The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2012, 09:40 PM   #1
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
The Lord of the Rings Project

I don't really understand why this person is doing this, but it's a quite impressive, comprehensive family tree of Arda and ME characters.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:19 AM   #2
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Pretty cool, I'd say. Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

By the way, could anybody tell me where are those Beorn's other uncanonical relatives mentioned? Never heard about it.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:59 AM   #3
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Wow, that's massive! I've put together some family trees myself, but never anything that big, or tied-together! (meaning more like Elrond's family tree in my notebook involves only those in his direct line, not branching off to so many places)
Old 02-24-2012, 11:13 AM   #4
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
I did this once myself in 1979, I had it on a massive roll of paper, probably still up in the loft somewhere. Most of it is already in Tolkien's books or Robert Foster's Guide to Middle-earth.

Last edited by narfforc; 02-24-2012 at 11:20 AM.
narfforc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #5
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
By the way, could anybody tell me where are those Beorn's other uncanonical relatives mentioned? Never heard about it.
I think we have two non-identical Beorns there - one the skin-changer of Carrock, the other Eriol's uncle, mentioned along with his other relatives in BoLT.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
I think we have two non-identical Beorns there - one the skin-changer of Carrock, the other Eriol's uncle, mentioned along with his other relatives in BoLT.
Yes that's it, and I'm not sure I would add these characters myself. But this tree has changed a bit since last I saw it: for example formerly Orodreth was still Galadriel's brother and the father of Gil-galad.

I've not really looked at the whole thing, but if Ingwe had a son (attested at one point anyway), 'Ingil' is seemingly another lift from The Book of Lost Tales (and published by KW Fonstad as well, if I recall correctly) -- but the latest form is Ingwion as far as I know, attested somewhere in The War of the Jewels.

Anyway, it's a lot of work compared to my few quibbles (so far); but again I think including Hengest and Horsa and so on, is going to confuse things, even given the colour distinctions.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #7
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Ah, I see. All right then - what a pity, it would have been nice to have some more Beornings (and a whole family, on top of that!).

By the way: random note - I wonder what made me bolden the name "Beorn" in the original post
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:57 PM   #8
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Hmm, he was bold in battle
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #9
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Finally the proof: Bombadil and Goldberry are Neo and Trinity.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:04 PM   #10
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Very cool link, Inzil. Thanks for posting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galin
I think including Hengest and Horsa and so on, is going to confuse things, even given the colour distinctions.
What would be the reference/source for placing them roughly at the same time frame as Arwen and Aragorn?
Old 03-06-2012, 10:35 AM   #11
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Somebody apparently once did one of these using the software on the Ancestry website, but for the life of me, I can't find it anywhere. I wish I could because it's such impressive software and would look fabulous. I suspect it's the kind of thing the estate might have a pop at though