The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-18-2004, 09:07 AM   #1
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Homage to Shakespeare?

The scene from TTT (not in the book) with Eowyn and Wormtongue speaking near Theodred's death bed could have been conceived as a homage (or reference) to Richard III.

Remember the scene, at the beginning of the play where Richard is trying to get Anne to marry him, at the funeral of her husband? He is cunningly trying to seduce her, she starts off by being justifiably angry, then, gradually, as he persists, she gives in. Eowyn too does look for a moment like she's about to to give in in that scene, don't you think?
Old 04-18-2004, 09:24 AM   #2
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Heh, now whenever I read Richard III I shall think of Gloucester as Grima.

The Two Towers scene may well have been a subtle nod to Richard III, since no such scene between Eowyn and Wormtongue exists in the Lord of the Rings books. I don't notice too many similarities other than the general situation in both scenes, but when Anne says "Never hung poison on a fouler toad./Out of my sight! Thou dost infect mine eyes," it reminds me of Eowyn's, "Your words are poison."
Old 04-18-2004, 12:22 PM   #3
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
In all bluntness, both book and movie versions of LotR were Shakespeare reminiscent. The 'This Day We Fight" speech by Aragorn is, of course, comparable to Henry V's St. Crispen's Day Speech. There are almost countless character parallels if you look closely. One could say (not necessarily my opinion) that movie Theoden was oddly like King Lear, snivelling Grima Wormtongue like Richard III, Aragorn/Elessar like Henry V, jovial ol' Tom Bombadil like Falstaff, and so forth, despite the absence of Bombadil in the movies. There are both references and the use of Shakespeare's numerous character rubrics...

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 01:25 PM   #4
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
For some interesting parallels between the books and the works of Shakespeare, try this thread:

Glamis? Cawdor? A bookworm's musings
Old 04-18-2004, 03:13 PM   #5
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
The first time I watched TTT, I was wondering what the scene between Grima and Eowyn was reminding me of.

So it's either Richard III or a horrible flashback from my past.

The former, hopefully.

And of course there is the whole Entish Macbeth parallel that the above link refers to.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:18 PM   #6
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
I am reading the Iliad (the story of Troy by Homer) right now and I see some similarities also. One of them is the way the story is writen. ( I am reading the translated version, not the poem version) I can't remember what names exactly but there are names in the Iliad that are very similar to those in LOTR. Shakespeare must have been inspired by it too for there is a Laretes in both Hamlet and in the Illiad.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 05:31 AM   #7
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Deleted

Last edited by Meela; 11-22-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Meela is offline   Reply With Quote