The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2008, 08:24 AM   #1201
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Mr. the Goomba, I'm curious as to what's happening in the background of this comic.
Look at the end of the previous comic and see if you can guess.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:03 AM   #1202
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
...erm, why is Phantom hunted?

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:10 AM   #1203
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Mr. the Goomba, I'm curious as to what's happening in the background of this comic.
I think the dead phantom is lying on the ground and General Crock-face and his green assistant are talking.

By the way, nice job with the happy bunny road, Hookbill! I actually think I've been there.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:12 AM   #1204
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindale View Post
...erm, why is Phantom hunted?
Why indeed?

Quote:
I think the dead phantom is lying on the ground and General Crock-face and his green assistant are talking.
Well, The fake-Phantom, anyway.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:58 PM   #1205
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
Well, The fake-Phantom, anyway.
See, it even fooled me!
Old 09-19-2008, 07:15 AM   #1206
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
Really? Well in that case, I'm going to go home, dress up like a princess, and eat an entire box of twinkies.
I look forward to photos.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:46 AM   #1207
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
My compliments to the latest edition of The Downer! But I got a bit worried on Sunday when it didn't come out, I was a bit afraid that something happened to Hookbill and that's why there was no news!
Old 09-20-2008, 10:54 AM   #1208
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
My compliments to the latest edition of The Downer! But I got a bit worried on Sunday when it didn't come out, I was a bit afraid that something happened to Hookbill and that's why there was no news!
I had to get up early the next morning (7:00 in the morning IS early, considering I had regularly been sleeping until 10 at least for most of the summer), so I couldn't post it at midnight as usual. Should be no trouble this week. And, considering my new Time Table, for any future Downers for the next semester.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:02 PM   #1209
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

You may be wondering why I do this every week... You know what... So was I...

the phantom's work continues to be good. Give him compliments.

Purple Pete is one of my favorite characters from the new serise. I hope you like him too.

Comic Archive
Old 09-21-2008, 07:51 PM   #1210
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
...why did it take too long for Purple Pete to realize Phantom is lying...?

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:53 PM   #1211
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
...why did it take so long for that pun to be used, I'm wondering...

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:57 AM   #1212
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Why is it so hard to get hobbit blood off your face?

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:07 PM   #1213
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Taxman... You're working for no-one but them...

Purple Pete? I like that name... I should name my next pet that... It would be too mean to name a child that...
Old 09-23-2008, 03:42 PM   #1214
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

1420!

This is one of those Downer articles that you absolutely out did yourself on, Hookbill! I enjoyed this weeks Downer so much, everything from the headline to the comic, perfect job!

I thought that the picture of Lommy's fat sister as an oversized penguin was a stroke of genius!
Old 09-23-2008, 04:16 PM   #1215
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
... Why is it those stigmas stick into you?

And just to correct the misleading information in the Downer these two in the picture are elves trying to guide a company of clumsy men through Mirkwood...

Now you would trust these guys as your guides at any time, sure...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:30 PM   #1216
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots Random Titles get caught with lots of candy

I love the expressions in the last panel.....of the second to newest P & A. I'm so behind now...silly course load.

When I first saw the headline...I thought it was accusing me of a spelling error. Really, that's a rather cruel thing to say to a Creative Writing major. I nearly dropped my Reese's Pieces.

Death by Pick Axe? Does that mean I've died twice? Have I been "re-killed" as it were? Anyway, death by misinformed dwarves has to be expected; at least Groin's axe was shiny enough to hold my attention.

And now that I've finished this post, I'll shall feast upon peanut butter and chocolate candy.

Last edited by Morai; 09-23-2008 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Sugary jitterness
Morai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:07 AM   #1217
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindale View Post
...why did it take too long for Purple Pete to realize Phantom is lying...?
He never went to school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen
...why did it take so long for that pun to be used, I'm wondering...
Ask Lommy. I think she beats up all the people who make that joke. That's where the phantom has been these last few days; in Lommy's basement being battered with a cricket bat.

Quote:
Death by Pick Axe? Does that mean I've died twice? Have I been "re-killed" as it were?
Happens a lot in The Downer, I'm afraid.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:01 PM   #1218
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up Phalians

Okay, before I go to Oxonmoot, here is Thursday's Phantom and Alien...

Old 09-24-2008, 07:43 PM   #1219
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Who's the guy with the purple hair? An why does lal and Alien want to see him?
Old 09-25-2008, 12:42 AM   #1220
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
Who's the guy with the purple hair? An why does lal and Alien want to see him?
He's supposed to be a sort of secretary for the Oat Factory. Lal and Alien are there to see his boss. Sorry if that's not too clear.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:21 AM   #1221
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
He's supposed to be a sort of secretary for the Oat Factory. Lal and Alien are there to see his boss. Sorry if that's not too clear.
That's what I figured, I just needed a bit more clarification! Thanks!
Old 09-26-2008, 09:49 AM   #1222
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I guess Alien made it alright down the "happy" bunny road! Very funny Hookbill, Alien is right I couldn't understand what that purple haired guy was saying with all of his high society mumbo jumbo.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:50 PM   #1223
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Because I'm really tired and probably about to colapse onto my computer, I'm going to give you all a special treat.
Instead of your regular Newspaper tomorrow, I'll post up the Oxonmoot special for you all. It will probably be later than usual because I need some sleep after the ordeal of Oxford, trains and mugging. (read my blog if you really want to know this rubbish story).

The Phantom and Alien should be there as well.

Here is Esty holding a copy of it;

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 09-28-2008 at 03:11 PM.
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:27 PM   #1224
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
LETTER TO THE EDITOR

Dear Sirs:

I must protest in the most strenuous terms the recent issue of your paper found here: http://forum.barrowdowns.com//showpo...postcount=1223

The lack of editorial content in this recent edition is only matched by the miniature size of the offering. How does one read such a miniscule paper -- with a neutron microscope? Having an exotic model seductively clinging to the issue may be a clever (albeit distracting) marketing stroke, but it does not make up for this utterly illegible ort of news -- not one jot! Not one tittle!

How can one scruple to trivialize important news by serving shredded smidgens of fragmentary commentary dabbed on a molecular level? It is peevishly small-minded and short-shrifts the reading public! It might play well to mites, bed bugs and the louse population, but I canot believe these make up a great percentage of your subscriber base (and one needn't be a bookworm to come to that realization). And the one picture barely recognizable on the front page? Well, it could be General George Armstrong Custer, Colonel Sanders or Charlie Daniels for all I know!

I expect a larger issue next time around, preferably one I can read without the aid of NASA and the Hubble telescope.

Thank you in advance for solving a large concern,

Monsignor Ophthalmos Squint
Pastor, Our Lady of the Cerulean Orb
Poquito Vista, CA

Last edited by Morthoron; 09-28-2008 at 04:33 PM.
Morthoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:23 AM   #1225
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Okay, peoples of good. Here is the newspaper of bad...

Oxonmooters got a sneak preview of this nonsense...

The inside Pages;

PART 2

PART 3

THE BACK PAGE!

The adventure for The Phantom continues... YES!

Comic Archive

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 09-29-2008 at 03:28 AM.
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:47 AM   #1226
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thumbs up

Oooh, The Downer has a sports section! Does it have Warg Racing tips and a Monday round-up of the weekend's Crazy Captions action?
Old 09-29-2008, 07:35 AM   #1227
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Custard!
Old 09-29-2008, 07:55 AM   #1228
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

I've just realised you can't see that Phantom and Alien comic on Part 3...
Basically;

First panel -
Alien: So I've taken up smoking.

Second Panel -
Phantom: C'mon, lung cancer! I'm counting on you!

Third Panel -
Phantom: Hang on, you're smoking my money aren't you?
Alien: Right on!
Old 09-29-2008, 08:01 AM   #1229
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Very enjoyable Mr. Hookbill! I noticed that your paper was sponsered by Rune's quality prunes, is this the same Rune who's selling his quality beef and chacing his balloons with a spoon?
Old 09-29-2008, 01:53 PM   #1230
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Custard!
You can't beat custard!

There is plenty of mention of sinister experiments involving custard and Legolas in one of my favourite ever Downs threads as follows:

Snow Angels
Old 09-29-2008, 02:11 PM   #1231
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Oh the colours you'll wear on Oxonmoot Street!

Quote:
Because I'm really tired and probably about to colapse onto my computer, I'm going to give you all a special treat.
Instead of your regular Newspaper tomorrow, I'll post up the Oxonmoot special for you all. It will probably be later than usual because I need some sleep after the ordeal of Oxford, trains and mugging. (read my blog if you really want to know this rubbish story).

The Phantom and Alien should be there as well.

Here is Esty holding a copy of it;

Oh what do my wondering eyes see? Esty has changed her colours.

Esty's wearing green!!!!! A green barrow downs tee shirt!!!

And I thinks it looks positibly spendid on her.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:29 PM   #1232
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
You can't beat custard!

Is it Bird's?
Old 10-02-2008, 02:21 AM   #1233
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

It's Thursday. So, that means another episode of that stupid cartoon...

Comic Archive

Keep the mystery box in mind. It may be important.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:25 PM   #1234
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Good one, Hookbill, laughed at almost every slide!
Old 10-02-2008, 10:59 PM   #1235
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
That was pretty magnificent Hookbill, you've out done yourself. What did Rune think of his new product?
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:44 AM   #1236
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Hey, that's great! I love Alien in that one Is he going to keep the outfit for a while? I'd certainly like that!
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:52 AM   #1237
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Hey, that's great! I love Alien in that one Is he going to keep the outfit for a while? I'd certainly like that!
He does keep for a good 70% of his story. He wears a few other outfits as well.

This reminds me! I had an idea for a little contest-type-thing. A 'Make your own Phantom and Alien comic' contest!
Basically; draw your own P&A strip. DO NOT USE MY ARTWORK. It's rubbish. I'll take a maximum of, say, 10 strips? The Winner will get a sneak peak at the rest of Volume 2 and even a glimpse of volume 3.

So, yeah. Basically, if you have any P&A comics, please PM me and I'll tell you where to send them (unless you already know my e-mail address, of course). The Deadline will be... Hmm.... 31st of October?

The runners up will get a cake.* I'll probably post them up on the P&A website as well.

*Disclaimer: cake may not actually exist.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:28 AM   #1238
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

I'd like to make my own P and A... In fact, I have already doodled some on my notes in school, when I'm supposed to be listening... Actually I thought of a very good one (At least to me) at Church Camp.

Anyway, loved the Oxonmoot paper! Even though I couldn't make it to Oxonmoot to get it myself.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:45 AM   #1239
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
The Truth

I don't like the manipulation that goes on this thread and in the Downer!

By uploading that photo of Esty holding the Downer, Hookbill makes it seem like she endorses it and it is clearly used as adverticement.

This is not how it should be viewed! People felt physically ill when they got near the copy of the infamous newspaper, this is clearly shown in a photo of my self that Hookbill has chosen not upload! I will also like to point out that Esty is clearly trying to distance the Downer from her self and is clearly not comfortable holding it, she did infact get rid of the paper right after this photo was taken.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 01:56 PM   #1240
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Pipe The Oxonmoot Downer is evil

The Downer gave me scrofula. It also erased the part of my memory that contained my address and made my shoes fill with bizarre conserves. I'm posting this from an abandoned bath full of avocado marmalade somewhere outside Billericay; and if that sounds bad, you should see what happened to Guinevere.