The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-07-2003, 07:40 AM   #1
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Sting RotK facts, spoilers or anything related discussion!

<B>Well this is just a thread to discuss the coming RotK. You can discuss anything (e.g. facts, things said, spoilers etc) you wish as long as it is related to RotK.</B><P>Everything has been leading up to this… it’s taken five years, a R2 – billion (what’s R2 – billion in $?) budget, thousands of pairs of hobbit feet and endless patience on the part of the fans ! But at last the wait is almost over the long wait! Brace yourself for murderous spiders, betrayal, madness and a final bloody battle which according to those in the know is going to make all previous epic fight scenes look like “a hobbit family picnic”. <P>After a three bum-numbing hours of drama it will al be over – good will triumph over evil and the world will be a safer place again. The Return of the King is being billed as the saddest and most harrowing episode in the series. It’s expected to be one of the front runners in the best picture race at the next year’s Academy Awards. <P>Us fans are on tenterhooks to see what the monstrous spider looks like – so far no pictures have been released of and all we know for sure is that like Gollum she’s a digital creation. And given that Peter Jackson suffers from arachnophobia these scenes are bound to be, um, creepy. Peter says that the shelob shots did scare him and made him want to flinch. While the two hobbits pit their wits against the awful arachnid, Gandalf, Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas are gearing up for the battle of Minas Tirith in which their small group fights off the dark Lord’s army of 200 000. It took the film crew of hundreds of experts roughly six months to build Minas Tirith and mastermind the battle. No expense is spared and after all that hard work the end result is so terrifyingly realistic its being ranked as one of the most exciting war scenes ever to be brought to the big screen. <P><B>Here are some facts</B><P>- The first two films scored 19 Oscar nominations and won six. Together they’ve both grossed more than $1, 8 billion worldwide, making it the most successful fantasy series since Star Wars. Wowee… imagine making that much money.<P>- More than 2 400 people were involved in the trilogy<P>- A special weaponry workshop was set up to produce 48 000 swords, scabbards, axes and shield; 900 suits of armour and 200 orc masks. Imagine playing with those o_O<P>- For the battle of Minas Tirith, digital effects were used to create he enemy army of 200 000.<P>- The scenes were filmed on a sheep farm. The catering team needed 1 440 eggs and 400 loaves of bread a day to prepare breakfast for the cast. Just breakfast what about Lunch?<P>- Liv Tyler (Arwen) revels it wasn’t much fun kissing Viggo Mortensen (Aragorn) because of his prickly facial hair. <P>- Many of the elf actors were hoping to keep there pointy ears as mementos but unfortunately because they were made of gelatine the melted.<P>- Live Tyler (Arwen) hated her long elvish robes. “Its so hard to walk gracefully when your tripping ever two seconds” she sad. “I would be trying to look all ethereal and then I would trip and scream, ‘Ah, this ******* dress!’ Then I would hear ‘cut’ because they defiantly didn’t us the ‘f’ word in middle earth.” Or do they o_O?<P>~Niluial<p>[ 8:49 AM December 07, 2003: Message edited by: Niluial ]
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 08:05 PM   #2
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<B>To Spoil or Not to Spoil?</B><P>Curses! I just found out a spoiler that I shouldn't have... the beginnings of Sméagol and his finding of the Ring are shown. Damn, that would have been a nice suprise!<P>Now I am firmly convinced... no more spoilers for me! I want to have a few pleasant surprises, even if there are one or two unpleasant ones.
Old 12-09-2003, 08:35 AM   #3
lalaith

Sting

"Liv Tyler (Arwen) revels it wasn’t much fun kissing Viggo Mortensen (Aragorn) because of his prickly facial hair"<P>That's odd...I read somewhere else that Sandra Bullock, when acting with Viggo, made sure she messed up the kissing scene so she'd have to do it again and again...because she said he was by far the best kisser in Hollywood....
Old 12-09-2003, 11:56 AM   #4
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<A HREF="http://www.elvesrule.com/rotk_review.html" TARGET=_blank>ribald blow by blow review of RotK</A> A very old friend of mine sent me his girlfriends review.<P>I imagine that minus the Elf-chick obession, it will sum up my experinces also .<P>Anyway, despite the coarse language and grammar that makes mine look excellent, there is an extremely comprehensive, chapter by [oft missing] chapter review.
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 12:15 PM   #5
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I think I'm going to go off and have a heart attack right now. That was so BLOODY AMAZING!!!!!!!!! Now I'm practically salivating over RotK, which will come out in 8 more days!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 12:24 PM   #6
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Glad you liked it Finwe!<BR>I enjoyed the review too... Forewarned is forearemed I always say, when going to see LotR at least...
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 12:52 PM   #7
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Thumbs up

Thanks for posting that lindil. I knew most of the plot and the changes already, but it's nice to see a more detailed explanation from someone who knows the books so well (unlike the reviewer on the other major spoiler link).<P>Forewarned is indeed forearmed, lindil. I have always been keen to know what changes have been made before seeing this film, since I only enjoyed TTT second time round, once I had got used to the changes. I'm not totally happy with all of those that have been made in RotK, but at least I don't have to spend the film worrying about them now. <P>Seeing a review like this from someone who obviously dislikes a lot more about the first two films than I do has utterly convinved me that I am going to really really really enjoy this film. I now officially cannot wait until next Thursday. <P>Oh and "get away from him, you filth!". Is that a homage to Lt Ripley in Aliens, or what?
Old 12-09-2003, 01:00 PM   #8
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I just thought I would pop in and tell everyone my seat is booked for the very first showing of RotK in South Africa, I am so excited!<P>Thank you lindil that link was great! <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Oh and "get away from him, you filth!". Is that a homage to Lt Ripley in Aliens, or what?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> haha that made me laugh!<P>~Niluial
Old 12-09-2003, 01:31 PM   #9
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I'm glad that "get away from him you filth" makes you laugh because by god it makes me grind my teeth with rage. This is worse news to me than the absence of Saruman, Houses of Healing, Faramir/Eowyn and the addition of sick Arwen, put together. How DARE they screw up the dialogue of Eowyn and the Witch King? The best and most stirring Tolkien ever wrote... And no Eomer finding Eowyn on the battlefield, no "death take us all"... <P>Oh well, like we said before, forewarned is forearmed.
Old 12-09-2003, 01:41 PM   #10
Jjudvven
Wight

Jjudvven has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jjudvven
Sting

Oh now <I>that</I> is a major disapointment. I was fine until I read that! I can't believe they could mess that up also! > <P>I suppose it can't be helped. I'm still completely pumped about this movie anyway, even if they DO completely butcher the story.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:31 PM   #11
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> How DARE they screw up the dialogue of Eowyn and the Witch King? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It's not said in the Eowyn/Witch King scene. The homage is much more fitting, bearing in mind the addressee of Ripley's famous line. And it seems to me that it will work quite well.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:35 AM   #12
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Ah, sorry, I thought they'd used it to replace the dwimmerlaik line.<BR>BUT, nonetheless, according to this reviewer the dialogue is all gone, so whatever they replace it with is bound to make me cross.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:30 PM   #13
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Woo hoo! I have my tickets- Wednesday 17th of December 20:15!!<P>Go Shelob, its your birthday!
Old 12-11-2003, 07:55 PM   #14
Fire-Galad
Animated Skeleton

Fire-Galad has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Mattius, why would you like a giant spider that could eat you. And one more thing. I CAN'T BELIEVE IT. YOU GOT TICKETS TO SEE IT ON WEDNESDAY DECEMBER 17 THE OPENING DAY AND I HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL THE WEEK AFTER TO SEE ROTK AND I SOOOOO BADLY WANT TO SEE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel like Eowyn.
Old 12-13-2003, 01:48 PM   #15
Satch

Sting

*sways* I got to see RoTK on Wednesday night at the European premiere
Old 12-13-2003, 02:00 PM   #16
Tar-Alcarin
Wight

Tar-Alcarin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wedsnesday at 2:40. pefeect way to close up finals YooWhoo!!!<BR>I can wait. Im going with my friends and then again on thursday.
Old 12-13-2003, 02:02 PM   #17
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Well you should have booked like four weeks ago I did that and I got a middle seat, right where I like it XD. My friend booked her ticket four months ago.. now that is insane!<P>~Nilly