The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2008, 04:13 PM   #1361
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Ha, I actually liked this one a lot. It is once again the classic kind of The Downer, which is quite refreshing. *whispers to everybody except for the phantom*: "It was about time."

By the way: more than any spelling mistakes (to which I am lately used from everywhere ), I am most intrigued by Phantom's expression in the second picture. Impressive. Most impressive.

And hoping you are going to feel better soon, Hookiee.

(Whoever guesses from this post what kind of SF I have been messing with lately, wins a tart made of apples and liquid hydrogen. Results may vary.)
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 05:13 PM   #1362
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
LETTER TO THE EDITOR

To whom it may concern:

I am just dropping a line to commend a superlative article in the most recent 'Downer, entitled ''Panic as Burning Bloke Enters Playground" by E. D. Derek. It was the type of iconoclastic piece that shatters the apathetically lethargic mood that currently holds our society in thrall by subtley skewering newspapers' outmoded habits of attempting to report news in a factual manner, using grammar and punctuation, or trying to make sense. The article had none of this folderol -- how refreshing! Or to put things in context, as Mr. Derek said, "Lah lah foo foo, mongoose on toast." Brilliant!

It was rather like James Joyce and ee cummings had bumped uglies on the editor's desk, right atop the galleys for the latest edition of the paper (I guess one would call it a news leak). It was bold! It was masterful! I couldn't understand a word of it! I was so excited, I went right out and set fire to my garage as a beacon for the whole world to see. Unfortunately, the fire spread to several of my neighbor's houses, and I have been arrested for arson. But that doesn't matter, because a literary luminary has this day been born! I had tried to share my joy with other cellmates, but they seem put off by my ardor, and they have asked the guards that I be removed and put into solitary confinement.

In closing, I can only say that the cell in solitary has 14,364 colored dots on the floor and each speaks in one or another dialect current in 18th century B.C. (I enjoyed the 'Hammurabi and the whore of Bablyon' jokes at first, but the Amorites are rather crude, and it is not at all mannerly that they keep mentioning the need for blood sacrifice to the goddess Ishtar).

Sincerely,
Ibin Suffrin DuLac-O'Sense
Chairman, Lard and Sugar Refineries Board
Chicago, Ill
Old 11-10-2008, 08:54 PM   #1363
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
The second story is my favourite! I do like the hiding place for the Hoody-Cloaky group!

By the way, I hope you get better soon, Hookbilly!
Old 11-12-2008, 05:45 AM   #1364
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I actually became a judge because I missed my long hair. . .and because I love silly dances.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:32 PM   #1365
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

AAAAGGGHHH!!! Sorry, many things happened today and I almost forgot about P&A. This week, Alien puts his liking of explosives and eating things together. GREAT!

COMIC ARCHIVE
Old 11-14-2008, 06:44 AM   #1366
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Oh, but the last picture of this comic I really like. Alien looks cute again
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 11-14-2008, 09:43 AM   #1367
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Oh, but the last picture of this comic I really like. Alien looks cute again
Yes, and the expression of sheer exasperation on me face is one I am familiar with

I had a thought. If you could find an old green sock and some of those packets of 'eyes' that you buy in craft shops, you could make an Alien puppet to frighten errr....kids and old ladies with.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:41 AM   #1368
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Why is there a sudden outbrake of crying in with the characters. If it wasn't for Davem's hilarious comforting of Lalwende this would have made me sad again.

Anyway, I like how the plot is unfolding.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:03 AM   #1369
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
Yes, and the expression of sheer exasperation on me face is one I am familiar with

I had a thought. If you could find an old green sock and some of those packets of 'eyes' that you buy in craft shops, you could make an Alien puppet to frighten errr....kids and old ladies with.
You have no idea how close I came to doing this once upon a time. I didn't because I couldn't find a sock of the right shade of green. (I do have a pretty good Phantom Puppet, though... I am sad, I know...)
Old 11-14-2008, 11:18 AM   #1370
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
You have no idea how close I came to doing this once upon a time. I didn't because I couldn't find a sock of the right shade of green. (I do have a pretty good Phantom Puppet, though... I am sad, I know...)
Actually, do Burscough FC have green socks? Their strip is that colour. You could sneak in and nick one
Old 11-15-2008, 01:37 AM   #1371
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

I think I have socks that are the same colour as Alien... maybe I could make an Alien puppet! I love the idea!!!!
Old 11-15-2008, 09:01 AM   #1372
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
Actually I do have green socks of that shade, but I don't know where to buy those googly eyes. But I used to make sock puppets for high school plays.

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:41 AM   #1373
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Okay, new idea for The Phantom and Alien Christmas special... Make your own Phantom or Alien (or both) puppets! Not sure how I'd organise it though... I don't it's fair to have just me decide a winner, so I'd like a few judges.

Maybe people with access to video cameras could make little 10-30 second clips of their puppets telling a joke or something?

Ideas?
Old 11-15-2008, 12:22 PM   #1374
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots Random Titles offer ideas...

Quote:
Maybe people with access to video cameras could make little 10-30 second clips of their puppets telling a joke or something?

Ideas?
How about a funny puppet skit that's about the length of your average P & A comic strip?
Old 11-15-2008, 02:54 PM   #1375
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Sock it to me

It's how to get the teeth that puzzles me. Maybe walk around in the sock on a floor covered in big toast crumbs for a bit in the hope they stick?
Old 11-15-2008, 08:37 PM   #1376
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

I just have one question. How does one make a stick of dynamite with oats? I don't think that I want to eat oatmeal anymore...
Old 11-15-2008, 08:38 PM   #1377
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lal
It's how to get the teeth that puzzles me. Maybe walk around in the sock on a floor covered in big toast crumbs for a bit in the hope they stick?
Hmm, popcorn?

Gasp, I just realized I also have green socks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgew
I just have one question. How does one make a stick of dynamite with oats? I don't think that I want to eat oatmeal anymore...
Well, flour will explode if it's lit on fire in an enclosed space, perhaps oats do as well.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 08:42 PM   #1378
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen View Post
Hmm, popcorn?

Gasp, I just realized I also have green socks!
ALIEN SOCKS!!!!!!!!

That's a bit weird, walking around with Alien on your feet? I think that I should turn my green socks into an Alien puppet! I could give it to my little brother for Christmas! He would like it, of course he'd like a John Fillis sock better! He's a big fan!
Old 11-15-2008, 10:39 PM   #1379
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dűm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
While we are on the topic of socks, I'd like to say that I have this pair of socks that are bright, Alien-green and have these two big, round "Alien eyes" along the sides. And at the top, where the hole is, it has a row of teeth. They're an amazing pair of socks, but technically it's supposed to be alligators. I will now refer to them as my"Alien socks".

Last edited by Laurinquë; 11-15-2008 at 10:44 PM.
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:08 AM   #1380
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
If you want a serious answer– cut the teeth out of felt and sew/glue them on.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:38 PM   #1381
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up Week 123 (4567789?)

As Big Ben rings out to annoy the people in close vicinity, I see that it's technically Monday here in Blighty. So, without further delay, here is the real news that is real.

This week, The Phantom goes solo. Oh how his ego will grow. Just like the plot in a pot of quick grow cement... Wait... Does cement grow? I don't care, I'm going with that.

Comic Archive

If you have any suggestions for a P&A or general Downer christmas antics, please let us know. We want this to be an extravaganza of special magnificence!

Why am I saying 'we' as if there's a team of people working on this paper? Why do I keep asking myself these questions that make me look stupid? And Why do I publish them on the Internet for all to see? I think it must be the poisoned horse I met today.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:19 PM   #1382
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
LETTER TO THE EDITOR (Sung to the tune of 'Thick as a Brick')

Dear Downer Staff:

I hope you don't mind this editorial roast,
But your eyelids might blister while you're reading this post.
I oft' times do wonder if your writers can think --
Your grammar's atrocious and your spelling, it stinks.
But no news is good news on the Downs,
With the Barrow Wight making his rounds,
And Phantom and Alien are profound --
If you're dead in the head.

And this journalistic nightmare just won't go away,
Like a tidal wave of gravy that Oddwen has sprayed.
The sadists are typing with tongues in their cheeks
For the next edition due at the start of the week.
But the Downer is getting surreal,
Like Salvador Dali in high heels,
Whose fishnet stockings only appeal --
When you're dead in the head.

And the nausea I feel
Is welling today.
The Downer's a bad dream
I have every Sunday!
And I look with dread
(But I look just the same).

Bring me down some more beer, get me dazed till I puke.
I need to get wasted, to tell you the truth;
In order to read anymore of this tripe.

Sincerely,
Jethro Tull
Agronomist, Inventor of the Seed Drill
Shalbourne, Berkshire, England
Old 11-16-2008, 10:33 PM   #1383
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.

Wow, that gravy...looks gross. Green, even.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:54 PM   #1384
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
The white room is probably the phantom's equilvalent of white noise, I'm guessing?

~ white walls and rooms are sad, poor things Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:03 AM   #1385
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Lal and Alien continue their adventure. But, as usual, Alien's grasp on the situation is some what tenuous. As is, it seems, my ability to draw explosions...

COMIC ARCHIVE
Old 11-21-2008, 08:17 AM   #1386
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

OK, who has been feeding the birds oats soaked in petrol? Tut tut.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:24 AM   #1387
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
OK, who has been feeding the birds oats soaked in petrol? Tut tut.
I see our Inspector Lalwendë is getting into the job
Old 11-21-2008, 12:35 PM   #1388
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
I see our Inspector Lalwendë is getting into the job
Meh-hehe! I'm starting to lose touch with the boundaries of real me and fictional me. Help!

Now I must file those police reports...
Old 11-21-2008, 06:52 PM   #1389
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots Random Titles lose their minds.

Quote:
Meh-hehe! I'm starting to lose touch with the boundaries of real me and fictional me. Help!

Now I must file those police reports...
I think it's too late really. No worries though, I think very few of us are sane, and most of the sane one are new to the Downs.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:33 PM   #1390
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

It's monday here in the land of Angles, so here's your news... It's a bit pants.

And now for the reunion no one has been waiting for...

Comic Archive

Sorry, phantom, that's two bad thing happen to you in one post. It's not my fault! The Dragons forced me to do it! It was that and the money!
Old 11-23-2008, 07:31 PM   #1391
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
While I was aware that SPM favoured Scottish bands, I was not aware that his interest extended also to the Bay City Rollers and an curious desire to imitate their sartorial style.

I heard it first not on the grapevine but on The Downer!
Old 11-24-2008, 02:19 AM   #1392
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pfft..

I have never said "Pfft" in my life. I will never say "Pfft" ever. I dislike the word "Pfft" intently. Sorry I have go to my latrine...Pfft.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:19 AM   #1393
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Haha, I just like the end of this P&A. Can't wait what happens next...
Old 11-24-2008, 04:41 AM   #1394
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Hmmmm, I have a tablecloth just like those kecks! Something suspicious about that....
Old 11-24-2008, 12:02 PM   #1395
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Haha, I just like the end of this P&A. Can't wait what happens next...
Thursday's strip has one of my favorite panels from the whole serise. It also introduces a new, yet familiar, character!
Old 11-24-2008, 12:11 PM   #1396
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Kudos to Purple Pete for giving the lions new lives outside the cage.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:47 PM   #1397
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

The Adventures of our dynamic duo are put on hold while The Phantom and Alien take over. This week, a familiar face.

Can I just say I really loved drawing that first panel? It's made me laugh ever since it was suggested to me.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:33 PM   #1398
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

The first panel is my favourite! And the last is my second favourite! Loved it, Hookbill
Old 11-29-2008, 03:34 PM   #1399
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Thumbs up

So, the Barrow-Downs is revealed as having an Establishment of its very own! It has a Lincoln's Inn Fields and a Whitehall - superb! This must mean there are also Wightish civil servants, and an M'eye'5! *groan* But this begs the question - if the B-W is the Prime Minister, then who is the Queen who he and the Establishment serves?

Yes, that panel is especially brill. As one indentured to civil servitude it's made me laugh!
Old 11-29-2008, 03:41 PM   #1400
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
So, the Barrow-Downs is revealed as having an Establishment of its very own! It has a Lincoln's Inn Fields and a Whitehall - superb! This must mean there are also Wightish civil servants, and an M'eye'5! *groan* But this begs the question - if the B-W is the Prime Minister, then who is the Queen who he and the Establishment serves?
The matter of the Wightish Monarchy will be dealt with... probably in volume 4 or 5. Which, by the by, I spent the other day planning out when I should have been doing coursework.
I think Downs' Civil servants will be looked into in a future volume. I had a little idea I don't mind sharing with you. Basically, different aspects of Downs society would be looked into in each volume;

Vol 2: Police
Vol 3: Funeral directors
Vol 4: Medicine
Vol 5: Civil servants.

In most of these instances, it is Alien who annoys the heck out of the respective people.

Oh, and the Downs' Spy type thing is called 'BI-5'. Barrow Inteligence section 5. They have a sort of rivalry with the CIA, 'Cann-Dum Inteligence Agency'. Yeah, that was a running 'joke' in the newspaper. I toyed with the idea of The Phantom joining BI-5 in volume 3, but it didn't pan out.

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 11-29-2008 at 03:45 PM.
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote