The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2008, 03:46 PM   #1
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
White Tree Queen of Queens

I dedicate this thread to Betheberry, who gave me the idea of starting this thread.

The rules are simple: nominate your Queen, who you like the most and tell us a little bit about the queen and why you nominat her.

Since I don't know any Queens of Middle Earth I'll put my choice in later.

Have Fun,
Grion Redbeard

Last edited by Groin Redbeard; 02-11-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Groin Redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:58 PM   #2
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Queen Beruthiel, she liked cats, good enough reason for me
Old 01-07-2008, 05:11 PM   #3
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
My choice is Melian, queen of Doriath. She was one of the wisest beings in Middle-earth, her enchantments protected her whole land, and she was a Maia. There are more reasons than these ones, but those are the basics.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:26 AM   #4
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
Queen Beruthiel, she liked cats, good enough reason for me
I wish there was more written about Beruthiel Though I imagine she has inspired a few RPG characters and whatnot.

Is it just me or does she make other people think of the fabulous Countess Gertrude Groan in Gormenghast? It must be the thing about the cats...
Old 01-08-2008, 01:28 PM   #5
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
White Tree

The title "Queen of Queens" inspires to nominate the city of Minas Tirith, because of a very beautiful quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Window on the West
"For myself", said Faramir, "I would like to see the White Tree in flower again in the courts of the kings, and the Silver Crown return, and Minas Tirith in peace: Minas Anor again as of old, full of light, high and fair, beautiful as a queen among other queens: not a mistress of many slaves, nay, not even a kind mistress of willing slaves."
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:47 PM   #6
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
As a Telcontar, I of course vote for Arwen Evenstar as the Queen to top all other Queens. Though she doesn't stand in the limelight, we know from the story in Appendix A that she had power that was used very subtly. She was the secret behind the winning of the War of the Ring, since Aragorn would have lacked impetus without her to inspire him. The fact that she and Aragorn were one in their hope for victory strengthened him so that he did not lose hope.

It took courage to remain behind when the other Elves left, to face death of her own free will - I think she is often grossly underestimated.

As a fabric artist I appreciate the love, hope, and labour with patience and endurance that she invested in the standard she made for Aragorn. No mere needlework that!

And she provided for the continuation of the Telcontar dynasty by giving birth to Eldarion, the heir.

Lommy, that is a wonderful quote and a unique idea!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:27 PM   #7
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
I wish there was more written about Beruthiel Though I imagine she has inspired a few RPG characters and whatnot.

Is it just me or does she make other people think of the fabulous Countess Gertrude Groan in Gormenghast? It must be the thing about the cats...
Having never heard of her I can't comment but she does remind me a little of

Old 01-08-2008, 02:28 PM   #8
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
If she counts.....

It has to be Idril. She was not only beautiful but wise, brave and proactive. By her forethought some of her people were saved. She was a great judge of character and the only elven lady who managed to wed her mortal beau without upsetting Daddy.

For me she wins hands down.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:56 PM   #9
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Well, in the very first moment I thought about Galadriel, though she was not a Queen by title but definitely would have deserved it. But right after that, I thought about Melian, so I second McCaber, but not in the reasons he names: wise, surely; the way she protects her land, of course - and I should add also the way she handles her husband even though he sometimes acts like if he was totally dumb (same could be said, in lesser extent, about Galadriel); but being a Maia is, in my opinion, not a thing that would be of any value. Gandalf is not superior to Imrahil in my eyes because he is Maia and Imrahil is a simple Man (maybe with a little bit of Elven blood), but because of what he did. Actually, nothing against Imrahil, he's cool.

Speaking of superior powers, another queen nominated could be of course Varda, who is really a Queen of Queens in the very sense of it.

But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
Lommy, that is a wonderful quote and a unique idea!
Seconded. That's just brilliant and I must say very innovative. Lommy, you know what: they should cut it to five or even less
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:22 AM   #10
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
You know what, you poeple just reminded me of Melian of Doriath...I admire her!
Old 01-10-2008, 02:57 PM   #11
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
Having never heard of her I can't comment but she does remind me a little of

A suitable avatar for several of us Downers methinks. I'm quite looking forwards to being an elderly cat lady

Actually, another 'Queen' who I find fascinating is Ungoliant. She may not have had a crown but she was the queen of all spider-shaped beings. Where did she come from? It's not clear, but maybe from outside creation itself. She was corrupted by Morgoth but then left him. She spawned thousands of other spiders...she was kind of like an anti-Melian, something from 'outside' which bred with earthly creatures, and the whole 'devouring light' thing is fascinating.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:17 PM   #12
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I haven't found any Queen that stands out in my mind. Galadriel would certainly be my choice, but she's not technically a queen.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:40 PM   #13
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Maybe Elwing? Or Erendis? I haven't really decided yet.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:06 AM   #14
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

In my opinion Erendis wasn't a good queen. All she seemed to do was nag Aldarion.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:02 PM   #15
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
True. I vote Goldberry (well, she sort of was a queen)
Old 02-09-2008, 08:22 AM   #16
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
True. I vote Goldberry (well, she sort of was a queen)
Isn't that the wife of Tom Bombadil?
Old 02-09-2008, 09:33 AM   #17
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
It was not directly stated that it had to be a queen of Tolkien's univers. . .so I shall choose Emma of Normandy or Margrethe I of Denmark.

Actually i am just stalling for time as I cannot come up with an answer. . . .As you might know I have a pasionate love for Galadriel, but as you said she was not queen and neither was Nimrodel which would be my second choise. (really only because I loved "Song of Nimrodel" as it was preformed by The Tolkien Ensemble)

Ok then it must be Anairë , little is know of her but I really like Fingolfin.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 12:25 PM   #18
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I'd say Varda. After all, she is the queen of the King of Arda, so beautiful there are no words fit to describe her, and then there are the stars... *sigh* Ah, the amateur astronomer gets all weak in the knees. She also gets some of the loveliest Elvish poetry: A Elbereth Gilthoniel, silivren penna miriel...

Last edited by Ibrîniðilpathânezel; 02-09-2008 at 12:28 PM. Reason: added thought
Ibrîniðilpathânezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:48 AM   #19
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
Isn't that the wife of Tom Bombadil?
Yes, but isn't Tom Bambadil the Master (which I know isn't king, but is actually a higher postion in his case). And she is his wife...
Old 02-10-2008, 08:01 PM   #20
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
Yes, but isn't Tom Bambadil the Master (which I know isn't king, but is actually a higher postion in his case). And she is his wife...
the question was who was the queen of queens and an empress or a godess is no more a queen than a servant or a frog.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:33 AM   #21
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Mr Redbeard? Can we have a ruling on this? Does it need to be an actual queen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post

Oh, I imagine Beruthiel makes everyone who has read Titus Groan and Gormenghast think of Countess Gertrude. But that would be what– fifty people?
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:25 AM   #22
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hmm... after giving this matter much thought (3 seconds) I have decided that we can make a few exceptions. She at least must be some type of a ruler.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:32 AM   #23
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
She at least must be some type of a ruler.
That does not seem to help much. Under such circumstances, Goldberry should not count.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:38 AM   #24
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
That does not seem to help much. Under such circumstances, Goldberry should not count.
Welcome back Legate! Very well since bending the rules don't seem to help, the lady that you nominate must be a queen.

Last edited by Groin Redbeard; 02-12-2008 at 10:58 AM.
Groin Redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:39 AM   #25
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Goldberry rules the weather.