The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-30-2004, 04:45 PM   #1
FairLadyGoldberry
Pile O'Bones

FairLadyGoldberry has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to FairLadyGoldberry
Sting Horses at the Black Gate

First of all, I'm sorry if this question has been asked or posted before. Ok, now then...<P>When everyone rides to the Black Gate of Mordor to distract Sauron's gaze away from Frodo, Aragorn, Gandalf and the rest are all on horses. Then they ride up and call for lord of the black lands to come out and they are still on horses. When the orcs, trolls, and such emerge, and Aragorn says "For Frodo" all of the horses they were riding on seem to disappear. <P>What happened to the horses? Do you think that will be explained in the EE with the Mouth of Sauron, or did I just miss something in the movie?
Old 01-31-2004, 05:08 AM   #2
Thorongil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thorongil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Thorongil
Sting

I couldn't find it in the book either. There it said the the armies of the West rode to the Black Gate, and when the orcs came out the stood on two hills. The only ones with horses were those who rode to the gate to talk with the Mouth of Sauron.<P>Maybe it was inconvenient to have horses there.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:48 AM   #3
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There certainly were scenes cut from the Black Gate Opens sequence (most notably the Mouth of Sauron). One can only assume that the disappearing horses resulted from the cuts. Perhaps this will be more clear in the extended edition.<P>H.C.
Old 01-31-2004, 06:22 PM   #4
Eothain Elfwine
Animated Skeleton

Eothain Elfwine has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I did notice that! It greatly amused me.
Old 01-31-2004, 06:39 PM   #5
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
Sting

I did notice that too but I had just asumed that they got off their horses to fight.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> One can only assume that the disappearing horses resulted from the cuts. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>This is most likely true. I was looking forward to the mouth of Sauron in ROTK, so it will hopefully be in the EE and explain these disappearing horses.
Old 01-31-2004, 09:41 PM   #6
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

It IS interesting that we don't see where Brego went. Maybe he went back to the toy modeling company, seeing as how he's sitting underneath Aragorn on my bookshelf!<P>I happen to know who kills the Mouth of Sauron! Anybody want to know?
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 09:45 PM   #7
Gil Galad
Haunting Spirit

Gil Galad has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gil Galad Send a message via Yahoo to Gil Galad
Sting

I do Knight, tell me!!!!!!!!!!!

Certainty of death, small chance of success... what are we waiting for?- Gimli ROTK
Gil Galad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 11:20 PM   #8
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Maybe they got scared and ran away...<P>Yes, I would guess that the disappearance will most likely be explained in the extended edition. They probably ran away when the Mouth of Sauron came out or something like that, or Aragorn made a decision that hand-to-hand combat would be much more useful in a battle against a whole bunch of Mordor orcs.<P>I just noticed this whole thing the last time I saw ROTK, and I too found it quite amusing.
Old 02-01-2004, 03:56 PM   #9
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

SPOILERS: Who kills the Mouth of Sauron?<BR>*<BR>*<BR>*<BR>*<BR>*<BR>*<BR>*<BR>*<BR >*<BR>*<BR>*<BR>*<BR>*<BR>*<BR>*<BR>*<BR>*<BR>I would have thought Pippin would have been given the honor, since Merry had a hand in the slaying of the Witchking, but 'tis not so. Actually, I found out while playing Lord of the Rings Trivial Pursuits. The question was, who killed the Mouth of Sauron in the third movie? I was understandably granted a pass on that question!! But it was Aragorn who did him in.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 05:56 PM   #10
FairLadyGoldberry
Pile O'Bones

FairLadyGoldberry has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to FairLadyGoldberry
Sting

Interesting indeed! Thanks for the scoop, Knight of Gondor!
Old 02-02-2004, 06:58 PM   #11
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Sting

That outta be interesting to watch.<BR>ON TOPIC:<P>Yes, I noticed the sudden absence of the horses. It was very amusing. You assume that everyone dismounted and the horses just wandered off conveniently and...<P>-5 years later-<P>A young Rohirrim boy on the eastern outskirts of Rohan is riding on a small pony after first learning to ride. He's eager to test his skills.<P>Just then he sees an army of about 10,000 horses galloping riderless across the plains.<BR>"Can't wait to tell dad about this."<P>(They should've added that scene to RotK as an epilogue, and for the horse fans)

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 07:47 PM   #12
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Hmmm... perhaps Brego will pull a Shadowfax and knock the Mouth of Sauron over, while Aragorn skewers him with Anduril. <P> <P>*eagerly looks forward to the Return of the King EE DVD*
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote