The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2007, 12:15 PM   #1
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien What would Tolkien like most?

Some could argue that he would dislike the whole thing - or refuse to even see it - which seems likely. However, say J.R.R. Tolkien did see the movies, and a few things made him smile. Maybe he would smile about the whole new wave of Tolkien fans the movies created, fans that didn't just watch the movies but read the books and really became involved in Tolkien's, not Jackson's, world.

What about Jackson's trilogy do you think Tolkien would be most pleased with?

I'm going to have to say it would be the musical score by Howard Shore. The music, in my opinion, captures the spirit of Tolkien's books. All of the scores fit so perfectly in all of the scenes they are played to. What's also good is that Jackson really didn't use much of the poetry or songs in the movies (and although Tolkien might have frowned upon that) it allows us to make melodies to them ourselves as we read them in the books. The one's that Jackson did use, such as "The Road Goes Ever On and On..." is a great adaptation. I hum the melody to myself when reading it in Tolkien. It just works. For me, anyhow.

I also think that Tolkien would have enjoyed the scenery, the falling of the leaves (in such scenes as Rivendell, Lorien, etc), and the magic about the movies.

What do you think he would have enjoyed?
Old 04-12-2007, 01:11 PM   #2
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
I always find it uncomfortable when people try and guess what dead people would do or think. But to be a hypocrite, I have to agree with you and say he would have loved the music.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:28 PM   #3
radagastly
Shade of Carn Dûm

radagastly is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I agree its very likely he would have loved the music.
I also think he would have loved the scenery, with the possible exception of Rohan. Tolkien's description was very much like the great plains of North America. New Zealand has nothing quite like that landscape. Jackson had to make do with an open plain that was rough and rocky and less rolling than what Tolkien described. It didn't look bad, not at all, but it was the only landscape that didn't seem to fit what Tolkien described. Also, the major sets/CGI mattes were dead-on, especially Moria and Minas Tirith.
There were some performances he would have appreciated as well. Ian McKellan did incredibly well portraying Gandalf (up until he bashed Denethor in the head!) Also, Bilbo, Gollum, Wormtongue, Eowyn and Eomer were all exactly what I would have expected. I wonder what he would have thought of the more 'human' and 'multi-dimensional' Boromir. I think he would have appreciated the need to flesh-out the character when putting him on film. I certainly did.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:16 AM   #4
Elfchick7
Wight

Elfchick7 has just left Hobbiton.
Leaf

I think he would've loved the shire.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:13 PM   #5
Neithan Tol Turambar

sorry Elfchick

I wanted to say something nice and insightful for your thread here, but I just.. I just bloody well can't.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:39 PM   #6
Elfchick7
Wight

Elfchick7 has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neithan Tol Turambar
I wanted to say something nice and insightful for your thread here, but I just.. I just bloody well can't.
What do you mean? Oh and this isn't MY thread.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:24 PM   #7
Neithan Tol Turambar

Go read what I think of the movies in the thread What movie is best, or somesuch, and then my meaning will be made clear to you. Don't despair! You seem nice and I like your posts.
Old 04-14-2007, 04:15 AM   #8
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
I think he would be pleased with Sam's character, and how well he was played. Tolkien would have loved the battle scenes, there were no films back then with that kind of action. (excluding Ben-Hur...)

Remember, it is not that Tolkien did not want the movies to be made, but that he did not think it could be done.
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
ninja91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 08:11 AM   #9
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
I have to believe the sweeping landscapes would have just amazed him. I remember the first trailer where we saw the Fellowship slowly come to the top of that hill - I think he would have liked that. The music of course. Some of the sets like Barad-dur and Helms Deep should have pleased him also. I imagine the sore points would be character deviations and script changes.

Ernest Hemingway had the right idea. He said that a writer and producer should meet at midnight on a deserted beach. The writer tosses the book to the producer while a briefcase of cash is tossed his way in return. The two never speak to each other again.
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:46 PM   #10
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by radagastly
I wonder what he would have thought of the more 'human' and 'multi-dimensional' Boromir. I think he would have appreciated the need to flesh-out the character when putting him on film. I certainly did.
None can say for certain. Multi-dimensional maybe, but I wouldn't use "more human." I think what Jackson did was expanded a bit more on what Tolkien already gives, such as Boromir's emotion. Boromir may come off to some as very callous in the books, but he does indeed weep after he tried to take the Ring from Frodo. I think what PJ did was looked at this scene and made that emotion come through in Boromir a little more than we see in the books (for example, the tear in Lothlorien, and the conversation that follows between Boromir and Aragorn.)
Old 08-05-2007, 04:20 PM   #11
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Tolkien

I think that Tolkien would like the Shire and the music and the scenery yes having an exception of Rohan...sorry Rohan.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:16 AM   #12
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
I think Tolkien would have liked the people who played the characters, they were chosen very carefully and are very good at what they do. And yes, he would have liked the music. And not Rohan. I also think he may have liked the scene where Fairmir asks Frodo who Sam is saying "who is he, your bodyguard?" and Sam goes "No, his gardener." Of course that is not in the book but still I think he would find it cute.
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 01:13 PM   #13
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sam

No question about it. Peter Jackson really captured Sam's character beautifully in Sean Astin (or is it Austin).
Old 01-27-2008, 06:43 PM   #14
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurinquë View Post
I think Tolkien would have liked the people who played the characters, they were chosen very carefully and are very good at what they do. And yes, he would have liked the music. And not Rohan. I also think he may have liked the scene where Fairmir asks Frodo who Sam is saying "who is he, your bodyguard?" and Sam goes "No, his gardener." Of course that is not in the book but still I think he would find it cute.
Maybe, it depends, of course it is a blunt fact!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
No question about it. Peter Jackson really captured Sam's character beautifully in Sean Astin (or is it Austin).
It's Astin, I know it is!
Old 03-31-2008, 07:52 AM   #15
chizzie_shark
Newly Deceased

chizzie_shark has just left Hobbiton.
Sorry for bumping an OT, but I just had to comment I think Tolkien would have loved the art direction - the sets, details, weaponry, design. The love and care people put into creating his cultures through props and sets, out of respect for his work. That would bring a warm fuzzy feeling to anyone's heart.
chizzie_shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:53 PM   #16
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I think he may have appreciated the art as well.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:04 PM   #17
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja91 View Post
Ben-Hur
Well, That and Titanic are the only other movies to get 11 oscars
Old 04-02-2008, 06:27 PM   #18
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
And keep in mind that it took those other films more than 11 nominations to win their 11. ROTK had 11 nominations and a perfect sweep winning all 11- as Mr. Spielberg said when he handed over the Best Film Oscar to Jackson. Thats batting 1.000%.
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:03 AM   #19
yavanna_kementari
Newly Deceased

yavanna_kementari has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree gondor

he would have loved the whole movie... tolkien lovers believe the movies did not bastardize the books and that is saying a lot...

tolkien himself would have liked the way gondor was made... such a beautiful city set to life by jackson and his team...
yavanna_kementari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:54 AM   #20
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Sixth Wizard has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to The Sixth Wizard
I'd say the Shire would be the one of the only ones Tolkien could really relate to, because he was from a period of time that didn't include digital effects or all the other things we have in movies these days.

I must say he would have loved King Theoden's speech in RotK, and the whole grandness of the Rohirrim.

I think he wouldn't have minded the idea of Elves at Helm's Deep much, at least until they started fighting so freakishly...
The Sixth Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:12 AM   #21
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Here is Tolkien's caveat regarding M.G. Zimmerman's proposed 1958 screenplay:

Quote:
I would ask them to make an effort of imagination sufficient to understand the irritation (and on occasion the resentment) of an author, who finds, increasingly as he proceeds, his work treated as it would seem carelessly in general, in places recklessly, and with no evident signs of any appreciation of what it is all about.
And then criticizing each scene in earnest:

Quote:
...yet one more scene of screams and rather meaningless slashings.
I believe Tolkien would be too appalled at the many blatant variances from his original story to watch more than a portion of FotR before finding suitable Orkish curses to exorciate the production while leaving the screening, never to watch the remaining 2 films (which would be just as well, as The Two Towers would have thrown him into a fit of apoplexy).