The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-11-2002, 07:38 AM   #1
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting Burial ceremonies

Can anyone tell me about the burial ceremonies in different ME cultures - I mean of course, dwarves, hobbits and men, since elves are immortal. I realise this is closely linked with their concept of death, which is being discussed elsewhere, but I am more interested in the 'material' part of the burial: where and how.
<retreats and respectfully waits for the answers of the wiser ones>
Old 08-11-2002, 08:06 AM   #2
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

Just off the top of my head: the Mark bury their dead; the Men of Gondor put theirs in mausolea; we know that the Arnorians put theirs in barrows, in fact most Men inter the deceased.
I'd take the tomb of Balin as an indication that the Dwarves also practice burial, beneath stone markers in accordance with their love of working stone, but I can't think of anything that indicates what Hobbits do with the remains of the departed. Anyone got a convenient quote?
Old 08-11-2002, 08:17 AM   #3
Telephirion
Pile O'Bones

Telephirion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

After the battle of the Shire during which Saruman's soldiers are slain or chased away by stout hobbits, it is said in the book that those hobbits who were killed in the fighting were buried in a great barrow. This is just off the top of my head, though. I think there was also a marker to honour the brave Halflings who fought for the Shire.
Old 08-11-2002, 08:33 AM   #4
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Thanks, Telephirion; I was forgetting that. Time for a re-read, methinks.
Old 08-11-2002, 08:41 AM   #5
the_raging_jackass

Sting

The Men of Gondor, in the beginnings of the Third Age, had somewhat... questionable burial methods. When a loved one died, all his family and close friends gathered to his house. They would strip the body and cover it with goose feathers, and would each take a turn sleeping on it at night. No one wanted to be at the end, because the body was somewhat decayed by then. After everyone had taken a turn, which sometimes took over a month, the body was cut into equal proportions, so everyone could take a little piece of "Dave" home. This is all written in UT, page 157-159.
Old 08-11-2002, 08:55 AM   #6
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

Thanks, everyone.
How about when Boromir died and they put him in a boat and sent him down a water stream, with a sword on his chest? And they recite that poem about the winds? That was reminiscent of the vikings' burial rituals. But maybe that wasn't an actual ritual?
Old 08-11-2002, 09:01 AM   #7
the_raging_jackass

Sting

When the poem about the winds is spoken, it is actually a secret way of the dead man's friends talking about the time he broke wind in front of the Baron. It was an embarassing time, and they don't want to bring it up in front of everyone.
Old 08-11-2002, 09:28 AM   #8
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Quote:
How about when Boromir died and they put him in a boat and sent him down a water stream, with a sword on his chest? And they recite that poem about the winds? That was reminiscent of the vikings' burial rituals. But maybe that wasn't an actual ritual?
They were a bit pressed for time to dig a grave:
Quote:
'First we must tend the fallen,' said Legolas. 'We cannot leave him lying like carrion among these foul Orcs.'
'But we must be swift,' said Gimli. 'He would not wish us to linger. We must follow the Orcs, if there is hope that any of our Company are living prisoners.'
'Then let us do first what we must do,' said Legolas. 'We have not the time or the tools to bury our comrade fitly, or to raise a mound over him. A cairn we might build.'
'The labour would be hard and long: there are no stones that we could use nearer than the water-side,' said Gimli.
'Then let us lay him in a boat with his weapons and the weapons of his vanquished foes,' said Aragorn. 'We will send him to the Falls of Rauros and give him to Anduin. The River of Gondor will take care at least that that no evil creature dishonours his bones.'
The funeral of Boromir is, then, a hastily improvised affair. Their first choice would have been to bury him, but lacking the tools for a grave and materials for a cairn, the river was chosen to bear him away. It is very redolent of a Viking funeral, though, and perhaps this is why it seems so fitting that it should be done in this way.
Old 08-11-2002, 09:31 AM   #9
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Sting

well,jackass, there are four types of winds, you know: the northern, southern, western, and eastern wind. which one are you talking about?