The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2005, 03:26 PM   #1
Neurion
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Standing amidst the slaughter I have wreaked upon the orcs
Neurion has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree Weapons and armour

Suppose you were embarking on an adventure into the wilds of Middle-Earth. Of what race would you be? What weapons and armour would you bear?
Neurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 04:41 PM   #2
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Since this is not a book discussion, I'm moving the thread to the Novices and Newcomers forum. Please continue to read and post there.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 06:04 PM   #3
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

I would suppose I'd be a dwarf. With the sturdy Erebor forged mail, and a handy axe. Also, because of the dwarves' endurance, be able to run quite a ways.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 11:36 PM   #4
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynė

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Shield

Well, presuming I was a man and not a woman sitting decently in the house while all the fighting went on without me, I would want to be one of the Rohirrim. War horses and plumed helmets and a norse-styled sword for me, thanks.

Sophe
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 03:56 AM   #5
ohtatyaro
Wight

ohtatyaro has just left Hobbiton.
Colt is outta question, is it?

Or Winchester? Sherriff's star and sombrero, and the black horse...

But that's kidding

I'd be a man, I suppose. Sword and, maybe, round shiled (the one to be carried behind my back, and the sheath of the sword likewise). If it were not heavy a load to carry, I would probably review a crossbow as an option too. With an optical sight? I suppose elven smiths would be able of making one? (Feanor, simlarills, that kind of staff - with transparent gems for lens). Where there crossbows in Middle Earth, anyway?

But I never knew how to ride, so I'd be on foot. Black horse is sucked down the drain along with the sombrero...
Old 01-20-2005, 05:13 AM   #6
Selmo
Shade of Carn Dūm

Selmo has just left Hobbiton.
I'm a hobbit so, like the hobbits of the Fellowship, I'd probably set out out on an adventure without any weapons or armour and survive by meeting people like Tom and Strider.
Selmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 01:53 PM   #7
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
I think I'd like to be a man. From Gondor. Preferably the Belfalas region. Armoured in classic steel-and-mithril, with a good heirloom-of-a-sword, and a nice greyish cloak...

Perhaps a lebethron walking stick....

Of course I'd have to take food, and spare clothes, and other essentials along.

And I think one of those pedigreed horses of the Knights of Dol Amroth would do well for transport.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:06 PM   #8
Lolidir
Wight

Lolidir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lolidir
Eye

i would have to say that i would be an elf, since they are so awesome. i would half prolly some light armor, something like chain mail. something that doesnt hinder my arms to much because i would be dropping people off from a long way away with my bow. i would also carry a decent sized sword on my back just incase things got a little to close for me. i would be riding a nice white, maybe a brown one.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:59 PM   #9
misty's hopping mt.
Pile O'Bones

misty's hopping mt. has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

i would want to be a ranger of ithilien i would have a longbow of ash or yew wood as a primary weapon and as a secondary weapon id have a one and a half hand sword aka a sword that can be weilded one or two handed. as for armor i would have leather archer armor. i think that would be cool
Old 01-23-2005, 11:27 AM   #10
Finwe-89
Wight

Location: In Lotholorien, looking in the mirror that shows that there is still hope for life...
Finwe-89 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Finwe-89
I supose I would be a Elf of Lorien. They have great fight skills. And great weapons like their longbows and swords.

Beware: Don't speak this loud when you're alone in the dark... Unless you really want it... But don't say I didn't warn you...
Finwe-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 08:44 PM   #11
Assasin
Wight

Assasin has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I would be an elf, I'd preferably have a full suit of Mithril. (Preferably.) Maybe even a blanket. And a really cool helmet that strikes fear into the heart of my enemies. For weapons, generally, I'd like something that hurts.
Assasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 09:42 PM   #12
gorthaur_cruel
Haunting Spirit

gorthaur_cruel has just left Hobbiton.
I suppose by Middle Earth, you rule out Aman? No Vala then.

From the ME folks, I'd definitely be a wizard. A cloak and a good sword is enough for me. :P
gorthaur_cruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 01:04 AM   #13
Assasin
Wight

Tolkien

Gorthaur Cruel, if you were a wizard, why would you need a sword? You'd have the cool magic. And the cooler staff.
Assasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 02:13 PM   #14
TomBrady12
Haunting Spirit

TomBrady12 has just left Hobbiton.
I would want to be a man of Dol Amroth. A heavy chainmail Hauberk would do me quite well, with maybe a heavy leather vest (aka Eomer in the movie) on top. A wide bladed, heavy two handed sword would probibly be my choice of a weapon. I'd also carry about an eleven inch dagger on my leg. If wearing a helm, I would probibly opt for something similar to early saxon style, with a nose guard, ear flaps, and curving guards encircling the eyes. Over all would be a flowing cape of light blue. In this garb I would gladly follow the Lord Imrahil to whatever end may take me.
TomBrady12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 02:13 PM   #15
Neurion
Shade of Carn Dūm

White Tree

Not sure whether I'd be a Man or an Elf, but if of the races of men, then Son of Gondor, and the following gear, assuming I was going on a journey and not directly into battle in which case I'd want as much armour as possible.

Black Gondorian tunic, black breaches, Gondorian soldier's cuirass with gorget, a light helmet with ear-slots to allow better hearing, one-piece shoulder pauldrons, Gondorian vambraces, rearbraces, one-piece tassets with engraved sea-bird wings like Elendil's, cuisses with attached polleyns, tall leather lace-up boots like Faramir's, Gondorian cross-belt with either a bastard sword or a two-handed greatsword, several daggers of varying lengths, a longbow and quiver of arrows, a large grey-green or black cloak, and no chain-maille to save weight and make less noise.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:54 AM   #16
ohtatyaro
Wight

ohtatyaro has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
A cloak and a good sword is enough for me
Just that? However woolly the cloak, you'd be bothered by drifts round your, m-mm, wossname, nether parts, I reckon . Also cool sheath touching on naked skin on cold winter's night is not a pleasant thing to be touched with likewise...

Just kidding

Summarizing, so far, we have some elves, some men and one dwarf.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:36 AM   #17
Faramir
Animated Skeleton

Faramir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Faramir
White Tree

id be a man(of Gondor),Id be a Bowman of Lebennin.Id have a long ash bow and a one handed sword.For amour id have a chain mail shirt with a leather armour shirt over that with the crest of the white tree. Id would either have a black or dark green cloak.
Faramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 09:02 AM   #18
Beleg Cuthalion
Wight

Beleg Cuthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faramir
id be a man(of Gondor),Id be a Bowman of Lebennin.Id have a long ash bow and a one handed sword.For amour id have a chain mail shirt with a leather armour shirt over that with the crest of the white tree. Id would either have a black or dark green cloak.
Aha, a Lebenin Archer.
Beleg Cuthalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 10:37 AM   #19
gorthaur_cruel
Haunting Spirit

gorthaur_cruel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Gorthaur Cruel, if you were a wizard, why would you need a sword? You'd have the cool magic. And the cooler staff.
Just in case you've only seen the movie, try reading the book I'd want one for the same reason Gandalf has Glamdring. Tolkien's Istari are very different from the traditional spell-muttering wizard.

Quote:
Just that? However woolly the cloak, you'd be bothered by drifts round your, m-mm, wossname, nether parts, I reckon . Also cool sheath touching on naked skin on cold winter's night is not a pleasant thing to be touched with likewise...
Yeah, but that's not too bad compared to the people above going around wearing only a shirt of mail (Which, by the way, usually doesn't extend downwards as far as a cloak does And it's itchier.)

Quote:
Summarizing, so far, we have some elves, some men and one dwarf.
...and a wizard.
gorthaur_cruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 11:30 AM   #20
aelithes
Pile O'Bones

aelithes has just left Hobbiton.
Make that two wizards! Or maybe half a wizard and half a Lorien Elf (I can't decide)! Men would be better at brute-force fighting, but I like the allure of this rather mysterious, otherworldly sense of experience and knowledge.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:23 PM   #21
Neurion
Shade of Carn Dūm

White Tree

Here's an image to illustrate what my prefered Gondorian armour style would look like:
Light armour

"And a cold voice rang forth from the blade.

Yea, I will drink thy blood, that I may forget the blood of Beleg my master, and of Brandir slain unjustly. I will slay thee swiftly."
Old 02-12-2005, 01:36 AM   #22
Assasin
Wight

whoa! Neurion! that's light armor? I'd hate to see what heavy armor was...
Old 02-12-2005, 02:08 PM   #23
Neurion
Shade of Carn Dūm

White Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assasin
whoa! Neurion! that's light armor? I'd hate to see what heavy armor was...
Well, light by Gondorian standards I guess.

I called it "Light" mainly because I dropped the greaves in favour of Faramir-style boots and omitted any chain-maille, as well well as replacing the long six-lamed tassets with smaller one piece ones. An important factor in the design was to eliminate any hanging plates and instead have it all fitted closely to the body as much as possible.

Also, as this is supposed to be a 4th Age harness, I altered the design of the White Tree, basing it on a simplified variation of the White Tree on Arwen's banner, which seems symbolic of the sapling of Nimloth that Aragorn plants.

Maybe I'll do full armour sometime later.

"And a cold voice rang forth from the blade.

Yea, I will drink thy blood, that I may forget the blood of Beleg my master, and of Brandir slain unjustly. I will slay thee swiftly."
Old 02-12-2005, 05:15 PM   #24
AragornII
Wight

AragornII has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

I'd probably be a Ranger of the North. I'd have a earthy colored cloak to blend in some good walking/running boots, a bow, and maybe a knife or two. My sword would be of medium length and double edged. I wouldn't have a shield because I think they're just too hard to carry on the run for a long time. I'd go on foot when I could, riding a horse when necessary.
The crownless again shall be king.
AragornII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 05:49 PM   #25
Linnahiril Tinnufinwen
Haunting Spirit

Linnahiril Tinnufinwen has just left Hobbiton.
I would very much like to be an Elven archer from Lothlorien. But in reality, I would probably not be a fighter at all. I would probably embark on a bard's journey; that is, travel around Middle Earth and tell tales and sing songs in the different royal courts. Either that, or travel around so that I could study different cultures and languages, being a Gondorian scholar of the race of Men. Both as a bard and a scholar, I would probably be armed very lightly, but carry all sorts of books and journals so that I could record my journey on paper.