladder of Gormenghast, along the way upsetting the established order - which in itself is stifling and inexplicable. Some of the best characters include: the sinister Flay - former manservant to Lord Groan, Fuchsia - eccentric and romantic daughter of Lord Groan, and the Prunesquallors - the castle doctor and his man-mad sister.

I'd recommend reading it before seeing the BBC version - as then your imagination will be able to run riot imagining the gothic splendour of the place.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:35 AM   #22
Milord Aldagrim
Pile O'Bones

Milord Aldagrim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Milord Aldagrim
I might sound redundant here, but I too like Star Wars and Star Trek. I also love Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal. Another good on is Prince Valiant, which is based on the comic strip. The Mummy movies are good. Oh, I almost forgot a great one! The Wolfman with Lon Chaney Jr.
Milord Aldagrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 02:15 PM   #23
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

I too love the Mummy movies. I have them memorized and enjoy reciting them, accents and all...

Gormenghast sounds really cool... I shall add it to my mile-long list of Books to Read.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:04 PM   #24
Kitanna
Child of the West

Shield

MST3K (Mystery Science Theater 3000), always an excellent choice. They make a few Tolkien references every now and again too.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:12 PM   #25
aelithes
Pile O'Bones

aelithes has just left Hobbiton.
I'd have to say The Princess Bride, Willow, and Legend. Now, my choice of fantasy movies is almost entirely a matter of circumstance and a product the generation I grew up in, so I make no claims whatsoever in terms of their level of quality! Though I think one unanimous positive factor of all three films is their unerring quotability.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:39 AM   #26
Shuki

Of course I like Willow, Legende and into the Labyrinth (David Bowie was so cool) But I also remeber: Ladyhawk Do anybody know these film? With Rudger Hauher and Michelle Pfeiffer and Matthew Broderick (a realy very young Matthew) It“s very romantic, fantastic...and have a very good filmmusic.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:31 AM   #27
Kitanna
Child of the West

Shield

Ladyhawke is an excellent movie. Almost all '80's fantasy movies are good though.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:20 PM   #28
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
I Like

The Princess Bride
Ladyhawk
Willow
Star Wars (But not the attack of the clones)
The neverending Story (But NOT NOT NOT number 2 and 3, those are just horrible to say the least. especially when you've read the book)
Of course I also like The dark Crystal
And also to add a few Disney movies Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, The little mermaid and Alladin
Of course Monty Python and the Holy Grail is great.
However Excalibur...that movie just makes me laugh, especailly the tinfoil castle.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:19 AM   #29
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

I've just remembered something else worth checking out, the old Robin of Sherwood ITV series (UK). I believe this was fairly popular in the US too, and they are all available on VHS/DVD - the early episodes are the best. Though it's based on English legend and has a medieval setting (inlcuding actual historical characters) it's very much a fantasy drama with strong pagan themes, e.g. Robin commuicates with Herne the Hunter. The storylines were always exciting and the cast was usually good - including a much younger Ray Winstone as Will Scarlett, and the music was stunning.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:33 AM   #30
Faramir
Animated Skeleton

Faramir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Faramir
My favorite fantasy movies are:

1.Reign of Fire-Good Battles with Dragons and some good effects

2.Star Trek 2-The Wrath or Khan-I like This Movie because of the "fighting" i didnt like how spock died though.

3.Harry Potter (1,2&3)-Some good effects,I like the Books more than the movies though.

4.The Cartoon-Wizards-A very odd Cartoon,it has hiltler in it so that kinda made me mad.

5.Dungeons and Dragons-I love this movie just because the dwarves are as tall as men and the fightings ok.
Faramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 07:12 AM   #31
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynė

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
White Tree

I'll second Lalwende's point:
Quote:
One I can recommend is the BBC adaptation of Gormenghast. This really does leave out a lot of the book, but the sheer drama of it is well worth seeing, plus it's got a fabulous cast, including Christopher Lee as Flay.
This was an excellent film, oh most excellent! I haven't gotten my hands on the books though, which saddens me.

I also am a Star Wars fan.

And one, heretofore unmentioned: Final Fantasy. Yes, I know, they're video games not movies, but the storylines are good enough that I think at least the more recent ones should qualify. Then there's the FF movie, the Spirits Within, which I own and thoroughly enjoy. I'd love to see a film version of FFX though, and I bet it could be done if someone was inventive.

Another vote for the Wonderworks Narnia films. Particularly the Silver Chair, I love the portrayal of Puddleglum.

And last but not least, I love and always have loved the Rankin-Bass Hobbit. The Bakshi LOTR I can take or leave, and the R-B ROTK I can just plain leave, but the Hobbit I think is a classic.

Anime? I like the wildly overdramatic Vision of Escaflowne series.

Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 12:00 PM   #32
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
In the words of Inigo Montoya of the 'Princess Bride, "...there is too much. Let me sum up."

* SciFi *
Trek - the TV shows but not so much the movies (sigh).
Star Wars - the original three were okay for adolescents; can't say that the new two were any good.
Terminator - ground breaking romantic action flick.
V the mini series - aliens as fascists. It could happen!
Frank Herbert's Dune - better than the original movie and an introduction to some great books by a superb author.
Tron - one day we'll play video games like this.
Aliens - action comedy and lots of pyrotechnics.
Escape from New York - Kurt Russell finally lets go of 'Flubber.'

* Fantasy *
Excaliber - a really good over-the-top Arthur movie.
The Princess Bride - wit, true love and comedy. The book is a story in itself.
Legend - some D&D, lots of surrealism and Mia Sara as the 'dark bride' is stunning.
The Sword and the Sorcerer - good slash'em testosterone B-flick.
The Dark Crystal - Henson/Oz puppet movie for kids and adults.
Willow - more D&D with different 'races,' some magic, romance and swordplay.
Krull - more D&D with a SciFi twist.
Xena - what's not to like?
Beauty and the Beast TV show - some action in a fantasy romance. Much poetry by Shakespeare, Frost, Shelley, etc.
Robin Hood - the classic movie still holds up over time. Can watch it with the kids without fear of nightmares.
alatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 12:49 PM   #33
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Yes, indeed: Princess Bride, Spirited Away, the BBC Gormenghast (it didn't get particularly good reviews when it was shown in the UK, but I loved it. Never read the books but really feel I should)

Query - has the Earthsea Quartet been filmed? Can anyone supply more info?

But the greatest ever fantasy film has to be the Wizard of Oz, surely...
Old 02-22-2005, 03:00 PM   #34
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Also amazingly amusing is Robin Hood: Men in Tights. A Brooks take on the story. And if we are allowed to include SciFi, then I must mention Spaceballs.

And if TV shows count... Animorphs. I read all the books and watched the TV show, only to have it taken off the air.. *sigh*
Old 02-22-2005, 07:34 PM   #35
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynė

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
White Tree

Lalaith:
Quote:
Query - has the Earthsea Quartet been filmed? Can anyone supply more info?
I don't believe it has. But when someone does it, I'll be the first one in line.
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 08:58 PM   #36
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Not sure whether this is what you're talking about... Earthsea at IMDb.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:23 PM   #37
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

How could I?

I forgot to mention the Narnia movies I really like them and I hope the new version of the Lion,the witch and the wardrobe that is being filmed right now will live up to the old one that was made.

Plus of course the Harry Potter movies.

I also love Robin Hood and the men in tights. Its one of my favourites!
Old 02-23-2005, 09:53 AM   #38
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathriel
I also love Robin Hood and the men in tights. Its one of my favourites!
Was that Robin Hood, and the Mel Brooks version, or do you mean one movie? I like the 50's version with Errol Flynn and the 'Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves' version with Kevin Costner.

And Mel Brooks lost something after making 'History of the World' or I got too old.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:57 PM   #39
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I meant the one by Mel Brooks.

History of the World Part One is also a favourite of mine but its not fantasy.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:06 PM   #40
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathriel
History of the World Part One is also a favourite of mine but its not fantasy.
Agreed. Just meant to say that Spaceballs and Men in Tights left me laughless.