The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-28-2008, 11:13 AM   #1321
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
*French kisses Groin Redbeard*
Old 10-28-2008, 11:16 AM   #1322
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
*French kisses Groin Redbeard*
Just for that you're going down in WW!
Old 10-28-2008, 11:18 AM   #1323
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
Just for that you're going down in WW!
Tsk tsk, you called it upon yourself.

Funny paper, Hookbill. Especially the wart article & penguin-related mini headline.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:30 AM   #1324
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

*leaps in front of Groin and intercepts kiss*
Old 10-29-2008, 05:10 PM   #1325
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up Digestion station!

The full extent of Alien's obscene acts is revealed! Or rather, made slightly more disturbing. Just like the over all plot!

On Monday, we check in with every one's favorite phantom... The Phantom!
Old 10-30-2008, 09:40 AM   #1326
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
I'm liking that shopping list!
Old 10-30-2008, 06:11 PM   #1327
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I wonder where he'd go to get that, definitely not Wal-Mart or K-Mart, something very special is all I can say.

Also, for those who couldn't read the small print on the scroll it says: "Fish Man will soon be ready to take over the Barrow Downs."
Old 10-30-2008, 07:01 PM   #1328
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
I wonder where he'd go to get that, definitely not Wal-Mart or K-Mart, something very special is all I can say.

Also, for those who couldn't read the small print on the scroll it says: "Fish Man will soon be ready to take over the Barrow Downs."
Definentely, someplace that I've never gone shopping! Not that I've been shopping at K-Mart or Wal-Mart for a while...
Old 10-30-2008, 09:48 PM   #1329
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots Random Titles seek world domination...

Quote:
Definentely, someplace that I've never gone shopping! Not that I've been shopping at K-Mart or Wal-Mart for a while...
I'm thinking the internet. I'd buy Downs domination off the internet.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:48 AM   #1330
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Today is the last day to get your Phantom and Alien comics in! Remember; all your own art work, don't copy mine, make it self contained, and make it funny. I know what you're thinking, "Since when was The Phantom and Alien funny?" well, now is your chance to make it funny!

The winner(s) will receive: the next five episodes of Volume 2 and Episode one of Volume 3: The Legend of the Golden Bus Ticket.
The runners up will get the next three episodes.
Everyone who enters will receive a special picture that no one else will see.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:57 AM   #1331
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Aieee, honestly, I'm not sure if Greenie and I will make it. *sigh*
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:24 AM   #1332
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Hook the Bill, next contest you hold, make it a P&A cover contest. The idea being that everyone takes one of your episodes and creates it anew with their own art. It could be loads of fun.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:56 AM   #1333
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up Results of the contest!!!

Okay, I had Four entries for the contest. Picking a winner was difficult, but I think I made the right choice and was NOT bribed in any way. Ignore my new golden hat.

First Prize goes to this combined effort from The Phantom himself and Aganzir! You two can expect your reward in your PM boxes soon...

The prize for most well thought out goes to Legates at first confusing comic. Read it once or twice. Read it backwards. Read it upside down. It MAY make sense eventually...

The prize for best punchline goes to Gwathagor's effort...

The prize for 'Most Confusing' goes to Volo's spewing...

ANYONE WHO CAN WORK OUT WHAT'S SUPPOSED TO BE GOING ON IS A BETTER WIGHT THAN I...

Thanks to all of you! I am most impressed with your work!
Old 11-01-2008, 01:24 PM   #1334
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Hey, I really liked all of these! Even the first one, which was kind of disgusting at times (and not least because of the fact that it won ). But I had fun even making the comic, so thanks for that opportunity, Hookbill

And yes, when it comes to reading my comic, I think reading it at least twice is necessary...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:10 PM   #1335
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Yay! Thanks. I read the next volumes and they were great.

All your works were really crazy but that's the point of it I guess. Legate's was the most bewildering though. Gwath's made me smirk, and Volo's made me laugh almost hysterically. Did you actually have yourself exploded? And what is the Prime Minister of Finland doing there?
Old 11-01-2008, 07:11 PM   #1336
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
I like how Volo added the extra fire exploding from his arm-nubs, good attention to detail!

Also, officially am jealous at Aganzir's ability at angles and perspective, no wonder you made first!

~ Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:15 AM   #1337
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE Ka View Post
Also, officially am jealous at Aganzir's ability at angles and perspective, no wonder you made first!
Thanks. Though would you believe if I said I'm actually horrible at drawing angles and perspective (since I really am, at least by my own criteria )?
Old 11-02-2008, 05:43 PM   #1338
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up Week 121

Ignoring the Downs' clock because it's WRONG. Here is this week's Newspaper.
The second story was by Formendacil. Thanks and gold go to him. The mini headlines were by the phantom. A dustbin full of beaks go to him.

This week, The Phantom is sworn in to The Hoody Cloaky Group. The swearing in involved an awful lot of swearing, I can tell you. We were told that the episode was not fit for showing, hence, this one is a few hours after last Monday's episode. Still, that old plot s getting nice and thick. Like a pudding in a dog's stomach.

Comic Archive

The Downer is still open to any submissions you want to make. Want to get your story in 'print'? Just PM it to me and I'll throw it in. As long as it's not dreadfully offensive. Nothing about the BWH's recent *cough* toilet troubles. We promised him we wouldn't mention the terrible mess he made.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:36 PM   #1339
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
A super-secret hoody-cloaky stupidity fighting group of vigilantes?? Where do I sign up?? Are we allowed to use violent sarcasm??

I got my PandA fanart ah...um... thirteen percent done? Yeah. At least that much.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:10 PM   #1340
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Ewwww.

The miniheadlines made me crack up.
And the Finland Four.

Should I also replace my blood with beer? Would phantom love me more?
Old 11-02-2008, 11:31 PM   #1341
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots Random Titles deny their existence

Seconded, I love that theme. Good thing I'm a "person" not a "people."

As for the articles...of course Oxonmoot doesn't exist. It's a conspiracy really, to make poor people (er...persons) like me envious of those Europeans and their lovely accents. *sniff*
Old 11-03-2008, 01:53 AM   #1342
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
I quite agree with Morai. There is absolutely no evidence that Oxonmoot actually occurs. We all know how good Hookbill is with photo-shop.

If these Europeans really want to convince us that Oxonmoot is real, then they should buy all of us North Americans plane tickets to England! And, as final proof, put us up an five star hotels.

As for The Sandwich and Lettuce Appreciation Society, where I can I acquire an application to join?
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:35 AM   #1343
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Greggs?

Sinsterly, LMP, the retired world dictator, looks like he's standing on Parbold Hill. Something you are not telling us, Mr Hookbill?
Old 11-03-2008, 05:12 AM   #1344
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Should I also replace my blood with beer? Would phantom love me more?
I am pretty sure you'll be putting yourself in a lot of risk...

Anyway, yes, I liked this Downer, and especially the second article cracked me up... and the mini-headlines... well... now I see, this was what you were warning me about, tp...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:23 AM   #1345
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
well... now I see, this was what you were warning me about, tp...
Is it difficult to type with penguin flippers?
Old 11-03-2008, 09:23 AM   #1346
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Excellent job on the Phantom and alien articles. Though I must say that Aganzir's alien rendition scared me.

The Bread People? Does that have anything to do with my cousin Groin Breadbeard?
Old 11-03-2008, 09:44 AM   #1347
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
Sinsterly, LMP, the retired world dictator, looks like he's standing on Parbold Hill. Something you are not telling us, Mr Hookbill?
The Downer would like to assure all readers that we do not cave in to bribes, threats about our houses and or hills, or being pelted with stones. Now, if you'll excuse me, I will be heading to the most expensive private hospital in town for completely unrelated stone-pelting injuries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard
The Bread People? Does that have anything to do with my cousin Groin Breadbeard?
Possibly. Has he gone missing recently? If so, please ask LMP about it. I'm sure he'll have interesting things to say.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:28 AM   #1348
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
The Sandwich and Lettuce Appreciation Society
The only Beef I have with this fine organization is that it should have been named the Sandwich And Lettuce Appreciation Dictatorship.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:55 AM   #1349
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I am surprised and aghast and really amused by the Downers' sudden foray into American politics.

I allude of course to the headline, "Man annoyed by late bus: 'It was supposed to be here by now.' "

Although why John McCain would speak to the Downer about his derailed Straight Talk Express I'm not sure. Perhaps that's why he went for anonemnity.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:48 AM   #1350
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
They are wings, not flippers! Flipper, that's a dolphin! *glares*
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:08 PM   #1351
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen View Post
The only Beef I have with this fine organization is that it should have been named the Sandwich And Lettuce Appreciation Dictatorship.
Whereas I don't have a Beef with it, just a Bacon and Tomato.

*grabs coat*
Old 11-03-2008, 09:28 PM   #1352
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurinquë View Post
I quite agree with Morai. There is absolutely no evidence that Oxonmoot actually occurs. We all know how good Hookbill is with photo-shop.

If these Europeans really want to convince us that Oxonmoot is real, then they should buy all of us North Americans plane tickets to England! And, as final proof, put us up an five star hotels.

As for The Sandwich and Lettuce Appreciation Society, where I can I acquire an application to join?
I quite agree with Lauri! I do believe that the European Downers should all buy use poor unfortunate North American Downers plane tickets, and provide accommodation for the "Oxonmoot" so that they can prove to us that it actually exists!

Even though I will be going to England next summer, I wont be going when Oxonmoot time is around. So there is just further reason to pay for us!
Old 11-04-2008, 03:22 AM   #1353
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Forget about plane tickets, you should just build a ship and take the straight road.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:48 PM   #1354
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
Forget about plane tickets, you should just build a ship and take the straight road.
I thought you said prolonged travel by water was the worst?

Besides, I'd have to sail through Panama first, or go through the Arctic Circle (now that it's melting), but I might be kept in holding/and or charged with trespassing, considering everyone's fighting over it like a bunch of toddlers. Tisk, tisk.

~ Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:43 PM   #1355
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Boots Random Titles sail through land

Quote:
Besides, I'd have to sail through Panama first, or go through the Arctic Circle (now that it's melting), but I might be kept in holding/and or charged with trespassing, considering everyone's fighting over it like a bunch of toddlers. Tisk, tisk.
I'm in the same "boat." If only it could sail through land.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:28 AM   #1356
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
It'd certainly beat flying in one of Branson's airborne sheds and then enduring Terminal 5
Old 11-06-2008, 02:30 AM   #1357
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Lal and Alien get to know Davem a little better. The plot thickens, the story gets sillier, and there's a suspicious smell coming from the basement. I think John Fillis got locked down there with no toilet.

Comic Archive

What's going to happen next? Tune in on Monday to see how The Phantom gets on with the increasingly traitorous Hoody-Cloaky group!
Old 11-07-2008, 10:55 AM   #1358
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Awww, this Phantom and Alien made me sad instead of happy. Poor Alien, he looked so happy until his chips ran out.

Looking forward to Monday Hookbill.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:56 AM   #1359
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

"My crisps are all gone."

That is exactly how I felt during lunchtime today! And tonight! Lauri and I were watching the rest of season three (of Doctor Who, that is), and we ran out of crisps way before we finished watching it! AND NOW WE HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL THE END OF THE MONTH TO SEE THE NEXT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Put in place by Laurinque after the post was alredy done) -You know, I have a real name....... It's Laurinque. NOT Lauri!

Last edited by TheGreatElvenWarrior; 11-13-2008 at 12:12 AM.
TheGreatElvenWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 03:45 PM   #1360
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Apologies in advance. I know it's earlier than usual and the quality and alignment is probably off here and there. But I only got home a few hours ago and had to make this. I'm also feeling ill and am going to bed so won't be able to post this up at midnight as I usually do.

For the first time a while, I had to do this all by myself.

The Phantom learns where the Hoody-cloaky people meet. I am well aware of the spelling mistake in the last panel...

Comic Archive

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 11-10-2008 at 03:50 AM.
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote