The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2004, 11:09 AM   #1
Boromir of Gondor

Question Concerning Applause

It was When i went to see ROTK on the 21st december, that this first came to mind a year before when seeing TTT i was awestruck at legolas' moves, when he jumps on the shield and slides down the stairs picking of uruks with his arrows then finally jumping off the shield, only for the shield to skewer an uruk in the chest.<P>The audience behind burst into applause and i couldn't help joining in. The same happened this year when legolas again astounded the audience by killing an Oliphaunt single handedly by first climbing the leg, then shooting the Haradrim on top, followed by cutting the rope round which held the tower on top, then pulling himself up while the tower was falling, then pulling three arrows out shooting the Oliphaunt in the head, as it falls to the ground slides down it's tusks.<P>I couldn't help joining with the applause, anywho the morale of the post is did any one in your movie theatre applaud at any point in the movie?.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:31 AM   #2
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I have heard of numerous occasions where a crowd (noticeably American crowds) burst into applause in a cinema. Being a Scot (and this could be seen as rather different to being a Brit) I have never even once heard applause during a film in a cinema.<P>And I appreciate it very much so. Even when someone laughs loudly during a film it irks me no end. A huge burst of applause would infuriate me.
Old 01-17-2004, 12:11 PM   #3
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

I am an American and I never heard any claping at that part. The first time I saw it on the 19th of December I heard some "ooohs" and 'aaahhs" but that was about it. The next three times I saw it the audience was silent. Although I am in Wisconsin and we are not overly excitable people.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 12:18 PM   #4
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

On the first night, there was a lot of applause. Mainly at the beginning, when the adverts were finally out the way, and at the end when it was finally over.<P>Every time I've been since, there's always been applause when Gimli says "that still only counts as one!".
Old 01-17-2004, 01:23 PM   #5
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Well, I live in America, and the first time I went (on the 17th), there was applause when Legolas entered Frodo's bedroom at the end, and then there was applause for Aragorn as well, and I had to put in my vote for Sam. And then everyone clapped at the end (when it said "The End", that is, not during any dialogue or anything). And I quite liked it. The other two times I've been, I can't remember detecting any applause. So I think there was applause on the first night, because that's when all the really big fans go, or so it seems. I think there was some scattered applause at Sam's big heroic moments, too, but I'm not positive. It seems that Americans have no qualms about applauding when they really get into it, but the ones who do get into it are the avid fans and the teenagers (two categories that often overlap).

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 03:05 PM   #6
Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

England, here... On the first night people cheered and clapped for Leggy and Eowyn. (Extremely unusual, I must say- never witnessed that sort of reaction though there was a gasp when Leggy did his horse thing in TT). And I must admit I gasped inadvertently when Leggy came in Frodo's room...and again when he wore his crown... <BR>Then three days later- nothing. Though my friend said when she went to see it, her sister saw it with all her friends and they all screamed in the credits. No prizes for guessing which name they screamed at. I'd have loved to have witnessed that...would have been so funny, and I'd probably have joined in... um, yeah...<BR>Can't say I minded the cheering. Wonderful atmosphere! And actually it seemed to be all grown men (Weren't they meant to be at work? It was 3:15pm!!!), as opposed to teenage girls- hence no screaming in the credits, and only quiet gasps, which got me funny looks from my friends. (Something else did too, but I don't think I'll say...)
Old 01-17-2004, 03:13 PM   #7
Rilwen Gamgee

Rilwen Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Yes, I've heard many applauses and outbursts of laughter during the 2 times I saw "RotK" (I'm in the US). When Legolas kills the Oliphaunt, or pretty much ANY time that Legolas does something cool, for that matter , a few scattered claps when Sam defeats Shelob, and a random "WOO!" from a woman in the audience as Legolas walks into Frodo's room at the end of the movie in his oh-so-spiffy shirt. There was PLENTY of cheering at the premier of "TTT" in my area, but being stuck in a theater full of Ringies, you'd probably expect that.
Rilwen Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 03:36 PM   #8
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I have never even once heard applause during a film in a cinema.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Fear not, Eomer; you're not the only one to experience an entirely un-reactionary audience! I think I might have clapped quietly when the Witchking met his end, but aside from a few well-placed laughs (namely "In fact, it's better if you do not talk at all, Peregrin Took."), there was no audience reaction. Perhaps they were like I. Wrapped in the spell that was Return of the King. <P>Meela! You stole my icon! *Draws sword* Why not put a flaming Denethor of doom up there?
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 04:38 PM   #9
Armetiel
Haunting Spirit

Armetiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well when the film ends there is always a lot of applause at our cinema, but yes there is always scattered applause throughout the movie as well. Yes I believe there was definately applause when Legolas was fighting on the Oliphaunt, and also of course when Gwaihir rescues Frodo and Samwise, and also when Samwise defeats Shelob. It doesn't bother me to have applause in the cinema and I often find myself applauding along with it without thinking about it (probably due to habit from applauding figure skaters at competitions when everyone else does (or when they don't lol) at skating shows I'm often the only one to give a standing Ovation for someone that I like, so this could have some effect on it not bothering me in the slightest) but, back on topic...although I do remember applause from TTT i do not remember specifically which parts there was applause at. I am going to ROTK again on Tuesday, and I'll try to pay attention to exactly which parts the applause come in on.
Old 01-17-2004, 06:13 PM   #10
Jjudvven
Wight

Jjudvven has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jjudvven
Sting

I had the same thing. There was much applause and much laughter when Legolas did his stunts, in the TT and also in the RotK, at least on the opening days. The second time I saw each of them there was no applause, although there were a few chuckles.
Old 01-17-2004, 06:20 PM   #11
Enedbelethiel
Animated Skeleton

Enedbelethiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I live on the upper east coast in America, and we are famous (and, I'll admit, kind of proud) for being loudmouths. Every screening that I have seen of all the LOTR movies have been interactive experiences. Oohs, aahs, laughter, funny comments, cheering, wild applause, booing, gasping - you name it, I've witnessed and sometimes have taken part in it. It's wonderful to be in the midst of so many people who are readily enchanted by the magic of movies, especially those in the LOTR trilogy. A completely silent theater would drive me nuts! But, to each his own
Old 01-17-2004, 07:40 PM   #12
Linaeve
Animated Skeleton

Linaeve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Linaeve
Sting

Unfortunately, all I heard (aside from the movie itself) when I went to see the movie were snide comments from the row of guys sitting behind me. I didn't even hear any 'oohs' or 'aahhhhs'. And I'm an American
Old 01-17-2004, 09:31 PM   #13
QuickSlash
Wight

QuickSlash has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to QuickSlash Send a message via Yahoo to QuickSlash
Shield

On the day of the premiere to RotK, we had a huge snowstorm. Thus, the only people who were at the showing (which wasn't even filled due to this crazy weather) were people who really, really wanted to see it. No one made any noise. Second time I saw it, there was some laughter, some applause, but it was rare. <P>Personally, I'd rather go to a quiet theather. I don't want to hear people's reactions to it, unless it's a really blatant comedy where you can't help but laugh. Here's one more reason for me to go to Scotland!
Old 01-17-2004, 10:03 PM   #14
Gashberz
Haunting Spirit

Gashberz has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gashberz
Sting

We got so much applause it was awesome. Everyone was dressed up ( i went as a soldier of gondor) It was sooo cool. Massive cheering massive yelling and applauding, it was a night to remember...<BR> -CHEERS!
Old 01-18-2004, 02:26 AM   #15
Maltagaerion
Haunting Spirit

Maltagaerion has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

As for audience reactions I've noticed that it pretty much depends on when you go. When you see the movie on opening weekend, its generally the people who *want* to see it and are totally into that particular movie. Not just talking about the LotR movies, I've noticed this about many movies.<P>Go to the same movie a week or two later after opening weekend, and then its generally filled with people who are either settling for that movie, or have already seen it a few times. In my experience movies viewed a while after opening weekend don't get the same audience reaction as the movie would on opening weekend.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:49 AM   #16
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dūm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

The only film I've been in where anyone's clapped was Peter Pan. The audience I was with laughed a lot, especially at most of Gimli's lines. But there was this person sitting beside me who kind of annoyed me. They laughed at all of the parts that where blatantly not funny. I don't mind people laughing or anything like that, but it was like:<P>Don't go where I can't follow...<BR> *snort*<BR>My friends, you bow to *snort* no *snort* one<P>I could have kicked them! The best line in the whole entire movie, and they go and irritate me. Plus they sat there and chomped their way through a massive box of pop corn and two bags (sacks more like) of sweets. I was like 'it's three hours, not three days. You're hardly going to starve.'<P>Sorry about that. And is it just me or does anyone else cheer when that certificate thing comes up just before the movie begins? I always do, because it signifies the end of the stupid adverts. But last time I cheered and no one else did, and I looked very stupid.
Old 01-18-2004, 12:21 PM   #17
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dūm

SamwiseGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Daisy, I couldn't agree with you more! I despise with a bitter vitriol the people who laugh at blatantly unfunny parts of the movie. For example, a woman who laughed at Frodo being stung by Shelob. Why is that funny and not, in fact, incredibly sad and painful? There are others. Those who laugh every time Gollum calls Sam fat. Ok, it was perhaps mildly amusing in TTT (Stupid, fat hobbit!) but it's not funny when they're in Mordor, Gollum is clearly about to betray Frodo, Sam's heart is breaking to let his beloved Mr. Frodo see the light of this villain and some 13 year old cretin with a bag of extra crunchy sweets and a coke with ice in it is sitting behind me laughing? NO!!! Ahem. Sorry.<BR>I agree, though, with Eomer. I am a fellow Scot and I much prefer the silent cinema I'd be driven by the kind of experience Enedbelethiel has. But it is completely a case of each to his own.<BR>P.S.- the sound of someone crying is ok.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:51 PM   #18
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

No applause this night, but one girl laughed very loudly and kept on dropping things on purpose quite frequently. And right in the middle of the silent parts.<P>It was actually quite amusing to me. It was rather cute, and I often found myself laughing with her as well as at her.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:11 PM   #19
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, only having seen it in a small English town cinema, the only noises were a gasp when Frodo was stung (I found that quite amusing) a few general titters wherever and someone loudly blowing their nose (extremely amusing to my mind). Never any applauding, not any movie at any time anywhere have I heard anyone clap in a cinema and what's the point? It's not like a theatre when the actors are actually there.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:13 PM   #20
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The first cheer was by me and that was when Éomer came at the beginning. <P>Then at a very tender Frodo/Sam bit some guy fell down the stairs in the cinema and everyone cheered for him.

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 06:54 PM   #21
Eruanna
Memento Mori

Eruanna has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Never any applauding, not any movie at any time anywhere have I heard anyone clap in a cinema and what's the point? It's not like a theatre when the actors are actually there. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I quite agree dragoneyes. In over thirty years of cinema going I have never experienced this either. <BR>I have seen RotK twice so far and the only noise that came from the audience were gasps, laughter and the occasional sound of sniffling into handkerchiefs (all in the appropriate places) <BR>Perhaps it is natural British reserve. Or perhaps good manners. After all, the film is not paused whilst the audience applauds, and important points can be missed (very annoying). Unlike live theatre where the actors can insert a necessary pause into the proceedings to accommodate the audience reaction.<p>[ 7:55 PM January 18, 2004: Message edited by: Eruanna ]
Old 01-18-2004, 09:47 PM   #22
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I was with a plethora of friends, who are all Ringies, so we clapped/cheered and did just about everything possible at all the right parts. I think the rest of the audience was mainly composed of Ringies, or wannabe-Ringies, so there was a LOT of applause.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fėanor, and there he slew Finwė King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwė alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 03:36 PM   #23
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

I think everyone has at least one time when they are the annoying one during a movie. The first time I seen it no one was annoying. The second time there was this old fat man sitting behind me who commented and 'predicted' through the whole thing, all of his predictions were wrong. The third time there was this little kid in front of me who kept getting up. The fourth time it was my friend, her brother, and my turn. We must have been really really annoying. My friend and I kept arguing about who was hotter. She liked Aragorn where I like Legolas. Her brother..well he swore at everyone on the screen. Example when Denethor was mean to Faramir he called him a Freaking Dust Bag. Then when Shelob was over Frodos head he said, 'There is a freaking 12 foot spider over his head!" Of course he said the acutal words (not freak and dust) and he said them when everyone else was quite so I am assuming that many people heard him. <p>[ 4:38 PM January 19, 2004: Message edited by: Silmiel of Imladris ]

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 06:21 PM   #24
The Last Good Orc

The Eye

Applause in the theater used to annoy me for some of the same reasons aforementioned, but primarily because it seemed so completely pointless (cast and crew being absent, and all). I mean, how many of us, upon finishing a great novel, really feel the need to "give it up" for its particular author, regardless of the fact that he's not even present (or likely alive) to hear it? <P>But over the years, I've come to appreciate the phenomenon for what I think it truly is: a celebration of individual humanity as realized through the sharing of an experience with other humans. It has more to do with communing with our neighbors in a public space (a primal social need religion used to provide) than it does with showing our appreciation for the work itself. Of course, this response is only triggered when an audience is moved through an access of emotion, whether positive or negative, so it really speaks to the quality of the work when a film achieves it to such a lofty degree as that witnessed with ROTK. But YMMV.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:05 PM   #25
Laitoste
Wight

Laitoste has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

When I went, there was no obvious audience reaction (except laughter, of course, oh, and my crying, but only to myself). The only time I've really experienced anyone applauding at the end of the movie was at the end of Seabiscuit, which my mom and I went to opening day (she loves horses). That was an excellent movie, though. I've never been able to go to LOTR opening day, and I really feel that I have missed out because of it.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:05 PM   #26
FairLadyGoldberry
Pile O'Bones

FairLadyGoldberry has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to FairLadyGoldberry
Sting

When Gollum gets the ring from Frodo in Mount Doom some people started clapping...it was very odd. I guess they were happy that Gollum finally got what he wanted but...hmmm...<P>Also some people around me kept joking about how blindingly white Gandalf was...sigh...and they also laughed when Frodo was bound in Cirith Ungol. They were calling "put some clothes on!" and such. It quite ruined the mood.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:49 PM   #27
Teleri
Animated Skeleton

Teleri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I mean, how many of us, upon finishing a great novel, really feel the need to "give it up" for its particular author, regardless of the fact that he's not even present (or likely alive) to hear it? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I never "give it up" for a book, though sometimes I have to bite my lip to nearly bleeding point when something is really funny, sad, or just too suspenseful. <P>I know what you guys mean about Americans. I'm on the east coast, and when I went to see the movie... well:<P>1. The group of kids behind me wouldn't shut up, and they insulted each character in turn as they appeared on the screen.<P>2. When ever Gollom said "the fat hobbit" everyone burst out in laughter (that was mildly amusing in TTT, but now it's old, and I would rather hear about "Slinker and Stinker").<P>3. Someone actually farted while the camera was zooming in on the tower at Cirith Ungol (and this caused snickers from the group behind me). <P>4. Legolos got lots of claps every time he took a step. While people just snickered when Sam said "Don't go where I can't follow."<P>5. They clapped at the end of the film too, and I wanted to scream "BE QUIET" because "Into the West" was playing, and I wanted to hear it.<P>and I saved the best for last <P>6. A woman brought Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix in to the movie with her, along with a book light, and laughed out loud a few times when she'd read something funny! I LOVE the Harry Potter books, but at the Return of the King movie, well... there's a place and time for everything...
Old 01-22-2004, 04:33 AM   #28
Moonmaid
Pile O'Bones

Moonmaid has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

No, I have never heard anyone applause in the movies, but I would assume that at least on 17th there would have been cheers and applause at the end of ROTK even here in Finland. But to tell the truth, I'm enormouslu irritated whenever I hear someone commenting on the happenings on screen or laugh loudly (when others do not).
Old 01-22-2004, 06:06 AM   #29
zb
Haunting Spirit

zb has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*Bows head in shame*<P>I have a confession to make. When I went with some friends to see TT on the 2nd day, I had a fit of bad-audience-member-ness. Not only did I take my knitting out and (very quietly, I might add) do a couple of rows while Aragorn was dreaming or Arwen, I was one of <I>those</I> dumb comment makers.<P>The friend I was sitting next to (who was not at all a ringie) had decided that Gollum was a cute little creature and had very quiety informed me of the fact. This is background to my moment of suckiness.<P>When Frodo says: I can't leave [gollum] (or words to that effect), I very quietly said to my friend: 'cos he's so cuuute. Well, I thought it was very quietly. Unfortunately, I'd misjudged the pitch of my voice and was heard by a few people around me, who thought it was quite funny, and giggled. <P>Heck, I thought it was quite funny until I saw RotK and got quite annoyed by various dumb whispered comments which were too loud. Now I feel bad.<P>There's a bucket of tomatoes in the corner, if you wanna ditch 'em at me...
"Do you think I am trying to weave a spell? Perhaps I am; but remember your fairy tales. Spells are used for breaking enchantments as well as inducing them. And you and I have need of the strongest spell that can be found to wake us from the evil enchantment of worldliness..." - C.S. Lewis
zb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 06:23 AM   #30
PoisonIvy
Pile O'Bones

PoisonIvy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Unnecessary comments from moviegoers really do irritate the most of us, me included. I consider myself an intense viewer. As much as I would like to watch the movie alone at home (on DVD), the movie version (with the big screen and the surround sound) will always bring a different experience to movie-watching. But don't worry, I won't throw a tomato. <P>Unfortunately, I didn't hear any clapping from the audience in all of the three instances that I have watched RotK. But "ohhhs" and "ahhhs" are clearly audible. That perhaps expressed their sentiments towards the movie scenes.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:21 PM   #31
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Sting

I feel really guilty, I think I'm a very bad mannered movie goer. It's just that I get so excited that I want to shout things out. During the battle scenes at ROTK, it didn't matter because everybody was calling things out and laughing and cheering. In ROTK no one clapped especially at any part but the beginning(we were anxious). But at FOTR I destinctly remember everyone in the theater(Canadian, by the way) bursting out in enthusiastic applause when Lurtz got his head chopped off. It didn't feel planned or forced at all, I think people were so into the movie it was just a reflex.<P>I don't know about the American stereo type, I clap at movies when something really great and <I>unexpected</I> happens.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 04:01 PM   #32
Enorėiel
Wight

Enorėiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I absolutely love being in theaters where people cheer and applaud! Unfortunately, however, Utah doesn't seem to be a very outspoken theater people place (that make sense?) Luckily! I went and saw ROTK opening night and midnight and was fortunate enough to have the best theater group in the place! At every exciting or fun place there was cheering, applause and laughter! For example; after the beacons are lit and Aragorn runs in to tell King Theoden about it and then there's this long pause as everyone awaited his answer. When he finally said "And Rohan will answer" I wanted to cheer at the top of my lungs and so (it seemed) did everyone else. Cheers filled the theater making the moment only more great! This happened through all the other great parts in the movie (esp. Eowyn's "I am no man").<P>Unfortuntely when I went to see it again 3 days later with some friends the audience was silent. I wanted to cheer again at certain points but no one else was and, well, I'm not that outspoken of a person

Whoever said "Nothing is impossible" never tried to slam a revolving door.
Enorėiel is offline   Reply With Quote