The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2022, 10:53 PM   #41
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Also, the trailer is out.

I watched it, but I don't think I can digest it fully, because I just spent the last few hours creating Spock Isildur Terminator for the Books forum and now it's quite late and I don't have sufficient brainpower left for analysis.

A quick summary of scenes:

1. White City
Likely Numenor. Architecture vaguely resembling visuals of minas Tirith from the movies. Lone mountain in the background. Some giant statue, not unlike the Argonath. A harbour. I think that's sufficient hints. Romenna perhaps?

2. Meeple (and thus they shall remain until proven otherwise)
Mountainous landscape, Scottish highlands type. No idea. Pretty.
Two Meeple. (What's the singular of "meeple"? "Moople"?)

3. Faun-girl
Dunno, she just has this look like she's either a faun or a fairy or some Midsummer Night's Dream character.
Perhaps she is a hobbit ancestor?

4. Waterfall
On background of icy mountains, and ?river below.
Are these meant to be Misty Mountains? White Mountains?

5. The Wall
...And the wildlings scaling it. No, this is not GOT, this is only... GOT with different names?
On second viewing, this actually appears to be the same place as #4, with the waterfall just to the right of the screen.
And the dagger is the Two Trees one, which makes the climber... Galadriel? And is that a variation of the Star of Feanor on her shoulders? I have so many conflicting feelings about this. It is going to be ridiculously action-video-game-like, but the little references in the aesthetic choices are tickling my nerdiness. But they would need to explain why Galadriel is wearing Feanor's insignia.

6. Life of Pi
That raft with a lone figure on it... at least I didn't see a second person there in that flash.

7. Slo-mo Silvan
Dude. Skateboard Legolas has got nothing on this.

8. The Comet
Fallen star? Meteor? Earendil's engines went down? Rogue dragon?
Followed rapidly by a man looking up, which makes it look like the continuation of the same scene.
The man on a stone platform near water. It's carved with leaves around the edge, and there are yellow petals (or gold flakes?) on the ground. The man is wearing gold cloth stuff over armour, looks formal.
Dunno. Lorien with its golden leaves? Legitimately no idea.
Oooh, but Huey, you have an element to work into your Ring theory! Clearly this is either a meteor from which they will get the iron for a ring, or a ring was made under the sign of this comet and the celestial body somehow symbolizes air (or fire for the burning?).

9. Cavalry Charge
Looks like it's Galadriel leading it. Are they sure that the character is named Galadriel, and not Eowyn? Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference these days.
Some tall mountains in the distance but green plains under the horses' feet, which doesn't shake the image of Eowyn stealing Eomer's eored to play soldier.

10. Torchbearer and Goblin
Torchbearer has a quiver of arrows. Goblin looks like an ankylosaurus. Sorry, that's all I got.

11. Golden Wood
White bark, golden leaves - now this is probably Lorien.
Small river running through and dropping down a cliffside as a waterfall towards a larger river or lake. Perhaps the eastern border, where it comes close to Anduin.

12. Dwarf.
That's it. We've already seen the picture.

13. Excalibur!
No, it's - Elrond? possibly? - kneeling with a sword that's just propped up against a stone in a certain manner.
This is indoors - a cave? People around him in the background. Sort of reminds me of Henneth Annun in the books ( I actually don't remember what the Faramir scenes were in the movie and I have a feeling I am the better off for it).
The Elf of the Cave in a cave is not such a novel concept. I could even propose that this might be the early days of the outpost of Rivendell. Or perhaps he is visiting Moria.

14. Dwarven Princess
What was her name? Disa?
She appears to be praying, or doing some sort of ritual.
Her hands are still gold-stained. Conspiracy theorists, make your bets on the explanation behind that!

15. Life of Pi Part 2
Okay, now there are two people on the boat.

16. Fire
No idea, too fast. People escaping some explosion?

17. Dwarves
The Fathers of the Dwarves do what Gimli could not, and smash a stone with an axe in one strike.

18. Slo-mo Silvan Part 2
Dude. Legolas got nothing on this guy.
Can't glean much from background either.

19. Helm's Deep!
Well, some fight in the rain at night.
Lots of people in golden helmets and golden armour - or is that just the lighting? Guy in the front, who is yelling, has the helmet off. I still can't recognize him.
Looks like they are a defensive island being pressed from 3 (or more) sides by the dark-armoured army.

20. Hands
A large hand, dirt-stained, offered to and accepted by a small dirt-stained child's hand. Very abstract.

The voiceover / text:
[Female voice:]
Haven't you ever wondered what else is out there?
There's wonders in this world beyond our wandering.
I can feel it.

[Text:]
Before the King
Before the Fellowship
Before the Ring
A new Legend begins this Fall

(could this be a Harfoot preparing to wander off into the big scary world?

...and it's coming Sept 2, and disappointingly not Sept 22.

...I happened to scroll to the comments. The first few pages are a single quote - largely in Russian (anything to do with my cookies and browsing history, maybe? Or perhaps timezones - it's less linguistically unanimous lower down), there's one that looked Polish, one that looked Spanish (don't kill me if I'm wrong on these). Finally there's an English version: "Evil is not able to create anything new, it can only distort and destroy what has been invented or made by the forces of good". What other languages can I spot? ...Portugese, perhaps? German? Another Slavic language, perhaps Czech? And yet another one, which I cannot place more specifically than "Other Western Slavic". And another Romance quote - not sure if a variation on the Spanish or I'm actually missing a whole other language there. On the whole, a bunch of Russian quotes and a fair number of Polish (I think) quotes, though both have slight variations in wording; A good number of English; a sprinkling of others - I'm sure that if I kept scrolling I would see more languages. Ah, just as I was leaving the page, a variation! "The Shadow that bred them can only mock, it cannot make: not real things of its own".

So I googled it, and news articles report it as a multi-national smear campaign against the series. Make what you will of that. I am too tired to react, other than... they're not wrong, but it is worth the effort - creating this much negative attention? As opposed to pointedly ignoring it's existence? It's not like they're gonna stop it from happening... It's gonna happen, the posts aren't gonna stop it... So what's the point? Unless it's just too much frustration, and there is equally no chance maintaining the fatalistic zen, in which case I sympathize.

Dammit, this was supposed to be quick, and now it's midnight. >.<
Old 02-15-2022, 03:33 AM   #42
Michael Murry
Haunting Spirit

Michael Murry is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
So, it begins

As King Theoden said after the first arrow flew, setting off the Battle of Helm's Deep:

"So, it begins."

Two additional takes on these "teaser" promotional visuals.

Amazon's Lord of the Rings Epic FAIL! The Vandalization of Tolkien and Fan ATTACKS have Begun
Nerdrotic (February 12, 2022)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qysw8A_ssRc

The Rings of Power: Tolkien in Name Only
Just Some Guy (February 15, 2022)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36lviVvo-jw
Old 02-15-2022, 03:48 AM   #43
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Names

As G55 says, we have the trailer now, and also two followup articles from Vanity Fair:

Teaser Trailer 1 (Superbowl Trailer)
Secrets of 'The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power Teaser' Trailer (Vanity Fair)
10 Burning Questions About Amazon’s 'The Rings of Power' (Vanity Fair)

I'll obviously do a trailer response later, but for now I want to poke one specific point:

Names

The show's name-game is... kind of rubbish, actually. Ignoring the canon characters and places, here's what we've got so far:
  • Arondir - Silvan elf. Plausible Sindarin (maybe something like Arod+Nir, "Noble Tears"?), but as a Silvan elf he should be using a slightly different form. Even Legolas does this, rather than being pure Sindarin Laegolas.
  • Halbrand - Unspecified mortal on a raft. Tolerable Sindarin (Hal+Brand, "Tall and Towering"), which would make him... what, non-Numenorean Edain? It just feels like they've taken Brand (son of Bain son of Bard) and slapped an Edainic (specifically Haladin) prefix onto him.
  • Tirharad - Village in "the Southlands". Obvious Sindarin Tir+Harad, "Guard (of the) South", but I don't think Tir- would actually compound like that. Also: why does a mortal village have a Sindarin name?
  • Bronwyn - Mortal woman in Tirharad. But her name is Welsh. And not old-fashioned Welsh, which would be a clever way of extending the Old English/Old Norse 'translations'. It's just a modern Welsh name. (And apparently not much used in Wales, because -wyn is usually masculine.)
  • Carine - Isildur's sister. If written and pronounced as Carinë [Ka-REE-nay], looks like plausible Quenya (no obvious meaning, but could just be Car+inë, "Maker"). If pronounced as an English speaker would (ca-REEN), it's neither Quenya nor Adunaic, but looks more French.
  • Disa - dwarf princess. Okay, I know there's not a lot to work with, but this is literally the only known female dwarf name with an English feminine ending stuck on. (You couldn't find anything in the Eddas?!)
  • Elanor "Nori" Brandyfoot - I like her. She's adorable. I look forward to seeing her explore Middle-earth. But ye Valar that's a bad name. She's named for an Elvish flower which I don't think blooms anywhere east of Lindon at this point - certainly nowhere her family would have seen. The flower is yellow, which doesn't have anything to do with her (unlike Elanor Gardner). The name is abbreviated - fine, Hobbits do that - but to a canon (male!) dwarf name. And the surname combines her species name with a river that none of her people have ever seen. It's just... really bad.

I just... languages, and the names that come from them, were kind of Tolkien's whole deal. I would have expected them to put a lot more effort into making things fit properly.

So there we go! Finally, something I unambiguously dislike.

hS
Old 02-15-2022, 04:50 AM   #44
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The Trailer

Okay, trailer review, using G55's numbering, and drawing on the Vanity Fair reaction article (which seems to have extra information):

1. A lovely opening shot of what VF confirms to be Numenor. The archway has some nice patterning on it, and the ship looks like an interesting design. The tower (ooh, it's a lighthouse!) has a movie-Imladris feel to it, and presumably the Argonathalike is Elros. Almost has to be Romenna. The Meneltarma is nice and imposing, though I always pictured it taller than it is wide.

2. Flyover of the Meeple. This looks very like the famous flyover of the Fellowship all strung out in a line from the movie - it might even be the same filming location! I'm not convinced the Meeple are even characters; they may just be scenery to show that M-e is full of primitive nomads right now. (VF says they're "not particularly central to the story".) I feel like the valley behind gets more of a dramatic reveal than it really warrants; there's nothing there! Did they forget some SFX?

3. Nori! The name's still dumb, but this is Nori Brandyfoot, the Harfoot. She's almost certainly the voiceover as well. VF says the Harfeet live "within the forest and fields", so my guess is eastern Mirkwood (exactly as various people are saying upthread!). I think she's adorable.

4. Waterfall, and an ice-choked river running from it, leading into:

5. Galadriel climbing the ice-cliff beside said waterfall. VF says this "is clearly the Forodwaith", but that means they don't know. It's obviously the source of the rumours about the Helcaraxe appearing in episode 1, but yeah, we don't know. It's ice. Could be anywhere from the Grinding Ice to Mindolluin. I'm not impressed with her climbing technique; I wonder whether she's meant to have fallen from the top? Would explain why she's using her dagger to climb. There are at least three other billowing cloaks below her, suggesting a party of climbers/fallers.

Her 8-rayed star emblem makes a reappearance. It looks like it has uneven rays, which makes it not the Star of Feanor (which in any case should have 16). It could be based on the House Finarfin emblem, which has 8 'rays' and a central circle; but I think it's just a generic star for the High Elves.

6. Halbrand on his raft. The raft seems to have bits of sail, and what looks like a grille, so I think it's actually a chunk of wrecked ship. The colour scheme seems to match the Numenorean ship, so maybe he's a Numenorean mariner (and buddy of Isildur)? But then his name is in the wrong language...

7. Arondir in the woods, showing off his arrow-fu. Little bit silly, but oddly enough a quick Google confirms that catching an arrow in flight is physically possible. There's three arrows coming at him, and they look like they might be black-fletched (his are red) - Orcs?

8. The fireball. Flies over a gnarled-looking wood that I would parse as Mirkwood-y. This would make sense; see later.

8a. Gil-Galad looking up. Are those gold leaves? Have they put mellyrn in Lindon? Tolkien explicitly stated that they didn't grow there, though at least Gil-Galad was canonically gifted them (which is where Galadriel got hers). If the fireball is east of the Mountains, he might not actually be looking at it; there's no yellow glow on his face.

9. Galadriel, leading an armoured cavalry charge... well, could be anywhere from Forodwaith to Ithilien.

10. Galadriel again (I recognise her chainmail), in a cave with snow on the ground, finding a goblitroll thing; I think it's ice-encrusted. Putting this together with the waterfall and the claims about her "fool's errand" - she's hunting through the North for traces of evil, and oh look, she found some. Possibly she winds up in the Sea while trying to get home (shades of Arvedui) - ie, her 'crazy solo quest' is actually just the first couple of episodes, before she can get word back to Lindon that she was right after all.

11. Elves, forest, and a cliff over the sea. I reckon this is Lindon, and that could be Gil-Galad in the middle. It would match the image of Lindon in the Galadriel-Elrond reunion shot from the first VF article. So... yeah, either it's autumn, or TV!Gil-Galad has figured out how to grow mellyrn.

12. Prince Durin IV. The 10 Questions article says he's the son of Durin III, which... I mean, it's not quite ruled out by the books and timelines, but would make the superstition that they were both reincarnations of Durin I a bit hard to cling to.

13. Elrond is not happy about that rock. He seems to be in Khazad-Dum, and I like the detail that he's got wing-patterning on his shoulders - his grandfather led the House of the Wing! I'm not sure what the rod is that he's holding - it's clearly of dwarf-make.

14. Disa, singing. The original VF article described this as a "scene-stealing" moment, and the later ones have talked about dwarves using chants to sound out the rock. I mean... sure?

15. Galadriel on Halbrand's raft. She's lost her armour, and might even be naked; she's also unbraided her hair for some reason. And onoes! She's an elf! It doesn't seem like she expects that to go down well.

16. The fireball has landed, and Nori is pulling The Stranger out of it. Wild Mass Guessing on the internet says this could be one of the Istari, or maybe Sauron somehow. The producers are being very cagey about it, and seem to expect it to be an eagerly-discussed mystery. Not gonna lie, this looks kind of daft.

17. Prince Durin smashes a rock, while at least three older dwarves look on. VF want this to be a rock-smashing contest with Elrond. I mean... it could be the same rock? Would imply that the rod Elrond had was actually the handle of an axe. But that seems very silly.

18. Arondir attacking a ship. Could it be... a Numenorean ship? Is he fighting off Numenorean slave-takers who are attacking mortal villages? Please?

19. Gold armour, shields with trees on ("the tree of the High Elves" from the doors of Moria), and a blond elf we've not seen elsewhere looking very distressed at being attacked by Orcs. That's... it isn't... please tell me this isn't supposed to be The Death of Finrod. I don't ask for much, but please don't let that be Finrod. (The fire in the background could imply this is the same sequence as the one we first saw armoured Galadriel's photo in?)

20. Nori and the Stranger, holding hands. I guess they're going to go about together being mysterious and secretive. Even if he's not Gandalf, he's certainly implied to fill a Gandalf-like space. (Maybe he's Bom Tombadil! )

Overall? I don't hate it. Some of it's silly, but a trailer will always bend towards the most visually distinctive moments. I doubt Arondir spends his entire time catching arrows, and Galadriel almost certainly stands on the ground at some point. I am not sold on the fireball, but... well, so far we don't know anything about it, and I think I can allow them at least one Deus Ex Machina. We'll see where it goes.

I do really like the designs, and the varied colour palette! It might actually make it possible to tell everything apart! And the Lindon "mallorns" look a lot closer to my image of mellyrn than what Movie Lorien gave us.

Coming September 2nd, Tolkien's death-day. Umm... maybe that's a little on-the-nose.

hS
Old 02-15-2022, 07:00 AM   #45
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

My only comment on the trailer is that, visually, it looks nothing like the world of the Sil I have in my mind.
Old 02-15-2022, 07:51 AM   #46
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim View Post
My only comment on the trailer is that, visually, it looks nothing like the world of the Sil I have in my mind.
I like Numenor. I think that has potential. I also like some things purely visually, but they seem to be geographically misplaced or otherwise questionable, depending on their true identity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
Gold armour, shields with trees on ("the tree of the High Elves" from the doors of Moria), and a blond elf we've not seen elsewhere looking very distressed at being attacked by Orcs. That's... it isn't...*please*tell me this isn't supposed to be The Death of Finrod.
No. Noooooooooooo! Please don't!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
So... yeah, either it's autumn, or TV!Gil-Galad has figured out how to grow*mellyrn.
Two roads diverged in two yellow woods,
And sorry I could not have it both
And be one geographic location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
So there we go! Finally, something I unambiguously dislike.*

For Bronwyn - I wonder if she is somehow supposed to evoke Rohan's (Old English) -wyn endings in Eowyn, Theodwyn... But then don't pick a Welsh name to do the job.
Old 02-15-2022, 07:53 AM   #47
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
I'm not sure if they're paid for their PJ fanaticism (which actually makes it worse, imo, I mean you would have to pay me to go to their level of gushing I saw when the movies were out). I was surprised they weren't quite as zealous about The Hobbit movies, at least once they were released. But wow during the LOTR movies, it was scary how much they worshiped him.
Well, websites make their money from advertising, and the overwhelming bulk of the ads they carried were for WETA workshop and connected businesses, all tied to PJ or New Line. Add to that the remarkable number of "insider scoops" they published.
Old 02-15-2022, 12:17 PM   #48
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
My first thoughts on the trailer were rather succint (mostly surprised by the closeness of the aesthetic to our late [figuratively] Mr. Jackson - Meeple valley a copypasted Rohan, the Rivendell-like setting with a "Council" of sorts, all Elves looking like Legolas only with short hair, male Dwarves looking JUST like PJ Dwarves, a cave-troll only being different in that it seems to have a beard or what? Which would be innovative, and nice for some Northern Troll, for warmth...), but I cannot resist to add a couple of ideas after reading these.

I completely agree on that Nori Brandyfoot must be the worst name of the year. With supposedly separating the Harfoots from the Hobbits by millennia, I was hoping for something along the lines of Déagol and Sméagol. Or even further back. Brandyfoot sounds like a proper Shire-dwelling holbytla. Shame on you, whoever came up with AND approved this name. Otherwise I'd say, as the classic would say, not great, not terrible.

Gil-Galad, to paraphrase Thorin Oakenshield, looks more like a trader than High King of Noldor. Or okay, he looks kingly all right - but he and Galadriel should have swapped places. He should be the one in the shiny silver armour ("his shining helm afar was seen"), and she should rather be the one looking like tsar's deputy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
16. The fireball has landed, and Nori is pulling The Stranger out of it. Wild Mass Guessing on the internet says this could be one of the Istari, or maybe Sauron somehow. The producers are being very cagey about it, and seem to expect it to be an eagerly-discussed mystery. Not gonna lie, this looks kind of daft.
I absolutely did not pay attention to this when I watched it. But now your description made me somehow think about some sort of Lucifer-trope, "falling from heaven like a lightning". That could be any Maia (hopefully not Istari yet!!!), Sauron (cool by me) or another "thing of terror... flying from Thangorodrim..." *cough ifsomethinghadwings cough*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
Coming September 2nd, Tolkien's death-day. Umm... maybe that's a little on-the-nose.
Are you familiar with the concept of the death of the author? Perhaps unintended, but most appropriate...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 12:31 PM   #49
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Sorry, somehow skipped three quotes...

Quote:
[*]Tirharad - Village in "the Southlands". Obvious Sindarin Tir+Harad, "Guard (of the) South", but I don't think Tir- would actually compound like that. Also: why does a mortal village have a Sindarin name?
What if it's a Númenorean-built village, a "colony outpost", i.e. guarding against those barbarians? Think Roman outposts in Britain just after their first landing or whatnot. Bronwyn or whoever "native" Middle-Earthians can be just part of the population, or - the uncivilised barbarians they were - settled it after the builders were chased out (by Sauron's cronies? Ok, I am already spinning tales here), because I mean, existing working infrastructure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
And onoes! She's an elf! It doesn't seem like she expects that to go down well.
This may be one of my least favourite things in the trailer.
1) I grudgingly allowed to half-close my eyes when PJ had the pointy-eared Elves (and Hobbits!!! Incidentally, did anyone ear-inspect the Harfeet?), but using it as THE defining characteristic is just WRONG. You should be able to recognise an Elf otherwise anyway. 2) Why does it imply that being an Elf is something wrong? Because that's what it indeed looks like. This is not Sapkowski.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I like Numenor. I think that has potential. I also like some things purely visually, but they seem to be geographically misplaced or otherwise questionable, depending on their true identity.
Well I first thought it was Lindon, because it looks just like the Grey Havens in LotR, only with more statues. Well, that's a pity. I hoped for a more different design for Númenor. Something more oriental-like, more over-the-top, massive. Think anything from Kremlin through Mezoamerican pyramids to Taj Mahal. Or at least in the Pharazonian era - maybe that will change later; I'd be very happy with that kind of development.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 02-15-2022, 06:25 PM   #50
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
"Dori Harfoot" - at a time when, if halflings existed at all - was millennia before the Hobbits adopted Westron around the settling of Bree, is just a cardinal illustration of the fact that the writers and showrunners don't know and, worse, don't care about the material they are pretending to "adapt."

What this is of course really is 3rd rate schlock fantasy with a ridiculous budget, with Tolkien branding casually slapped on at random like sponsors' logos on a racing car. This is no more "Middle-earth" than Caligula was "ancient Rome" Without even any good porn sequences.

Last edited by William Cloud Hicklin; 02-16-2022 at 03:41 PM.
William Cloud Hicklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 03:37 AM   #51
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
This may be one of my least favourite things in the trailer.
1) I grudgingly allowed to half-close my eyes when PJ had the pointy-eared Elves (and Hobbits!!! Incidentally, did anyone ear-inspect the Harfeet?), but using it as THE defining characteristic is just WRONG. You should be able to recognise an Elf otherwise anyway. 2) Why does it imply that being an Elf is something wrong? Because that's what it indeed looks like. This is not Sapkowski.
I don't think we can see Nori's ears, but aren't Hobbits the only ones we know had pointed ears? Tolkien Gateway says it's from Letter 27, and I think it's sometimes used to argue that elves did too (it's the "slightly pointed and 'elvish'" line).

If Halbrand is a Numenorean - which I theorise he is - then in these latter days he may never have seen an elf. We know that back in the First Age, the likes of Turin could be mistaken for elves; I don't think it's implausible that Numenoreans who lived (just about) in sight of Eressea would be of similar appearance.

As for #2: if Halbrand is Numenorean, then for a thousand years or more Numenorean society has been turning hard against the elves. I don't think Galadriel would be overly trusting of a people who are claiming most of Middle-earth as their own personal slave-taking playground, and literally had a king who called himself "Lord of the West".

(Also, she might just be offended he's playing with her hair! )

hS
Old 02-16-2022, 09:03 AM   #52
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog View Post
but since Peter Jackson set the standard of wholesale changes to a complete story, I'm willing to give the producers of this project a wide berth in their use of artistic license.
I don't agree with this philosophical perspective at all. In my view just because Jackson did an awful job does not entitle his successors to sequentially do as bad and just a little bit worse.

Quote:
Speaking of the trailer: I was surprised how close the aesthetics (or at least those we have seen) are to the PJ take on it. What looks like Lindon (?) is effectively copypaste of the last scene of LotR with more architecture (which would make sense). That peculiar elf in golden armour who looks like Jamie Lannister fighting Orcs (flashback of Galadriel's brother??? Hope not) looks horribly Haldirish.
I thought it was known that they were going to use the WETA aesthetic, which in itself is not very accurate to what Tolkien wrote, particularly when it came to armor.

I cannot fathom why anybody, even out of their right mind, would don antlers in such a manner as is depicted outside of a religious ceremony. You would get blown over by every gust of wind. Perhaps that is the point and these people periodically travel by wind power..?

Also, "Galadriel dangling from cliff by knife" may become my new way of saying "Thorin dancing on Smaug's nose."

As Hui mentions, the big fireball makes me think that it is meant to be Sauron fleeing east or otherwise going somewhere.
Old 02-16-2022, 06:35 PM   #53
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
I haven't had a chance to work my way all the way through the article, but some things that stood out to me from this interview with the show-runners.

There's not an over-reliance on CGI:

Quote:
Payne promises they will be using “every single trick in the book—old school, new school, everything—in a way that we are told no one has attempted.” Some of the stranger monsters may be digital confections, but when orc-like baddies attack The Rings of Power heroes, it’s guys in suits, not piles of pixels.
Ok, that's a good thing.

Confirmation on what material they had access to:

Quote:
So what did Amazon buy? “We have the rights solely to The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, The Return of the King, the appendices, and The Hobbit,” Payne says. “And that is it. We do not have the rights to The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, The History of Middle-earth, or any of those other books.”
Apparently they can't contradict any known event, even from works that they don't have the rights to, but the 2nd Age material in what they do have the copyright for is very limited.

Perhaps an inkling of what the prior VF article said about Elrond being a politician. My immediate thought was no, because I have in my head Tolkien calling Denethor a politician, and Tolkien commenting that:

Quote:
...and the most improper job of any man, even saints (who at any rate were at least unwilling to take it on), is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.~Letter 52
But it appears young Elrond's storyline is going to be focused on a friendship with Durin IV, which Payne says Elrond is trying to "repair their friendship." Still not quite what I think when I hear "Elrond," but maybe not as bad as when I first heard him described as a "politician."
Old 02-16-2022, 10:31 PM   #54
mhagain
Wight

mhagain has just left Hobbiton.
Apologies for dragging up Hobbits again, but Tolkien did describe them as clearly having a prehistory before they became known, having already divided into the three subtypes. As for where they are located in this time period - the objections are making assumptions that stretch credibility. Why can they not be living around the Sea of Rhun, for example?

I'm not saying it's a good thing that there are Hobbits in this, and I'd personally prefer if there weren't. What I am saying is that their presence doesn't actually contradict anything written, and it shouldn't take huge feats of mental agility to see that.

On the other hand, Nori Brandyfoot is a terrible name, and really shows how little the creators understand the naming schemes Tolkien used. The correct approach would have been to pull something from an ancient language. Westron didn't exist yet (well it did, but only in the sense that Westron is Adunaic) and anyway if the Hobbits were further east they wouldn't have mixed with those Mannish cultures, but there are plenty of alternatives.

Disa is an OK name for a Dwarf woman. Dís already exists in the Appendices as the mother of Fili and Kili so Disa is OK.

Most of the other created names are of the Nori Brandyfoot type to me - something that sounds Tolkien-ish in a throwaway handwavey sort of way, but nothing he would have actually used himself.

I think I don't like the trailer, but there's really too little in it to form a fair judgement on. I'm keeping faith that the Tolkien Estate will prevent obvious stupidity like changing how Finrod dies.

I don't buy that the creators have rights to nothing aside from the Hobbit and LotR material. That map of Númenor they released is straight out of Unfinished Tales, and Unfinished Tales is the only place it exists, so there must at least be some kind of arrangement for selective use of other material.

Right now my biggest concern is around the Celebrimbor stuff, and the trailer did nothing for that. Númenor can be covered by material from the LotR appendices, G&C did a whole lot of moving around and not much else, so their story would need to be invented anyway, but the full Celebrimbor story only exists in Unfinished Tales (with a very compressed overview in the Silmarillion) and it's such an essential part of the overall story of the Rings. If the creators don't have access to this material I can't see them being able to do this story properly at all, and that's a huge concern: the series is called "Rings of Power" after all.
Old 02-17-2022, 03:27 AM   #55
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Gil-Galad

Let's talk about Gil-Galad.

Despite all the devoted Tolkien fans out on the 'net who are horrified - purely on the basis of the difference from canon, and definitely nothing else that rhymes with dracism - by such things as a non-white elf and a non-white dwarf, you know what I haven't seen? Any complaints about Gil-Galad, who looks nothing like his canon self.

His sword was long, his lance was keen
His shining helm afar was seen
The countless stars of heaven's field
Were mirrored in his silver shield

Gil-Galad's colours are blue and silver; they're the colours on his emblem, and descriptions like "into darkness fell his star" imply that he actually wore star-silver. It's even in his name! But the series has put him in gold.

Also, we know now the colour of his hair, and it's not black. From NoME, 2.IV (dated 1969):

As in the name 'Gil-galad' 'star of radiance' given to Finwain, last High-king of the Eldar, because of the radiance of his silver hair, armour, and shield that, it is said, could even in the moonlight be seen from many leagues afar.

So - unlike dwarf or Nandor skin colour - we have an explicit, late statement from Tolkien that aligns with his later thoughts on Gil-Galad's ancestry (as a descendent of Finarfin, he is kin to Elwe and thus has silver hair in his ancestry, same as Galadriel). And yet the showmakers choose to ignore that.

But y'know what? That's actually fine. Tolkien changed his mind about Gil-Galad's name and ancestry often enough that treating one comment on his hair as definitive is silly; and the point of putting him in gold is to a) show him to be royal, b) distinguish him easily from the other elves, and c) tie him thematically to the apparently mallorn-bearing Lindon. A visual adaptation is very different to a written story; you have to consider different things. (Most notably: written dialogue says everyone's name every couple of lines! Nobody wants TV to have to do the comic book thing, "Gil-Galad! It is I, Galadriel, returned from my meeting with Elrond here!")

Looking at both the trailer and his poster, we can see that Gil-Galad is carrying that tall, 8-pointed star that also appears on Galadriel's armour. It's not the Star of Feanor, which has even arms and 8 additional rays. It could be partly based on the uneven star on Gil-Galad's emblem, but my guess is it's just a generic "Star of the High Elves".

He's also wearing a lot of rings - at least five. I'm not sure I like the look - though really, how often are we going to get a closeup of his hands? I guess it's a reference to the fact that he winds up carrying both Vilya and Narya; or perhaps it's just implying that rings are a massive Elvish vice, and that's why Celebrimbor started making them?

As for the robes: they kind of look like they were made for the poster. There's all that overlaid gold wrapping in intricately embroidered cloth; and then, when you get above the poster, it's a plain gold ?tunic / ?sheet of metal with crossed bandoliers.

And no crown. From Turgon and Finrod we know that elven kings did wear crowns, and the movies even gave Elrond a tiara - so why does the High King not get one? Maybe he just doesn't wear it except on state occasions (perhaps this shot takes place in his back garden).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhagain
I don't buy that the creators have rights to nothing aside from the Hobbit and LotR material. That map of Númenor they released is straight out of Unfinished Tales, and Unfinished Tales is the only place it exists, so there must at least be some kind of arrangement for selective use of other material.
This has been speculated. They've bought the TV rights to LotR + Hobbit, but the Estate is involved in a way they weren't for the movies. As you say, they must have granted specific permission to use the map, so they're clearly considering things on a case-by-case basis.

Personally, I hope they're being 'generous'/lenient enough to let the story run as it does in Tolkien's texts. Things like: Tar-Miriel should be forcibly married to Pharazon, and should attempt to climb Meneltarma at the last. Otherwise, you'd be doing the character a complete disservice. Some things (like how Finrod dies) can be worked around, but to do that with Miriel would mean writing her out entirely.

hS
Old 02-17-2022, 08:07 AM   #56
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
I don't think we can see Nori's ears, but aren't Hobbits the only ones we know had pointed ears? Tolkien Gateway says it's from Letter 27, and I think it's sometimes used to argue that elves did too (it's the "slightly pointed and 'elvish'" line).
Fair enough. I have to say that here I am a prisoner to my own "headcanon" based on my early readings and perception of the world where, as opposed to all other mainstream fantasy, Elves did not have pointed ears; and Hobbits' description in all the commonly accessible sources absolutely does not mention any difference besides the size, curly hair and hairy feet. This is, I guess, the case of super-thorough nitpicky research on something that is not particularly clearly stated versus generic overall impression, and I, unusually, went with the latter.

In any case, my point about pointy ears being the decisive factor in recognising an Elf stands: it should not be like that. You should recognise an Elf by starlight in their eyes or whatever. But that said, granted, I understand that in the cinema, the former is the easiest way of doing it, also for the bulk audience who already are used to pointy-ears being the distinctive feature of the Elves.

(But I still think that is wrong simply because if having some clearly "nonhuman" body part was the difference between the races, then exactly the case of all Túrins etc being mistaken for Elves would be pretty different. If your world is inhabited by "normal" people and then people with an extra limb, third eye or pointy ears, you are going to focus on that characteristic and it would be the foremost in your mind at all times. Also then raises the question if it were so, why was it never described when anyone from Bilbo to Éomer first saw the Elves etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
As for #2: if Halbrand is Numenorean, then for a thousand years or more Numenorean society has been turning hard against the elves. I don't think Galadriel would be overly trusting of a people who are claiming most of Middle-earth as their own personal slave-taking playground, and literally had a king who called himself "Lord of the West".
But that would be the explanation for her suspicion of him, yet the trailer shot (anyway, it is just a trailer shot) is framed the way that he is the one who is surprised what sort of alien impostor (or perhaps what sort of species he thought has been extinct) this might be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan View Post
I cannot fathom why anybody, even out of their right mind, would don antlers in such a manner as is depicted outside of a religious ceremony. You would get blown over by every gust of wind. Perhaps that is the point and these people periodically travel by wind power..?
I am too stupefied, but well, I guess we have to wait to see more about them. We don't even know who exactly they are. Maybe they are just hunters returning from killing the Antlered-Spawn of Glaurung.

Quote:
There's not an over-reliance on CGI:
Certainly a good thing; even though in this era, after two decades of amazement by the possibilities of CGI (effectively started by PJ's LotR, no less), there is nowadays a bit of a revival of "good ol' school puppets and real stuff" (cf. recent Star Wars). It does not make it necessarily "better", it simply is "the new mainstream" to have a bit of "real stuff" in your film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro
But it appears young Elrond's storyline is going to be focused on a friendship with Durin IV, which Payne says Elrond is trying to "repair their friendship." Still not quite what I think when I hear "Elrond," but maybe not as bad as when I first heard him described as a "politician."
Well, let us anyway remember that these characters have certain development before them (HOPEFULLY!).

I mean, if in the first episode we are going to see Elrond being like, say, "I am illiterate and I hate books", I can already see fans screaming that this is not Elrond, but then the series is going to show how he meets Celebrían and she shows him a book and he is like "meh, no way!" and then he starts reading it and becomes enthralled, and then becomes an expert on Moon-letters, then I say, this is the proper way to do it. Same goes for being a wily politician or anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhagain View Post
Apologies for dragging up Hobbits again, but Tolkien did describe them as clearly having a prehistory before they became known, having already divided into the three subtypes. As for where they are located in this time period - the objections are making assumptions that stretch credibility. Why can they not be living around the Sea of Rhun, for example?

I'm not saying it's a good thing that there are Hobbits in this, and I'd personally prefer if there weren't. What I am saying is that their presence doesn't actually contradict anything written, and it shouldn't take huge feats of mental agility to see that.
Basically this. It may be good, may be bad, but it is within artistic license and it is a plausibility that the proto-Hobbits lived anywhere outside Eriador. Or heck, if you really really stretched it, they could even have lived somewhere in Eriador in the beginning, then sometime in the middle of the Second Age be chased away for some reason (say, Númenorean raids), live somewhere in the East for some thousand years, and then move into Anduin Valleys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhagain
On the other hand, Nori Brandyfoot is a terrible name, and really shows how little the creators understand the naming schemes Tolkien used. The correct approach would have been to pull something from an ancient language. Westron didn't exist yet (well it did, but only in the sense that Westron is Adunaic) and anyway if the Hobbits were further east they wouldn't have mixed with those Mannish cultures, but there are plenty of alternatives.
Indeed. I don't know how it was possible, when doing Tolkien, to overlook the central subject of language, as it seems to be the case at the moment. I mean, if the Harfoots either were named something like Déagol or at least something close to the upper-half of the Hobbit family trees, it would be okay. Nori is a Dwarf.

Quote:
Despite all the devoted Tolkien fans out on the 'net who are horrified - purely on the basis of the difference from canon, and definitely nothing else that rhymes with dracism - by such things as a non-white elf and a non-white dwarf, you know what I haven't seen? Any complaints about Gil-Galad, who looks nothing like his canon self.

His sword was long, his lance was keen
His shining helm afar was seen
The countless stars of heaven's field
Were mirrored in his silver shield

Gil-Galad's colours are blue and silver; they're the colours on his emblem, and descriptions like "into darkness fell his star" imply that he actually wore star-silver. It's even in his name! But the series has put him in gold.
Literally what I said in my previous post. Gil-Galad should be the one in Galadriel's "Joan of Arc" armour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
Personally, I hope they're being 'generous'/lenient enough to let the story run as it does in Tolkien's texts. Things like: Tar-Miriel should be forcibly married to Pharazon, and should attempt to climb Meneltarma at the last. Otherwise, you'd be doing the character a complete disservice. Some things (like how Finrod dies) can be worked around, but to do that with Miriel would mean writing her out entirely.
Literally this. If it is true that the Estate is granting some tidbits here and there on a case-by-case basis, then this would be the good piece that should be included. Besides, for instance the Meneltarma thing is such a stunning idea for cinema that I can literally see it in my mind. Of all things, that should be put on-screen. (And you could even shamelessly make it akin to PJ's Frodo&Sam upon Mount Doom-ending, intentionally referencing it, only instead of fire having water - and that would be all perfect as far as I am concerned.)
Old 02-17-2022, 08:45 AM   #57
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
Besides, for instance the Meneltarma thing is such a stunning idea for cinema that I can literally see it in my mind. Of all things, that should be put on-screen. (And you could even shamelessly make it akin to PJ's Frodo&Sam upon Mount Doom-ending, intentionally referencing it, only instead of fire having water - and that would be all perfect as far as I am concerned.)
...you're a monster.

---

Tar-Miriel clings to the rock of the Meneltarma, her finery all in tatters, the crown Pharazon forced on her washed away. Below her, the towers of Armenelos are falling; as we watch, the great dome of Sauron's temple cracks and falls to the waves.

Above her, the Holy Mountain towers, wreathed in stormclouds. It is so close now, but still impossibly far. There is no way she can reach it.

Unless...

We see movement, at first seeming to be merely the stirring of the clouds: a downward ripple, as if something is falling through them. It repeats. Lightning flashes. The clouds part - and the Eagles of the Lords of the West emerge.

They are vast and terrible and beautiful - barely even birds any more, their claws clasping lightning, their wings a shadow that blots out the sun. But we can see something in their eyes - not rage or hate, but a pity so deep it becomes something else.

They swoop down from the storm, towards the waters, their eyes fixed on Miriel. She struggles upright, raising her hands in appeal; we see her lips move, forming the prayer to Eru that should have been spoken in the mountaintop hallows. We are with the Eagles now, watching her come closer, until she is covered by their beating wings...

... and they pass over, flying out of the storm, and the wild waters consume Tar-Miriel, last Queen of Numenor.

---

Because sometimes, the Eagles don't come.

And you're a monster for putting it in my head.

hS
Old 02-17-2022, 09:03 AM   #58
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

White Tree

Quote:
...you're a monster.
That is one of my best qualities.

Quote:
Because sometimes, the Eagles don't come.
Yes, I did not want to state it so bluntly, but that is exactly what I was thinking.

And you wrote it so beautifully that now I do want to see it. If any of the Amazon team is reading this, I beg you...
Old 02-17-2022, 01:37 PM   #59
mhagain
Wight

It occurs to me that the First Age stuff is easily solved. There's enough material in the LotR Appendices to form an outline that can be usable as a prologue, and then all that needs to be done is show some non-specific scenes of Elves and Men in combat. So we could very easily be shown, say, Finrod in combat (at one of the earlier battles), together with a voiceover that just says he died but without explaining how. Fingolfin and Fingon don't actually appear in the Appendices, not even by name. Turgon does but only as a fleeting reference. Of all the First Age Elven Kings, Finrod is the one with most information about him, and we're told he was King of Nargothrond, brother of Galadriel, and gave his life to save Beren (but nothing more specific).

There's also the matter of Gildor Inglorion, with Inglorion meaning "son of Inglor", and Inglor being an earlier name for Finrod from first edition times, but that's probably best kept away from.

For the Second Age, the biggest hole is, as I've said, the story of Celebrimbor. The material in LotR is so thin as to be virtually non-existent, and even if the show can supplement it with the Silmarillion it's barely better. They absolutely need Unfinished Tales for this, particularly if they need to present it in a matter that doesn't contradict Unfinished Tales. Doing a story of Celebrimbor without UT, but also without contradicting UT, would be absurd, and the only solution would be to put the whole matter of the Rings creation and theft by Sauron behind the scenes. Which would also be absurd for a show named "Rings of Power".

On that basis I refuse to believe that the show doesn't have this material, but I guess we'll see.

Everything else seems adequately covered. Númenor, on a quick glance through LotR and comparison with Akallabeth, is very well-covered, but it would, I agree, be a shame to lose the Miriel story. Galadriel is very thinly-covered again, but there's no real detail there anyway, which would free the show up to invent things. Lindon, more or less likewise. And so with pretty much everything else.

If I were to fan-theory about the timeline compression, something that might work might be placing Sauron's capture and imprisonment in Númenor directly after the Númenoreans rout Sauron from Eriador. In other words, a merging of Tar Minastir and Ar Pharazon. There's not a huge amount of info in the Tale of Years (or any other source, barring the Númenorean king list) for the gap between the two anyway, so that should be very doable.
Old 02-17-2022, 10:42 PM   #60
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

Yes, one could cobble together a Second Age storyline from Appendices A and B. Especially since, as per the showrunner, the series only takes place in the last century or so of the Age: Isildur's lifetime, and the Fall of Numennor and the Last Alliance are covered laconically but decently..

But it should be kept in mind that such a storyline only could, hypothetically, be done. There was never any guarantee that it would be, because there was never any guarantee that the job would be entrusted to writers of any skill or sensitivity. And now it is apparent that they possess neither; they can no more comprehend what they have been given to work with than a tribe of cave men could comprehend a smartphone. Every single thing about the reveal reeks of cluelessness, and the replacement of Tolkien with schlock standard-issue Genre Fantasy.

Whether or not they get hair color or skin color or the basics of nomenclature right is just the surface of it, and really unimportant except as a symptom of the disease: total incapacity and incomprehension, Cardi B fans confronted by the Missa Solemnis, Orcs in Lothlorien.

Now, I don't think it's necessary that to count as a "true fan" one has to have read the Athrabeth or the Statute of Finwe and Miriel, or even the Silmarillion for that matter. But if we take The Lord of the Rings on its own terms, it is palpable on every page that they are in the same universe, that Frodo and Aragorn and all the rest live in the same reality that encompasses the high seriousness of the more recondite works.

The Athrabeth could not exist in this Amazon travesty. There is no room for a philosphical framework here, because the only framework there is is "how do we work this hackneyed plot device into the story?" The most expensive television production in history has less intellectual depth than a decent superhero flick: nothing but an assemblage of lazy cliches. The problem with General Galadriel in her silly plate armor is not wther it is "canon" or "faithful to the books," but rather, and far more egregiiously, that Warrior Wimmen are a tired old pop-culture trope by now (dear God, James Cameron made Terminator 2 and Aliens back in the eighties!), and Amazon Galadriel (ha!) is just a reflection of an impotence of creativity, an inability to conceive of a mighty woman in any terms other than the worn-out masculine framework of hitting things with sharp objects and climbing glaciers with really, really inadequate mountaineering equipment. Tolkien, a man born in Victoria's reign, could manage it, but not these contemporary Hollywood hacks.

I have to say, this has caused me to ameliorate somewhat my disdain for PJ's LR, simply by demonstrating that it could have been so, so much worse.

Last edited by William Cloud Hicklin; 02-17-2022 at 10:50 PM.
William Cloud Hicklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 09:09 AM   #61
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Not to give Lommy more cringes, but just thinking about Galadriel being a water-bender because, you know she has the "Ring of Water."

Clearly, Elrond being a politician would make sense to get Vilya, the "Ring of Air," to help with all the hot-air politicians have to spew.

I seem to vaguely recall that at some point Gil-galad had Narya, but ends up giving it to Cirdan. "The Ring of Fire" hmm..Gil-galad being engulfed in flames in his battle against Sauron, could have just been fire-bending gone wrong. Or maybe Cirdan figured out a good insurance scam when his ships catch fire - I mean he always has blaming the Noldor to fall back on.
Old 02-19-2022, 07:39 PM   #62
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:

My comments regarding Hobbits were only part of my disdain for the whole. Taken in total, and based on a trailer and an article, it seems every superfluously silly storyline and fan-fictional foible of Peter Jackson has been magnified by the producers here -- and we haven't even gotten to the release of the series. The hapless heaping helping of Halflings is just a symptom of a complete disregard for Tolkien's works.

Do Hobbits exist in the 2nd Age? Sure. Do they need to be in a story that literally has nothing whatsoever to do with them, and who Tolkien literally said do not appear until the middle of the 3rd Age? No, evidently they were only added as a sop for a certain demographic of LOTR film-fan who wants to see the Shire again but can't afford to fly to New Zealand.

Galadriel, for instance, is demeaned as some impetuous Elven Valkyrie in plate armor (yeah, plate armor always cracks me up in Middle-earth), seeking some vengeful vendetta against foes who no longer exist. Given Galadriel is an Elda born in Valinor, who beheld the Two Trees, intuitively saw the malingering evil in Fëanor, crossed the Helcaraxë, and had a millenia-long stay learning at the feet of Melian the Maia, I don't see her as being impetuous, or needing to don armor to be like one of the guys, for that matter. Not to mention all of her brothers died in the 1st Age, Morgoth is locked away, the balrogs are destroyed or hidden away in the bowels of the earth, and Sauron is still Annatar (isn't he?).

As William Cloud Hicklin correctly concluded, Galadriel's appearance reeks of the warrior woman trope, and detracts from the innate abilities and wisdom that made Galadriel one of the most powerful beings in Arda -- this might as well be the cartoon Heavy Metal with a Middle-earth overlay. Perhaps if they fitted Galadriel with a steel-cupped brassiere....

And stranded on a raft with a mortal? Let's ignore the idea that yachting was not one of Galadriel's pastimes, but the mortal grabs her by the hair? An Elf would not survive such effrontery on her person; therefore, I wonder if the mortal is summarily tossed from the raft, and whether his fingers were still intact.

Again, faux pas strictly from a trailer and article. That they would advertise it that way leads me to the inexorable conclusion that this will be a high-priced Elf and Sorcery boondoggle fit for a new World of Warcraft MMORPG. I will lay odds that the game(s) are already in development.
Old 02-20-2022, 10:48 AM   #63
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post

Do Hobbits exist in the 2nd Age? Sure. Do they need to be in a story that literally has nothing whatsoever to do with them, and who Tolkien literally said do not appear until the middle of the 3rd Age? No, evidently they were only added as a sop for a certain demographic of LOTR film-fan who wants to see the Shire again but can't afford to fly to New Zealand.
I think that demographic is larger than you believe it to be, or I should say the demographic isn't just film-fans. It was either Milton Waldman, or one of publishers when Tolkien was trying to get the Silmarillion published that said one of the essential problems with the Silm is "it contained no hobbits." This was decades before the films were made, but I think proves a point that people wanted to read about Tolkien's hobbits long before Jackson's adaptation.

I stand by my previous comment about the 2 Harfoot characters (but because of Legate, I need to add the caveat "if only"). The show runners have said the harfoots are included to fill in a Rosencrantz and Guildenstern type role. If it's only that role, then they would have no direct involvement in resolving the plot or significant interaction with the characters in the series. They would essentially be travelers in the background, translating information to the audience, so their role would be directly passing information to the audience, and not the in-story plot or its characters. Similar to the fox passing through in the chapter Three is Company. In my opinion, that's a creative way to include characters, who are known to be able to avoid being spotted by the "big folk," and not be disrespectful to Tolkien.

Now if the Harfoots take a significant involvement in the battles, or events, interacting with characters, resolving the conflicts then that would be 2 middle-fingers to Tolkien. As well as make them liars, or seriously not understanding the roles of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern in a story.

Quote:
Galadriel, for instance, is demeaned as some impetuous Elven Valkyrie in plate armor (yeah, plate armor always cracks me up in Middle-earth), seeking some vengeful vendetta against foes who no longer exist. Given Galadriel is an Elda born in Valinor, who beheld the Two Trees, intuitively saw the malingering evil in Fëanor, crossed the Helcaraxë, and had a millenia-long stay learning at the feet of Melian the Maia, I don't see her as being impetuous, or needing to don armor to be like one of the guys, for that matter. Not to mention all of her brothers died in the 1st Age, Morgoth is locked away, the balrogs are destroyed or hidden away in the bowels of the earth, and Sauron is still Annatar (isn't he?)
There is more than one way to get to the same final location. Galadriel goes through a ton of growth, and is much different by the Lord of the Rings, the Galadriel that most people are going to be familiar with. A film or series doesn't have the same amount of time to expand and show growth in characters. It doesn't have the benefit of time to explain in a few sentences the passage of time and how a character changes...

Quote:
'Galadriel was the greatest of the Noldor, except Fëanor maybe, though she was wiser than he, and her wisdom increased with the long years...and she grew to be tall beyond the measure even of the women of the Noldor; she was strong of body, mind, and will, a match for both the loremasters and the athletes of the Eldar in the days of their youth.' ~History of Galadriel and Celeborn
Now if one wants to show growth in a character from a movie or series, how can it be done to show that "Galadriel's widom increased with the long years?" Stories have to have their characters grow, as aggravating as it was to see a weak and uncertain Aragorn, one of your main characters has to grow throughout the story. You don't get the luxury of translating Aragorn's 80 year backstory in a few hours of screen time.

Sure I agree Galadriel in the 2nd Age is probably not the same Galadriel from her rebellion days, but showing how Galadriel does change as a character, that is she wasn't always the Galadriel from Lord of the Rings, would be an accurate portrayal of her growth. It doesn't fit the timeline, but the timeline has to be compressed, and characters in all stories have to show growth.

She fought against Feanor in the Kinslaying:

Quote:
Even after the merciless assault upon the Teleri and the rape of their ships, though she fought fiercely against Feanor in defense of her mother's kin, she did not turn back. Her pride was unwilling to return, a defeated suppliant for pardon; but now she burned with desire to follow Feanor with her anger to whatever lands he might come, and to thwart him in all ways that she could.
Unless you can convince me that when Tolkien writes Galadriel "fought fiercely against Feanor", he doesn't mean she actually picked up arms "in defense of her mother's kin" then I see no problem with depicting Galadriel as being able to wield a blade, or any other type of weapon.

Quote:
From her earliest years she had a marvellous gift of insight into the mind of others, but judged them with mercy and understanding, and she withheld her goodwill from none save only Feanor. In him she perceived a darkness that she hated and fear, though she did not perceive that the shadow of the same evil had fallen upon the minds of all the Noldor, and upon her own.
Yes she perceived the evil in Feanor, but also note her pride, her own anger, and the inability to perceive that some piece of Melkor's corruption had fallen "upon the minds of all the Noldor, and upon her own."

She tells Frodo when she's tested and offered the Ring:

Quote:
"You begin to see with a keen eye. I do not deny that my heart has greatly desired to ask what you offer. For many long years I had pondered what I might do, should the Great Ring come into my hands, and behold! It was brought within my grasp."~The Mirror of Galadriel
This would have to be Galadriel talking about her 2nd Age self, because the One Ring wasn't made until the 2nd Age, and she admits her "heart has greatly desired" to ask for the Great Ring to come into her grasp and "many long years pondered" what she might do with it. Again, this proves a point she might not be a warrior who would fight "fiercely against Feanor," but she was still not the same Galadriel Frodo meets in Lothlorien.

Quote:
It was not until two long ages more had passed, when at last all that she had desired in her youth came to her hand, the Ring of Power and the dominion of Middle-earth of which she had dreamed, that her wisdom was full grown and she rejected it, and passing the last test departed from Middle-earth for ever.~The History of Galadriel and Celeborn
I'd make a case that 2nd Age Galadriel would not have rejected the Ring of Power if it had come within her grasp then.

Last edited by Boromir88; 02-20-2022 at 12:46 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 01:56 PM   #64
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

I'd also just like to point out the criticism of depicting a young Galadriel being an armored up fighter smells of sexism when the same criticism isn't made that depicts Elrond as a fighter.

While it's true Elrond is mentioned a few times being in a position of command, leading an army, or being second-in-command to Gil-galad's forces in the Last Alliance, there is actually no description of him fighting, as in performing the action of "fighting." Galadriel is specifically mentioned to having "fought fiercely against Feanor" in his attack on Alqualonde.

Elrond is in a position of commanding an army (but being a leader of an army in battle doesn't necessarily mean you physically fought in that battle), so I think it's a fair assumption to make that he would have fought, or at least be armored and wielding a weapon to fight if he had to. However, those are just assumptions we make, there's no actual text describing Elrond physically fought anyone in the Last Alliance and Siege of Barad-dur. He says that him and Cirdan stood with Gil-galad when Gil-galad wrestled Sauron, but that's the only action described. Actually something that's associated to Elrond more is he's mentioned as being a skilled healer, arguably the best healer, so one could easily assume he was at the battle in the capacity of being a medic/healer (and 2nd in command). That would be another assumption, but my point being there's more textual evidence to have a warrior, armored up Galadriel than there is of Elrond...yet I don't ever hear anyone griping about Elrond's armored up depiction in PJ's films.
Old 02-20-2022, 04:29 PM   #65
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
I'd also just like to point out the criticism of depicting a young Galadriel being an armored up fighter smells of sexism when the same criticism isn't made that depicts Elrond as a fighter.
Um, sorry, but no. What you are saying is that the reason I am a number of others have taken badly to the idea of Valkirie-Galadriel is because she is a woman, and had Elrond been in the same spot, we would not be equally as disgusted with the idea. Sorry, but I think that misses the point entirely.

The issue is not that Galadriel is a woman who is swinging a sword; the issue is that the story we can piece together is Galadriel throwing a hissy tantrum, and the sword and armour just happen to be part of the package. She is absolutely a woman who can wear armour and wield weapons - if there is a woman who can do that, it is her. She wasn't named Nerwen for nothing. But, at the same time, she wasn't named Nerwen for her physical prowess alone; the name reflects more than her tendency to masculine hobbies, but a more masculine frame of mind. Hard. Stubborn. Ambitious. Knows her mind. Has it her way. Stern. Perhaps quick to anger in her younger days. Cunning. Proud. You want to start not with the already calmed and grieved Second-Age Galadriel but the more fiery First Age Nerwen - fine, start with Nerwen. But she is not Nerwen because she can swing a sword. She is Nerwen deep inside her soul, a leader, a player of the big game, a strong-minded and strong-willed person, more full of strength than subtlety, but a strength of will as much as of body. She doesn't need a sword to be Nerwen, she just is; she would still be Nerwen if she never rode a horse or held a weapon. Does Nerwen throw a hissy-fit and go on some lonely revenge-quest against non-existent enemies? Especially a Nerwen who has lived through the Wars of Beleriand? Sorry, that's not Nerwen, that is not even Eowyn, that is... I don't know what. A glorified tomboy? But let's not condemn criticism of the butchering of her character to sexism. It's being unfair first and foremost to Galadriel herself. If anything, it's more sexist to reduce a complex female character to an empty suit of armour and claim that this somehow enhances her.

As for Elrond - have we actually seen him fighting in any of the promo materials? Yes, I expect him to be fighting at some point or other, and I expect to see him standing by Gil-Galad. I don't recall seeing any ridiculous Elrond fighting scenes as yet though, so not sure what you are expecting the audience to criticize. I am happy to criticize the ridiculous Silvan Elf stunt-fighting style - but where has Elrond appeared fighting? Or did I block out a whole scene from my memory? If you just mean that he stood wearing armour in Gil-Galad's forces in the LOTR films - I thought that was actually pretty close to how he comes across in the books, and there's no reason to assume someone would not don armour when expecting to be in the midst of a battle. I just thought it was silly that he didn't have a helmet, but I suppose you need your character to be identifiable by the audience. And he is Gil-Galad's herald, and stood beside him in the Last Alliance. It is less natural to argue against his participation than to argue for it. Had he been portrayed as a bloodthirsty butcher - that would be a different story. A reluctant but competent fighter, and a loyal and reliable lieutenant, and a level-headed leader of his men - that is not at all out of keeping with his character. I don't think we see that in the LOTR movies, but as we don't see the contrary either, so why complain there. I think that the argument you've made is pretty weak - or perhaps I have misunderstood it, and if so, my apologies.

Elrond's character is also being butchered, but in his case it's with the role of a "wily politician". I think we've complained enough about that to not have to rehash why it makes me cringe. Can we say that both characters seem to be utterly misunderstood so far - but that we are only given the very beginning of their tales, so there is still a sliver of hope that after the first couple of episodes things will get less ridiculous? And, now that you've brought up Elrond as a mirror for Galadriel (), I realize that it would not be half as cringeworthy to portray Galadriel as a wily politician in the Second Age and early Third Age. She is the ambitious one looking out for her interests and her kingdom's interests, who seeks independence and builds alliances, who initiates the Council of the Wise and is involved with wheels turning in the background of many of the great events of those Ages.
Old 02-20-2022, 04:32 PM   #66
mhagain
Wight

The single strongest argument against a wise 2nd Age Galadriel is how she's handled at the end of the 1st Age. That's a story that was developed in multiple variants, but whether she rejects the pardon of the Valar, whether the Valar keep her under the Ban (and IIRC one version where she would have stayed anyway), whichever way you slice it this is still a character who has a long way to go, and would have continued to be a disruptive presence in the Blessed Realm.
Old 02-20-2022, 08:02 PM   #67
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
The single strongest argument against a wise 2nd Age Galadriel is how she's handled at the end of the 1st Age. That's a story that was developed in multiple variants, but whether she rejects the pardon of the Valar, whether the Valar keep her under the Ban (and IIRC one version where she would have stayed anyway), whichever way you slice it this is still a character who has a long way to go, and would have continued to be a disruptive presence in the Blessed Realm.
Aye. The Second Age Galadriel is not yet wise, or as wise as can be. She is still ambitious, and proud, and headstrong. But she is not brash. I hate that word so much. It might just barely apply to her in the beginning of the First Age, but it's a stretch to say that she was that even with her end of the First Age decisions. She might not have reached her full wisdom, but she is not some impertinent tomboy; at the very least her temper is a little softened with patience and the knowledge of loss. Her descriptions in the show keep putting me in mind of Obara Sand from GOT and various action-movie heroines and that is just not who she is. Pre-Helcaraxe Galadriel might have ridden off on a horse after an argument to chase some bad guys around and pout. End of First Age Galadriel acts on a bigger scale. This is a woman who has kingdoms on her mind. She thinks in bigger goals. Chasing some scattered enemies in a one-[obsessed]-man-mission because she has no bigger ambition (?) or nothing better to do (?) is petty and small and just not the scale to which the end-of-FA Galadriel would apply herself with such zeal. So do I conclude that the show Galadriel really has nothing more to her than action figure sword waving? I am trying very hard to give it the benefit of the doubt, but purely based on the info they have released to date, I am very not happy.

I am not sure why Galadriel irks me more than the other irksome things in the promo material. It might be that I've grown more attached to her after becoming her namesake. I suspect it is a case of the show just disregarding the essence of the world they are portraying, as William has been saying, and all the specific examples of misinterpretation are just the manifestations of the underlying problem. But some things you are more willing to forgive, whereas others just hit a little too close to what is dear and should not be touched. Maybe this is one of mine.
Old 02-20-2022, 09:35 PM   #68
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Now if the Harfoots take a significant involvement in the battles, or events, interacting with characters, resolving the conflicts then that would be 2 middle-fingers to Tolkien. As well as make them liars, or seriously not understanding the roles of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern in a story.
I would suggest prominently displaying a Hobbit in the trailer, as well as the actress playing the Hobbit doing the voiceover for said trailer, you are going to be dismayed. An Easter egg does not present itself in such manner.

Quote:
Now if one wants to show growth in a character from a movie or series, how can it be done to show that "Galadriel's wisdom increased with the long years?" Stories have to have their characters grow, as aggravating as it was to see a weak and uncertain Aragorn, one of your main characters has to grow throughout the story. You don't get the luxury of translating Aragorn's 80 year backstory in a few hours of screen time.

Sure I agree Galadriel in the 2nd Age is probably not the same Galadriel from her rebellion days, but showing how Galadriel does change as a character, that is she wasn't always the Galadriel from Lord of the Rings, would be an accurate portrayal of her growth. It doesn't fit the timeline, but the timeline has to be compressed, and characters in all stories have to show growth.

Unless you can convince me that when Tolkien writes Galadriel "fought fiercely against Feanor", he doesn't mean she actually picked up arms "in defense of her mother's kin" then I see no problem with depicting Galadriel as being able to wield a blade, or any other type of weapon.
I would direct you to a single phrase from the passage you quoted:

Quote:
...she fought fiercely against Feanor in defense of her mother's kin.
Exigent circumstance against the massacre of her kinsmen is wholly different than going all Godfather on a Sicilian vendetta, slaying various and sundry alleged foes in revenge for deaths that occurred in a prior Age. And then donning armor as a commander when we know that never happened in the 2nd Age. Intellectual and spiritual growth does not equal wanton slaughter.

Quote:
Yes she perceived the evil in Feanor, but also note her pride, her own anger, and the inability to perceive that some piece of Melkor's corruption had fallen "upon the minds of all the Noldor, and upon her own."

This would have to be Galadriel talking about her 2nd Age self, because the One Ring wasn't made until the 2nd Age, and she admits her "heart has greatly desired" to ask for the Great Ring to come into her grasp and "many long years pondered" what she might do with it. Again, this proves a point she might not be a warrior who would fight "fiercely against Feanor," but she was still not the same Galadriel Frodo meets in Lothlorien.

I'd make a case that 2nd Age Galadriel would not have rejected the Ring of Power if it had come within her grasp then.
She was extremely powerful and proud, but not brash or foolish. Celebrimbor handed her a Ring of Power because insight told him she was wise and would use the Ring to preserve and not destroy. Perhaps she would have used the One Ring in the 2nd Age, had it come to her; however, when she makes her remark to Frodo ("...my heart has greatly desired to ask what you offer. For many long years I had pondered what I might do..."), that was late in the 3rd Age after Sauron's return and the slow encircling of Lothlorien with evil.

The call of the One Ring on the other Rings of Power must have been intense at that point in time, and it would have taken everything in Galadriel's power to conceal hers from Sauron. I think once one puts that remark in context, it's clearly meant in regard to the waning of the Peoples of the West (of the Elves, Dwarves and Gondor) in the 3rd Age and the waxing of Sauron's strength.

Quote:
That she didn't want the mean restraints of being under the thumb of the Valar, forever forced to come and go by their leave, would and did rankle many of the other greater Elves as well. in this case, the strict paternal oversight of the Valar was one of the greatest of their miscalculations, and they made many tactical errors over the Ages.

Much like a parent forbidding their now mature children to go forth in the world, it is natural for a strong-willed person to rebel and strike out on their own. This is not a character flaw, it is a sign of independence and trust in one's own vision of their future. Her will was strong and her blood was still hot and her thirst for knowledge and ambition was unquenched. Again, I don't see this as a flaw that wisdom must overcome.

And in regards to wisdom, it is interesting that everyone ignores the centuries Galadriel spent with Melian the Maia, and I quote from the Later Quenta:

Quote:
"Yet Galadriel his [Finrod's] sister dwelt never in Nargothrond, but remained in Doriath and received the love of Melian, and abode with her, and there learned great lore and wisdom concerning Middle-earth."
She wasn't some churlish tomgirl Valkyrie out for vengeance at the dawn of the 2nd Age -- that entire plot point is asinine. She had no part in any of the great wars of the 1st Age, like her brothers, but suddenly she gets a hankering to lead armies in anachronistic armor in the 2nd Age?

She was a builder of kingdoms and a preserver of Elvish memory in both the 2nd Age and 3rd Age -- she founded a fiefdom in Lindon with Gil-Galad as her liege, then removed for a while to Lake Evendim in northern Eriador, went on to establish Eregion, and finally Lothlorien. But even then she left that behind and spent some time in Belfalas at the place later called Dol Amroth. She was the original Middle-earth Rolling Stone before Gandalf arrived.
Old 02-21-2022, 12:15 AM   #69
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

Do remember also that between her ban/refusal at the start of the Second Age, and the fall-of-Numenor era the TV show is set in, Galadriel had had over three millennia to think things over.
Old 02-21-2022, 02:13 AM   #70
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

I don't know how much impact it's having on people's thoughts, but I've noticed a couple of us seem to be misinterpreting Galadriel's lone quest. She's not a reckless vigilante on the hunt for enemies long dead - she's right. There's literally a shot in the trailer of her finding the Morgoth--spawned enemies she's been insisting are there, while (presumably) Gil-Galad and Elrond brush the idea off. "Morgoth is banished," they say, "the Balrogs are slain, Sauron has slunk off never to be seen again - take it easy, there's no orcs or trolls anywhere this side of the Orocarni."

But there are. And as a high-ranked leader of the Noldor, Galadriel is well within her rights to ignore her possibly-nephew's complacency, take a few soldiers, put on her old armour (because going /un/armoured would be suicidal), and go get the evidence.

Which exists. Because she's right. The Enemy is still there; the War never ended. And the safety of one Artanis Nerwen isn't more important than proving the threat.

(Heck, even at the end of the Third Age she probably wore armour - I've always pictured her tearing down the walls of Dol Guldur with magic in a dress, but realistically, you wear armour so one Orc with a bow doesn't get insanely lucky.)

hS
Old 02-21-2022, 07:18 AM   #71
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Quote:
I don't know how much impact it's having on people's thoughts, but I've noticed a couple of us seem to be misinterpreting Galadriel's lone quest. She's not a reckless vigilante on the hunt for enemies long dead - she's right. There's literally a shot in the trailer of her finding the Morgoth--spawned enemies she's been insisting are there, while (presumably) Gil-Galad and Elrond brush the idea off. "Morgoth is banished," they say, "the Balrogs are slain, Sauron has slunk off never to be seen again - take it easy, there's no orcs or trolls anywhere this side of the Orocarni."
Congratulations on your newest venture into fan-fiction -- let us know when you've posted it. Galadriel didn't don armor and go hunting or command armies in the 1st Age, and she didn't don armor and go hunting or command armies in the 3rd Age. What, she only gets the urge every other Age? It's a good thing she sailed for Valinor at the end of the 3rd, cos', boy oh boy! she was ready to kick some a** in the 4th Age!
Old 02-21-2022, 07:49 AM   #72
mhagain
Wight

Quote:
Congratulations on your newest venture into fan-fiction -- let us know when you've posted it. Galadriel didn't don armor and go hunting or command armies in the 1st Age, and she didn't don armor and go hunting or command armies in the 3rd Age. What, she only gets the urge every other Age? It's a good thing she sailed for Valinor at the end of the 3rd, cos', boy oh boy! she was ready to kick some a** in the 4th Age!
That's one way of viewing it, I suppose. Maybe an attractive way if you're predisposed to hating and negative interpretation of what's being done here.

Another way might be to view it as a "show, don't tell" rendering of Tolkien's depiction of Galadriel as one of the Elven leaders who did not think evil was gone forever, and who wasn't taken in by Annatar. A clumsy one, maybe, but we really don't have sufficient information yet to be able to fully form that judgement.

It's correct to be cautious about this for sure, but it's not correct to go from 0 to 120 on the internet hate fest at this stage.
Old 02-21-2022, 09:13 AM   #73
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Quote:
It's correct to be cautious about this for sure, but it's not correct to go from 0 to 120 on the internet hate fest at this stage.
Unless you're a shill for a corporate mega-conglomerate, calling out nonsense is completely acceptable as far as I'm concerned. And there is a lot of nonsense in just a brief trailer.

Just a trailer! Any half intelligent producer with the slightest clue of the work they are expropriating should have at least made a trailer that wouldn't alienate readers. And from what I've read elsewhere, I am not the only one who finds these cute little fan-fic deviations to be flat-out juvenile Mary-Sue level scripting. But if that's the type of story plotting you like following, by all means dish out your dollars to Amazon.
Old 02-21-2022, 09:22 AM   #74
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
Thanks! The Third Age equivalent is over here, let me know what you think!

But seriously, the articles and trailer make it clear that what I outlined is exactly what the showrunners are doing. They're not showing Galadriel on some quixotic quest - they're showing her as the only person who recognises the threat and is willing to do something about it. That's all I was pointing out.

And that concept is taken directly from Unfinished Tales:

"But eventually Galadriel... percieved that there was an evil controlling purpose abroad in the world, and that it seemed to proceed from a source further to the East, beyond Eriador and the Misty Mountains."

Tolkien specifically cites Galadriel as both becoming aware of and perceiving the rising threat of Sauron. She later "scorns" him as Annatar, but - despite (again in this account) being ruler of Eregion, doesn't throw him out. Tolkien is painting a clear picture of Galadriel as the one person who believes the Shadow is out there.

In this account, her involvement in the founding of Eregion is specifically as a ward against Sauron and to forge a a military alliance with Khazad-Dum (note that "Ost-in-Edhil" means "Fortress of the Elves". She crosses the mountains and acts against Sauron's influence in Lorinand, and later moves there to "[take] up rule, and defence against Sauron".

This is what we know Galadriel was up to, in the part of the Second Age which has been temporally compressed into season 1 of the show: she was an active, mobile, military presence who is the only person named as working to counter Sauron. Could she have done all that in a flowing white dress? Maybe, but it seems foolhardy when Elvish armour is available.

(As for the other Ages: in the First she was a student in a time of peace, and apparently left Beleriand entirely before war broke back out. In the Third, she was tied to Lorien, both as its ruler and as the bearer of Nenya.)

hS
Old 02-21-2022, 10:13 AM   #75
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:

But there are. And as a high-ranked leader of the Noldor, Galadriel is well within her rights to ignore her possibly-nephew's complacency, take a few soldiers, put on her old armour (because going /un/armoured would be suicidal), and go get the evidence.

Which exists. Because she's right. The Enemy is still there; the War never ended. And the safety of one Artanis Nerwen isn't more important than proving the threat.

(Heck, even at the end of the Third Age she probably wore armour - I've always pictured her tearing down the walls of Dol Guldur with magic in a dress, but realistically, you wear armour so one Orc with a bow doesn't get insanely lucky.)
It's not the armour that's the problem. I don't think that part is such a stretch. It's what they do with that point, and if anything remains to the clever and ambitious and insightful Galadriel except for her armour. Am I being pessimistic? Yes. I acknowledge the possibility of being pleasantly surprised, but I won't bet on it.

As for the rest - Galadriel is influential. She is a leader. She doesn't end up in a situation where she is all alone against the world. She persuades people. If those people are not her Noldorin relatives, they are people of her following. She sends spies and scouts. She organizes patrols. She gathers intelligence in ways that are accessible only to her as Melian's student. At the very least, if she believes her presence is more necessary on a quest than at the heart of her kingdom, she still doesn't go alone. She is supposed to play the game on a bigger scale, as the leader of a kingdom, or at least a large population. A place to which she got with all her characteristics and experiences listed upstream the thread. And what really hurts me is that of all those characteristics, the only one that seems to have survived so far was her tomboyishness.

But I admire your optimism. I agree that it is not outside the realm of possibility that actually this can all make sense within a reasonable portrayal of Galadriel. I just don't have your faith that it could be such.

Why couldn't they just stick to Numenor or something and be as unreasonable as they want with some Second Age king I don't even remember? Make up a whole backstory for him and his court, it would not even severely contradict anyone's head cannon... Gil-Galad and Galadriel could make appearances - appearances, not lead roles - to tie the story to what is known in the movieverse... That would have been grand.

Quote:
Galadriel didn't go hunting? That is outright not true. Command armies? When she is the head of the state, she certainly directs her armies... the strategy if not the tactics. If Denethor can be said to be a commander, so can she - and this is at the minimum, going by what is explicitly written in the text. As for wearing armour, I don't see how that would be such a stretch for her to occasionally do it. She was a tomboy after all. I don't find the bare fact as unbelievable as you.

(And if we stick to the bare text when it comes to dress, most of the people of ME would have to go around naked, lacking an explicit statement regarding wearing any sort of clothing).

Third Age Galadriel in LOTR seems so wise, and you can hardly imagine her otherwise. But in the context of The Sil, the difference in the 1st and 3rd Age Galadriel is also that by LOTR she is tired; she accepts defeat, she no longer wants to fight the windmills of time, and this repeated acceptance humbles her. The question is - will this be evident from the show's backstory? Or is it going to be "Galadriel was foolhardy and high spirited and brash, but then she grew out of it and became calm and wise"?

Quote:
Just a trailer! Any half intelligent producer with the slightest clue of the work they are expropriating should have at least made a trailer that wouldn't alienate readers. And from what I've read elsewhere, I am not the only one who finds these cute little fan-fic deviations to be flat-out juvenile Mary-Sue level scripting.
I mean, to be fair, often trailers end up as the worst representation of a movie, and if you wanna convince someone not to watch a movie, show them the trailer. I don't know how this paradox happens.

But yes. Absolutely expecting juvenile level character arcs and plot development. And, I mean, in the event that some of it isn't that - I would be pleasantly surprised.
Old 02-21-2022, 10:28 AM   #76
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

Quote:
Command armies? When she is the head of the state, she certainly directs her armies... the strategy if not the tactics.
Yes, but note Appendix B: "when the Shadow passed, Celeborn came forth and led the host of Lorien over Anduin in many boats. They took Dol Guldur, and Galadriel threw down its walls and laid bare its pits, and the forest was cleansed." Which I read as saying that the Lord of the Galadhrim was the military commander, the general and warrior, and the Lady's role was more magical and mystical. (Note also the parallel phrasing to Luthien's destruction of Sauron's tower on Tol-in-Gaurhoth long before: again, Luthien put forth her power after Huan, and Beren sort of, had already defeated Sauron and driven him off.)

I suppose it's worth mentioning that Elrond (who clearly was a general, at least during the First War of the Rings) was present at the battle of Dagorlad and the siege of Barad-dur with Gil-galad, as was Thranduil's father Oropher, but Galadriel makes no mention of having been there herself.
Old 02-21-2022, 11:29 AM   #77
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Quote:
Galadriel didn't go hunting? That is outright not true. Command armies? When she is the head of the state, she certainly directs her armies...
See WCH's most recent post.

When I referred to hunting, I was referring to balrogs and orcs (not a traditional bow hunt for four-hooved mammals). When I referred to commanding armies, I was not referring to a sovereign sending generals into battle, but rather that Galadriel was not a field general with sword in hand like Henry V exhorting his troops, "Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; Or close the wall up with our English dead!"
Old 02-21-2022, 03:26 PM   #78
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
Um, sorry, but no. What you are saying is that the reason I am a number of others have taken badly to the idea of Valkirie-Galadriel is because she is a woman, and had Elrond been in the same spot, we would not be equally as disgusted with the idea. Sorry, but I think that misses the point entirely.
I should have been more clear that my 2nd post comparing Elrond and Galadriel was not directed towards anyone or anything that's been said on this thread, or on the 'Downs. I did something that I never do and went to read youtube comments. Perhaps Galadriel in the show throws a hissy fit (I'm not sure I've seen enough to confirm she does)...but if you want to talk about tantrums? Wow, you don't have to look far to find people losing their minds about Cate Blanchett not being Galadriel, and because of "wokeness" they won't get to see Cate Blanchett in an elegant white gown. Or "Tolkien would be rolling in his grave if he knew Galadriel had a sword." My apologies as well for not being clear there's so much misogyny and sexism in the "fandom" at the moment. This place is a breath of fresh air, even though I still disagree and am glad they're going to show a different Galadriel.

Now if they make her into a Tauriel "This is MY fight" Mary Sue character, then sure the criticisms are going to be more valid. At the moment, they fall flat, when you consider people don't raise the same gripes about depicting Elrond as a fighter.

(Yes I'm doubling down)

In The Hobbit films, Elrond is off hunting orc parties on his borders and then he's armored in Dol Guldur to rescue Gandalf. The latter scene, makes reasonable sense. However, there is whole LOTR and Hobbit movie lore about Arwen's sword named "Hadhafang." It was Elrond's sword, and how great Elrond was wielding "Hadhafang." All made up by Jackson and the team. I don't know about the Amazon series, but the movies are clearly depicting Elrond as a fighter.

And my point here is there is more evidence that would suggest Galadriel is more capable, and has more of a disposition towards fighting (both physically and a greater will) than Elrond. Elrond is most commonly associated with healing, in fact being a great healer.

As I said, Elrond being someone who has commanded armies, and was at the Last Alliance it is a fair assumption to make that he would have actually fought in the battle. But Elrond, unlike Galadriel, is never directly given the action of "fighting" against anyone, or "killing" anyone. It's a reasonable assumption, but that would still be an assumption. Given that he was most known for being a great healer, I think it would be an equally fair assumption that he was at the battle to be serve in the capacity of an advisor (Gil-galad's 2nd in command) and healer. My point is though, we all make an assumption that Elrond would have fought in battles, because he's lead armies a few times. Then we would have to make that same assumption about Galadriel, because she it is directly quoted that she "fought against Feanor" in his attack on Alqualonde.

If you want to consider when Tolkien got philosophical in "Laws and Customs Among the Eldar," then there would even be evidence to suggest Elrond would not want to fight, and would not want to kill anyone, even in battle. Because there Tolkien remarks that a person's healing powers would diminish with the more people they killed. Granted it's not unlike Tolkien to contradict himself when he was writing more philosophically, but to have a problem with Galadriel being depicted as a warrior, and not have it about Elrond, is not a fair criticism. I shouldn't have gone to the extreme of saying it smells of sexism (not with what's been posted on this site) but hop onto youtube and see the hissy fits people who have no idea what they're talking about. I wonder if those trolls ever read Tolkien, because they make the Amazon show runners look like Tolkien scholars.

Last edited by Boromir88; 02-21-2022 at 03:29 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 06:57 PM   #79
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe Reading through this thread ... Incredible

Much of the 'analysis' I've seen online comes in with a 'hateful' bias from the start. I found that This Analysis by Cory Olsen was pretty objective and fairly balanced, and does a good job of pointing out what Tolkien actually wrote vs what has grown to be pop-culture in the wake of the Peter Jackson fan fics (bearded women dwarves as an example).

Sadly, it appears that many people already have written off this new Rings of Power series. I see the haters are really out in force with these latest poster and trailer reveals. One thing I noted in the various places the posters and first look articles were posted on fecebook (IMDB has some of the most horrid comments) reddit, and on some forums is a lot of the ones who hate this so bad think PJ did an awesome job presenting Lord of the Rings. They didn’t mind the many wholesale changes made to that complete book story, saying ‘it needed to be done to appeal to the masses’. I find that segment humorous.

Anyway, the main reasons for the hatred of The Rings of Power appears to be a mix of these:

A. I hate it because it is being made by Amazon.
B. Bezos made mention of Game of Thrones when he bought the rights, so it is going to be Game of Thrones.
C. It’s revisionist ‘woke’ BS (because it isn’t an all-white cast)
D. They are making stuff up that isn’t in the source material (original characters and storylines, tweaking canon characters, and such).
E. They didn’t use the same actors that PJ did, so it’s crap.
F. It doesn’t matter if the Tolkien Estate is actively involved. They only care about money, not Tolkien’s legacy after Christopher died, so it will be crap.

That is just to name a few I’ve come across. Any more reasons given?
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 07:15 PM   #80
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

While there are extremes of both opinions, and while this site is perhaps more anti-Amazon inclined, is it even possible anymore to present moderate opinions on the matter without being accused of being an extremist one way or the other? Can we all take a step back and calm down a little? It's a show. We will dislike things (for myself, Galadriel's portrayal is an example), we might like some things (for myself - the random references to Two Trees and such scattered in bits of costume), we might have no firm opinion either way on some things (for myself - Gil-Galad: not how I imagined him but not ghastly off either). Can we express opinions on these things anymore without forgetting that disagreeing with the showrunners doesn't make you a die-hard hater, and liking or defending the show's decisions doesn't make you a die-hard fanatic? It's a show. We can debate and discuss it and chew it over peacefully to the extent that it gives us pleasure to do so. And when it comes out, we will watch it (or not) to the extent it gives us pleasure, and the moment it starts giving more grief than pleasure we turn off the screen. It should be this simple, but it just somehow got very complicated. I feel like this thread has been escalating ever more, though there have been multiple attempts to pacify things. Please let's not forget that in the end, all this matters very little? With the debate getting ever more heated and emotionally involved, and the posts coming in so frequently, I am beginning to feel a bit like Hui and getting the itch to ++vote.