The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books > Chapter-by-Chapter
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-19-2004, 03:36 PM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril LotR -- Book 2 - Chapter 02 - The Council of Elrond

There is a wealth of information in this chapter, and it is absolutely pivotal to the further development of the story. It prepares the way for the forming of the Fellowship, though that does not take place within this chapter. It is also by far the longest chapter in the book, at least in FotR. I found it fascinating to read, but have heard from other (perhaps younger?) readers that they didn’t enjoy it. Since there’s too much in it to even start summarizing the contents, let’s just jump right into the discussion this time.

Which parts do you like most? Which do you think are most interesting and/or important? Do you remember your experience when reading it for the first time?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 04:14 PM   #2
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Strangely enough, this is one of my favourite chapters. I say 'strangely enough', for, all in all, being a child of my own age (), I like to have some action in the books I read and movies I watch. This chapter would be boring, for indeed, nothing, actually happens - just a lot of folks talk their way through, and doing that in circles. They are not good at it as well - it is obvious from the beginning of the Council that the main reason of the gathering is to decide what is to be done about the ring. Instead of making that decision, awfull lot of unknown characters with new names, appearing for the first time, make a fuss about the matters not directly related. (like Flounders of Little Mermaid: and than seagull came, and said this is this, and that is that...)

Instead of getting the reader sleepy, though, the chapter keeps one very alert. For one, the information provided is of vital interest. For two - the skill of the storyteller Tolkien possesed, and change of style and language with every new speaker makes the chapter not only bearable, but one of the most interesting in the book, as mentioned.

cheers

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 07:15 PM   #3
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420! Council

Heren:
Quote:
Strangely enough, this is one of my favourite chapters. I say 'strangely enough', for, all in all, being a child of my own age (), I like to have some action in the books I read and movies I watch. This chapter would be boring, for indeed, nothing, actually happens
I wouldn't call this my favorite chapter, but I do think it's not a "boring" chapter. This is a test for first time readers, this chapter, because as you say no "action" happens, either they want to read about All great Legolas, or some sort of sword action/fighting. So this chapter can be difficult to get through.

Estelyn I agree that this is a very important, pivotal chapter, where a lot of info comes out and a fellowship is formed.

I wanted to talk about the Fellowship members itself, and why Elrond chose these certain people (yes, some volunteered, but Elrond had the lets say the right to "veto.") Ok we'll start with Gandalf, chosen to be the guide of Frodo, and he was a wise choice, and wouldn't be too powerful, since Istari's powers were limitted on Middle-Earth. Then Aragorn, soon to be King of Gondor, arguably the best sword fighter of this time. Boromir, best captain Gondor has at this time, and again arguably best fighter Gondor has. Gimli, good representative for the dwarves, even Aragorn is impressed with his axe skill. Of course the Hobbits, all keeping their oaths and travelling wherever Frodo goes. Then you have Legolas, maybe one of the better Mirkwood elves, but still he isnt one of the better representatives of this race. I mean you still have Glorfindel, Elrond's sons, Erestor, who all could have went in Legolas' place. So why Legolas? I think it is because sending someone like a powerful Glorfindel would be spotted easier then a comprable elf bowman.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 08:12 PM   #4
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Ah, the Council of Elrond. An intriguing chapter.

In answer to one of the questions Esty posed, my first time reading this one was a tad difficult. It is now one of the chapters I enjoy the most, but the first time around was a challenge. There's not much action, nor is there very much plot development. It's really just to fill in any would-be storyholes (such as "What the heck happened to Gandalf, anyway?") and, oh yes, the creation of the Fellowship.

Quote:
So why Legolas? I think it is because sending someone like a powerful Glorfindel would be spotted easier then a comprable elf bowman. -- Boromir88
You're probably right. As formidable as Glorfindel is (as we saw in "Flight to the Ford"), everyone knew that the quest did not have the best odds of succeeding. It sounds terrible, but maybe Elrond thought that it would be better to send along someone more "expendable." It seems logical that he would want to keep Glorfindel in Rivendell if possible, to help fortify and strengthen it in case the worst should happen.

Quote:
(like Flounders of Little Mermaid: and than seagull came, and said this is this, and that is that...) -- HI
Indeed.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 09:38 PM   #5
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Pennsylvania, WtR, passed Sarn Gebir: Above the rapids (1239 miles) BtR, passed Black Rider Stopping Place (31 miles)
Tuor of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

I've always thought (taking into consideration that I was a history major in college) that two chapters were especially fascinating, crucial, and "grabbers"
(that is, getting one drawn into the long tale)
1) The Shadow of the Past and
2) The Council of Elrond. (Plus also the concept of elves. Upon first reading LOTR
it wasn't until a future chapter and an incident involving Glorfindel and Frodo that
I realized that Tolkien's elves weren't those irritating little leprechaun-like beings. (And I'm part Irish).

Certainly there is more then one "eye-opener" in the chapter.
To cite one bit of allusions to Middle-earth not being abandoned to evil
forces, but done in Tolkien's way of alluding tantalizingly of a universe
not manichaean but with forces aiming to help, while not dominating,
free wills:
Quote:
What shall we do with the Ring, the least of rings, the trifle that Sauron fancies? That is the doom that we must deem. That is the purpose for which you are called hither. Called, I say, though I have not called you to me, strangers from distant lands. You have come and are here met, in this very nick of time, by chance as it may seem. Yet it is not so. Believe rather that it is so ordered that we, who sit here, and none others, must now find counsel for the peril of the world.
This is, of course, an echo of the observation (by Gandalf?)
about Bilbo being meant to find the Ring, and not by intent of the Ring.

And recall that initial readers of LOTR did so without the Silmarillion, UT, or
HoME. The literary effect is of a world into which one is barely glimpsing, at a
moment of crucial importance. You're almost like the proverbial fly on the wall.
(Perhaps like a certain hobbit sitting in on a secret council to which he was not
invited).

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin; 09-19-2004 at 09:49 PM.
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 01:14 AM   #6
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Careful, Boromir - you're jumping ahead a bit! Let's save the discussion of the forming of the Fellowship for the next chapter. There are plenty of other matters to talk about first.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote