The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 08:49 AM   #1
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien Reputations

Some of you have already noticed that we have activated the Reputation system of the Downs. If you haven't, look on any post on the forum, and you'll see a small icon beneath the name of each poster (right after the number of posts that member has). Hovering the mouse over that small icon will reveal that member's reputation on the Downs. Everyone starts out with the the reputation of "<member> has started on the path to adventure"

Looking below the Reputation icon, you'll notice another new icon in the shape of a scale. Hovering your mouse over it reveals the message "Add to <member's> Reputation." Clicking the icon brings up a small window where you can do one of two things: (1) Approve of the post; or (2) disapprove of the post. Both options allow you to add a comment stating why you made the choice you did.

As you can see, the idea is to rate the post, not the member. Your rating of the post, postive or negative, will affect that members reputation up or down. As reputations change, the Reputation messsage changes.

Please don't abuse the Reputation system. Don't use it as a way to play games or disrespect each other. Instead, use it to give your true opinion of the posts you rate. In doing so, you will give people a better idea of what we'd like to see on the Downs.

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2004, 03:17 PM   #2
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

Silmaril

You can see the reputations you have received, along with their comments, in your User CP. This means that user can see what rating you give to their posts!
Old 03-23-2004, 11:35 PM   #3
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Will we have the opportunity of choosing to turn off the 'Reputation' function?
Old 03-24-2004, 05:50 AM   #4
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

Tolkien

No, you will not be able to turn off the reputation feature for now. Unless the system becomes widely abused, we want it active so people can see what others think of their posts. Though the system is designed to make misuse quite difficult, if such a thing does happen and we are unable to control it (by censuring the abusers) we may consider allowing people to turn it off in the future, but I don't forsee the need for that.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:45 AM   #5
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

Silmaril What is your reputation?

I just noticed that by clicking the scale icon on one of your own posts you can see how many reputation points you have. It will also indicate if you are negative, even, or positive for that particular post.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:54 PM   #6
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I have a question about the reputation points. I know people give you your reputation, but on all of my posts it says that I have 14 reputation points and that the post is even. Even on posts that I just got done posting, it says that. Does the number of points ever change?
Old 04-19-2004, 05:43 AM   #7
Thorongil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thorongil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Thorongil
Thanks for clearing it up. And it is better if people give a comment, so you know why, If it's positive or negative.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:17 AM   #8
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
colors

BW-- Thanks for the info.

Green is good; blue/grey is negative? Then what's red?
Old 04-19-2004, 06:35 AM   #9
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

I hadn't realized there was a red. Since the blue/grey we were talking about before added 0 points, perhaps blue/grey is neutral and red is negative. The descriptions I gave were educated guess, because I didn't recall seeing the icons described on the documentation.

An amended description of the reputation icons:

high positive
positive
balanced / neutral (0 points?)
negative
high negative

Last edited by The Barrow-Wight; 04-19-2004 at 06:39 AM.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:52 AM   #10
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand Blue boxes

Thanks, BW. That's useful to know.

I have received three blue boxes with no comment, none of which affected my reputation count. Each of them relates to posts which really had nothing in them to either approve or disapprove of (particularly as two were simply setting questions in the Quiz Room). Since these were all received within a week, and given the rule about spreading reputation around, either there is more than one of these 'wizards' or he/she has been very busy indeed.

Also, can members with under 50 posts still approve/disapprove of posts (even though they cannot add or subtract reputation points in doing so)? If not, this 'wizard' cannot be a brand new member, since he or she must have at least 50 posts in order to be able to bring up a blue box in people's User CP.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:42 AM   #11
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

Shield

I think it must be a flaw in the software that those people actually show up on your list. Optimally they would not even be able to open the reputation box, or at least their clicks would never register. But until vBulletin sends out a fix, we will continue to see when people are doing this.

In the meantime, I will contact people who are abusing the system and get them to stop.
Old 04-19-2004, 01:34 PM   #12
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Same as Saucepan Man - I have had two of these neutral reputation boxes with no comment within the last week. However, one of these had mysteriously vanished when I looked this morning.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:30 PM   #13
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

Silmaril A reminder

Remember that it is considered bad form to leave negative reputation without a comment.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:40 PM   #14
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

Son of Númenor has just left Hobbiton.
I absolutely agree. I have only given negative reputation twice, and both times I have left an explanation and signed my screen name. I expect others to at least do the former for me, though I'll note that many have not.
"This miserable drizzling afternoon I have been reading up old military lecture-notes again:- and getting bored with them after an hour and a half. I have done some touches to my nonsense fairy language - to its improvement."
Old 08-14-2004, 01:50 PM   #15
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

I have only received one negative point and it came with a pretty offensive comment as well (and without a signature, of course ). This irked me somewhat, especially as the post which prompted this proverbial assault was really a nothing post in which I criticised the Departure of Denethor in the film.

I would argue that it is bad form to negative-ise someone without leaving a comment as well as your screenname. It's not a playground, we should be able to deal with differences easily here.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:29 PM   #16
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I may just be paranoid, but the thought occured to me that anyone can sign their name as anyone. It's a little disconcerting. I seriously doubt anyone with much rep points to give would do something so immature, but the identity thieving comment would still be there, wouldn't it? I am paranoid.

Edit: Oh, duh. Nevermind me. I got the bright idea to go back and read the guidelines on the first page of this thread, and apparently anyone who hasn't been around very long/has less than 50 posts/has a low reputation, should not be able to give reputation points or comments.

Last edited by Diamond18; 08-14-2004 at 02:41 PM. Reason: brain freeze
Old 08-15-2004, 11:40 PM   #17
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
The problem is solvable - if the person allegedly giving you bad rep have rated you before, you may know how much points his/her rate is worth. Per instance, if Mr BW rates you positive, you've got 10 points. If another instance you get negative of 2 points and it is signed BW, you know it's fake. The worth of rating of each member may increase (say, another 1,000 posts or similar will bring 1 point to the rating power), but over considerable period of time, and gradually.

edit: in answer to 'edit' of the preceding post

Anybody can give comments and points. Just prior to reaching 51st post (or so I gather) the points equal zero. So, the reputed member gets nice/grudgy comment and neutral blue-gray box with 0 points (not no points, 0 points, if you follow my meaning, kind ladies and gentlemen)

That is not deduction - I talk out of experience - several times I've been rated by newbies and the total score did not change, but the comments were there.

Thanks to all who took time, btw

cheers

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!

Last edited by HerenIstarion; 08-15-2004 at 11:54 PM.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:56 AM   #18
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

I received a *Blue* reputation point once. What's that all about?
Old 08-29-2004, 11:45 AM   #19
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
But I have other posts with one positive comment which are plain positive .... and the person who gave me them were lower in the rep ranking than the person who gave the somewhat positive rating

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 08-29-2004, 11:51 AM   #20
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Hookbill, blue ones are neutral. They are made by people with less than a fifty post count. They don't effect your score...

I'm sorry about the negative rep Aman..that's just mean.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:43 PM   #21
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

And I'm sorry about that post being made - a case of, shall we say, 'mistaken identity'. There is another user who has my username and password and who I asked to come on to send a few PMs as to why I was AWOL (I anticipated not being able to get on for another week or so). I texted her before she actually sent anything on my account, but unfortunately it seems she didn't sign out - and thus that post was born.

Incidentally, I don't like answamachines...and I am liable to quoting films...but otherwise, that post is not true on my account.

My apologies for that

More levels in both directions? Hmm, I wonder how many more there are to go downwards...

How low can y'go...how low can y'go...
Old 04-20-2005, 10:52 AM   #22
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
It's very nice and refreshing that this a family-friendly forum but I think receiving an (anonymous, mind you) bad reputation because I used the word 'damn' (which you can see the board does not censor) is a little over the top. Especially since the term was not used as an insult but in a humorous manner (see post 86, page 3 of this thread). This is not to argue with the personal beliefs of the reputation giver - if he/she thinks I deserved a bad rep, so be it, they're exercising their board-given right. This is just to bring once again to the attention a problem that has been brought many times since the rep system was made, but never, to my knowledge has it been eradicated: that of NOT signing negative reps. No one hesitates to sign positive reps, but most negative reps are left anonymous. Hmm. A not so flattering appelative comes to mind, and one that is not a swear word.

Not that I mind bad reps. It's quite interesting to get them, because they became so rare. And a difference has to be made, or else we'd all be heading for the Straight Road sooner or later, and what would be the fun in that? I for one am happy to be at Aragorn's court for I am enjoying myself immensely and do not wish to leave.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:35 AM   #23
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I think cowardly may be the word you are looking for.....

I finally cracked and gave a negative rep for a post I felt was quite malicious. But I signed it...

I suppose the only thing worse than not signing would be to sign with someone elses name... but perhaps I shouldn't give folk ideas...........

Old 04-21-2005, 07:55 AM   #24
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
I'd actually wondered about that, Mith... If some mischief-maker with a bad sense of humor decided to neg-rep somebody and sign it The Barrow-Wight, or Esty, or... davem. The only way you could tell is if the points you receive don't correspond with the points they have to give.

What got me thinking along those lines was the Crystal Heart fiasco and how we don't really know who anybody is at any given time, but for pure trust in words. Is there any way for our beloved Higher Ups to moniter rep-giving? I don't remember if that has been mentioned before. I know that most of my reps come from the real deal Downers, because they have cute personal references and such, but how can you really tell?

-Conspiracy Theory Fea
Old 04-21-2005, 09:47 AM   #25
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

But does neg rep have the same weight as positive? I think I just lost one point each time but since it was anonymous there was no way of telling if that was their "weight" or normal.....

Unsurprisingly it was that unfortunate business that prompted my neg repping - not the incident itself but a response to it which was too full of schadenfreude...

Old 08-20-2005, 12:53 AM   #26
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Could they be really old things from Crazy Captions
If that is true, will there be a point at which someone will get the title, " ____ has seen Gandalf the grey, uncloaked"?
Old 08-22-2005, 10:14 AM   #27
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Ah HA! I think I may just have cracked it!

Look at 'the guy who be short' on the Name generator. You get "Six-toothed Dwarf"

As The Guy who be short is a dwarf, can we assume that that is where Petty Dwarf comes from? It’s the best I could come up with.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:30 AM   #28
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

All I found was an amorous dragon.

Who would have thought that this 'treasure hunt' could be so much fun?
Old 08-22-2005, 10:42 AM   #29
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

'Creepy' is another adjective that the generator uses, so it could be ? was a Creepy Petty Dwarf ...
Old 08-22-2005, 10:46 AM   #30
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Eomer, did you capitalise 'the guy who be short' ? Because I didn't. Does that make any difference? But all the same, this is what I got...

So there!
Old 08-22-2005, 12:45 PM   #31
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

I did not capitalise.

And davem is not a frightened wood-elf according to my generator.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:52 PM   #32
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Wow... Odd how that prediction came true.

I doubt the petty dwarf refers to me - I'm not really as established on the Downs as all the others.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:52 PM   #33
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!

I made my way into someone else's rep? Now I'm going to have to figure out what I'm right about... Hm. Under the context, I could see it being from the "Island of Sorrow" RPG, but I'm not sure what I'm right about. Puzzles, puzzles. Oh well. I can do the phantom-thing and just take it to mean that I am ultimately right. Therefore, balrogs have wings.

Old 09-11-2005, 08:36 PM   #34
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
I made my way into someone else's rep? Now I'm going to have to figure out what I'm right about... Hm. Under the context, I could see it being from the "Island of Sorrow" RPG, but I'm not sure what I'm right about. Puzzles, puzzles. Oh well. I can do the phantom-thing and just take it to mean that I am ultimately right. Therefore, balrogs have wings.
Actually, it's not from Island of Sorrow. But it's more fun not to tell you who or what it's from... I just feel like being that way tonight.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:47 PM   #35
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Time to point fingers...

I just got an unsigned, no-comment rep. Don't know if it's the same as some of these other unsigned ones that are floating around, but I wanted to see if I could discover who it was. So I looked through the Member's List and came up with these three possibilities: Shelob, Lalaith, and NightKnight. Now, I probably missed some possibilities, but I'm sure it could have been any of those three.

So, whoever it was, confess now and no harm will com to you.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:38 PM   #36
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
Gurthang, is the hunt on? I want an excuse to use my Balrog mask!
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
Old 09-12-2005, 03:41 PM   #37
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
I think I should be exempt from that. I am after all a fellow Black Beorning, right? Right?? Besides, I'm pretty sure I'm not the one who repped you. I normally comment and sign mine.

Last edited by Glirdan; 09-12-2005 at 03:43 PM. Reason: The smilies!! I forgot the smilies!!!!
Old 01-01-2006, 03:06 AM   #38
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

OffTopicOwl says: "Lets get back on topic."

Old 01-01-2006, 01:35 PM   #39
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
I just wanna say thanks to Saucey for his last rep, he has always pulled out for me some way or another

and fainu, stop it, your turning into the BW...its creepy...

and i beleive the OffTopic Owl says : Off Topic ........
Old 01-01-2006, 02:04 PM   #40
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Another reputation-feeling: I've been away from the Downs for over a week and have found a lot of good new posts and I've wanted to positive-rep TGWBS three times. That's quite a lot.
Closed Thread