The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2004, 07:06 PM   #1
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
White Tree LOTR Astrology Project (Introduction)

I've had this idea in mind for years and have never had a chance or place to express this project or ideal. What i've longed to write down and share to others is the more "detective" delving part of being a lotr fan. The combination of astrological knowledge and Tolkien's lotr timeline can provide amazing results as to understanding characters better. Most of all, understanding character's general personality make-up.

I wish to offer other members here to "sign up" on this project if you seem interested. The requirements are simple and easy. You must have some understanding of most of the characters (Well, of course! you've read some of the books right?) and some understanding of basic astrology (this last one is optional, you can just come by to learn ). Another is that you would feel obligated or responsible enough to meet simple deadlines. If you can write an classroom essay on time, you can pass this one.

If you feel that you are interested in astrology and the character's in lotr, and have read the requirements, you may send me a message via my account to request a spot on the project.

Any questions? You can leave them here. I will try to answer them all. If you see that your question is already posted, read the reply to save space.

Thank you! Hope you the reader feel intrigued.

~Ka~
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 02:53 PM   #2
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril A couple of questions

So what exactly is the aim of this project? To analyze the characters' traits by the stars/planets under which they were born?

And what sort of responsibilities will this require? You say it would just be "simple deadlines," so hopefully I can get in some astrological fun between the various essays I'm supposed to be writing...
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 05:45 PM   #3
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril Good Questions...

Well, for your first question. Yes and both no. One thing that Tolkien has a habit is that he does not provide us with full birthdate, time of birthdate, location of birthdate, ect. Which are very important in astrology. But, there are loopholes you might say. If you know about your twelve major signs, and what sets them apart from others (characteristics) then you will find this very fun. As for birthdates, the only one provided (Besides both Bilbo and Frodo) is that of Aragorn and he is born on March 1, which would make him a Pisces, the Compassionate. I promise not to become too complicated in my teachings so, this will be just the basics of astrology. When i do have a well educated team, then we will get a little more into the inner mechanisms.

For you second question, yes you will have to write about your findings and thoughts. Giving an explanation is also part of it. So, basically, support your facts or findings. As for fun, well, expecting this from me and how i only hang around in middle earth mirth, yes there's going to be many jokes about some of our findings.

If you are interested in learning before a team is essembled, check these resources out. They are a great help:

www.astrologycom.com i swear everytime that this site was written by a student of the great Isabel M. Hickey. Sometimes i find direct quotes. On a rating of one to ten on factual and strait-forward info. this site is a ten of great acheivement.

Books: Most factual astrology info. (that isn't a big waste of publication) are some of the older books. try to avoid books that specify only on one aspect (ex. " Ted's Guide to Sun signs in the north node"). This for you as a beginner will confuse you beyond belief. Below are some books that are tried and tested and get my seal of believeable:

What's Your Sign? A Cosmic Guide for Young Astrologers
by Madalyn Aslan, Jennifer Kalis
yes, yes, you may be thinking "i'm not a kid!" But, believe me, it will help you out alot. This is wonderful first steps for any beginner wether you're 7 or 67. It explains the who, what ,when, where and why. It also, unlike most astrology explains the greek orgins of the signs. very, very good resource.

Heaven Knows What: Do Your Own Horoscope in Just 30 Minutes! (Llewellyn's Popular Astrology Series)
by Grant Lewi
This book is the ULTIMATE resource for any beginner. i absolutely love this book. Clear to the point, down to earth, Lewi explains every thing to you with ease. Confidguring youre birth chart is as easy as matching shapes with this book. I suggest that you read this as your first book.(this book is a second addition but, still the same as the first. The only difference is that the older one says, "in just 15 minutes"

Intuitive Astrology : Follow Your Best Instincts to Become Who You Always Intended to Beby ELIZABETH ROSE CAMPBELL

most beginner's and even professionals think that your horoscope is set in stone, and that's how it will always be. Yeah, right! This book gives a unique look at some of the most forgotten basics of astrology. this book gives clear steps as to how to read signs, houses, ect. with ease, also how to understand yourself or other signs. A good book for the beginner with some experience with other authors or, just little experience.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:44 PM   #4
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thanks for those answers, sounds pretty good to me.

I've got two books on astrology; one is a coffee-table book from the 60s or 70s that I found on the living room bookshelf, and it was what first got me interested in astrology. It's called "The Compleat Astrologer," and while it's a little dated it's still very informative. The newer one I have which I used to do my horoscope/birth chart belongs to the KISS ("Keep it Simple, Stupid") series, and it's full of nifty facts and tables and whatnot. Unfortunately they won't be of any help on this project, but it's still quite helpful.

I've bookmarked the site you provided; I'll be sure to check that out.

Hey, Downers, come join the fun!
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 08:46 PM   #5
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Bookmarked the site, now to find the time to look around... Anyway, it sounds like a load of fun. I've always wanted to learn more about astrology and such things, but always had other priorities or forgotten about it.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:41 PM   #6
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White Tree

Yeah. Astrology has always been a 'read on the southsound buses while going to work' hobby. But, i have found that with the right resources it won't discourage you. I have soo much material prepared. one of the first will be the " The Water&fate trio" essay, focusing mostly on the characters that proably or most definately have water signs (Cancer, Scorpio, Pisces). Just to give you all an advanced view. Next i think i will explain or rather discuss the dilemma of which sign is which for frodo and bilbo (sept.22 falls on a switch over date in the astrological calendar! very confusing! but, fun to find out.) Just to give a heads up, there will be alot of Hypothesizing and hopeful guesses for us all to make. So, with that in mind, not all answers are "concrete". You will proably change them often upon recieveing new information.

hope this helps! And a big cosmic thank you to all who wish to join! You don't know how long i've wanted to start this!

~Ka~